The ultimate split-stay thread

OP, this is an outstanding thread and I'll second all of the info in your introductory posts! We frequently split stays (see our upcoming AKL/GF/BWI split in my signature) and have always loved it. We've split as few as 2 nights and as many as 9. One other reason the splits work for us is that we're a family of five (our kids are ages 7 - 15) and we all have many different favorite resorts. The splits allow everyone to have some input, along with all of the benefits listed above.

OP has already covered all of this, but just wanted to mention how much I agree with the light packing/organizational advice. We just traveled to Europe and one of our drivers from a train station asked, "where is the rest of the luggage - is this is?" Yes! That's it! One small carry-on rolling bag and one small backpack per person for most of our vacations. No exceptions for runDisney events or MNSSHP. And we very rarely unpack our stuff, other than toiletries. Pretty much just zip the suitcases and call Bell Services or grab a cab.

We are doing a split stay at CSR for 5 nights with free dining and 6D theme park tickets (package) and at AOA for another 2 nights (room only).
At my 60-day window, will I be able to book FP+ for Day 8 as we will be taking a break from theme parks in between. Or we can only book up to Day 6?

We are doing a split stay at CSR for 5 nights with free dining and 6D theme park tickets (package) and at AOA for another 2 nights (room only).
At my 60-day window, will I be able to book FP+ for Day 8 as we will be taking a break from theme parks in between. Or we can only book up to Day 6?

I just booked my FP+ last night for my three resort split stay. I was able to book my 10 day tix over my entire 13 day stay - so, taking some resort/DTD/water parks days at certain points - no problem. As long as you are onsite and have the ticket days available, you should be fine.

I just booked my FP+ last night for my three resort split stay. I was able to book my 10 day tix over my entire 13 day stay - so, taking some resort/DTD/water parks days at certain points - no problem. As long as you are onsite and have the ticket days available, you should be fine.

:thumbsup2 We have done 3 FP+ reservations so far with split stays, and no problems at all with booking throughout the entire trip.

I'm planning our fourth WDW vacation and was lucky enough to fall into a split stay the first time and now book for each trip. First trip we booked at Poly but decided to add 4 extra days and was able to rent points to stay at BWV 1-bed. Now my DH insists on BWV 1-bd so that he can have some down time from, as he calls us, his four girls. DH and I appreciate our own Bedroom even now more that the three girls have all hit teens years. We have found renting points for a one bedroom cheaper than staying at MK resort.

We also have found that we can almost eliminate the bus completely by doing a split stay. We do MK resort first three days and hit MK 2x and Ak. We have become so spoiled that we pay the $20 and take a taxi to AK. Then we spend the next four days at EPCOT resort and go back and forth from HS and EP.

We also have learned on our move day to plan as if we do not get in our room until 4pm. We sleep in go to MK then go to BWV from MK around 3pm and check in.

We had three resorts and 15 magic bands on our NYE trip last year and everything work well. We did have a couple bands not able to open the door at our third resort but it was fixed with a trip to the front desk.

Thank you for taking the time to put together this fabulous thread!

We are doing a split stay this year for the first time but it's not a typical split-stay, per se. We have always wanted to check out a Value and decided to stay just one night at POP (RO reservation) before heading to CBR (MYW + Dining Package) instead of staying off property that first night.

My question is, will we be able to pick up our free refillable cups at POP or do we have to wait until we check in at CBR to get those?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Jen, thanks for your reply. That's what I figured but I was hopeful...BTW, I'm from CO as well :)

Well, hello neighbor! Are you getting the rain? We have the same situation, BTW...no DDP our first two nights and I will miss not having my coffee-filled mug to sip while waiting for the park bus!

Well, hello neighbor! Are you getting the rain? We have the same situation, BTW...no DDP our first two nights and I will miss not having my coffee-filled mug to sip while waiting for the park bus!

It's drizzling and cold with possible snow tonight...I'm sooooo not ready for winter! I wanted the mug for my coffee as well, bummer. Have you done a split-stay before or is this your first? I'm really excited to find out what the Value's are like. Should be fun even though it really is for only a few hours in our case.

ETA: oops, should have paid attention to your siggy...

Thank you for taking the time to put together this fabulous thread! We are doing a split stay this year for the first time but it's not a typical split-stay, per se. We have always wanted to check out a Value and decided to stay just one night at POP (RO reservation) before heading to CBR (MYW + Dining Package) instead of staying off property that first night. My question is, will we be able to pick up our free refillable cups at POP or do we have to wait until we check in at CBR to get those? Thanks for your help :)

You're welcome! We are also checking out our first value (AoA) for our first night. And then moving to three more deluxe hotels for the rest of the week (3 nights at AKL, 2 nights at GF, then one night at BC). I'm kind of hoping we like the value as it might make another yearly trip to Disney affordable! :)

Wow. Good job on this thread! :yay:

Well, DH and I are staying at 5 wdw hotels (in 7 days) in November!

We'll spend only 1 day in the park (between 2 nights at the same resort).

We're planning our first split stay. Originally we planned a 6 night stay at POFQ to celebrate our 30th anniversary with our three sons and one girlfriend. I got an idea to see if my DH would be ok with a few nights at the BW prior to the kids joining us. He agreed. I was able to get the fall discount at the BW for two nights and then we'll move over to POFQ. I'm sure I won't be ready to check out of the BW. :-) I'm looking very forward to this trip. :-)

It's drizzling and cold with possible snow tonight...I'm sooooo not ready for winter! I wanted the mug for my coffee as well, bummer. Have you done a split-stay before or is this your first? I'm really excited to find out what the Value's are like. Should be fun even though it really is for only a few hours in our case.

ETA: oops, should have paid attention to your siggy...

It did snow! Craziness. At least it didn't stick. We have split stayed every trip, even if just one late arrival night at a Value. We enjoyed exploring ASMO for a few hours. This time I wanted to do that at Pop at the beginning of our trip but, crazily enough, there were no discounts left for Pop but there were for POFQ so we are trying it for the first time.

It did snow! Craziness. At least it didn't stick. We have split stayed every trip, even if just one late arrival night at a Value. We enjoyed exploring ASMO for a few hours. This time I wanted to do that at Pop at the beginning of our trip but, crazily enough, there were no discounts left for Pop but there were for POFQ so we are trying it for the first time.

Woke to find the pilot light is out on the furnace. Have been freezing my tush off all day at home. Wasn't the sun supposed to come out today :confused: Oh, how I wish I was at WDW right about now :goodvibes

POFQ is another resort I'd love to try. We stayed at POR last year and loved every second. Maybe next year we'll split three ways... :stir:

We are doing a split stay in Nov. The first night at ASM and then moving to CSR. The park tickets are attached to the CSR reservation. Will we need to check in there first before we can use are park tickets?

Questions about luggage transfer and room assignments:

Is luggage held at the Bell Station when switching from one resort to another or is it delivered to your room if a room is ready even if you haven't yet checked in?

Can we request that our luggage be held at the Bell Station until we physically check-in?

And finally, do you have a better chance of having your room requests met if you physically check-in at the counter rather than having your luggage delivered to your room without being present?

Thank you for your help. It's greatly appreciated! :goodvibes

Is luggage held at the Bell Station when switching from one resort to another or is it delivered to your room if a room is ready even if you haven't yet checked in?

Can we request that our luggage be held at the Bell Station until we physically check-in?

They won't deliver it to your room unless you are there. That only happens with Magical Express, and it's because Disney has already tipped the people that deliver the bags. In your case, you might have tipped the people taking your bags, but you haven't tipped the people delivering the bags, and Bell/Luggage Services wants that tipping opportunity.

We are doing a split stay in Nov. The first night at ASM and then moving to CSR. The park tickets are attached to the CSR reservation. Will we need to check in there first before we can use are park tickets?

You should be fine. Guests can pick up park tickets up to three days before a package begins. You will need to go to a Guest Services counter at a park or at Downtown Disney on your ASM day to have them activate your tickets on your MB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter