Rawry: That’s me! 43
Mitchy Mama: My partner in Disney 39/40
Devo: The oldest son 16/17
JoJo: The middle child 13
Sissy: Her Highness 5
MeMe: Mother in Law ????

The Announcement

Tuesday, June 17th / Day 7

Today I woke up early and decided to catch up on some of our laundry. Between five people we sure can go through a lot of clothes. Everyone else was still sound asleep while I shoved all the clothes into two suitcases that I could wheel over to the Dolphin. At home I’m not allowed to do laundry. There have been incidents you know. I’ve washed things that were supposed to be hand washed, and let’s not even mention the sweater catastrophe. But on vacation where sleep is scarce, I’m allowed to perform this activity. It’s always an adventure to see how things will come out.

Upon arrival at the Laundromat there are two other guys standing outside and the doors are locked. I’m not alone in being allowed to do this laundry thing while everybody else sleeps in. We aren’t quite sure why the laundry was locked up, but it took about a half dozen calls to get someone to come down and open it up for us. As I fill the washers I am trying to be extra careful that whites go with other whites, etc.. Throw in some soap, choose the temperature and let those little machines do what they do best. Of course I came to find out that the washing machine that I put all of the colors in and chose cold wash only puts out hot water. Another machine fills with water but actually doesn’t do anything much more than that. So I have one load of clothes that still have soap all over them and then there is the rainbow load. Nothing another run through the old wash cycle won’t cure.

As I’m starting to shove stuff into the dryers, Mitchy MaMa has come to share some info with me. It appears that MeMe has decided to leave us a few days early and head back to Texas. That dazed look has returned to my face. I asked a lot of questions, but got few answers. What will happen to all of the plans that I had been making for the past year? She said that MeMe had given her a few excuses why she needed to leave early, but she could tell that she wasn’t getting the real story. So now I’m thinking. Was it something that I did or said? In the twenty years of marriage there is one thing I’ve learned. It’s always my fault; so naturally I assume the same here. Mitchy MaMa indicated that MeMe didn’t even mention me as a possible reason for this hasty departure. I wasn’t quite sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. Apparently MeMe had already contacted the airline and towncar service and made arrangement to leave first thing in the morning. On Devo’s birthday no less. I didn’t know if we had worn her out or what exactly was happening. I asked Mitchy MaMa to try and find out the whole story while I finished up on laundry. Hopefully I could get everything done while she is gone before she has a chance to notice the laundry atrocities that I’ve committed. As I’m finishing up folding the clothes, she returns. I was so close to covering all of my tracks until she noticed the powdered soap still on one of JoJo’s shirts. I had to spill the beans about the clothes and once again I have been removed from laundry detail. She took away my Stain Stick. How can I face the guys at the office? I’m sure they’ll be able to tell.

I asked again about MeMe, and was told that she is still reciting the same excuses but Mitchy MaMa could still tell there was something more. I guess for now it will remain a mystery but somehow I have a feeling it was connected with yesterday. Mitchy MaMa is pretty darn po’d though. I guess not only is she leaving tomorrow at 5 in the morning, but she has decided to just stay in the room today. I know there is a story here and eventually I will find out all about it, but for now all I can do is wonder. We wheeled the clothes back to the Swan and divided them amongst the kids and told them to put them away. I asked MeMe to reconsider, but was told that there were things that she needed to take care of. At least I can say I tried. We gathered the kids and headed for breakfast. We decided to grab some pastries and coffee downstairs in the lounge today. It was a light breakfast, but then again we didn’t feel much like eating wondering what was going on. Mitchy MaMa then put her foot down and I knew we were in trouble. She was now taking charge. Her orders were that we were going to have a good time either with or without her mother. End of story. No negotiation. I just love it when she takes charge!

We were heading to the Animal Kingdom today. Before we left though, we snagged our E-Ride tickets for tonight. After arriving at the Animal Kingdom, Devo headed back to the Safari to grab passes while the rest of us headed to Dinoland. I wanted to check out the Primeval Hurl. I always look forward to the new rides. It was new to me at least since the last time that we were here. While we waited for Devo to return, Sissy got to spend some time posing for pictures with Chester and Hester. Fairly quickly he returned and then we were on our way to ride the Hurl. The kids rode in one spinny thing and Mitchy MaMa and I rode in another. MaMa usually doesn’t like the spinning rides but gave this one a thumbs up. The teacups though are a different story. Sissy has said that she will try Dinosaur again this trip. This is another one of those rides that she rode last time and swore never again. Last time it scared the heck out of me as well. I was pretty nervous standing in line because I saw more crying kids waiting to get on this ride than I have any other ride, ever. I was thinking to myself that those kids are going to go into hysterics as soon as they get on the actual ride. I was concerned what Sissy’s reaction would be this time as well. All of my worrying was for nothing. She loved it this time. There were other kids though that were pretty frantic by the time they got off.

Mithcy MaMa and I had visions of a nice exotic lunch of BBQ. The kids however had Chicken McNuggets on their mind. So of course we ended up at Restaurantosaurus. Actually lunch was very good. It was cool (the restaurant / not the food), cheap and tasty. The perfect trifecta. It was during this lunch that the kids and I started a new quest. Please excuse me if I offend anyone here, but what we were about to do was not meant to hurt anyone. Two tables over from us was a kid with one of the best mullet’s that I have ever seen. I just had to capture this on videotape. I had sneak around to get a good angle to record this on tape without being caught. Of course the boys have about a hundred names for a mullet. Achy breaky hair mistaky, shorty longback, ape drape, neck blanket, Tennessee mudflap… just to name a few. It is now our challenge to capture as many of these haircuts of the gods as we can on tape. It also provided a diversion for the kids instead of thinking about MeMe back at the hotel. As we were finishing up our lunch, the restaurant was getting pretty crowded. While we were gathering all of our trash, a guy came up and asked if we were leaving. I answered yes and he was patiently waiting for us to get out of the way. Well as soon as one of the kids got up this other guy snuck in and assumed squatter rights. The look on this guy’s face that had been patiently waiting was heartbreaking. I could not believe how rude this other guy was in his quest for a table. So while the nice guy searches around with his family for a place to sit while holding their food, the mean guy has deprived anyone else the chance to sit down and enjoy their meal. I apologized loud enough to the guy who had been waiting about how other people behave while in public that I’m sure half of the place heard me. I then gave him my best evil eye, but the squatter wouldn’t even look at me.

This afternoon we went on the safari (saw animals), rode Kali River (got wet), and saw Tough to be a bug (got stung). We got in line so the Sissy could see Lilo and Stitch. For some reason Sissy is really into Stitch. I thought it was a cute movie and all, but she really likes this little guy. While we were waiting in line, I looked ahead and who did I happen to see? Mullet boy. Pretended that I’m taking some pictures of the characters, but I’m really getting some good close-ups of his hair. Made sure we hit our quota of gift shops for the day and then headed back to the hotel.

MeMe has decided to join us tonight for dinner. She was hungry tonight. That will happen when you spend the whole day in your room. This was a last minute birthday dinner for Devo a day early for MeMe’s benefit. We walked over to the boardwalk and had planned on eating at Flying Fish. We changed our mind at the last minute and decided to try Spoodles instead. It was delicious. We like to try a few new restaurants each trip and revisit some of our favorites. The way things are going though we will need a couple of weeks just to hit our favorites if we keep up this pace. I’ve met very few meals that I didn’t like as you can tell by now.

After dinner Sissy got a hair wrap done while the boys went to play some carnival games. One of the girls that were working the games is really flirting with JoJo. She had to be in college or very close to it. I don’t think she realized that JoJo is just 13, but it was entertaining to watch this for awhile. JoJo seemed to be really enjoying this attention from the fair maiden. It was during this time that I really began noticing how big the kid is getting. I don’t mean around the middle but tall. Devo passed me by awhile back. I was never prepared at six foot one to look up to one of my kids. Now it looks like it will be more than one very shortly. Standing next to Devo, JoJo only looks an inch or two shorter. I wonder where this little growth spurt will end? We grabbed some ice cream and strolled on back to the old Swan. On the way, we asked if MeMe didn’t want to join us tonight for rides. No, she would just finish her packing and get to bed early since she had an early flight. She was the one that decided to take this early flight and I still didn’t have a clue what was going on – so it was tough to have a lot of sympathy. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom just as the fireworks were starting. We headed back to Tomorrowland and started with Buzz. Tonight was the first time that Sissy was going to try Space Mountain since our last trip. I know; it was another one of those rides that she rode last time and swore never again. Tonight she gives it two big thumbs up. We ended up riding Buzz, Space, Splash, Big Thunder, and Haunted Mansion. Last time we did E-Ride Night it was wonderful. No crowds and everything was a walk on. In fact a lot of rides we didn’t even have to get off of. They would just send us through again if we didn’t want to get off. Tonight was crowded though. Everything had a wait. The other people we talked with while in line seemed to think tonight was especially crowded also. I guess maybe this is going to be a good year for Disney after all.

Tomorrow is Devo’s birthday. We always let the kids choose what they want to do on their special day. Meals, activities, etc.. A lot of time their decisions have me wondering how I raised them. I wonder what he has in store for us? Will MeMe actually leave? Is the basement flooded? So many questions. Hopefully at least one will be answered ---- tomorrow.

That was just a teaser!! ;)

Can't wait to see how this cliffhanger ends.

Oh! The anticipation is killing me!

Great report :)
Hope everything is okay!
Sarah

This is turning into a soap opera. Maybe MeMe is going home to empty out the flooded basement! Maybe she has plans to turn it into her own water park and wanted to supervise the contruction of the water slide :)

Please don't make us wait too long for the next installment!

I can't wait to hear why Meme is leaving. You had me totally thrown off---I thought The Announcement was going to involve a baby on the way :-) I hope Meme isn't ill :-(

Mullet Watching is a hobby of mine and I am sure my collection of still photos could rival your video footage. A favorite and much sought after mullet shot of mine is The Mullet That Involves the Tail/Braid. I really can't believe that there is another Mullet Voyeurist out there!~~~~~~~ Freaky, but I love it!!!!!

Hentob

There are people in this world who have no idea what a mullet is. I tried to explain it to someone and referred to a colleage of theirs. They were sort of madd that I referred to this person.

Maybe it is a kid thing or a total generation gap thing! Kids can get away with it, but it is a touchy subject with adults. Think about it, how many adults do you know wearing the same hair style for 10, 20 years.

The best way to describe it, business in the front, party in the back!

darren
"proud owner of a mullet wig"

Keep the reports coming....I am really enjoying them..Cant wait to hear about MeMe....

Denise:D

uuhhhh, is MeMe secretly a man? Wait - that's too Jerry Springer for real life. I think the mullet topic threw me into another dimension of sadness.

Hey Ktulu - that was the best description I have EVER heard! party in the front... baaahaha

I have to say, My son (10) would be heartbroken if my mom left during a vacation. Were your kids okay with it? Did you ever find out what was wrong?

PLEASE--Don't keep us hanging. I have checked this board all day to see what happens on Part 9~~~~You're killin' me here!!!

Hentob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter