The "secret" overlook: picture

kjw86ca

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I went on the DCL and have been "lurking" around this forum for quite some time. My name is Kyle :wave2: and I noticed on this one ladys web site...(I think it was the Castaway something or other, she posts here a lot, seems nice ;-)) about the "hidden" overlook. (On deck seven or eight, I can't remember now...I think my picture below may be wrong...) Anyway, at the overlook I kept looking down and noticed all the other "overlooks" down there. They didn't look like the private "verandas" as they weren't seperated by anything until wayyyyy over on either side. So looking at this picture, all the other doors that look much like the same door you come out from to get to the "hidden" overlook. So how does one get to these other areas I have pointed out in the picture? Also, what are the black "holes" down at the bottom?

-Kyle

Picture:
getfile.php

Hello Kyle!!
Welcome to the DIS boards! :) Glad to have you around!::yes::

Kathy:wave2:

Cant answer your questions but i did want to Welcome you to the Dis.
Misty

Hi Kyle.....welcome to the Disboard!!!

The black holes in your picture are openings, I believe on Deck 4, in an area that houses large pieces of equipment. You can see this area when you walk all around the ship on Deck 4. I know at each end of the ship on Deck 4 there is an area that you can pass by but not get into because one end is the rope room and the other end of the ship has those big pieces of machinery.

Here is a pic...but I cannot remember if this was forward or aft on Deck 4

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92712226/93391901SoZaaf

Not sure what those doors you are pointing out are...I know the ones to side of them are indeed cabins with very large verandas due to the curve of the ship. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. They may be crew only doors...not sure.

Here is another pic of the overlook on Deck 7 from Deck 9

http://community.webshots.com/photo/76180824/76191988NBjYSL

MJ

Thanks for the replys. Next time I go I *WILL* find out how to get to those doors. ::yes::

-Kyle ;)

The other doors are indeed cabins except for a door at Deck 5 Aft. That's a crew-only door that allows access to the flagpole they use to display a flag whenever the ship is in port.

The holes lower down, as has previously been mentioned, are for extending tie-down lines (ropes) from the ship to the dock.

Bummer. I want to go out there!!

I'm surprised no one has noticed. I figured someone would say something. Anyone notice the lack of "goofy" on the back of the ship? ;)

MJ,
Great photos! How did you get access to these areas? I'm going on the 4 day wonder in March and would love to see a behind the scenes tour. Is this offered, or did you happen to have special access?

Kyle: I couldn't access your picture, so I don't know exactly the view you are talking about. But on deck 6, they are definately private verandahs. We were fortunate enough to upgrade to cabin 6154 last spring (6654 is the other). They are handicapped cabins and have a verandah large enough to enter with a wheelchair. There is a wall size divider at the rear of the ship between the two cabins. We had two chairs, a table and 2 lounge chairs AND there was still plenty of room.

kjw86ca. . .

Yes, I noticed the lack of Goofy on the picture -- In fact, it was the FIRST thing I noticed.

Did you do a good job of editing him out?

jinx.....the shot of the machinery was taken as we were walking Deck 4. You can walk Deck 4 completely around the ship. The port and starboard sides are very wide with a veranda but the bow and stern are an enclosed walkway and more narrow. But anyone can walk completely around and you can see all the machinery.

The shot of Deck 7 was just taken from the back of Topsiders over the railing.

Here are some more shots from the walkway around Deck 4

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92712226/93391881sodLNw

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92712226/93392490ZvZgmI

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92712226/93392431SiaRjK

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92712226/93391724yNmPGW

And my favorite place on Deck 4.....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92712226/93392248MQZiuX

MJ

MJ

Thanks for the info, MJ. I also like the lounge chairs on lower decks. How hard is it to get lounge chairs down there on the sea days? And is there a drink station nearby or should we bring large mugs to last us a while.

Thanks again :wave2:

I don't know SandraLee...do you think I did? lol.

Actually when I did it, I had you board members in mind. I wanted to see if anyone would notice, as it seems that you guys are pretty spiffy on your ship knowlage.

I have never had a problem getting those padded lounge chairs on Deck 4. No drink station nearby so bring your mug. What's nice about Deck 4 is that it is usually very quiet with people reading or sleeping and people playing shuffleboard nearby. One side of Deck 4 is in the shade and other is in the sun, obviously depending on which way the ship is headed.

In the mornings it is busy with people jogging and walking.

MJ

On our last trip, we found the intrance to the hidden deck. We did not stay very long as we got a strong smell of the stuff coming down from the aft smoke stack. It was probably just the way the wind was blowing that day I am sure. It's really not that big of a deal. There were several people on this deck and our room steward told us they had started locking this door atter dark as teenagers were beginning to hang out there and cause problems. We did not bother to go back. The smaller black holes located in one of the pictures can be seen quite clearly when you walk around the aft prommade deck...smjj

is rapidly becoming not-so-secret anymore...

We enjoyed the "secret" deck on our Magic cruise last year, but this year on the Wonder it wasn't as nice. The sea day we decided to get our suits on, go back there and get some sun and enjoy the "peace and quiet." The sun was there, but no "peace and quiet." :(

The door was constantly being opened and shut by people coming out or going back in. Most people just walked out, looked for 30 seconds, then went back in. What's the point of doing that? And especially the ones that brought their kids out there. There is absolutely nothing for them to do, no point in them being there. Even some of the adults out there talked loudly. Not good for napping or trying to read. I kind of felt sorry for the people who had balcony rooms right next to the "secret" deck, it was noisy all the time, they couldn't even enjoy quietness on their private balconies.

There is nothing secret about the overlook on the aft of deck 7.
If you walk all the way aft on deck seven you'll find a door that
leads directly onto it It's a nice little place where you can have private meets or just lounge around.This is were our disboard
group met for a wine tasting.

balbrec:cool:

The reason I referred to it as "seceret" was because thats what members of this forum referred to it as. I didn't consider it secret until I came on here, as I found it just by walking back to the end of deck 7, like you said.

-Kyle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter