The same question everyone has...

dandee

Mouseketeer
Several weeks ago I booked the FTP at POR for 10/23-10/30, not sure I would be able to go, but wanted to be sure that I had the reservation in case it 'all worked out'. Yesterday we found a SUPER rate for airfare (from Denver) and I'm SO excited. The rate was so good, we just decided to throw logic out the window, took a deep breath, and BOOKED IT. I'm going to Disney!!!! I've been reading these boards a lot lately and the thought occurred to me that we should fly out a day early, so that we can take advantage of the first full day of our package. I've never done this before. Because there is usually a layover involved when flying from Denver to Orlando (no matter HOW early you leave), it takes most of the day to get there and it's usually about 5pm before we are ready to go and get dinner/explore. So, we're leaving a day early and I called WDW reservations to see if I could book another reservation at POR for 10/22 for one night (even if we had to move rooms the next day, I think it would be easier to stay at POR). The room rate yesterday (no discounts available for Disney Visa for that time... YET?!?!?!?!) was $160.56 or 136.48 with AAA. I asked the CM to compare with current Disney Visa discounts (even though it is a different season) and the room rate up to 10/1 was $88 (not including tax). First question (sorry this is so long - I don't want to forget anything), should I just book it and see if Disney Visa rates eventually become available (I think it might be all around easier)? OR, should I just go ahead and book at a cheap hotel at Maingate and then take a taxi over on the morning of the 23rd? I just want a little advice from those who have utilized the 'fly out a day early' strategy. AND, last question (I promise), if you DID use a hotel right outside of Disney for your 'add-on day', does anyone have a recommendation? I would like it cheap (under $50), safe, and within about 5 miles of Maingate. I really appreciate anyone who reads through this convoluted question and actually gets what I'm trying to say! Thanks

Dandee,
Here are my opinions on your questions

1) I think you should book the one night at POR using the AAA rates just to make sure that you have it reserved.

2) Do some research on off site hotels. In my past off site visits we have stayed at the Courtyard on I-Drive, it was good for my family, but for just the night I think you can do closer and cheaper

3) Take a look at Priceline.com you can get some really cheap rates. Before you bid go to biddingfortravel.com. They have some wonderful insight on which hotels might be available and what a good winning bid might be. I have gotten some really good deals on hotels in California using this combination

msteddom,
thanks very much... Priceline!!!! Of course (sound of hand hitting forehead!!!). I appreciate the help!

WAIT! Did you already book your airfare for the original dates! If so before you do ANYTHING about adding a hotel you had better check what happens if you try to "add" the day on your flight. You may find that to be cost prohibitive. (I could not figure out from your post what you booked)

Just a warning!

Hi Dandee - can I ask where you check for your airfare prices? We also live in the Denver area and plan on a WDW trip Oct 22 - Nov 4th. Haven't seen any "deals" that really appeal to us yet :rolleyes: If you have a great website - I'd appreciate it (we're taking my dd4 for MNSSHP) :p Thanks!

Last spring we drove into Orlando and knew we would arrive in the area of 1:00 a.m. I looked at adding a night at our chosen resort - over $250 for that extra night. We stayed at the Comfort Inn, it was only one block past the Crossroads shopping center and was $35. It was clean, efficient and a place to sleep so the next day we woke up ready to check in and enjoy our resort.

I asked the CM to compare with current Disney Visa discounts (even though it is a different season) and the room rate up to 10/1 was $88 (not including tax). First question (sorry this is so long - I don't want to forget anything), should I just book it and see if Disney Visa rates eventually become available (I think it might be all around easier)?

There are Disney Visa room only discounts for up to 10/1? I thought it was only for Florida residents.

We have flown in a day early for our last 2 trips, but we stay at the amerisuites at the airport, if you arrive before midnight you can call from the phone in the airport and get the free shuttle to the hotel. we got up bright and early and had Fl Tours pick us up at the Amerisuites. The rooms were very nice and we got the entertainment rate of $43.

I called Disney Visa to find out what was the deal with the great price for Florida residents and I was told that they are not aware of any such promotion and if I had any solicitation with that info on it to mail it to them so they could research it. Of course I do not have any such solicitation because I learned about that discount here on the DIS.
So, I am not sure what is going on. My Disney Visa offer is for $99 per night per person for the value resorts.

Just a little info about hotels off site. First have you checked the All Stars for prices, if you can't have POR for that night at a decent price maybe you could get ALL STAR. If that fails, the hotels on Palm Parkway at the entrance of Disney World (Market Place) behind Crossroads. I think that is what another poster was talking about. We have stayed at a few hotels there. They are pretty nice and not far at all. The hotels on 192 are farther than these hotels. I am going to try to post a website where you can print out coupons for some of these hotel. I hope this works.

www.roomsaver.com

I hope that works, I am going to try to go to the exact page where those hotel coupons are and post them for you. So I'll post again.

Diane

dandee,

I would recommend the extra day, particularly since you'll have some time zone changes (when we fly to Las Vegas, the first day is always a blurry catch-up day). Then when you wake up the next morning, you'll be fresh, you can get to your Disney resort and get your passes - they'll hold the luggage for you.

As others have said, you should be able to find a good off-site for the night - should be some threads around here somewhere on that.

Best of luck.

We are doing the exact same thing!!!!! We fly into MCO on the 22nd and out reservation for Disney starts on the 23rd. We are staying at Courtyard by Marriot for the 22nd. Right on Disney property and was able to book the 20.03 rate. Hope to see you at the parks. We'll be there the exact same days.

callie

Thank you so much for all of the great info - I feel like I made the right choice - here are answers to some of the questions I got:

1. viluvsdisney - I check Travelocity religously. I am set up for fare watcher, but I'm sure you know they don't always notify you. We checked the website everyday for about 3 weeks with no success, so we decided to start checking several times a day. We checked in the morning (7/8/03) and the flights had come down a bit to around 253 - which I still think is high (never paid more than $215 including all fees and taxes). I checked in the am, then again in the afternoon and for a few hours Northwest was offering $163 per person. Couldn't believe it!!! Just to double check, I called Northwest directly and after taxes and fees ended up with tickets for 171.50 per person (cheaper than Travelocity by $5 after they calculated taxes and fees). I would never have known to call if it wasn't for Travelocity. The thing is to be really vigilant and check 3 times a day (especially on Wednesday). Within a few hours, that same flight was back up well over $300. I hope you have luck with that.

2. DebbieB - I called for reservations through the Disney Card 800 number (I think that means I went to WD Travel). I told the person I spoke with where we were flying in from and she never she asked me if I was a Floriday resident - I take that to mean that it was for all Disney Visa cardholders, but I didn't verify that specifically (I was blissfully ignorant that might be the case).

3. castlehappy - I read on these boards about a 'Disney Visa' rate and that was why I asked about it - she didn't hesitate, except to tell me she was sorry, those discounts were only available up to 10/1. Is it possible that WDW is offering the rate because you are a cardholder as a plus and it is a benefit from WDW, not Disney Visa? I truly don't know... but if I do get that rate I'll be sure to post it.

Thank you again to everyone for the wonderful help and advice, I did book my airfare for the extra day, so now I just need to research all of the great suggestions and decide what to do. We're so excited to be going - I've had a little smile for the past 2 days!!!! One last question, I think my original post got moved (probably to the Budget board). Is that were I should post if I get the Disney Visa rate for my single night stay at POR? Thanks again!!!!

Thnak you Dandee -I appreciate your advice - and I'll keep my fingers crossed :) Hope you have a wonderful trip!! Thanks again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter