The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: Since we are starting the list for January races with the hot race of the month being Marathon weekend at WDW, I wanted to ask where are your favorite places to take photos with your medals post race?
I like to take character photos wearing my medals. They are always so sweet admiring your medals and congratulating you for your effort..in that animated character specific way! Epcot’s Character Spot is a favorite of mine, three classic characters in one stop! The front of Epcot or Main Street USA are must stops to see my guy Pluto (the line at Epcot is usually much shorter but the background on Main Street USA can’t be beat!) Finally, I also enjoy photos with the characters in their safari wear at Tusker House. Amazing food with good hosts!

Long time lurker here happy to be out of the shadows...
My first 5K was Castaway Cay July 2016 at which time I said “ that was fun but I’ll never run a (insert any race distance here)”. Fast forward 2-1/2 years and a few runDisney challenges and I finished my first WDW marathon smiling ear to ear. What a great weekend this past Star Wars run where I was able to meet a few people from here and finally get my 1/2 goal of sub 2 (1:59:11)
That being said, I’m in for some more fun -

November
02 - Dopey 2020 - Wine and Dine 10K
03 - Dopey 2020 - Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon (1:57:00)

January
09 - Dopey 2020 - WDW 5K
10 - Dopey 2020 - WDW 10K
11 - Dopey 2020 - WDW 1/2 Marathon
12 - Dopey 2020 - WDW Marathon (4:30:00)

See ya real soon!

Last edited:
@LSUlakes If I'm back on your list....

January
12 - @Kerry1957 - Walt Disney World Marathon (NG / NA)

I guess I will allow it lol.

@LSUlakes we need an accountability thread for your challenge and I need someone to make me go run this morning! Me sneaking back to bed....:tiptoe:

I got my Day 2 in yesterday afternoon! You can do it! Are you on the strava? I believe my runs post on their from my Garmin but I havent had much chance to peek over there lately.

QOTD: Have you ever experienced a runners high? If so, what was the situation?

ATTQOTD: I think yes. I have the experience more time than not from training runs, but one race sticks out more than others. It was a small 10k where I set my PR. I just felt like I was so effortlessly that morning and ended up with a big PR and was on cloud 9. I think every time I surprise myself with a run I have a similar experience, and perhaps thats just a effect of training and seeing a great result?

Jumping in here to ask a quick question if you all don't mind. I'm going to buy new running shoes in the next couple weeks. My current ones are at 175 miles. Does anyone have suggestions for breaking them in?
In my experience, you shouldn't need to break in new shoes if they're the right shoes for you. I've worn shoes straight out of the box and into a half-marathon with no issues! If I'm considering a new-to-me shoe I'e never worn before (i.e.: new make &/or model), I'll wear it around the house for an hour or so, and test it on the treadmill to make sure I like it, but if I do like it, it goes right into use, no break-in.

ATTQOTD: Beats me. IDK how to differentiate an official "runner's high" from the general feel-good feeling I almost always get from running. And I've never experienced anything while running comparable to a "high" from, er... other things, lol! :hippie: So it's a mystery to me, but one for which I'm perfectly comfortable not having answers. :)

Attqotd: yeah. Might be the reason I run so much when I am not drinking, I have 22 years of restaurant work under my belt, and we have a tendency toward the blowing off of steam after the shift...

...but most of my other sports are of the risky/adrenaline kind, which might explain the latent trail running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter