The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Not so much running related. Where are you staying for marathon weekend if you are participating this year? Any particular reason why?
ATTQOTD: Back in February, we “walked” our 1 bedroom standard room reservation at Bay Lake Tower after getting shut out from BLT last year. With the marathon later this year, my kids’ classes start the Monday after the marathon so they are flying back to their respective schools directly from MCO on marathon Sunday with me and the wife staying a couple of extra days before heading back. Of course we felt bad cutting the kids time so now we just made a reservation at Pop for 2 days before we have our BLT reservation so they can get some extra Disney time.

A couple of notes: After last year’s weather ordeal where our flights were canceled and we almost had to drive to FL (still had to drive from CT to DC to get a flight from DCA), we have 2 sets of airline reservations booked on separate days on Southwest points. We will cancel whichever reservation we don’t use. So we “assume” it will be 2 days at Pop but we will see...Also, assuming we do stay at Pop, that will leave Art of Animation and Fort Wliderness as the only Disney resorts at which I have not stayed...:)

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: My wife and I are staying at POP. We are usually at the parks most of the day, but like having the food court when we get back to the hotel in case we want a snack. Other things we like about the hotel... rooms recently renovated, the path around hourglass lake, ability to go over to AofA food court, and the bus service. Plus being inexpensive is a bonus. We will be there for 9 days, so let's see how I feel about this after a trip that long. We don't arrive until Friday and then we do the marathon on Sunday. Most of the trip for us is AFTER race weekend.

For everyone staying at Pop, I do not know why this is, but I love the lobby smell of that resort. I still have a lot of resorts to see, but it's the top of my list!! Please bottle up that scent and send it to me. I may even have to go there after the marathon one day just to soak it up some.

For everyone staying at Pop, I do not know why this is, but I love the lobby smell of that resort. I still have a lot of resorts to see, but it's the top of my list!! Please bottle up that scent and send it to me. I may even have to go there after the marathon one day just to soak it up some.
It has a distinct smell? I don’t remember one from Wine and Dine...

Good, I am glad it helped. Sometimes I wonder if the quotes help anyone.
I always appreciate reading them.

Pro tip if you're staying there, request Building 4. It makes for very short, minimized walks to both the food court and park bus stops.
Thanks! Add me to the list of people staying at French Quarter. While I give a slight edge to Riverside due to how it feels, I chose French Quarter because of proximity to Epcot and the compactness of the entire resort. I was in building 3 for Dark Side and loved just how close it was to the buses for the expo/races and the parks. Dopey is the reason for this trip, so I decided to choose the resort based on buses.

While not always possible to know that far out, I literally emailed my travel agent while at Disney World after Dark Side to get a quote for marathon weekend.

We are staying at Art of Animation.
I want to stay at Art of Animation some day.

ATTOQTD: My usual - Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Because 1. I refuse to pay for parking at a WDW resort, 2. WBC is less expensive than anything else remotely comparable, and 3. washer, dryer, full kitchen, soaking tub, couch, and dining room table. Ideally, I'd love to not have to stay at a hotel at all and just go to races from my home, but this is the next best thing.

ATTQOTD: we will be across the street in Windsor Hills resort. Since we are all close enough to drive, we don’t have to worry about transportation and with APs, we don’t have to worry about parking fees. Also my sister has multiple dietary restrictions and even though Disney is great about them, she does better with home cooked food. Having a full kitchen makes it easier for her to make meals as needed vs bringing a ton of premade food that she normally does when we stay at a Disney resort.

Then there’s the fact that it’s way cheaper, we get two rooms and two bathrooms, and laundry.

I am so hesitant to tell people about Bonnet Creek and Windsor Hills. I'm afraid too many people will catch on and the prices will go up! :guilty:

I feel like we were just there for W&D, but I'd hate to miss the face painting, and the chance to see a lot of you. We haven't made a final decision yet, but it will either be Bonnet Creek or Windsor Hills if we do pull the trigger (or a cheap DVC if by some miracle one opens). We gotta decide this weekend, one way or the other!

ATTQOTD: Animal Kingdom Lodge 1 Bedroom Value

While we own at Boardwalk, Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom - I like the amount of points it costs for the value rooms especially since it is only two of us. I do want the washer/dryer/nice tub for the marathon as laundry on race weekends has to happen. It’s a little further out but that’s ok when you know it will be quiet for those early bed times!

ATTQOTD: I am staying at Boardwalk Villas (we own there and BLT). The amount of points for a standard studio is crazy cheap, so it was an easy choice (and since I could book it 11 months in advance). It will just be dh and myself, but I also had in the back of my mind if I brought my kids, we could all fit there (although I hate staying in a studio with all of us).

On another note, I got my official confirmation for the Berlin Marathon today. I have yet to tell dh...

ATTQOTD: Poly studio. We stayed here when my husband did Dopey in 2016, and he enjoyed walking to TTC to get the monorail for the half and full mornings. I also enjoyed the proximity to get to Epcot faster. I like being able to walk to Trader Sam’s. The studios are also a great set up for the 2 of us with the separate bathrooms. And I love the shower. Plus I just love the grounds there and walking around.

May I suggest modifying that second goal to something more along the lines of have fun, get photos, run (or walk sufficiently fast) pain free, et all?

I like this goal. I believe I will take your advice. :thumbsup2

ATTQOTD: AKV - Savanna View Studio and our last two nights are at Poly - Lake View Studio

Both of these are our home resorts therefore, it was easy to book them at 11 months. We have to do Savanna view now because the boys expect to see animals out our balcony/window :rolleyes:. They're spoiled :rolleyes1

ATTQOTD: Staying at Beach Club. We stayed there once before on the DVC side and loved the proximity to DHS and Epcot. It was a great location for the races. Looking forward to trying it out on the resort side of things.

QOTD: Not so much running related. Where are you staying for marathon weekend if you are participating this year? Any particular reason why?

Staying two nights at Poly and then five nights at BCV, because someone's gotta pay the power bill at Hurricane Hannah's.

ATTQOTD: I'm staying at FOMO.

You know there's a REAL easy solution to this problem ...

ATTQOTD-Sadly we are staying home in Virginia. Sympathy tears needed.

But I can tell you we stayed at Art of Animation a few years ago for marathon weekend and it was perfect for 2 adults and 2 preteens.
Having two bathrooms, a table that converted to a bed, and a Cars themed room were awesome. The food court was nice as we could grab food quick and go.

I am replacing the « it » with running Dopey 2020... And the quote did help: My Achiles tendon still hurts so I took over two weeks off running and booked an appointment with a podiatrist. I am now inspired to « working for it » and that means x-training to reinforce everything else, stretching and icing. Yeah.
I finished my 8-miler yesterday and my right achilles is screaming. I think I actually tweaked it on the long 16-mile run this past weekend. Not sure how much time I should take out of my schedule since I am in the 4 weeks where I should be piling on the most mileage...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter