The Running Thread - 2018

Still feeling good, carbing up today and will hopefully have a good night sleep. I’ll do a quick update post race tomorrow!

Good luck, I'm looking forward to the report! I missed running this race by a couple of weeks a few years ago when we were in NZ and Australia. I still have it on my list to come back and run it one day

Expo day!

Well, it wasn’t really an expo even though they called it that. Bob collection was quick, nothing exciting. It was held in The Cloud, a temporary structure built for the Rugby World Cup. We hosted it in 2011...

View attachment 361225

They had a pretty cool poster that had all the names of the runners
View attachment 361228

Here’s me
View attachment 361229

I also got so check out the start across the harbour from downtown Auckland. I’ll be. Catching a ferry around 5:15am tomorrow. It’s not the best photo but you can see our main naval base for the country. We don’t really war in NZ, mainly just rescue dumb fishermen and hep south pacific islands after storms.
View attachment 361227

The race takes us over our harbour bridge which is normally for vehicles only
View attachment 361230

The half finishes not long after the bridge but the full does an out and back along the shoreline. It’s nice and flat and quite scenic but can be windy.

On the weather front it’s touch and go for rain, hopefully it holds off. I bought a disposable poncho in case and will ensure sensitive bits are well greased!

Still feeling good, carbing up today and will hopefully have a good night sleep. I’ll do a quick update post race tomorrow!

time.JPG
Time zones are so weird. Haha. So you will be starting this race tomorrow morning at 10am my time zone, which means I can check on Strava when you finish! #math #thattookmealongtimetofigureout

ETA: GOOD LUCK!

It's funny you mention Cane Rosso - they're at the end of my street! I usually get the Honey B!tch from there ...

i ate at the one in lakewood WAY too often when i lived over there. their pizzas are as good as folks say but the sandwiches are fantastic as well. and they make them with the same dough as the pizza.

i ate at the one in lakewood WAY too often when i lived over there. their pizzas are as good as folks say but the sandwiches are fantastic as well. and they make them with the same dough as the pizza.

I actually usually get the burrata and a sandwich - you’re totally right about the sandwiches.

QOTD: Does your job require you to stay on your feet all day, sit behind a desk, work indoors, or outside? How does your job effect your training and recovery?

ATTQOTD: I sit behind a desk all day and consider it to be a form of recovery. Every now and then I may have to go on a job walk, but those only last a 2-4 hours and half of that time is sitting in a room going on the scope of work. I would say my job has very little negative effect on my running plans for each day.

I work at a desk. I get up to go to the bathroom and go to lunch. I try to remember to get up and stretch but rarely do. I feel strongly it is the reason I am so stiff. My muscles have never been tighter.

QOTD: Taking the easy way out for todays question. What is everyones running plans this weekend?

ATTQOTD: I need to run today and tomorrow at a min of 3 miles each. Saturday I am helping a friend put on a 5k and I've been told I am going to be front bike guy. Looks like I need to learn the course. Since I am doing that Saturday my long run will be on Sunday and I am somehow supposed to get 16-17 miles in. Prayers would be appreciated!

I am currently sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to take off for my first ever trip to DL. Flight is currently delayed for maintenance and no sign of it ending soon. They are waiting on parts. So I won't be running much but I'll be walking a lot. I was exhausted all week and came down with another cold so it's good I take a running rest anyway. Next week I'll be back at it.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to the report! I missed running this race by a couple of weeks a few years ago when we were in NZ and Australia. I still have it on my list to come back and run it one day

Thanks! The course is pretty cool, running over the bridge is a bit of a buzz, and the flat second half is welcoming.

View attachment 361231
Time zones are so weird. Haha. So you will be starting this race tomorrow morning at 10am my time zone, which means I can check on Strava when you finish! #math #thattookmealongtimetofigureout

ETA: GOOD LUCK!

Thanks! Easier to remember we are 4 hours behind, tomorrow. I work for the NZ division of a US company with offices in CA, IL and NY so I’m quite familiar with time conversion. Wish they were a bit better so I didn’t get 3am conference call invites!

Thanks! The course is pretty cool, running over the bridge is a bit of a buzz, and the flat second half is welcoming.

Thanks! Easier to remember we are 4 hours behind, tomorrow. I work for the NZ division of a US company with offices in CA, IL and NY so I’m quite familiar with time conversion. Wish they were a bit better so I didn’t get 3am conference call invites!
I feel your pain. I lived in Japan for a year and my brother would routinely call me at 3am with no idea that I’d be sleeping. It took him far too long to understand “Don’t call me if it’s daylight where you are”

I'm DH, and I overpronate with narrow feet. Saving a couple still in the box Brooks Adrenaline 14's because they're the last version that fit and didn't give me blisters. The 18's with their new upper seem to trap the heat and give me blisters, despite (or because) I had to go up 1/2 a size. I bought a pair of Ghost 11s, since they fit my feet like the Adrenaline's used to. Threw in a pair of Spenco Total Support insoles since they're a neutral shoe. Anybody else wear Ghost and over pronate? Looking for other thoughts as to insoles that would support.
Today was run #2 in the Ghost 11s for me, and 2 for 2, they feel pretty good. I don't think I'll have to change my insole plan, but wanted to see what others have done.

@LSUlakes
Scheels Great Pumpkin Run 5K completed at 47:10.2, which is a PR (I mean, it was going to be an automatic PR anyway, but it's one I'm happy with!).

Scheels Great Pumpkin Run 5K recap

IMG_7349.JPG

Hello to everyone again after my long absence! October turned out to be a lot busier than I'd anticipated and I have barely run at all this month, but when I realized last week (!!) that I still had this race on my calendar I decided to suck it up and just do the best I could do. It was a fairly small but very well-supported event that began and ended in a city park, with an out-and-back section on the riverside trail that constituted half or more of the course. Since it was all on a running/biking trail it made for a crowded start, but we of the thundering herd spread ourselves out pretty quickly. I seeded myself at the back and took a walking start.

IMG_7348.JPG

I've been using the Galloway method since I started in June, and kept with it for the race. I've found that 10 seconds is my comfort zone for run intervals at my current fitness level, and just alter my rest interval lengths. I started at a slow and easy 10/45 run/walk ratio and felt the same "but I want to go faster!" frustration I'd felt on the 2.53 mile fun run I did last month, but I stuck with it, promising myself that if I still felt good I could bump to 10/40 at 2 miles or the turnaround, whichever came first. I was glad by the time I hit the turnaround that I'd taken the longer rests at the start; I want to say that was around 1.8 miles in and I did bump to 10/40. I pushed myself harder than I have in training by then gearing down to 10/35 at 2.75 miles, but I ended up wishing I'd done it a quarter mile sooner since it didn't feel like I got to do much at that ratio before the race was over. I came away feeling like I'd pushed myself pretty hard, but not to my absolute limit.

My official goal was just to finish and have a 5K on my training record, but my other goal was to constantly increase my pace over the full distance and end faster than I started. I succeeded--according to my Garmin my times for the first three miles were 15:13, 15:01, and 14:54, with a time of 2:06 for the last 0.15 miles (I don't think the course was long; I think I just messed up re: when I turned my watch on and off). The Garmin gave me a time of 47:15 compared to my official time of 47:10.

An overall pace of 15:00 is...well, something I hesitate to brag about on social media, but really, it's a very good pace for me! Considering I've been slacking on my training and considering I was often turning in paces around 16:30 even when I was running regularly, I feel really, really good about my performance this morning. I love being able to not just keep the same pace but actually speed up over the distance, and it felt incredibly empowering to slowly overtake person after person who had left me in the dust at the start of the race.

A fun thing to note about this race that I hadn't known before I got there this morning is that there's an optional challenge in which runners carry a pumpkin (yeah, literally a full-size pumpkin) over the entire course. There was a $100 prize for the first individual to cross the finish line with an intact pumpkin, then smaller prizes for the first group of two, first group of three, and first group of four (so you could theoretically take turns carrying it if you went for a shared prize). Since I didn't figure I had any chance of winning and I hadn't trained to carry a pumpkin (and hadn't brought a bag -- a lot of people came prepared with backpacks!), I opted not to carry a pumpkin. I might do it next year just for the challenge of it, but today I just wanted to run the best 5K I could.

Good race support, too, though I could have used a second water station. Lots of food, one water station at the turnaround, hot and cold drinks, all that good stuff. No medals, but the long-sleeve tech shirt is pretty cute and they gave me a candy bar. So that was good. This is definitely a race to keep on my list for next year.

This week we have the following folks with races:

27 - @YawningDodo - Scheels Great Pumpkin Run 5k (Finish / N/A)
27 - @BFD - 20th Annual Rotary Club of Celebration Pancake 10k (NG / N/A)
28 - @gjramsey - Houston Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
28 - @McNs - Auckland Marathon (3:40:00 / N/A)
28 - @BikeFan - Marine Corps Marathon (4:00:00 / N/A)
28 - @derekleigh - White Mountain Milers Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)

Best of luck this week folks! If you would like to make a change to your race or goals, just let me know. If anyone would like to add a race let me know and I will add it to the OP ASAP. Have a great weekend and I look forward to hearing how everyones race went!

Add me! Hot Cider Hustle half marathon in Green Bay. Supposed to be 42 and raining at race time. Brr!

@LSUlakes
An overall pace of 15:00 is...well, something I hesitate to brag about on social media, but really, it's a very good pace for me! Considering I've been slacking on my training and considering I was often turning in paces around 16:30 even when I was running regularly, I feel really, really good about my performance this morning. I love being able to not just keep the same pace but actually speed up over the distance, and it felt incredibly empowering to slowly overtake person after person who had left me in the dust at the start of the race.

Why hesitate to brag about an accomplishment? You had an overall pace you are happy with and you made smart decisions regarding your pace during the race. That counts as two accomplishments from my viewpoint.

As a fellow snail (or tortoise, take your pick), there is nothing wrong with a 15 minute overall pace.

Why hesitate to brag about an accomplishment? You had an overall pace you are happy with and you made smart decisions regarding your pace during the race. That counts as two accomplishments from my viewpoint.

As a fellow snail (or tortoise, take your pick), there is nothing wrong with a 15 minute overall pace.

Another snail here! And, great job! DH always reminds me that I'm still lapping everyone on the couch when I get discouraged about my pace. And, I look forward to seeing how much I improve by this time next year!

tenor.gif

So I ran the celebration Rotary Club 10K pancake run this morning. It was a beautiful morning in central FL with middle 60’s temps and not too humid. I was able to achieve several goals...

Ran the entire thing without stopping because I was tired or just wanted too! I did stop for a few seconds twice to drink without drowning and choking! Lol

Finished my 10K in October. This is my 7th 10K this year, and my goal was 6 10k’s in 6 months which the W&D will finish up!

New PR of 1:10:25!:yay:
Only by a few seconds, but I’ll take it!

The course had a ton of turns, but the houses in Celebration are beautiful and the pancakes and sausage after really hit the spot!!

I have a question though. I was using Strava through my Apple Watch and the mile splits were 10-20 seconds faster across the board than what my overall pace and time ended up. So I was a little disappointed that I wasn’t where I thought I was based on those splits. Make sense? Should I have expected this? Is it just me?

Overall I am super happy with my run! I run because I can!!:butterfly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter