The Running Thread - 2018

IM70.3 Raleigh Relay - Running Leg Race Report

Tough race today. First off, how did we get here? Not my normal type of race. The assistant principal at DWs school loves triathlons. But only the swimming part. So she recruited a fellow teacher to ride the biking leg and asked DW if I’d run for them. I’m not a big fan of relays, but why not?

The swim went fine and the biking started ok. Our biker was rocking a mountain bike in a sea of fancy tri bikes. I was heading to Transition 2 to meet her when we got word she’d had a flat and was waiting for assistance. Not knowing how long the ride would take, I got to transition and waited almost 2 hours. The race officials came over and told me if the biker wasn’t there by 1:55, I wouldn’t be allowed to run. About 1:30, the word came in she had another flat! She ended up riding the last 3 miles on a flat tire and passed the chip to me at 1:50, just under the wire.

At that point, the temperature was 85 degrees with a dew point of 71 degrees. It was smoking. I went out at target pace in the first mile to see if it would be sustainable in those conditions. Negative, Ghost Rider, you are NOT cleared to half marathon tempo pacing! With it abundantly clear that it was not going to be a good race day, my focus shifted to making it a reasonable and safe race day.

The course could have been much better designed. It’s kind of hard to describe, but overall it was a double out and back course in Raleigh’s notoriously hilly near downtown area. Within each of those out and backs there were three out and back spurs that were run a total of four times per leg. I know that sounds weird, but here’s how it worked:

Run Spur 1
Exit Spur 1 and run Spur 2
Run Spur 1 again
Exit Spur 1 and run Spur 3 (that you bypassed the 1st time on the way to Spur 1j

Also within each overall out and back was a cloverleaf exchange the you ran from the top of one side of the road, down, under and back up to the top of the other side of the road. The course design meant you hit that bad boy 4 times! Big fun! Big, big fun!

I did a lot of running, a lot of walking, and a lot more sweating than is normal for me. My final time ended up being 2:23:31. Very slow for me, but I’m not unhappy with it given the running conditions and my decision to take it slow and safe.

I do want to comment on the organization and the volunteers for the race. Top notch! Aid stations were plentiful and well laid out consistently with a good variety of food and hydration. The ice water soaked sponges that were handed out in places were a lifesaver. I even had a volunteer pour a cup of ice down the back of my shirt.

I am also in awe of those triathletes who powered through all three legs in those conditions. Water temp for the swim was 80 degrees! They are truly monsters and I was honored to share a portion of their course.

Would I do it again? Probably not. There are just too many variables that impact the rhythm and timing of getting ready for a race. I also don’t like being “that relay guy” blowing by the true triathletes who are struggling to finish their course when I’m out there (relatively) fresh at the end of their long days.

Now, for those of you scoring at home, let’s hope this is the 3rd and last in the sequence of crappy half marathons. To recap, this year has consisted of:

WDW Half Marathon: Frozen, bronchitis, personal worst death march
Owl’s Roost Rumble: Single track trails, hills to spare and a tumble
IM70.3 Relay: Smoking hot, my time was not

I’m really hoping that these bad races are banking me some good karma that I can cash in on at Chicago!

Thanks for reading yet another long-winded race report!

Congrats on surviving what sounds like a tough day. That must be weird, waiting around, not really knowing when you're going to start. I get annoyed when a race doesn't start on exact atomic clock time to the second.

Extra points for the Top Gun quote!

I was wondering how many would get the reference. But did you get the Big Bang Theory quote?

It was definitely weird waiting. That feeling didn’t get any better when I was the last person waiting in the relay transition area. Got kinda lonely.

IM70.3 Raleigh Relay - Running Leg Race

Now, for those of you scoring at home, let’s hope this is the 3rd and last in the sequence of crappy half marathons. To recap, this year has consisted of:

WDW Half Marathon: Frozen, bronchitis, personal worst death march
Owl’s Roost Rumble: Single track trails, hills to spare and a tumble
IM70.3 Relay: Smoking hot, my time was not

I’m really hoping that these bad races are banking me some good karma that I can cash in on at Chicago!

Thanks for reading yet another long-winded race report!
That series put my race problems in perspective! Congratulations on being there for your team and for continuing your running journey!

03 - TheHamm - DX*A2 10k (1:20:00 / 1:14:21)!

Dexter-Ann Arbor Run 10K
I highly recommend this race. A page back in the thread you may have read my panic and you would have been reasonable to expect a DNS. When I decided to run a non-disney 10K to see what time I could do, this was the race I picked. Little hills, not too far from my house, and a section along a stretch of river that is picturesque and shaded, but has no sidewalk and very little shoulder so there is no way I am running that by myself.

Apparently, DH failed to realize this was the weekend I had been aiming for with all those training runs, and was not too happy about it when I pointed out Saturday that I would not be going to church Sunday morning. Then there was the looming storm, which on Saturday night was still possibly a thunder storm. When I woke up and saw there were no longer lightning bolts on the forecast I decided I would suck it up and do it. I thought ahead and brought an extra long sleeve shirt and rain jacket to bike home in, and found a bike rack at the parking garage near the race end so at least that would all be dry. I was proud I had thought ahead to bring a plastic bag for my phone. In the future I will remember to put my kleenex in there, too as they did not last long. We got to mile 1 and the skies opened. There was no out running it, 0.25 miles later we would have all looked the same if we veered slightly to the side of the course and just jumped into the river. I slowed quite a bit and added an extra 0.3 miles trying to avoid the rivulets forming from water cascading off the hills on one side of the road heading to the river. Eventually I stopped trying to avoid the puddles, we were all sloshing in our shoes anyhow. There were plenty of jokes that the well stocked drinks on course were more watered down than in the student bars in town, the cups were have gatoraid half rain water. There were a very few spectators outside of downtown, but plenty of encouraging runners. I did want to high five the British gentleman who called BS on the spectator/volunteer who were telling us 'only a mile left' when "it is quite clearly 1.25+, some of us value accuracy and do not need a sense of false hope." He was quite funny with random commentary and I wanted to follow him longer, but lost him on the uphill back into town. I should have pushed harder based on how I felt at the end and how I feel today, but I was concerned about the blisters I could feel forming on my wet feet, and the burning sensation where I rubbed skin off the inside of my bicep (I did not anticipate that zone for chafing!). Also, I knew I needed to bike home and we had guests coming for lunch I still needed to cook. I was surprised and pleased to find Wolverine Brewing giving out free beer at the end, so I did not go right home- I figured the beer would keep me from being too cold. No need for the shirt I had kept dry as the rain had stopped but I was still so wet the water dripping down my legs felt like I had a potty accident. So I grabbed a pretzel roll (free Zingerman's at the end, too!) and biked on home. I was so wet, I did not actually need to shower!

So I guess I need to sign up for another race to see if I really can/will do better?

Fun Friday QOTD: With the current set up of the 4 parks at WDW, you have a free trip which includes a resort on the monorail, dining plan (the middle one) and a 3 day ticket without the park hopper. Which park are you skipping and why?

DHS for sure. I've skipped it the last two trips and we are skipping it W&D weekend. Epcot is a must do every trip and with a 1 year old so are MK and AK.

Here is something I never thought I would say - Super excited that I bought a used TM yesterday! :) Our church youth group is having a yard sale at the end of the month so I peeked in the room they are storing stuff yesterday and saw a Gold's Gym TM. I was with my mom so we hunted down the couple running the yard sale (my mom knows EVERYONE!) and she told them I was interested in buying it. They offered it to me at $20 and I said I would give them $50 (it's for a good cause), and it was a done deal! Now just have to go pick it up and see how it works. They said they were told it was in great condition. It is buried in the room so I wasn't able to check it out. The downside is DH said it has to go on our back patio, but he promised to buy me a giant box fan (think construction site fan!). At least I can run out of the sun and with air blowing on me for the rest of the summer! I'm sure I will still get in some outside runs as I HATE TM running but it will be nice to have another option.

On another note, I tried out my new/used OM Hydraquiver on my run Saturday and I really liked it! It rubbed me in one spot but I am still playing with adjusting it and I can put tape over that spot if I have to. I want to love it as I want to carry a hydration drink for my November marathon that has the random hydration drink I have never heard of.

ATTQOTD: During my long run on Saturday I said to DH, don't ever let me wish for warmer weather again! It was humid, hot and awful. My wish is that Arkansas would have an actual spring or fall and not just go from cold to surface of the sun.

ATTQOTD: Absolutely not! Heat/humidity combo obviously sucks for running, but it's such a small part of my week I can adjust. Colder weather means no beach, no sundresses, no sandals, no eating outside, etc. Our T&D has been hovering just below 160 for the last few days, but a cold front came through last night and the T&D was ~120 this morning....I had to put a jacket on and I'm cozied up to my space heater.

QOTD: For those who have been looking forward to warmer temps since winter, do you have them now and or you wishing it was cold again?

OK. Let's be clear here. There's a difference between looking forward to warmer weather, which I define as ~55-75 degrees, when locked in the frozen hell of running in the 20s to low 40s, and asking to be broiled alive in full summer heat. Unfortunately, we seem to have largely skipped warm here and moved directly to a high efficiency convection broiler. I don't wish it was cold again, but I do wish it was slightly cooler...

Happy New Running Shoes Day to me!

Congrats! I celebrated mine last week. Just like a kid with new kicks, they made me run faster and jump higher!

ATTQOTD: I am weird in that I don't mind the heat and humidity. (This doesn't mean I don't complain about it.)

I've always said I would rather run on the hottest day of the year instead of the coldest day of the year. I reach misery equilibrium in the heat, but cold is the misery that just keeps giving and giving. Good thing I live in Georgia.

QOTD: For those who have been looking forward to warmer temps since winter, do you have them now and or you wishing it was cold again?

I don't mind it as much this time around. A year ago, I was still a relatively new runner, so I had no idea about proper hydration or what to wear. I was still wearing everyday cotton t-shirts for runs and waiting to gulp water after my runs were over. So I'd run poorly with my shirt becoming a second skin. It was miserable.

A year later and wiser, it's not nearly as bad. Would still prefer to do all my runs pre-dawn, but even in the heat of the day, my run on Saturday didn't kill me like it would have 12 months ago.

For me, it’s a combination of things. Too many strollers, too crowded, I don’t really like any of the food there - Be Our Guest dinner is it, but I’m kinda burnt on it, though I’m looking forward to the change to a prix fixe menu and that will definitely get me back through the gates at least once - none of the rides really speak to me, no bars, and I’d rather watch HEA from California Grill or the patio/beach at Poly.

That said, I don’t have kids and my park days are very different from most - I don’t do rides unless I have friends with me, and most of my time is usually in the late afternoon/evening and is structured around eating, drinking and fireworks.

This is pretty much how I am too. I'll ride some rides, but as I get older, the roller coasters/thrill rides don't agree with me, which is a shame because Space Mountain and Star Tours were two of my favorites and now they mess me up. Lately I just act as guide and sherpa, which I'm fine with. Y'all want to go on Big Thunder? Go ahead, I'll go refill our waters and pick up a snack so you can maximize your time in the park. I

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter