The Running Thread—2023

Do any of you run in Transitions/photochromic lensed glasses? More particularly, have you done so with a brimmed hat or visor on?
Yes, many times. I like the ease of just wearing my glasses and letting them turn dark when the sun comes up. Mine get plenty dark for me, but the visor helps keep sun off my face, which I am sensitive to.

reason i don't wear the contacts, i can see well enough to run but i can't read my watch
I've just started playing with contacts and have the same issue when I wear them. They are optimized for my middle and distance vision, and my watch is blurrier than with no glasses at all. I'm not THAT blind without my glasses, so for MW I actually just skipped the glasses entirely when they interfered with my costume, and I carried goodr sunglasses for the full.

Last edited:
@PrincessV I wear transition lens when i run and it is dark (ie can't wear the prescription sunglasses because of the lack of light). In fact I wore mine for the marathon starting in the dark and then finishing in the sun. I wear them with a visor. I will admit they are not as good as running in my sunglasses but i feel like they transition enough and with the visor that i am ok in the sunlight. Plus i am usually miserable at that point so i care less. I have contacts but i really dislike wearing them. I usually only wear them for races (ie because dark then light) or rain. Even with a visor if the rain is bad i can't see with my glasses. My eye sight is pretty bad so I have to wear either my glasses or my contacts. i also have bifocals but my contacts are not bifocal enabled (if that is a thing since i hate contacts i wear them infrequently enough that i dont buy them often). This is another reason i don't wear the contacts, i can see well enough to run but i can't read my watch :rotfl2:
Thank you for this! I didn’t think about rain, so that’s good to consider, too. I wear bifocals, too, and tried wearing them to run… NOPE. I just made my watch face gigantic, lol! IF I ever need to run when the sun is higher and brighter, I can always stick a pair of really dark Rx sunglasses in a pocket or pouch.
Yes, many times. I like the ease of just wearing my glasses and letting them turn dark when the sun comes up. Mine get plenty dark for me, but the visor helps keep sun off my face, which I am sensitive to.
And thank you, too! I have a pair of photochromics in my cart, ready to buy, but wanted to get a better feel if that’s going to work for me. It sounds like it should!

I have my reported 2020 entry but DH will enter the lottery. It would be his first marathon and the only one he would be interested in running… If the lottery says so. Otherwise, he will be cheering 📣 me and the other 50k runners.
What a quandary if I'm not successful at the lottery. I could do the virtual NYC marathon to guarantee a spot for 2024, but I know that my daughter would want to run the Encanto Half Marathon at W&D. How could I say no to DD?

Add me to the list of entering the NYC marathon lottery, but I don't expect to win. (Been trying for many years.) I'll also be trying again to get the guaranteed entry virtual, but also have yet to be sucessful registering for that.

Last published results from NYRR is that they only selected 2.3% of runners from each bucket (local, USA, international), so it's pretty tough if you can't do the 9+1 program or are time qualified.

Since I had to cancel last year, I have guaranteed entry for 2023....just not sure if I want to run (read:train for a marathon)
I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I'm excited by the idea of running from the Queensborough Bridge onto Thunder Alley.

January total: 100/80 miles run
20.4/20 miles walk
120.4/100 miles total

About half of this month’s running total is Dopey. I took a week off then slowly ramped back up. This week was the first week of a transitional HM plan to see if I can be race ready for a PR attempt the first weekend in March. I haven’t signed up yet and will likely hold off until the last possible moment to 1. Make sure I can actually race the distance and 2. See if the weather is amenable to racing. It can easily be way to warm for racing but the 1 year I did this race before, it was chilly, really good weather. I guess we’ll see.

I also have guaranteed entry for NYC 2023 after deferring 2022, excited as I heard it's a great race!
It IS a great race! Yes, it's hilly, and yes, the start at Staten Island is less than ideal, but it's the best! (not that I'm biased or anything)😆
As someone who just wrote in her training journal that I want Disney to be my first marathon finish line, I am tempted to enter this one.
*Kaa's circly eyes*😵 Yes, you want to enter the lottery
Going back and forth on it. I ran in 2021. I am doing Chicago this year too.
Was 2021 the reduced field year? Should be even more fun this year with lots more runners (and probably cheerleaders)
What a quandary if I'm not successful at the lottery. I could do the virtual NYC marathon to guarantee a spot for 2024, but I know that my daughter would want to run the Encanto Half Marathon at W&D. How could I say no to DD?
The Encanto half is this year, though, right? So if you get into the lottery this year, you couldn't run with her?

It IS a great race! Yes, it's hilly, and yes, the start at Staten Island is less than ideal, but it's the best! (not that I'm biased or anything)😆

*Kaa's circly eyes*😵 Yes, you want to enter the lottery

Was 2021 the reduced field year? Should be even more fun this year with lots more runners (and probably cheerleaders)

The Encanto half is this year, though, right? So if you get into the lottery this year, you couldn't run with her?I
The Encanto HM is for W&D which is the same day as the NYC Marathon.

Ran it last year through a charity bib. The fundraising was very meaningful for me, but the race was a disaster for me! I am going to enter the lottery every year until I get picked. I want a redo! It is a fantastic marathon!
How are you feeling now following your experience at NY and Dopey? I hope that you're better and in good place mentally to kick a$$ this coming year!

Since I had to cancel last year, I have guaranteed entry for 2023....just not sure if I want to run (read:train for a marathon)
Is that how it works? Thus, if I am successful at the lottery (unlikely, I know), I can cancel and have a guaranteed entry for the following year?

Is anyone else going to enter the lottery next week for the NYC Marathon?
I'll be entering the lottery, but fully expect to be denied again - I've lost count. :P

I'll also be trying again to get the guaranteed entry virtual, but also have yet to be sucessful registering for that.
Are they doing this again? I'm definitely interested in trying to get in this way.

Is that how it works? Thus, if I am successful at the lottery (unlikely, I know), I can cancel and have a guaranteed entry for the following year?
This is from the website (and I emailed to confirm and was told Yes)....

"Entrants who canceled their entry to the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon according to the cancellation guidelines are eligible to claim guaranteed non-complimentary entry to the 2023 race during the application window (February 8 through 22, 2023)"

I spent the $20 for the race insurance (Allianz has never made money off me!), so I didn't take a hit on the registration fee.

Last edited:
"Entrants who canceled their entry to the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon according to the cancellation guidelines are eligible to claim guaranteed non-complimentary entry to the 2023 race during the application window (February 8 through 22, 2023)"

Note the "non-complimentary" language in @jmasgat's reply. You have to pay the entry fee again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter