The Running Thread—2023

I might have to skip Tamarack Weekend 🥺 my son has a concert that weekend and I'd be a bad mom if I missed it for a race.
Yes, I am a mom and I am a runner. I totally understand that both roles cannot always take the stage at the same time.

The entire family was supposed to run Ottawa in 2020 (5k for all, challenge for me) and, even with their 50% off code from that race, they all bailed on me for 2023. I accept that I do this for myself. I could see a kid not feeling the same way about a concert 😝

ATTQOTD: 2023 Goals

I'm glad I gave it a few days to contemplate post MW, because my goals have definitely changed. Coming off my second Dopey and third marathon, I want to step back to shorter distances that I actually have a shot at improving on. I struggle just to finish a marathon and it takes all my focus, so there is really no room to get better. And realistically the training is too much for me to fit in without disrupting daily life and causing issues with work and DH. So, my goals are:

1. Keep running even when not training for a race. 2-3 times a week is good.
2. Focus on the half marathon distance. Train toward becoming confident in this distance.
3. Find some races to practice and check-in on (maybe the new RnR SLC in August).
3. If things go well with goal 2, set a new PR for the half!
Can I steal your answers for my 2023 goals! :)

I'm still looking at the Hurt the Dirt Trail marathon in Grand Rapids in April... you could join me!
That date will likely conflict with my son's high school baseball schedule and I won't know the schedule until early March. He's a pitcher and I just can't miss a game if he's on the mound!

If he ends up not having a game, I may do one of the shorter distances. I just don't think I'll be marathon ready in April yet. It's a really fun course and the post race food is usually amazing.

So as I've been pondering my 2023 goals more, and seeing that lovely medal pic from Ottawa, I'm thinking that I'd like to start running races in other states. I've already done NY, PA, VA, MD, DC and FL. What are some of your favorite races in each state? I'd prefer half or shorter. No fulls.

So as I've been pondering my 2023 goals more, and seeing that lovely medal pic from Ottawa, I'm thinking that I'd like to start running races in other states. I've already done NY, PA, VA, MD, DC and FL. What are some of your favorite races in each state? I'd prefer half or shorter. No fulls.
The TC 10 Miler in the Twin Cities, MN is really pretty, and it’s run the same day, and part of the same course as the TC Marathon, so you get a ton of crowd support, especially in the second half. You can also combine it with the 10K and 5K the day before for a Loony Challenge, if that’s your thing.

Edited to add, it’s run the first weekend in October, so this year it’s Sept 30/Oct 1

The Lake Tahoe Marathon weekend has 3 halfs (as well as 3 fulls and a whole bunch of other options) and you could knock out two states in one weekend. October 13-15 this year (https://www.laketahoemarathon.com/).

I did the Nevada one in 2017 as was also trying to check off new states, but my friend who ran the Emerald Bay one said it was gorgeous.

For NC, do you prefer the mountains or the coast? I don't think anything is going to be too scenic in the piedmont. In the mountains you've got the Asheville Half Marathon that's run on the Biltmore Estate. On the coast you've got the Flying Pirate Half Marathon in the northern outer banks, the Battleship Half Marathon running from the USS North Carolina through historic downtown Wilmington, or any number of other "beach" type races.

PR all the distances - can check the big one off early with a marathon PR to finish off Dopey this past weekend 🎉🎉
That’s one of my goals too. Already checked off the 5k and marathon at Dopey this year. Going for the half in May. Not sure which 10k I’ll be targeting. Kinda depends on if I convince my six year old to start running and which 5k he wants to do with me. I’ll shuffle the 10k around based on that. Luckily a local organization does a lot of races with significant net downhill runs. Planning on all their races this year since the medals all go together to make a cohesive design. So one will be my 10k attempt.

Doesn’t seem likely to happen this year for me but I’ve had my eye on the Rock n Roll Las Vegas half that happens in Feb, you get to run the strip at night.

Doesn’t seem likely to happen this year for me but I’ve had my eye on the Rock n Roll Las Vegas half that happens in Feb, you get to run the strip at night.

I did RnR Vegas three times when it was in November. Sadly the new dates don't work for me at all. But it's a great race and the course is mostly good. The part on the actual strip is great, but then there's the odd, dark and scary section between Resorts World and Fremont. The weather was always perfect and the course support is nice, even for the back of the pack.

I will say their corral organization is crap. They do NOT check your bib so everyone just shoves as far to the front as possible to start. The corrals get scary full! I bought the silver race retreat (or whatever they call it) to have the area to wait for the start in with tents, food and seating, and it was well worth it. You can basically hang there until they call your color group, then just walk out with the crowd.

Funny, I literally closed that page out a moment ago and my browser dropped me back on this tab. I’m looking for something but now I think I’m leaning more toward a full instead of a half.
Hoping this discussion blows up into a list of destination races, I know there have been several mentioned in the past but I’ve never written them down. Now I’m looking with schedule options in possibly February or March, May, September, early October. Looked at Newport RI, a couple in Maine, would like to do Niagara but they haven’t announced yet if it will cross the border this year. Looking at Wineglass now, I know that’s been mentioned before. That looks like a course that I should train hard for and maybe go for a BQ. Thoughts….

@surfde22 congrats on your PR!!

Those of you looking for a cumulative downhill to BQ or at least PR, Rock n Roll is launching a Half here in Salt Lake in August. It cools WAY off here at night and starts in the foothills, so weather should be decent for at least the faster folks. I'm considering doing it just because I'm local and it's an inaugural race.

EDIT TO ADD: Okay, I just looked at the course map and I lied. This is not anything close to the race it's replacing, which was downhill from a canyon. This starts and ends in the valley, which means it's uphill the first half and downhill the second. https://www.runrocknroll.com/salt-lake-city-courses

Last edited:
What are some of your favorite races in each state? I'd prefer half or shorter. No fulls.

I get the feeling there aren’t too many west coasters on these threads, but our absolute favorite half is Surf City in Huntington Beach. It’s always on Superbowl Sunday except the makeup in 2021. We’ve done it every year (except the one year I did the full - my PR full), and we typically do the Beach Cities challenge. This adds the OC half/full in early May, and Long Beach (my least favorite of the three) in October. 😎🌴 Oh, we also recently did the Revel Big Bear Half and really enjoyed it - enough to sign up again for this year.

2023 Goals:
I met my goal to finish the half this past weekend! The next time I do one I'd like to be able to enjoy it more, maybe even stop for a character. So my #1 goal is to continue training. I'm signed up for the 10k at Princess, and the Springtime Surprise challenge.

I'm pretty good at consistently showing up for training, but I need to work on everything else: speed work, strength, nutrition, etc. It's great starting something new because there is so much room for improvement.

I also need to find more running friends. Most of the people in my life, while very supportive, think I'm nuts. Then there's that one friend who's trying to talk me into running a full marathon!

What are some of your favorite races in each state?
For Indiana, I'd say the Indy Mini is the state's iconic race. Course goes around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There are tons of hotels in walking distance to start/finish line, so easy logistics.

In Wyoming and Montana we did the Vacation Races runs just outside of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. They were well organized races in amazing settings - great to combine with a long vacation.

Another option for NV, is the Hoover Dam Half by BBSC Endurance. Running with Lake Mead in full view was really awesome.

The Lake Tahoe Marathon weekend has 3 halfs (as well as 3 fulls and a whole bunch of other options) and you could knock out two states in one weekend. October 13-15 this year
I totally want to do these one year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter