The real reason for Daily Room Checks?

KarenP64

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

In trying to decide whether or not to travel to Disney World this year, we were concerned about the experience of staying onsite at WDW. After reading the forum, it sounds like the daily room checks are because of the new law being implemented for no tolerance of human trafficking. We love our privacy (who wants to be walked in on while sleeping or showering or be awoken from a desperately-needed nap midday?) but understand security has to play an active role in preventing this terrible problem if possible. We're just wondering what a 2-week vacation there will actually be like now. Is the human trafficking so prevalent in FL that a vacation can't be enjoyed anymore? That along with the thieves/scammers who come to the rooms to try to break in and/or leave their pizza flyers everywhere to steal your CC info & the dogs being allowed to poop everywhere & go in the restaurants, etc.??? We would love a Disney vacation & love the nostalgia of past ones, but have times changed so much in the last few years that it's impossible to enjoy one anymore? Would love to hear everyone's advice! TIA!

We just got back from a week long stay at Beach Club...
The only difference between this trip and our last trip 2 years ago was the resort.
We didn’t experience any knocking, no dogs pooping, no pizza flyers, nobody tried breaking into our room.
YMMV, but for us, we had a great week without any issues at all.

Hi everyone,

In trying to decide whether or not to travel to Disney World this year, we were concerned about the experience of staying onsite at WDW. After reading the forum, it sounds like the daily room checks are because of the new law being implemented for no tolerance of human trafficking. We love our privacy (who wants to be walked in on while sleeping or showering or be awoken from a desperately-needed nap midday?) but understand security has to play an active role in preventing this terrible problem if possible. We're just wondering what a 2-week vacation there will actually be like now. Is the human trafficking so prevalent in FL that a vacation can't be enjoyed anymore? That along with the thieves/scammers who come to the rooms to try to break in and/or leave their pizza flyers everywhere to steal your CC info & the dogs being allowed to poop everywhere & go in the restaurants, etc.??? We would love a Disney vacation & love the nostalgia of past ones, but have times changed so much in the last few years that it's impossible to enjoy one anymore? Would love to hear everyone's advice! TIA!

I can't tell if this is a serious post as the questions/concerns seem so outrageous to me, but I'll go with it.

Stop reading the boards for those topics - people can be ridiculous. You will be fine.

I can't tell if this is a serious post as the questions/concerns seem so outrageous to me, but I'll go with it.

Stop reading the boards for those topics - people can be ridiculous. You will be fine.
Yes, it's very serious. And sadly, it's not just from reading the boards but also from the Orlando/Kissimmee newspapers & TV news reports.

Didnt experience any of that last year. Though seeing the response above and knowing I too stayed at a Deluxe, maybe things are different at the values / farther away from the parks.

No dogs, yes to pizza flyers (but we never order from outside..now reading this I know we will never do it!!), nobody knocking except mousekeeping. I feel completely safe at WDW. Yes, I use common sense...I dont leave my pocketbook unattended at the pool / restaurant buffet, I dont let my kids go anywhere I cant see them, I dont go near the lagoon or in any area marked off limits, etc..etc... I wouldnt do any of that on any vacation regardless of where I am. All "tourist" destinations will have a very rare small issue. Its not only Disney. You can either choose to never go on vacation again, or enjoy life while being a little vigilant.

Yes, it's very serious. And sadly, it's not just from reading the boards but also from the Orlando/Kissimmee newspapers & TV news reports.

Are you in fear these things will happen to you? Or are you in fear that you will be disturbed with room checks during your stay?

The room checks - seems to be different everywhere, work in progress, but majority of people have no issues.

Dogs - read the sticky thread, most people have just fine experiences, every once in a while is a bad report, but some of those people went specifically looking for the issues - seems Fort Wilderness has the most dogs. Seems to not be a problem.

Human trafficking? - I'm sure you know it won't happen to you while you visit Disney.

Hijacked CC - just use common sense and if there's a breach, that can happen anywhere.

Thieves breaking in rooms? Have not seen one report, I would assume it's a very rare occurrence.

Pizza flyers have been a thing for YEARS. We got one at Cabana Bay over at Universal in November. You already know not to call them so those aren't an issue. Same for skimmers. These scams are just a fact of life in the Central Florida tourist corridor. You are aware of them and know what steps to take to protect yourself.

I have read every post on the majority of the threads on this issue. I have also read the Orlando news articles. It is more about Human Trafficking than the Las Vegas shooter. I was at first really put out by the idea of being disturbed since on past trips, we cannot seem to get housekeeping to come while we are out in the parks, and make a daily habit of interrupting afternoon naps including walking in on us while we were naked in bed. However, after reading the absolutely upsetting articles, I will allow housekeeping/security to enter and look around at my inconvenience. Just the idea of the victims suffering is enough to make me realize that the room checks really aren't a big deal compared to what is happening to so many innocent people.

If you have serious anxiety about the things you mentioned, then I don’t know if you would enjoy vacation anywhere.

I completely understand being worried. I spend most of my life worrying about things I can’t control. I feel 100% safe when I am at Disney. That is a big reason why it is my vacation of choice.

Yes, I'd really, really like to go & if it's not something that will ruin vacation, then I'll not worry over it & just go. But, before spending thousands of dollars to enjoy a vacation, I first wanted to know if these things I read about are causing it to not be a fun vacation anymore. It's sounding like it still is! (I hope, I hope, I hope!) :)

We were up and out at waaaay-too-early-thirty this morning to watch DD in the Princess Half. When we got back to Pop we decided to grab a quick nap before heading out this evening. Around 11:00 AM a CM knocked on our door. She spoke very little English and would only repeat, "Maintenance, security" over and over. I tried to explain that people were sleeping but truly think she didn't understand a word I said. DH was asleep on the bed in his skivvies and it felt super awkward.

Is this a daily thing now? If so, it will definitely have a negative effect on our decision to stay on site in the future.

Didnt experience any of that last year.

Yeah, a bunch has changed recently.

My impression was that the daily room checks were more because of the Las Vegas shooting.

Not according to those who live here.

Human trafficking? - I'm sure you know it won't happen to you while you visit Disney.

The op isn’t afraid of it happening, but that the room checks are being done to somehow prevent it. (Bc nothing says “we’ll help you” like a random male insisting on coming into a room where a teen girl might be napping or watching tv while parents are off to the parks!!)

And throw the latch on your door. That way no one can barge in while you are showering or sleeping.

One person showers while the other runs to get coffee and it isn’t coordinated right. One persin goes to the parks whole the other sleeps because they are sick. Etc. Ways that the latch is impossible.

We were there for 12 nights in January staying at AS Sp. Since we are up and out for rope drop and didn't return till late or dinner time we never saw housekeeping or security. DH was sick one day and went back to the room to rest and no one bothered him as housekeeping was already there. We did not decline housekeeping so someone was in our room everyday.

Yeah, a bunch has changed recently.

Not according to those who live here.

The op isn’t afraid of it happening, but that the room checks are being done to somehow prevent it. (Bc nothing says “we’ll help you” like a random male insisting on coming into a room where a teen girl might be napping or watching tv while parents are off to the parks!!)

One person showers while the other runs to get coffee and it isn’t coordinated right. One persin goes to the parks whole the other sleeps because they are sick. Etc. Ways that the latch is impossible.
Yeah, things like this make it sound like spending thousands is a stupid idea. Relaxing vacation...not so much anymore... :(

Are you in fear these things will happen to you? Or are you in fear that you will be disturbed with room checks during your stay?

The room checks - seems to be different everywhere, work in progress, but majority of people have no issues.

Dogs - read the sticky thread, most people have just fine experiences, every once in a while is a bad report, but some of those people went specifically looking for the issues - seems Fort Wilderness has the most dogs. Seems to not be a problem.

Hijacked CC - just use common sense and if there's a breach, that can happen anywhere.

Thieves breaking in rooms? Have not seen one report, I would assume it's a very rare occurrence.

Just for reference, the OP is not referring to being afraid, per se, that he/she will be a victim of human trafficking. I believe they are referring to being disturbed by the security checks that are now being implemented by WDW in preparation for the new legislation.

The Florida legislature is on the verge of passing a bill that will allow victims to sue the hotels in which their human trafficking took place. According to the linked article which explains the legislation a little further, "Orlando is the third-highest city for its number of calls per capita to the National Human Trafficking Hotline, according to The Polaris Project, which operates the hotline. The nonprofit reported that hotels and motels across the state had emerged in 2015 as the most common places where trafficking occurs." Accordingly the bill, "would allow victims to sue hotel owners and staff as facilitators for human trafficking if they either knowingly or through willful blindness allow traffickers to rent rooms."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-human-trafficking-bill-20180221-story.html

Hence the room checks. I think OP just wants to know if the checks have gotten so intrusive that they really make for an unpleasant stay.

Just for reference, the OP is not referring to being afraid, per se, that he/she will be a victim of human trafficking. I believe they are referring to being disturbed by the security checks that are now being implemented by WDW in preparation for the new legislation.

The Florida legislature is on the verge of passing a bill that will allow victims to sue the hotels in which their human trafficking took place. According to the linked article which explains the legislation a little further, "Orlando is the third-highest city for its number of calls per capita to the National Human Trafficking Hotline, according to The Polaris Project, which operates the hotline. The nonprofit reported that hotels and motels across the state had emerged in 2015 as the most common places where trafficking occurs." Accordingly the bill, "would allow victims to sue hotel owners and staff as facilitators for human trafficking if they either knowingly or through willful blindness allow traffickers to rent rooms."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-human-trafficking-bill-20180221-story.html

Hence the room checks. I think OP just wants to know if the checks have gotten so intrusive that they really make for an unpleasant stay.
I didn't even know this was a thing. I may have been one of the ones to first bring up the idea that the room checks were more for trafficking and less for the Vegas incident. And that was just a gut instinct guess, not any particular knowledge. Guess I was on to something.

As to the OP, the biggest thing really, if you opt to let them do daily housekeeping your odds of being bothered are greatly reduced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!