*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

I can bet all the parks will fill. Anyone with a park hopper will see the chaos at DHS and hop over to another park.

Also keep in mind Aug 13 - 19 is Gay Days in Orlando. This event usually gathers a crowd of 150,000, with about 50,000 guests going to the parks on designated days. This years dates are:

Thur 08/15 - Animal Kingdom
Fri 08/16 - DHS
Sat 08/17 - Magic Kingdom
Sun 08/18 - Epcot

Thanks for this info. I remember hearing that Gay day’s had moved to August, but I didn’t know the specifics.

That’s when we will be there. I’m wondering if this will week will become even busier now?
Maybe slightly. But it’s still the first week or 2 of schools in a lot of states. So the way I’m looking at it, it’s a lot better than it’s going to be for months or years after.....

Not gonna lie, the Star Wars news is really disappointing to me. We are there Aug 23-31. This is our 3 year old's first trip and we picked this week to avoid crowds as best we could, despite the weather. Coming from Canada, Disney is very expensive and we only get to go once every 3-4 years at best. The SW people will obviously not be interested in the same stuff we will be doing with a preschooler, but if crowds pick up all over it will be disappointing. To bad they don't announce these things over 6 months in advance...to change now I would risk losing my ADRs, have to rebook flights and room, not worth all the hassle so just hoping it isn't going to be too bad.

Well, we’ve been booked at the Poly for Sept 7-14th and when this news hit, I was extremely irritated since neither of my boys give two hoots about StarWars and neither do my husband or I. So I quickly booked us into the Yacht Club for Aug 10-17 - at a cheaper rate! - and just finished making all of our dining reservations.

I was a bit worried about crowds during that week, and had hoped for the week of 17-24th, but there were no openings... until this afternoon, when I snagged an even CHEAPER studio villa at Beach Club. However when I started looking for dining reservations, they are MUCH more booked up than the previous week.

So now I don’t know WHAT to do. Are people swapping from that week of the 17th to the next week in order to go to SWGE but they just haven’t cancelled dining reservations yet? Are people anticipating switching TO the 17th to avoid SWGE? Are people moving from the week of the 10th to the week of the 17th in hopes of soft openings??

I’m going to give it a couple of days to calm down before I cancel ANYTHING or make any more dining reservations.

Thank goodness I haven’t bought train tickets yet!!

We are looking for the Frozen Illuminations Dessert Party, but it doesn’t appear to be open at this time. Do you think it will be extended into August? Has anyone done it before? This would be our first dessert party.

We are looking for the Frozen Illuminations Dessert Party, but it doesn’t appear to be open at this time. Do you think it will be extended into August? Has anyone done it before? This would be our first dessert party.

I am not surprised that it is not open. I do expect it to be available, but I have no knowledge other than past experience.

We have been twice. It is out favorite of the dessert parties. The view is great and we like the food the best. It's nice to have a not crowded, not loud, relaxed atmosphere to just sit and hang out as a family.

Like every other person who has a Disney trip planned in the summer months, I really want to finish up my plans. I want to book the dessert parties and I wish Disney would announce dates for DAH (although what would really suck is if they just cancel it altogether with no announcement leaving us hanging)

We leave the day before, seriously thinking about trying to rebook for earlier in the month now. Problem is we have a free dining bounce back and I don't want to lose that. I want nothing to do with the crowds and I'm afraid this will really effect them the whole time we are there the 21st-28th...I have to decide soon because we booked our flight last night and have about 7 hours to cancel without a fee. HELP

My guess would be that the people who are coming specifically for the Star Wars opening won't be coming many days before opening day. I think they'd come 1-2 days early, depending on airfare. The bulk of their trips will be after Star Wars opening, especially if they worry they won't get on the ride the first day. If it was me going for opening (which I'm not doing!), I would plan on trying to get in the land on day 1, and then I'd be trying again 1 or 2 more times during the trip to try to ride Smugglers Run.

Touring Plans put out a blog post on their website called: How Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will Impact the Crowd Calendar.

It is a good read done in Q&A Format.

Touring Plans put out a blog post on their website called: How Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will Impact the Crowd Calendar.

Thanks for sharing. That made me feel better.

I’m not worried about the SWGE opening affecting my trip. I think it will be fine. My only concern right now is getting the 3 ADRs I wasn’t able to secure. Totally not the end of the world but I’d love to get them so I can move on.

Well, my family is bummed because we leave on the 24th and SWland opens the 29th. I'm not so bummed because I am going back on 9/25 so I'll see it then. They will just have to wait until February to see SW Land. Oh well! :rolleyes1

Well, we’ve been booked at the Poly for Sept 7-14th and when this news hit, I was extremely irritated since neither of my boys give two hoots about StarWars and neither do my husband or I. So I quickly booked us into the Yacht Club for Aug 10-17 - at a cheaper rate! - and just finished making all of our dining reservations.

I was a bit worried about crowds during that week, and had hoped for the week of 17-24th, but there were no openings... until this afternoon, when I snagged an even CHEAPER studio villa at Beach Club. However when I started looking for dining reservations, they are MUCH more booked up than the previous week.

So now I don’t know WHAT to do. Are people swapping from that week of the 17th to the next week in order to go to SWGE but they just haven’t cancelled dining reservations yet? Are people anticipating switching TO the 17th to avoid SWGE? Are people moving from the week of the 10th to the week of the 17th in hopes of soft openings??

I’m going to give it a couple of days to calm down before I cancel ANYTHING or make any more dining reservations.

Thank goodness I haven’t bought train tickets yet!!

Check July, too. When we booked our dates (Aug 6 - 13), it was much more booked up at 180 days than when I'd been checking dining availability in July. For example, and 180 days out, there were still plenty of dining reservations at Artist Point, even some at 179 days.

I can’t say I buy all his conclusions. I want to know what the actual across-park bump was for Pandora. Because SWGE is going to be orders of magnitude greater. I really think he underestimates the siren call of StarWars...

A few of you have mentioned that 8/28 is a HS day for you. It is for us too. I’m debating if we should move it to earlier in the trip or keep it the 28th. Our plans were to hang at the pool in the morning then go to HS in the late afternoon. We have a dinner ADR at 4 at Hollywood & Vine.

What are you all doing?

A few of you have mentioned that 8/28 is a HS day for you. It is for us too. I’m debating if we should move it to earlier in the trip or keep it the 28th. Our plans were to hang at the pool in the morning then go to HS in the late afternoon. We have a dinner ADR at 4 at Hollywood & Vine.

What are you all doing?

I’m keeping, we have EMM booked, will hit up some rides after that, maybe some shows, and then head to the pool. I’m not changing the plan as of now. I already paid for EMM before the Galaxy Edge announcement and don’t really want to shift everything around.

Please add us to the roll call.
August 2-9 staying at the POP

You are added.

Apparently, we are there during gay days, and better yet, two of our park days match theirs. Guess the parks will be a bit busier than we had originally anticipated those two days lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter