The Learning Curve

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Who's on it?
rolleyes4.gif

I know there are a lot of new, and fairly new, dSLR users here, including myself. I thought it might be nice to have a place to share information, bounce ideas off eachother, learn, share pictures and links/articles of interest, and generally have some fun.

All levels and brands are welcome, it doesn't matter what you use, this will be a general thread (but if you want, you can put your camera image in your signature).

Maybe the "old dogs" here could follow along if they like.

I thought we could talk about all aspects of dSLR use, and if there's enough interest, I'd be willing to index the subjects in this OP. Things like lenses, white balance, focus, gear bags, whatever we want to talk about.

Who's in?

INDEX

Mark Barbieri Tutorials Links page 11

Handicap18 Photo Assignment Threads page 25

Pea-n-Me Dis Photography Board Monthly Assignment Threads page 31

Lenses pages 1,2,11,13,15, 21
Definition of dSLR page 2
F Stops pages 3,4
Portrait Photography page 5
Sensor Dust and Cleaning pages 5,11
Focus Points pages 5,6
Histogram page 6
RAW vs JPEG pages 8,9
Shooting Snow page 8
Focal Length pages 9,10,21
Exposure Compensation pages 12, 26-27
Metering pages 14, 27/Barbieri link page 11
What's in your Gadget Bag? page 14
Saving TIFF files page 16-17
Hyperfocal Distance page 17
Focusing to Infinity page 18
Photography Terms/Slang page 19
Exposure and Shutter Speed pages 20, 26-27
Illustration of Digital Camera Sensor Sizes page 21
Relation of Crop Factor, Focal Length and Lenses pages 20,21
What Did You Learn This Summer page 22
Exposure Settings Table/Second Curtain Synch page 22
Tell Me About Your First Months With A DSLR page 22
"Indicating a Correct Exposure" page 23
Firmware pages 23, 24
The downside to having a DSLR page 24
"P" (Program) Mode vs AV Mode page 25
DSLR Startup Costs page 25
Panoramics page 25
Traveling with your dSLR (Photo storage and gear bags) page 25
Bridge Camera vs dSLR page 26
First Year, First Trip With DSLR, An Essay page 27
Photos in gymnasiums - what settings? page 29
External Flash page 29
Do I really need UV filters? page 30

QUESTION OF THE DAY (Sometimes answers on several pages.)

Why a dSLR? page 3
How did you learn to use your dSLR? page 4
What is your shooting style, and how did it influence your choice of camera? page 6
Why did you buy the camera you did, and would you do anything differently if you were buying for the first time today? page 11
Image Stabilization: how important is it anyway? page 15
What sequence do you use to set up your shot? page 27

I'm in, I just orderd a Nikon D40x which hopefully should arrive tomorrow. It comes with the 18-55mm kit lens which will be wide enough for my needs, but I am suspecting it will not have enough zoom so I am contemplating what additional lens to get. I bought a lowepro bag to put the camera in (I love my lowepro rucksack that fits my cameras and laptop when I travel.)

I also ordered a kind of idiots guide book which is especially for the Nikon D40x which I have been reading today which seems really good and it builds up your confidence and gives you more knowledge as you need to know it rather that confusing you with all the technical info first!!

Count me in! My Sony A300 just came today (I'm still at work and am dying to get home to play with it!!) :woohoo:

What lenses you you have and how do you like them? I'm trying to decide what lens to buy to get better zoom.

you need to figure out what your shooting conditions and subject matter are. If it always going to be in the bright sunlight, they all work. If your planing on doing an indoor dance recital or sporting event, then you need a much more specific lens.

you need to figure out what your shooting conditions and subject matter are. If it always going to be in the bright sunlight, they all work. If your planing on doing an indoor dance recital or sporting event, then you need a much more specific lens.

What would I need for an indoor dance recital? (asks the mom whose DD4 will be in her first one on June 21 ;) ) I currently have the 18-135 that I bought with the Nikon D80 body as well as older 35-70 and 70-210 lenses that I have from the days of my Nikon 4004 film camera.

I will be mainly shooting outdoors, hopefully in bright sunlight (although this can never be a given in England!!) I was thinking of upgrading the 18-55mm lens to the 18-200mm for general purpose use and then maybe getting a 70-300mm when I visit the USA in the summer (the prices in $$ are what we nearly pay in £ here!!)

Edit: Sorry I realise I should have been more specific.

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s32829...kuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=n

and

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s32829...kuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=n

Although looking at the price I realise it might be cheaper to order it from the USA, pay the postage and pay the 17.5% UK VAT to get it imported!!

What would I need for an indoor dance recital? (asks the mom whose DD4 will be in her first one on June 21 ;) ) I currently have the 18-135 that I bought with the Nikon D80 body as well as older 35-70 and 70-210 lenses that I have from the days of my Nikon 4004 film camera.

I don't know what the appeture values on those lenses are. What your looking for is a fast lens, which means one that has a pretty wide apeture. Most camera brands have a 70-200 f/2.8 lens available, or something very similar. Sigma also makes theirs available in most camera mounts (usually at around 1/2 the cost of the OEM model.) To me that is what I would be looking at. Especially as your DD is young and you'll be able to use the lens for years to come, even as you upgrade the body, the lens will still continue along with you.

Your lenses might start at something such as f/3.5 which would most likely be adaquate, but most zooms have a variable apeture, so as soon as you start zooming, the apeture starts closing up. That is one of the greatest benifits of the consitant f value.

I don't photograph dance recitals, but do shoot sports, which is similar, I use the 70-200 f/2.8 and I have a 1.4 extender I can put on which makes it a 98-280 f/4 lens. With that and cropping I can usually get whatever I am looking for.

I don't know what the appeture values on those lenses are. What your looking for is a fast lens, which means one that has a pretty wide apeture. Most camera brands have a 70-200 f/2.8 lens available, or something very similar. Sigma also makes theirs available in most camera mounts (usually at around 1/2 the cost of the OEM model.) To me that is what I would be looking at. Especially as your DD is young and you'll be able to use the lens for years to come, even as you upgrade the body, the lens will still continue along with you.

Your lenses might start at something such as f/3.5 which would most likely be adaquate, but most zooms have a variable apeture, so as soon as you start zooming, the apeture starts closing up. That is one of the greatest benifits of the consitant f value.

I don't photograph dance recitals, but do shoot sports, which is similar, I use the 70-200 f/2.8 and I have a 1.4 extender I can put on which makes it a 98-280 f/4 lens. With that and cropping I can usually get whatever I am looking for.

Ok, so I guess we'll start with lenses.

Articles

A lens tutorial

DSLR Lens Introduction

Prime vs Zoom

Classic 50mm "Normal" Lens - thanks dr zero

Buying Your Second Lens - thanks cpbjgc

How To Decide On A Lens (Dis Thread)

Lens websites recommended by Dis Photog Boarders:

http://www.photozone.de/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

http://www.photodo.com/

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php

Feel free to post other lens information, questions, ideas, photo examples, links, etc, will add as we go.

How about listing what equipment you have. That might help with lens suggestions.

If you can, include all the info on the lens. Not just 18-55mm. For those that are new, this will help with the learning curve on lenses. The other information is the aperture or aperture range. This is listed right on the lens and usually looks something like: 1:3.5-4.5 or 1:3.5-5.6 or 1:2.8. Other info though not as important are the letters such as DX or IE or VR or IS or AF-S. If you come to understand what these things mean, it will help with deciding what lens to use when and why it does what it does.

Knowledge is Power.

Thanks, Gregg and Kyle.

Lenses were something that really intimidated me; I'd never used a camera with a detachable lens before. I felt like I needed to learn something about them if I was going to use them. I've been studying the basics and I'm beginning to understand.

Types of lenses, magnification factors, focal lengths, fast lens, prime, walkaround, zoom, telephoto, etc - these were terms I wanted to become familiar with. Additionally, I use a 4/3 system so those have their own considerations, but mainly I just want to learn how lenses work in general.

I have an Olympus E-510 and my two (kit) lenses are a 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 and a 40-150mm f4.0-5.6. I'm finding in my first month with the camera that I'm enjoying the 40-150 a lot and would probably like a longer focal length/wider aperture at some point. And of course I'd also like a prime lens good for low light, but exactly which one remains to be seen. Olympus just came out with a new 25mm f2.8 "pancake lens" on one of their newer models which I'm curious about. (Definitely want "something" before my next Disney trip!)

Right now I'm just taking my time and having a lot of fun using my new camera.

I'm in :thumbsup2
Great idea Pea-n-Me!! I've had an XT for about a year now but only recently began trying to move away from the nifty little automatic settings. I have read so much of this board over the past few months and am trying to learn but this is a great idea for those of us newbies who don't want to hijack someone else's thread to ask questions. I'm looking forward to this

Great idea for a thread. I have been using a dslr now for about 2 years.

Right now I'm just taking my time and having a lot of fun using my new camera.

That right there is the single best piece of advice you can give. Lots and lots of folks go out and purchase a lens or 2 right out of the gate, not understanding what they might really need, so they end up spending way more, because they thing have to go purchase more lenses.

Instead, it would be better to use the camera and figure out what shots your not able to get and why, then getting a lens that will solve that for you.

Of course, my son now has lots of lenses to play with on the old XT :rolleyes1

Great idea for a thread. I have been using a dslr now for about 2 years.

I had that same thought Gdad, I am still learning every day. In fact 2 years out, I throw away more now than I did when I first started.

Ive had my DSLR for about a year now. I dont get to play with it very often as Im a busy mum of 3 and we also run our own business.

I own a Canon 30D and my lenses are: Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-85IS, Canon 70-300IS, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro.

Id say I was an enthusiastic beginner, maybe bordering on intermediate these days.

Im confident with wildlife photography and might be able to help others with that, but would love to be able to take good portraits and cant, so any tutorial or help with that would be fantastic!!

I have been tinkering with DSLR's for about a year now and can truly say that I am an amature with hopes of progressing into atleast freelance photography. Right now though I am debating on which system to invest into and stick with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter