The Last Best Thing Taken Away At Mgm

tom in ct.

Mouseketeer
The last great place for a quick eat at MGM is gone for good! the Backlot Express although still there no longer has its great fixin bar making it just another below average burger stand! I spoke with a CM there about the great loss and he said that he also will miss it and all that he was told was that it was a permanent cost cutting measure!:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( P.S More sad reports to come from my Sept. 5-9 visit!

I'm trying to remember when I first noticed it. Seems it was one of my May trips. At the time I thought about posting, but figured I'd get accused of more belly-aching. I agree, you could really dress up a dog or burger. Too bad.

We used to always have a quick bite at the Backlot Express, because it was the only place that served any counter service we liked, but now the fixings bar has gone on our last vacation we ate there once but never again. I just couldn't stand the burgers so dry, so for us their cost cutting measure led to us either eating outside the park before entering or leaving early and going offsite to have a decent evening meal elsewhere. These meals were all ' off property ' so they lost money from us. Obviously if time is tight you cannot do that, but it was our solution. A big shame. Sadly missed.:( :( :(

FWIW -

I think it was early last year that the "fixin" bar was taken from cosmic ray's, but it came back after a while. Who knows. If it bothers you, say something about it because who knows.

DR

We didn't eat there - we prefer the ABC Comm. Cool-darker-relaxing. Very nice place to unwind and the food has always been very good. 'Specially the desert!!

Well, to be honest, I used to work at Backlot Express, and I can't tell you how many times I saw people not pay and get some container and make a salad for themselves to eat dinner.

One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel.

As disgusting as that revelation is, I have seen it happen myself at several "Fast Food" outlets that have a "fixens" area.

I can not even BELIEVE some people. It would NEVER occur to me to help myself to the condiment bar and make a salad for myself. To quote a line from the original MIB... "I hate the living."

We always used to eat at the Backlot. We will miss the bar.

Alright...it's bad, it's sad but...just how much was it really costing Disney? We are talking lettuce and tomatos here. Versus people choosing to eat elsewhere because the food without the fixin's isn't interesting.

Of course maybe thats a low percentage...and their profit flow from the backlot express is as good without the people who liked the fixins bar as it was with the fixins bar plus the thieves.

PS. I do have to say I don't bother getting fast food in parks unless I'm desparate. This is one element Disney should look into fixing. If I'm staying onsite I'll probably get at least one meal from a Disney restaurant anyway...if I'm staying offsite that will not be the case.

I never eat at the parks unless it's something truly special that I don't or can't get elsewhere.

I had a Turkey leg, a little counter service from each of the World Showcase countries, a citrus swirl from the Sunshine Terrace in Adventureland, a corn dog from the boardwalk, and a chocolate chip cookie from the Confectionary on Main Street (GOD those are amazing!) That was pretty much the only "Disney" food I ate while I was on property. We went elsewhere for a nice meal.

Fixin's bars are havens for all sorts of nasty bacteria. Next time you're at Backlot Express, go into the bathroom and pay attention to how many people wash their hands.
I'd say a good 20% of the patrons at a typical fast food restaurant fail to wash their hands after using the toilet. And those are the same people using the utensils at the fixin's bar.

What if, God forbid, somebody's finger goes through the toilet paper and that person doesn't wash his hands. If that guy uses the fixin's bar, fecal matter will end up in the food. No thanks.

I'm glad the Backlot Express got rid of the fixin's bar. I hope all Disney counter service places follow suit.

Originally posted by stevets
Fixin's bars are havens for all sorts of nasty bacteria. Next time you're at Backlot Express, go into the bathroom and pay attention to how many people wash their hands.
I'd say a good 20% of the patrons at a typical fast food restaurant fail to wash their hands after using the toilet. And those are the same people using the utensils at the fixin's bar.

Same thing goes for those serving you as well. So either way enjoy :)

Originally posted by EUROPA
Same thing goes for those serving you as well. So either way enjoy :)
But even if the guy serving you is a slob, he's just one guy...better than hundreds of slobs spilling their vile excretions into an open container from which you will be eating.

At least there's a law requiring food handlers to wash their hands after using the bathroom. I know, compliance is never 100%, but its pretty good. Especially when there are multiple people using the bathroom. All it takes is one to "blow the whistle..."

Having worked in several nice and not so nice establishments while in High school and college I can tell you that people washing their hands is the exception rather than the rule. Law or no law. Maybe if you keep telling yourself that they are washing it will make you "feel" better but it's just not the case.

Maybe if you keep telling yourself that they are washing it will make you "feel" better but it's just not the case.

Sorry that you worked in places where a minority bothered to wash their hands.

Fortunately, its at least a majority in most places.

Doesn't make me feel better or worse either way, because how I feel about it has no impact on whether or not the cook washed his hands, or just pee'd in the sink...

I'm just being realisitc...

Originally posted by raidermatt

Fortunately, its at least a majority in most places.

I'm just wondering how you came to this conclusion ??

I'm just being realisitc...

I think I was the one throwing out the realism there.

I'm just wondering how you came to this conclusion ??
You aren't the only one who has worked in a restaurant, knows people who work in a restaurant, and/or uses restrooms in restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter