• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Incredibles, offensive?

CastawayJP

DIS Veteran
M not sure if this has been brought up before, but we were reading one of our kids' Incredibles books to them the other night and were surprised to see the villain's name was Syndrome... Does anyone else find this somewhat offensive, and surprised that Disney/Pixar would let that happen? I've seen the movie countless times, and I don't know how I missed it...

First, are you offended yourself or for someone else?

Do you have a syndrome? Do you know how many human conditions have the term "syndrome" in their name?

I'm sure a very small portion of the population are offended by this, just as a small portion of the population are offended by practically anything?

:confused3

Meh. They aren't singling out a specific group for ridicule, so why would anyone think this is offensive. Of course there are always some people who look for the smallest excuse to be offended about something. But this seems like a pretty far stretch.

There is a well known movie called the China Syndrome. Should the Chinese have been offended?.

No it's not offensive. I think what's more offensive is you are just now finding this out. The incredibles was released in 2004! :rotfl2:

M not sure if this has been brought up before, but we were reading one of our kids' Incredibles books to them the other night and were surprised to see the villain's name was Syndrome... Does anyone else find this somewhat offensive, and surprised that Disney/Pixar would let that happen? I've seen the movie countless times, and I don't know how I missed it...

lol, you've missed out on an opportunity to be offended for ten years.

No, I don't find it offensive, and I have a syndrome, as do my my mother, brother, and FIL. I think you are being overly sensitive and looking for something to get riled up about.

First, are you offended yourself or for someone else? Do you have a syndrome? Do you know how many human conditions have the term "syndrome" in their name? I'm sure a very small portion of the population are offended by this, just as a small portion of the population are offended by practically anything? :confused3
Is this thread for real??? Methinks I smell a troll....

I'm not offended for myself or anyone in particular, it just seems really surprising to me that a company as special needs friendly as Disney would allow something that could be offensive to be in their movie.

The movie is ten years old, but for some reason we just noticed it.

If you are smelling a troll it's not me. I've been in these boards for almost 7 years and have a couple hundred posts. But I've learned my lesson... Don't talk about anything negative unless it is more timely!

I'm not offended for myself or anyone in particular, it just seems really surprising to me that a company as special needs friendly as Disney would allow something that could be offensive to be in their movie. The movie is ten years old, but for some reason we just noticed it. If you are smelling a troll it's not me. I've been in these boards for almost 7 years and have a couple hundred posts. But I've learned my lesson... Don't talk about anything negative unless it is more timely!

Sorry just checked my stats... I have several hundred posts...

You still didn't answer--why would it be offensive? What made you think that or ask that question? How would someone be offended by that?

I guess I just don't get it.....

The reason that I think it could be found offensive is that the villain is named Syndrome, and it could be construed that he is bad because of a syndrome...

If I had a child with a syndrome, and they were aware of it I would have a hard time explaining to them why the villain is named after some thing that effects them...

56128932.jpg

Hmmm, why not be offended by the fact that Frozone is portrayed as an urban African American, or that Elasticgirl is overly concerned by her oversized backside, or that Mirage is skinnier than skinny. And how come all the bad guys trying to kill the kids are white? How far do you really want to take this?

I don't think many kids would make that connection.

Well if their parents do...

I don't think I am out of line to bring up the fact that Syndrome could be found offensive.

I know that there are countless other things in this world that you can choose to be offended by... Some people on these boards Get offended by the fact that a Starbucks now sits on Main Street USA... I am not an easily offended person, and I'm not even really offended by the topic that I raised, but I think that it is possible that the choice to name the lead villain in this picture Syndrome might have been in poor taste.

Actually, OP, I think you have a point. I am surprised SOMBODY in this easily offended culture didn't cry this very thing. It is good that no one did, or no one that I heard about.

I think Disney got a pass because Syndrome himself gave himself this somewhat strange name. So it is his fault for picking a dumb and inappropriate name. He called himself Syndrome!? How dumb can he get? I think that is how people reacted.

Interesting question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter