The good the bad the ugly of OKW renovations (update pg 13)

We arrived at OKW last nite - have a 1BR in Building 14.

While I agree about the Roman Shades pulley system (takes FOREVER to raise or lower), we do like the flooring. I wish it was real hardwood, but the laminate will last forever and it really is consistent with early 20th century Key West (they did not have wall-to-wall carpeting - wood flooring was the norm). This will certainly cut down on the carpet replacement and cleaning. We have had delayed room availability a number of times due to the carpet still being wet from a cleaning.

They did take the exsiting coffee table, end table and dining table and re-paint. I actaully like the darker wood although some of the paint has already chipped on our ddining table and the original paint is showing thru. We love the sleeper chair - it's a LOT more comfy than the old arm chair and we like the new headboard (also consistent with Key West interiors). We are on the ground floor and sound has not been an issue at all.

The granite countertops are fine (but not consistent with early 20th Key West). We rally like the new valences over the windows. The thermostat has been moved from the hallway into the living room, but we now have the sensor model instead of the old easy-to-manage controller. The Mickey Life Guard Stand table lamp in the living room is cute.

All in all, some wins and some disappointment from our view but overall we like the changes.

Doc, I wanted to like the wood floors too. I actually was thinking of installing this vinyl plank version of laminate flooring in my basement kitchen, but after seeing how this looks at OKW, I'm not at all interested in using anything like it. I'm kind of wondering if maybe the fact that it looks dull and dirty is the reason I dislike it so much. It IS one step up from laminate though....Just wish it was wood like the old GVs used to have.

I actually like the paint job on the dining table and end table, and I like the bedroom 2 tone paint treatments too. I just don't like the head board or that ugly paint job on the coffee table. I still think it looks and feels like a cream and aqua allegator.

I wouldn't mind the sleeper chair either if it had different fabric. We like the cute lamp in the living room too, but NOT the ones in the bedroom.

I didn't mention the carpet in the bedroom, mostly because it seemed lilke a non-entity. Not thrilled with the orthoganal design, but the color is better than the old one.

I noticed a couple of references to sleeper chairs. Are these similar to the ones at AKV Kidani? Did someone say they are in the master bedroom? If so, could they be moved to the living area? I have wanted to try OKW, but with the four of us, the rooms at AKV with the sleeper chair work so well for a 1 bdrm. Any info on the OKW sleeper chairs would be appreciated.

I noticed a couple of references to sleeper chairs. Are these similar to the ones at AKV Kidani? Did someone say they are in the master bedroom? If so, could they be moved to the living area? I have wanted to try OKW, but with the four of us, the rooms at AKV with the sleeper chair work so well for a 1 bdrm. Any info on the OKW sleeper chairs would be appreciated.

The sleeper chair is in the living room, not the bedroom. And they are too heavy to move into the bedroom. They are similar to all the sleeper chairs.

FYI Diane-this is our deck this am-cripes, enjoy down there. :wizard:

WINTER12-4-10003.jpg

Peg, they seem to be working on Miller's Road buildings right now. The currently have the Miller's road bus stop closed and a temporary one set up outside building 18. I think HH is done.

I was told yesterday that they still need to renovate Buildings 17, 20, 23 - 29 and will likely stop work around the Holidays until after the New Year.

FYI Diane-this is our deck this am-cripes, enjoy down there. :wizard:

WINTER12-4-10003.jpg
Minnesotans are such a hardy bunch. I'm surprised you're not outside sitting on that lounge chair enjoying the fine weather. :lmao:

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? CaskPeg:princess:

Does the tile look old as in "dated" or lack of appropriate maintenance? Tiles should maintain the original appearance if they were appropriately fired and glazed in the kiln. DVC could have cleaned the tiles and regrouted to give that just installed appearance. The grout should have been sealed initially to resist issues with mold. The fixes are easy and can be accessed through BGH, the Old House Journal, or the archives of PBS's This Old House. I can't help but revisit the quote from Walt Disney, "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgement and showmanship, will win against all odds."

Minnesotans are such a hardy bunch. I'm surprised you're not outside sitting on that lounge chair enjoying the fine weather. :lmao:

Ha-actually my son is using it-you just cant see him. :lmao:

Does the tile look old as in "dated" or lack of appropriate maintenance? Tiles should maintain the original appearance if they were appropriately fired and glazed in the kiln. DVC could have cleaned the tiles and regrouted to give that just installed appearance. The grout should have been sealed initially to resist issues with mold. The fixes are easy and can be accessed through BGH, the Old House Journal, or the archives of PBS's This Old House. I can't help but revisit the quote from Walt Disney, "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgement and showmanship, will win against all odds."

Actually, the tile would be JUST FINE if it would have been cleaned, broken/cracked ones replaced, and everything re-grouted. I LOVE the tiles at OKW, and they would look just fine if they were maintained the way we do with ours at home. The tiles used are not cheap tiles, and they certainly should last more than 20 years. In fact, I would expect these tiles (if maintained properly) to go a good 50 years! The worst were the bottom tiles that were obviously replaced with non-matching ones, and then painted! Talk about looking tacky. I did try to take a picture, but it didn't turn out good enough to really get the idea across.

Jade, you obviously don't live in Lakeville! We turned on the weather channel Saturday morning and the lead story was about Lakeville (our home town). It seems we had over a foot of snow, and they were telling how everyone was dealing with it. I just hope my neighbor plowed the driveway so my dog sitters could get in! I have a video camera set up in the kennel, and I've been monitoring them from here, and they seem to be doing fine, so all must be fine at home.

Unfortunately, the cold here is killing me! I left my coat at home, and all I have here in my OL is my DVC wind breaker. It does stop the wind, but doesn't do much to keep me warm. I went to Target yesterday and bought thermal underwear to put under my clothes for the cold snap today and tomorrow. The weekend was glorious though!

Oops! It looks like I quoted the wrong thread. Sorry. I meant to quote Jade's but got Pat's quote instead.

Actually, the tile would be JUST FINE if it would have been cleaned, broken/cracked ones replaced, and everything re-grouted. I LOVE the tiles at OKW, and they would look just fine if they were maintained the way we do with ours at home. The tiles used are not cheap tiles, and they certainly should last more than 20 years. In fact, I would expect these tiles (if maintained properly) to go a good 50 years! The worst were the bottom tiles that were obviously replaced with non-matching ones, and then painted! Talk about looking tacky. I did try to take a picture, but it didn't turn out good enough to really get the idea across.

One would think that if the tiles were made on site they would have kept the formula for the glaze or, if contracted out they would have maintained a surplus of tiles or had the contractor keep a copy of the formula on hand -- like when we need to get paint matched for our house.

OKW in general is great! I love Disney & sometimes it seems like I can't get enough of it, but the reason I love OKW is that I can be in Disney & feel like I can get away from Disney.........does that make sense.

OKW is like it's own little retreat!

This is exactly how I try and discribe OKW to others. You know you are close to all the chaos but somehow you are in a world apart. I like the way you think.

dianeschlicht;39115717 *The new "updated" thermostat....There is nothing about this that makes it comfortable at all. You are either too hot or too cold...no happy medium said:
I haven't read any of the other posts so maybe this gets answered. But tell me about the thermostat. We were at Boardwalk in November and (along with several other issues) DH was vocal in his displeasure of the thermostat. Instead of having any numbers on it - it was just dots. You couldn't set it to a certain temperature you could only go warmer or colder. We never got it just right - we fought it the whole week. Please tell me they aren't "upgrading" all of the resorts to these. :sad2:

I haven't read any of the other posts so maybe this gets answered. But tell me about the thermostat. We were at Boardwalk in November and (along with several other issues) DH was vocal in his displeasure of the thermostat. Instead of having any numbers on it - it was just dots. You couldn't set it to a certain temperature you could only go warmer or colder. We never got it just right - we fought it the whole week. Please tell me they aren't "upgrading" all of the resorts to these. :sad2:

Looks to me like that is the plan.

So the ones at the refurbed OKW were just "dots" too?

Yes, and you have to turn it off and on and adjust the temp with the arrows. We found it works a bit better if you turn it off and then on right away to get the best results.

Yes, and you have to turn it off and on and adjust the temp with the arrows. We found it works a bit better if you turn it off and then on right away to get the best results.

The thermostat we had in 4621 was different. You could set it to a particular temperature, but there is no switch to change from air conditioning to heat. There's no thermometer so you couldn't tell what the actual temperature was in the room. While we were there last month, the days were warm enough to need air conditioning, but it got cold enough at night for the heat. It was a challenge trying to figure out how the heck to set that darn thing...either we froze or it got too hot & stuffy.

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of all these "enhancements" they're throwing at us!

The thermostat we had in 4621 was different. You could set it to a particular temperature, but there is no switch to change from air conditioning to heat. There's no thermometer so you couldn't tell what the actual temperature was in the room. While we were there last month, the days were warm enough to need air conditioning, but it got cold enough at night for the heat. It was a challenge trying to figure out how the heck to set that darn thing...either we froze or it got too hot & stuffy.

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of all these "enhancements" they're throwing at us!

It sounds like your thermostat was like ours. No way to specify air or heat....just the set temp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter