The good, bad, and ugly from the Fantasy 26 Dec - 2 Jan

MsSimone

Mouseketeer
We took our first ever cruise on the Magic 26 Dec 2019 and decided that since everything gets so crowded at the holidays, that a cruise was ironically one of the safer bets for a holiday trip. The vaccine/testing requirements gave my family a lot of confidence that this was an okay decision, so I liked the policies even though it added extra stress regarding whether the trip would happen.

The good:
* Palo brunch. It was our first time, and we found the food and service incredible. We tried both of the appetizer platters, shared 3 entrees between the 2 of us, and had some incredible desserts. It was really a tremendous experience and I thought well worth the upcharge.

* Service and upkeep on the ship continues to impress. Our stateroom attendant in particular was just a total machine. It seemed like every time we left the room we came back to find it cleaned and rearranged.

* The bigger ship does give you more room to spread out. The deck 12/13 area above the adult pools was a lovely area to just hang out, read a book, enjoy the sea breezes and a fruity cocktail.

* Watched Encanto in the movie theater. It was a pretty nice facility although they kept a lot of lights on during the film.

* Our excursion at Tortola was a lot of fun. The hike-and-beach. The hike was a lot more of a hike than I expected from DCL (We are Colorado people who take 10-15 mile hikes regularly). It wasn't a super tough hike but it wasn't a stroll along a paved path either. It was a muddy uphill trek through interesting scenery, a lot of fun. Then we got to dip our toes in the ocean, have some Caribbean beers, and lounge at a beautiful beach.

* Castaway Cay is one of the best possible places to spend a day. What a way to kick off the new year.

The mixed-to-bad:
* While some of the dining room meals were impressive, with a week long cruise the overwhelming richness and blandness of the dinner options got to be a bit much. If you want anything that is even slightly less boring, you need to look at the vegetarian options. I realize there are a lot of very plain eaters on DCL but we can't get a shrimp stir-fry? A chicken curry? Or *anything* that reflects the foods of the areas you're cruising through?!?
Don't get me wrong, there were some lovely meals too. But man it got dull as the week wore on.

* St Thomas got cancelled. That was unfortunate. We did get some onboard credit and a significant discount off a future cruise, which definitely did help. Oh man, 4 at-sea days is a LOT of at-sea days.

The ugly :
* Vibe was closed for several days, which was a major drawback for our teen, especially because there were not a lot of activities offered for such a big ship and many of them (like trivia) were inexplicably 18+ -- presumably to prevent crowding, which brings me to....

* Incredible inconsistency on COVID policies. It's okay to be crammed on a bus with strangers for 45 minutes, but the theatres are kept at 1/3 capacity? After you spent 30 minutes shoulder to shoulder with people in a line? Sometimes the bars were completely empty, other times they were absolutely packed, practically every chair taken. The dining rooms seemed pretty full, at least the areas where we were seated, tables were not spread out at all.

* The app is terrible. Worse than it was in 2019. Dining menus work. Otherwise? Not great.

* Vibration! There was a lot more movement on this cruise than our previous cruise. I didn't mind the rocking, but the vibration from the engines rattled our headboard. (deck 7, mid-ship). That was quite unpleasant.

Overall, I had a good time and we will cruise again. But not until maybe summer 2023 at the earliest. And probably back on a smaller ship.

Last edited:
We were on the same cruise. I agree with your overall sentiment--the new COVID policies can be frustrating at times, but it didn't stop us from having a wonderful vacation. We're glad we went.

A couple other thoughts based on your comments.
  • We did Remy for the first time, and it was amazing! I wish we had done Palo as well!
  • I didn't find the normal dinners boring...but I also tend to love all food. That said, you are right that there isn't a ton of variety in the 'side' dishes. I remember a lot of different versions of potatoes or risotto.
  • The app worked mostly okay for me, but heard it was buggy for others. Two times on the cruise I noticed that notifications weren't coming through on my device, but deleting my cache fixed it.
  • I didn't notice the vibration, but I was on deck 9 aft.
  • Biggest face palm on COVID policies was when they started asking you to pull up your mask for pictures after the St. Thomas issue. Which I was okay with...except they wanted me to do that at dinner. So you want me to pull up my mask around the people I've been unmasked around for the past hour. o_O

* St Thomas got cancelled. That was unfortunate. We did get some onboard credit and a significant discount off a future cruise, which definitely did help. Oh man, 4 at-sea days is a LOT of at-sea days.

By chance do you remember what restrictions there are on the future cruise discount? Do you have to use within a year, etc.

By chance do you remember what restrictions there are on the future cruise discount? Do you have to use within a year, etc.

It was good for 24 months. I believe it has the same blackout date restrictions as an OBC

I was also told by guest services (and I screen-captured the chat) that I could stack it with an onboard booking credit (DCL would apply the 10% from the OBC, and then apply the 20% discount to the remaining price).

Thanks for the info!

It was good for 24 months. I believe it has the same blackout date restrictions as an OBC

I was also told by guest services (and I screen-captured the chat) that I could stack it with an onboard booking credit (DCL would apply the 10% from the OBC, and then apply the 20% discount to the remaining price).

* Vibe was closed for several days, which was a major drawback for our teen, especially because there were not a lot of activities offered for such a big ship
What a bummer! Was anyone able to tell you why it was closed?

The vibration: we experienced this as well, though not really in our deck 7 forward stateroom (#7502, though there were plenty of loud banging/"dropping of bowling balls," according to my wife, sounds in the middle of the night from this room). When questioned about the vibration, even as the wine in our glasses was clearly shaking while dining in Animator's Palate, our server said, "what vibration?" So I guess not everyone notices it, and we can't recall the same experience on any of the other three Disney ships.

The app: we also experienced several problems with the app, from connectivity issues to multiple freezes and crashes. Guest services was extremely helpful with trying to resolve these.

The adult pool: we always enjoy this area and were surprised that even with only 25% passenger capacity, the lounge chairs filled up quickly and remained so throughout the day (again, perhaps because activities had been markedly curtailed).

The inconsistent COVID policies: this was our biggest disappointment as well. Some seemed more punitive more than purposeful. Aside from the collision of masks with photography, another head-scratching example would be allowing a crowd to develop outside The Tube while waiting for the doors to pen for an event, the line backing up into the very narrow restroom corridor, instead of just letting people into the very large venue that clearly would allow for greater separation. Just nonsensical and frustrating...

Palo: if you liked brunch, you will love dinner...and although a completely different experience, Remy should be on your 'must do' list as well.

Thank you for sharing!

I see. I'm glad you were given an explanation, at least. I hope your son was able to use the club at least once on the cruise. I asked because I thought the clubs for tweens and teens look quite decent...I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, but at one time I was hoping to bring my goddaughter and a couple of her friends and my younger cousin (17).

I see. I'm glad you were given an explanation, at least. I hope your son was able to use the club at least once on the cruise. I asked because I thought the clubs for tweens and teens look quite decent...I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, but at one time I was hoping to bring my goddaughter and a couple of her friends and my younger cousin (17).

The clubs are really great, and part of the reason we like the cruises is that they give teens some autonomy. Our daughter is used to running around town on her own at home. If we took a trip to say, Chicago or Paris, we probably wouldn't feel too comfy about letting her just take off and do her own thing. But on the ship? As long as you meet up with us for dinners/shows, go do you!

This is a lot easier when there's a good place to meet other teens and a venue with activities aimed at them. Happily, she was able to meet kids before Vibe shut down so they made their own fun while the club was closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter