The future is cabins (or bungalows) . . . get used to it.

The way it works, simplified:

There are 10 units. Disney "books" 2 with the points they own, and places them for cash bookings. The other 8 are booked by DVC members using points they own.

On check-in day, the toilet in 1 unit explodes. KA BLOOIE.

One of the 10 booked guests gets bumped.

This is absolutely legal per the contracts with both the DVC owners and the cash guests. Which guest gets bumped? Probably the last one to check in.

Everyone in a DVC unit is booked on points, somehow. But some of them are, fundamentally, "renting points" from Disney and book the unit through the cash system. Disney has deposited their points booking into the cash system, kind of like a confirmed reservation on a DVC rental site.

I think you're probably right about who gets bumped. Right up to the point where you included Disney's room. I don't think that one was ever included in the bump pool. Sounds noble. I'm sure that would be their story. I doubt it's the whole truth.

I think you're probably right about who gets bumped. Right up to the point where you included Disney's room. I don't think that one was ever included in the bump pool. Sounds noble. I'm sure that would be their story. I doubt it's the whole truth.

If it's happening at the desk or the assignors, it may be "whoever has the shortest booked stay."

I suspect the choice is made for the convenience of the assignor more than anything else.

Disney is also renting out DVC villas that ARE reserved and putting the reserved guests into a hotel room. They can get up to $700 a night for a dvc villa as opposed to $70 a night from a DVC member. It happened to us. We were booked out 11 months in advance, we got there and they tried to put us in a hotel room. We refused the hotel room, left, lost our whole vacation, and returned home. This was in October during the October 50th celebration where they were booked solid. Why wouldn't they do this, they can make more money. The DVC members have already paid their $ for the contract. Now disney has the right to bump members anywhere they want and rent the villas to make more money. It is a breach of contract and illegal, but hey - it's Disney they can do what they want!

They can not overbook DVC. If you had to be moved it was because one of the rooms In That category had to be taken out of service and you had to be moved elsewhere.

We all should know and understand this is a possibility because many times DVC is booked solid.

Sorry it ruined your trip but if maintenance needs to occur it needs to occur.

They can not overbook DVC. If you had to be moved it was because one of the rooms In That category had to be taken out of service and you had to be moved elsewhere.

We all should know and understand this is a possibility because many times DVC is booked solid.

DVC definitely has had cases where they've overbooked. Most often that's been an IT glitch but of course that is their responsibility. Or it's been a case where they've decided to refurbish. The offer typically becomes a move to another DVC resort if it's available or if not then to one of the hotel rooms or else cancel. You could even potentially arrive to no room per what I've read in the POS.

DVC definitely has had cases where they've overbooked. Most often that's been an IT glitch but of course that is their responsibility. Or it's been a case where they've decided to refurbish. The offer typically becomes a move to another DVC resort if it's available or if not then to one of the hotel rooms or else cancel. You could even potentially arrive to no room per what I've read in the POS.

Definitely things have happened but as a rule, they don’t regularly or on purpose overbook rooms.

Things can and do happen of course and on those cases I think they do their best to move you within a resort, like with AKl vs somewhere else if they can.

Definitely things have happened but as a rule, they don’t regularly or on purpose overbook rooms.

Things can and do happen of course and on those cases I think they do their best to move you within a resort, like with AKl vs somewhere else if they can.

Eventually ineptness becomes purposeful as they continue to not correct. VGC has now had this happen twice in the last year.

If it's happening at the desk or the assignors, it may be "whoever has the shortest booked stay."

I suspect the choice is made for the convenience of the assignor more than anything else.

This is what happened to us in December. Split stay, moving from BWV GV to Poly Bungalow for last 2 nights of our week. Got a call at 3 PM (right before check-in time, when we were at DHS) saying that our Bungalow had electrical issues and they had to move our party of 7 to GF (not villas, club level suites in Sugarloaf).

We were bummed for sure, but we didn't have many other options-- all the other DVC room equivalents at the Bay Lake resorts were all booked. Hopefully we'll make it back there someday and get to stay.

This is what happened to us in December. Split stay, moving from BWV GV to Poly Bungalow for last 2 nights of our week. Got a call at 3 PM (right before check-in time, when we were at DHS) saying that our Bungalow had electrical issues and they had to move our party of 7 to GF (not villas, club level suites in Sugarloaf).

We were bummed for sure, but we didn't have many other options-- all the other DVC room equivalents at the Bay Lake resorts were all booked. Hopefully we'll make it back there someday and get to stay.

Wait, you mean you didn't "refuse the hotel room, leave, lose your whole vacation, and return home"?

Amazing... :rolleyes:

i loved both.
Poly bungalow for 4 nights, 4 guests
CC Cabin for 2 nights, 3 guests
DVC is fun!

On the other hand, I haven't booked an actual studio in years, except when I wanted to stay at the Polynesian. I book one bedrooms even just for myself. But I rarely travel solo anymore, someone always wants to go along, so even if I book a one bedroom just for me, someone usually goes along.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter