The Freeman Disney Christmas - Pre Trip Report

MsPennieLane

<font color=660099>Self-confessed Disney addict<br
Dates: December 16th – 30th

Adventurers:
Annabel – Me, the narrator – Age 31 and still not grown up. Total Disneyaholic and music buff. Nervous flyer and chief planner.

Andy aka Hubby – Age 34 and still not grown up. Loves WDW and Florida, converted by yours truly. Chief Coors Light drinker, loves coasters.

Resort/Hotel: Pop Century/Portofino Bay/Contemporary Tower Concierge

Background:

Our story begins way back in February of this year. Hubby and I spent 2 weeks at the end of January at WDW and had a wonderful time, although with the flight delays coming back I managed to get myself into a state and swore that I’d never ever fly again (I’ve since been to Universal Mediterreanea in Spain for 2 days and flown twice more to Orlando – but we won’t mention that :cool: ) After a few weeks of being back, the post-holiday blues set in and I started feeling homesick :sad: I logged on to one of the other Disney boards I frequent and was reading the new postings, when one caught my eye. A fellow Disney lover had looked into going at Christmas and had managed to get a reasonable deal. Hmm, Christmas at Disney – wow, how cool would that be! I mulled it over through the day and pounced on hubby when he got home from work. He loved the idea so I set to work :jumping4:

I managed to get reasonable flights with Virgin Atlantic. I also priced up 2 weeks at Pop Century through Virgin Holidays but the price was extortionate. I went through the Disney UK Travel company and found rooms available at Pop, so I priced it up. At the time, I didn’t have an Annual Pass and knew nothing about the rates you can sometimes get. I showed hubby the prices and he was easily convinced.

I was all ready to book when I got that sinking feeling in my stomach. The dogs – somebody would have to take care of them. Hmm. Deefer’s ok but Woody, well to put it lightly she’s a pickle of a puppy! At this point in time, she was Destructo Dog and loved to chew everything she could get her paws on! And during our fortnight away in January, she had managed to annoy my mother-in-law whom they’d stayed with by chewing god knows what :sad1: I was convinced that she’d say no to having the dogs again, hubby was convinced she’d agree. So who won? I did – she flatly refused. I was disappointed and I wasn’t prepared to put the dogs into kennels. Dee is 11 years old now and I don’t know how she would react to it.

We left it for a few days. Hubby ended up talking to his mum again and she asked if we were going ahead with our plans, to which hubby said yes we’d be putting the dogs into kennels. His mum went on and on about how it wouldn’t be fair on Dee as she’s old etc etc, and eventually…yes you’ve guessed it, she caved! Woohoo :jumping3: I did say to her next time I saw her that by the time our Christmas trip comes, Woody will be almost 1 and a half years old so she won’t be as bad. Touch wood, she’s nowhere near as bad as she used to be – so long as you don’t leave stuff lying around her, otherwise the temptation can sometimes be toooo great for her! As it happens, the in-laws looked after the dogs during our September trip and Woody was as good as gold – phew! So back to the PC I went and set about making some plans.

In the end, we booked flights with Virgin Atlantic and booked a room at Pop Century. I booked everything online, including the car hire with Yes Car Hire (they use Alamo), and I had to pay upfront for the flight and car, and pay a deposit on the room. I’d been offered a good deal on upgrading to Premium Economy with Virgin but had hesitated and decided against it. Two days later, I regretted my decision and got hubby to ring up. We upgraded to Premium Economy no problem so will be traveling in style.

Fast forward to May. I was reading everything bit of Disney information that I could get my hands on and I started reading about Christmas at the World. I loved the idea of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party and decided we had to go. A few days later, people started posting that the Christmas Party tickets were on sale and that you could also book your PS’s for dinner on those nights. All excited, I got on the phone and spoke to a lovely CM at Disney. I love speaking to them, it always makes my day! Anyhoo, I buy 2 tickets to the Christmas Party on the 17th, the last night, as we won’t be arriving until the evening of the 16th. I also booked a table at the Liberty Tree Tavern for 6pm. At first the CM told me I couldn’t book it so far out but I insisted that you could so she went to find out, apologising when she came back as I’d been correct. A week later, a lovely DHL man with a Disney envelope knocked at my door and I wanted to jump up and down like a little child, but I didn’t in case I scared him. I was so excited to have the tickets in my hand. Looking at the tickets which are still attached to the original letter, I ordered them on the 7th May!

So the months pass and I get to take a solo trip to the World, and then we went in September – talk about greedy! Ah well, it’s not like it’s going to happen every year! Anyway, I digress! In the meantime, I discover that I can ring and book the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package so I get hubby to ring and we get a PS for 6pm on Christmas Eve at the Rose and Crown, followed by the Candlelight Processional at 8.15 woohoo. Our trip was starting to shape up nicely.

During our September trip, our 90 day PS window opens and at the same time, Hurricane Jeanne hits. 2 days later than planned, I nag hubby into ringing to try and book some PS’s for Christmas Day. We managed to get a PS for breakfast at the Crystal Palace at 10.05am and are incredibly lucky to get the last table for 2 at Cinderella’s Royal Table for dinner at 4pm. Phew!

A few weeks back, I was feeling a little disappointed at how our last trip ended – for those of you that don’t know Andy’s grandmother died and we ended up flying home 4 days early :( We were supposed to be spending our last 2 nights at the Contemporary at 14th floor concierge and I was gutted to have missed out. Hubby has said that one day we’ll get to do it, and it would possibly be during our 2006 trip with my mum and her (soon-to-be) husband. 2006??? That’s too long to wait really. So I started formulating a plan :rolleyes1

coming up in part 2: our itinerary, our plans etc!

Anz :earboy2:

Thanks for that Anz

It sounds so wonderful I am actually feeling excited! I look forward to your next report so that I can continue enjoying Disney By-proxy

Jo

Part 2: plans, itineraries and secrets :teleport:

So I started formulating a plan….I obtained a quote for one night at the Contemporary concierge and one night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in a deluxe savannah view room, also at concierge. The Contemporary won out. I decided what the heck and paid for the room with hubby’s knowledge. Hubby hasn’t asked for the bills so my secret is still safe. I plan to tell hubby this coming Saturday – we are having my mum, her fiancé and my brother over for an early Christmas dinner, complete with turkey, tree and present opening. I’ve made up an A4 sheet with a photo I took of the monorail traveling through the Contemporary, inviting hubby to stay there with me. I wonder how he’ll react! Oh well, I shall inform you of his reaction late Saturday night probably :cool1:

Once we were home from our September trip, hubby informed me that he doesn’t want to do as many PS’s on our next trip as he feels we did too many. I have only made 4 PS’s, although there is a 5th where we'll be meeting with Miffy and Allie5 at the Rose & Crown :) Our PS’s are as follows:

17th – Liberty Tree Tavern for MVMCP
19th – lunch at the Rose & Crown with members of the DIS UK board
24th – dinner at the Rose & Crown before Candlelight Processional
25th – breakfast at Crystal Palace and dinner at Cinderella’s Royal Table

In between these dates, you will be able to find us mostly at Chilis on the 192 or International Drive :earboy2:

Our itinerary so far looks like this:

Tuesday 14th – head to Wales to drop off the dogs with the in-laws. Stay overnight.

Weds 15th – leave Wales, heading straight to Gatwick Airport for twilight check-in and drop off our cases. Then head over to my Mum’s for dinner.

Thursday 16th – head to Gatwick about 10am for our flight at 12.30. We should arrive at MCO about 5pm US time, then straight to Pop Century to check-in followed by dinner at Chilis.

Friday 17th – our first morning ritual of early breakfast at Denny’s on the 192, followed by a shopping spree at Wal-Mart. Back to Pop to chill before heading to Magic Kingdom. I want to see the Share a Dream Come True parade as I’ve never seen it and from the 18th, the Christmas Parade will be running instead. We have a brief meet up with some friends from the UK Dish board, followed by our PS at the Liberty Tree Tavern and MVMCP. We’ll also be meeting fellow Passporters for the fireworks.

Sat 18th – possibly EMH at MGM Studios with either Fantasmic or Illuminations in the evening.

Sunday 19th – Epcot! Lunch PS at the Rose & Crown with Miffy and Allie5 :wave:

Monday 20th – Keys to the Kingdom Tour, postponed from September. 9.30am start. Possible back to MK for Spectromagic and Wishes in the evening.

Tuesday 21st – head to Universal and check-in at the Portofino Bay Hotel with our Entertainment Card rate. Play at Islands of Adventure all day and have about a gazillion goes on Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges, my fave ride in the whole world. Dinner at Chilis.

Weds 22nd – Universal Studios and IOA all day. Possibly attend the Passporter meet at Wolfgang Puck’s in the evening and then onto Pleasure Island?

Thursday 23rd – no firm plans

Friday 24th – resort hopping in the morning, following by Epcot in the evening for our PS at the Rose & Crown and the Candlelight Processional.

Sat 25th – Merry Christmas Everybody!!! Magic Kingdom all day. PS’s at the Crystal Palace and Cinderella’s Royal Table.

Sunday 26th – either a lazy day or some time at IOA.

Monday 27th – Animal Kingdom

Tuesday 28th – no plans as yet

Weds 29th – check-in at the Contemporary, look around the resort then off to do some last minute shopping.

Thursday 30th – check out, go to Chef Mickey’s for breakfast then head to Downtown Disney to do Virgin’s Twilight check-in. Visit a park or two before heading to MCO for our 6pm flight.

Friday 31st – arrive at Gatwick early morning, go home to sleep for a few hours before getting up and heading to Wales to spend New Year’s Eve with the in-laws and bring home the dogs on New Year’s Day.

So, 7 days before our trip begins. I am taking my laptop with and intend to not only back up my photos each night but am hoping to do some live on-the-spot reporting. Tune in early January for the full trip report: The Freeman Disney Christmas!

Oh Anz I'm really looking forward to the 'on-the-spot' reports - with pictures!!!

As always Anz, your pre-trip reports are a real treat!!!

Have a great time!!!

I've been waiting to read this! i knew your clock was getting low and am glad you chose the Contempary. From what you've posted about Andy, he sounds lovely and can't imagine him getting miffed at all about Disney-related things so have a great time. I'm sure your trip will be a complete success this time and HAPPY XMAS!
I'm going to have to wait longer to read your report this time as I go 1/1 but will lokk forward to it on my return. Much pixie dust,
Claire

Absolutely love your trip reports and can't wait to see and hear more. It is almost like being there.
Have a great time!

Anz,
Your enthusiastic reports are always so much fun to read. Thanks to the detail you've included in your pre-trip report, we'll be able to imagine day by day what you'll be getting up to--at least some of the things! You'll fill us in later on all the rest. Please, hug my friend Karen (Miffy) for me when you meet. I hope this is the best WDW trip yet for you and Andy.
Bon Voyage, Susan

Hi all :wave: Well, i am very glad to report that Hubby was thrilled with his extra pressie of a night at the Contemporary, tower concierge - phew! He looked a little puzzled when I gave him the envelope but as soon as he saw the monorail photo, he twigged and a big beaming smile appeared and he asked when :) He can now read the pre-trip report - he had nooooo idea I'd done them ;)

So here we are, only a few days away now - it's so exciting!! We had a lovely early Christmas dinner with my mum, her fiance and my brother last night - and I have to say my mum and her guy Jez made me the most beautiful Christmas present. I cried like a baby and hubby took a photo :flower: I shall post up photos of the present once I transfer the photos from the digital camera.

I Love reading your trip reports and am really looking forward to these ones as we are thinking of going at Christmas next year and can't wait to see how you get on. :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter