The Florida Project

okeydokey

Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child.
I went to see this movie today. It was a fascinating look at the other side of Orlando, focusing on a mother and girl living in a cheap weekly rental hotel on Hwy 192. It was no Disney World but the influence of the theme park played heavily in the movie. I think of all the people who move to the "Magic" and wonder if any end up in places like that.

I went to see this movie today. It was a fascinating look at the other side of Orlando, focusing on a mother and girl living in a cheap weekly rental hotel on Hwy 192. It was no Disney World but the influence of the theme park played heavily in the movie. I think of all the people who move to the "Magic" and wonder if any end up in places like that.

It’s no secret that Orlando has a average low income. Lots of kids that live near wdw probably never get to go. Yes it’s a shame.

I was thinking of going to see this. So you recommend?

PS I read the title comes from what Walt Disney used to call his FL purchase and plans.

history-of-the-magic-kingdom-florida-project.jpg

Love, love, LOVED this movie! It's pretty grim (though there are lighter moments and some happy aspects) but it's really well made and it's given me a lot to think about. And the young actress is amazingly talented--she continually bowled me over with her natural ability!

I had another thread on this, and finally got to see it. Really great and William Dafoe was perfect

The plot was slow, I see it as more of a snapshot in the life of the characters. If you are looking for a traditional story arc you won't get it here, but it was a realistic look at what life is like for people not making it. Willem Defoe was terrific, as was the young actor. The woman who played the mother did a great job, but the character was awful. It is one of those movies that really make you think.

I think it was too grim and realistic for me to truly enjoy the entire movie, but I do believe it is an important film. I thought Willem Defoe was incredible, as was the actress who played Moonie. I wasn't as keen on the mother as an actress but it worked for that role (for the most part).

The rental market in metro Orlando has become so inflated vs. the average wage tha it's impossible for some families to survive. A decent 3-bedroom apartment in a good area starts at around $1500/month. It's no wonder too many people end up in places like these.

I think it was too grim and realistic for me to truly enjoy the entire movie, but I do believe it is an important film. I thought Willem Defoe was incredible, as was the actress who played Moonie. I wasn't as keen on the mother as an actress but it worked for that role (for the most part).

The rental market in metro Orlando has become so inflated vs. the average wage tha it's impossible for some families to survive. A decent 3-bedroom apartment in a good area starts at around $1500/month. It's no wonder too many people end up in places like these.
And there are still completely abandoned condo complexes according to the movie. I would think with a glut of housing, the prices would be fair.

And there are still completely abandoned condo complexes according to the movie. I would think with a glut of housing, the prices would be fair.

I guess considering that so many are working in the service industry would prevent them from renting anything decent.

From the looks of the movie stills I've seen, those dilapidated condos appear to be the ones across from Target on 192. They have been tearing those done to redevelop the parcel. Our son's first apartment complex when he started at WDW was in Kissimmee off of 192. He really wants to see this film as he told me that for one year he basically "drove through" this movie's featured population and backdrop every day.

Here's a good write up of the movie with a lot of stills included: http://www.mlive.com/movies/index.s...ject_review_aut.html#incart_river_mobile_home

Last edited:
It’s no secret that Orlando has a average low income. Lots of kids that live near wdw probably never get to go. Yes it’s a shame.

I've thought about that too. I'd love to start a program when I retire to take those kids to Disney for a day, maybe some sort of school recognition or something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter