The End of the World? Who Cares? We are at the House of Mouse!

Chapter Three: I See Gators!!!

Today we planned to sleep in a bit and head out to Gatorland for the morning and then head to Epcot for the later afternoon and into the evening EMH. But you know what they say about best laid plans.

It was just 7 a.m. when I was woken by nature’s alarm clock … gobbling turkeys! There was a pair of male turkeys hanging around the lawn below my balcony. And they were intent on getting the attention of this little female that was wandering near the bushes close to the building.

smallIMGP2135.jpg

I went out on the patio to watch them for a bit while Leo snored away. Well, one of us could catch some extra z’s anyway.

I figured I could relax for a bit and enjoy some quiet (gobbling not withstanding) and read a bit on my Kindle. I LOVE my Kindle. Anyway, I turned it on and … nothing! Oh crappola. I guess I forgot to turn it off completely the last time I used it and the battery was completely dead. And, of course, I didn’t pack its recharging cord. This thing usually holds a charge for weeks on end and I fully charged it before I left.

So much for curling up with a good book. I spent about an hour watching the golfers and listening to the gobbling turkeys and the race cars in the distance before deciding to get ready. The park opens at 10 a.m., so we planned to leave by 9:30.

Side item: Oh yah, I forgot that yesterday I found our “search” item for this year’s trip. Last year it was a specific baseball cap that Leo wanted. We never did find it. This year I found the special 40th anniversary edition plush Mickey but was not able to find the matching Minnie.

Ok, back to the day.

smallIMGP1561.jpg

With the help of our friend Gypsy (that’s what I call our GPS … get it?), we made it to Gatorland in no time at all. We decided to visit Gatorland this year since we have heard so many good things about this little park. We were not disappointed. I had more fun here than we did last year at Busch Gardens.

Of course, the price made a huge difference too. Especially when my ticket was free. Can’t beat free.

Now, it is a pretty small park, but is very well kept and clean. It is a perfect half-day outing for something different. And they are building a zip line around the park too. That will be fun when it’s done. Can you imagine zip lining across ponds filled with giant gators?

smallIMGP1605.jpg

We spent the morning and into the afternoon wandering around the park and enjoying the sights. And the gator wrestler … who doesn’t really wrestle the gators … was fun. I didn’t think I would like it because I don’t usually like it when people use animals for shows, but I found it to be kinda interesting.

They had a path through the bogs that was fun too … even if it was stifling humid. And a small train ride around the park. Of course, you have to pay extra for the train, but we didn’t feel bad forking over the $5 per person. Since the park is so well maintained, we felt the money was used right and not just lining the owner’s pockets.

smallIMGP1608.jpg

At about 2 p.m., we headed out. We wandered around the gift shop for a little while and I was seriously contemplating buying some of the gator jerky they had for sale. I have never tried gator meat before. But the price changed my mind in a hurry. I don’t remember the price, but I do remember thinking I was not going to pay that much for a small piece of jerky.

Leo was looking at some of the souvies they had with gator feet. I was really hoping he would not buy one. Eeww. Thank goodness he didn’t buy any.

Back in the car, we turned Gypsy on for the trip back to the World. Since it took less than 30 minutes to get here and pretty much a straight shot, we figured we would be back ‘home’ by about 3 p.m. So we decided to stop for lunch on our way. We found a little Chinese place in a strip mall just outside the park. The food was pretty good and the portions were generous.

Back on the road, Gypsy put us on the highway … just to take us back off that highway in just one exit. Strange, but we followed her directions. And she led us right back to the same highway ramp we took in the first place! In the words of my grandson … what the???

In the mean time, I was trying to put a shoulder strap on my tripod and wasn’t paying attention to the road, so I had no clue where the heck we were. I was too ticked off trying to get this darned strap fixed.

Now, Leo is a typical man and he was in the driver’s seat. So, we just kept driving every which way trying to find our way back. I kept telling him to stop for directions, but by the time he did, we were hopelessly lost. And, of course, when we did stop for directions, I was the one who had to go in and ask.

“Oh, just go up two lights and take a right. It’ll take you right back to Disney,” the lady behind the counter said. What she didn’t say is that that route would take 45 minutes!

Now, Leo was getting annoyed and ticked off at getting lost and I was freaking out over this stupid strap that I just could not get right. Needless to say, we were not pleasant company. At one point, we just had to look at each other and start laughing. If not, he would have rolled the window down and thrown Gypsy out and I would have rolled my window down and thrown that stupid strap out. Either that, or we would have thrown each other out.

smallIMGP1337.jpg

We finally made it back to Shades at about 4:30, an hour and a half later than we had planned. So much for the afternoon nap. But we did take about an hour of down time before heading out to Epcot.

As I sat on the patio chilling out, I noticed my neon legs. I have been in the Florida sun for two full days now … without sunscreen … and nothing. Not one bit of color. I am still as pasty as I was when we left Maryland. Sheesh. I mean, I have some color everywhere else, but not my legs. I could use them to light our way in the dark.

It was about 6 p.m. when we finally made it to Epcot. And we headed straight for Soarin’. Now, we knew it would probably be a long wait and no more fast passes available at this time, but we wanted to try.

We were right. The standby was about 90 minutes and all the day’s fast passes were gone. Oh well, we will just keep trying.

Might as well hop on Living with the Land and then scoot over to Capt. EO.

Even though Capt. EO was very, very boring, it was nice to see Michael Jackson at his best again. It was filmed when he was still cute. But I won’t be doing Capt. EO again. They really need to come up with something new and unique for this theater.

smallIMGP1658.jpg

As we were leaving Capt. EO, it started to rain and we ran over to the Figment building. By the time we made it that short run, it was coming down in buckets. We spent some time wandering around the hands-on section, but the rain was not letting up. There was a short cut through the building over to the actual Figment ride, so we hopped on.

By the time we finished the Figment ride, the rain had let up some, but it was still coming down. Not wanting to waste anymore time here, we pulled out the ponchos, suited up and headed out. It was actually quite refreshing.

We tried Soarin’ again. Nope, the wait was even worse. I guess everyone came here to get out of the rain. So, we went over to Nemo and there was no line there.

By the time we were back out to the hub, the rain had stopped and the park was less crowded.

My next “potty predicament” happened here. Sorry if this is too graphic for some, but it is pretty funny. As I was being “seated,” one of the straps from my backpack brushed my backside. I thought it was one of those giant Florida bugs and I nearly jumped over the door with an “Oh, sh#t!” As I realized what had happened, I started laughing hysterically.

After waiting for a bit to make sure anyone who heard me was gone, I walked out, washed my hands and left … all the while snickering and wiping the tears away. When I explained what happened to Leo, he laughed, but didn’t seem to find it as hysterical as I did. Guess you had to be there.

smallIMGP3042.jpg

We headed over to Test Track and the line wasn’t too long, so we headed in to ride. I just love this ride. It is just fast enough to be fun but not so fast Leo can’t ride it and have fun too. He is still a bit iffy on the last part around the race track, but he still loves the ride.

After checking the score board on the line times for Soarin’, we discovered the wait time was down to 30 minutes. Of course, this was after the rains and normal operating hours and into EMH, so the crowds were down.

Woo-ho!! We headed on over and got in line. It wasn’t even 30 minutes before we were in our seats and ready to take off. Another ride we love!

smallIMGP1780.jpg

When we got off this ride, it was nearly time for the Illuminations show. Leo wanted to see it, I did not. If I see it once per trip, I am happy. Not one of my fave shows. While he headed off to go watch the show, I wandered around trying to get some good night shots.

smallIMGP1773.jpg

I first went on Living with the Land again. I have never done this ride at night and it was different at night. Then I headed out to get some good night shots of Spaceship Earth. I got some decent shots from various spots in the park, but couldn’t get any head-on from inside the park. They had the Cars logo displayed across the face of the ball, so that shot was ruined. Boooo…

At least I ended up with a couple decent night shots from elsewhere in the park and on our way out.

Anyway, once Leo and I caught up to each other again, we decided it was time to call it a night. Tomorrow is early EMH at the Studios.

Various shots from throughout the day:

smallIMGP3058.jpg

smallIMGP1771.jpg

smallIMGP3044.jpg

smallIMGP3050.jpg

smallIMGP1704.jpg

smallIMGP1697.jpg

smallIMGP1838.jpg

smallIMGP1832.jpg

smallIMGP1820.jpg

smallIMGP1770.jpg

smallIMGP1689.jpg

smallIMGP1679.jpg

smallIMGP1675.jpg

smallIMGP1584.jpg

smallIMGP1572.jpg

smallIMGP1563.jpg

Great update! I am lovin' all your night time photography - you ended up with some fantastic shots! :)

D~

In all of our trips to the Orlando area, we have never gone to Gatorland. I've heard a lot of good things about it and, after seeing your pictures, we may have to go there one day.

Oh my gosh! Your bathroom story had me laughing which is just what I needed this morning.

The pictures are fantastic! I love 'em all.

Where in the World?

aIMGP1886.jpg

Correctly ... and quickly ... guessed by buzzmom: the scoreboard at Toy Story Midway Mania.

I know this one, Toy Story Midway Mania! I can't really take credit for the other one, my DH saw me staring at the picture, racking my Disney loving mind. He looked over and said, "well, I don't know where it is but it's a drum".

Where in the World?
This is my DGD, but where is she?

aIMGP3795.jpg

Correctly guessed by rcsilverspring: In the Swiss Family Tree House at Magic Kingdom.

I am hoping to get chapter four up this weekend. In the mean time, below is the next Where in the World?

:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter