the dreaded airplane ride w/ a baby...

Trinity721

<font color=navy>Proud Navy wife<br><font color=de
DH and I will be taking our by then 9.5 month old daughter on a trip to WDW in May. DH will not be on the airplane with DD and me, he is stationed in Florida.

My question is, how should I go about taking her on the plane? I have taken her on a plane before, but that was when she was 6 weeks old and she just slept most of the time. Right now she is so curious (she is almost 9 months) and wants to see everything. I'm worried she'll get fussy and restless, even though the trip is 2.5 hours from Chicago.

How do ya'll do it? Where should we sit on the plane? Any tips??? It would be so helpful, and ease my fears... not fears of flying, but flying with a baby!!! hehe

When we went last Sept my baby was 5 months. I also had a 2 yr old. We sat in the bulk head seats since the 2 rows face each other. There were 7 of us al together but even if its just you and dd bulk head seats give you a little room that she could stand on the floor if she wanted to. Take some juice and snacks and maybe buy a small toy or 2 and give it to here on the plane. That way it will be something new. You could also catch a really early early am flight or late pm flight so she might sleep some on the plane.

I have flown with my dd a few times, the most daunting being a trip with just the 2 of us from the UK to New York when she was 11 months old. I was really nervous, but it really wasn't that bad - there is so much going on that is new and different that my dd was quite happy to just watch everything that was going on and she seemed to find it all quite interesting and absorbing.
The bulk head seat is a good idea, and on a longer trip you can request a skycot, which is a small bassinet, but I don't think you will get one on a 2 1/2 hour flight.

One thing which I didn't do and really regretted was take a sling of any kind - the absolute hardest part of the entire trip was the journey from the gate (where I handed over my stroller), to my seat on the plane, I was trying to carry my dd and my carryon luggage (which for an 8hr flight was quite extensive) and it was really difficult - so make sure you can carry everything once you hand over your stroller. A sling would have just made that part of my trip much less stressful.

bev

We have flown with our ds twice. Once when he was 6 months old and again when he was 8 months old. Both times, he had very little interest in sleeping. He was so curious about everything going on around him. He is very good natured boy to begin with, so that made it easier. Both times, it was both my dw and I. That made a big difference. I realize that you will be yourself. Like another poster said, a sling, a Snugli (Target sells them for like $30), or a Baby Bjorn is a must. For the second flight, we bought a new toy (Buzz from LaMaze, he is a bee activity toy). Buzz has a rattle, a squeky toy, and teething rings all in one. He is very colorful (and he looks a lot like Hopper from a Bugs Life). EJ (My ds) still plays with him today, and he will 13 months old at the end of the week.

Just a little FYI...

For my upcoming trip in May, I have bumped our sits to First Class so that we have more room with EJ. I know that this may irritate some of the other First Class passengers, but I think that EJ can handle it.

Good Luck,

Edward

My DD is now 9, but has traveled with me on planes alone since she was 6 weeks old. Before she was 1, she had been up & down the east coast 4 or 5 times, and to London. I fly all the time for my job, and I take her with me when schedules permit. She probably flies 10-15 times per year, and loves it.

Here is my tried-and-true advice, and I hope it works for you.

First of all, if you did not buy her a seat, please reconsider. Babies do much better in their car seats than on laps, and there are many important safety reasons why she should be strapped in. If you cannot swing it, and you are not on SW, then you still may be able to use your seat if there is no one in the seat next to you. When you check in for your flight, ask the agent if there is anyone in the row with you, and if not, ask if they can "soft block" that empty seat. Do not give up your car seat to check. When you get to the gate, go thru the same routine. If they tell you that they can't help you, pre-board if you wish. You will leave your stroller and car seat at the end of the ramp to the plane, and you will pick them up there at your destination. (BTW - I did not take pre-boarding bc I was always worried that if we got delayed, I would have just prolonged the trip. I used to board toward the end, but I was able to do that bc I did not need to use overhead space. ) If they tell you that you'll have an empty seat, then you got lucky and will be able to put your baby in her car seat.

With a 9 month old, I would not take the bulkhead because there is no place to store your stuff (no seat in front of you) so everything must be stowed in an overhead bin. Once they close those plane doors, you cannot get your bag until the pilot turns off the seatbelt sign. If there is turbulence, then you could be stuck for awhile. (ps: There are very few, if any, US airlines that offer the baby cot. We got one on British Airways, but have never seen one since.)

I agree with BevS97, that getting to your seat can be a pain, esp. if you have the car seat, so my advice is to pack as lightly as possible. I was not a Snugli or baby backpack fan, they hurt my shoulders & back (I am very short, too, so they were very awkward for me.) I did, however, master the "Poor Pitiful Me" look, and depended on the kindness of strangers. ;)

Make sure you bring something for her to suck on during take off & landing. I nursed my DD and could not have cared less if my neighbor was uncomfortable with it! But you could use a pacifier or bottle as long as you have something....

I promise that the time will pass quickly, and if she is fussy, keep in mind that you'll never see any of those people again!

Last, FriendsOfEeyore , DD & I fly 1st a lot bc of my travels, I get bumped up. Since your DS will be well-behaved, no one will care... And if you get any attitude, see above. :)

Allison

When we had bulk head seats on SW there was room under the seat for my diaper bag and the kids backpacks. You wont be able to put a large item under there but small bags fit fine.

As far as I know, only SW has the rows that face each other, and of course, you can't be sure to get those since it's a free for all for the seats.

My DD loves those seats, BTW. She thinks they are a hoot! Of course, since it's usually just the two of us (DH does not like to travel as much as we do), we're usually knocking knees with some poor strangers. She won't let me sit across from her for some reason.

Trinity721 - what airline are you flying?

Good luck to you!

The only thing I can add is what helped when we took DD on airplane for the first time at 15 months. I had a bag of toys and books and such - but you know what she liked best? The phone! She would press the button to release it, pull the cord a bit, play with it, and then I would put it back and it would start again. It was a bit of a pain, but it kept her quiet!

Jill

I don't know what possessed us, but we flew with our daughter 11 times before she was 2 years old. All I can say is that at least you are looking at 2 1/2 hours on a plane, not the 7 hours each way that we did on one trip.

Lot's to drink, lot's of snacks. Baby Toys. And, if you're really desperate - talk with your doctor and what you could give baby to help her sleep on plane.

Have flown from 3-5 hours four or five trips when my children were 6mos, 13mos, & 4 over a 2 year period- so I've found some tips that worked

1. Recommend having the carseat for the child to sit in and play- bring toys that are attachable (velcro is great) to the car seat- one thing you don't want to be doing is bending over picking up pieces of toys or pacifiers- make sure if you use a pacifier that the pacifier is attached to a clippie on her shirt. Same thing for sippie cups or bottles- at that age they like to throw things for effect- not fun on an airplane. You can get that adhesive velcro tape and stick it to one bottle or sippy cup and attach it to the car seat-wonderful trick!
2. Don't bring crackers- they are way too crumbly and messy- zwieback toast or something that she can gnaw on for a while is good. My kids loved board books at this age- read to her and play peekaboo with them.
3. Take her out of the carseat about every 15 minutes for some stretching the leg routine- let her climb on your head and spy on the people behind you- those people are angels! We've never flown where there wasn't someone behind playing peekaboo with our little ones.
4. Lastly try to adjust her nap schedule so that she will be wanting a nap during the flight. I would try and keep my children wide awake on the car ride to the airport and stimulate the hay out of them on the first 30 minutes- give them a bottle and they'd sleep a good hour of the flight- so peaceful!!!
HTH
Tara

I too have flown many times with my daughter (this May will be 8 business/vacations and she will be 26) and getting a seat for the baby is important for sanity and for safety. I don''t have SW here but on most airlines if you buy a ticket for a child under two it is half the adult fare (which is usually worth it) I to agree with not get the bulkhead seats for a nine month old you will need the storage for toys, food etc. Definitely nurse or give a bottle on the way up or down. I usually tried to schedule the flights for right before her nap time - that way she got on board, settled down and fell asleep at her regular time . But if you can't do that - keep them up and overstimulated until you get on the plane. Good Luck

Could someone also let me know how to quote another post. I can't figure it out

My first DS flew 4 times befor the age of two as a lap passenger. My second son is a different story!! It was an absolute nightmare flying the two times we did as a lap passenger!! For our upcoming May trip I called and added an extra ticket a week later. I think he will do much better in his own carseat!!

Good luck!!

lildeb724 -- two options:

Top quote the whole post, you hit the little Quote icon at the bottom of the post. This takes you to a reply screen with the text already there.

To quote a portion of text if you are already in the reply screen, hi-lite what you want, right click to copy, then click Quote and paste it in.

This may not all be technically correct, but it will work!

One more point on the bulkhead debate: On most airlines, the tray tables for the bulkhead seats are inside the armrests. This means that the armrests do not lift up, and with 90% of carseats, if you can't lift the armrest, you can't secure the carseat in place.

As to putting things under your seat, that only works in the rear-facing bulkhead seats on SWA, or in non-recline seats that back against the wall. The normal rule is that the space under your seat belongs to the person sitting behind you. You can only use it yourself if there is no seat behind you.

Here's a tip re: getting that carseat onto the plane. Once the current load of passengers has deplaned, and you see the ramp agents milling around the door to the jetway, politely ask one of them if someone could place the carseat in your child's seat for you. (This only works on an airline w/ assigned seats, of course, and only if you bought a seat for the child.) Show them the boarding pass so that they can see what the seat assignment is for the child, and if they are feeling nice that day, they will take the seat on board and plunk it down in that seat. NOTE that they are NOT allowed to *install* the seat for you, but they can just carry it on and set it down; it's a good idea to tell them that you understand that. They won't always be willing to do this, but it does not hurt to ask.

We are flying United. I have chosen a seat near the front so I don't have to wait for everyone to get their stuff and get off, United doesn't have bulkhead seats.

The first time that my dd flew, we spoke to her ped and she suggested that we give her a decongestant about 30 minutes before take off and 30 minutes before landing to help with the popping of her ears. It worked for us. With my ds, his first flight he was 16 months and I just had him drink from his cup and he was fine.

Originally posted by Trinity721
We are flying United. I have chosen a seat near the front so I don't have to wait for everyone to get their stuff and get off, United doesn't have bulkhead seats.

This is a very good strategy.

But did you buy the baby a seat?

Also, there have been bulkhead seats on every United flt. I have been on...did United tell you this? Seems kinda weird. If you want one, give them a call back and ask for the first row of the cabin. Sometimes they reserve them for VFFs, but if you tell them you are traveling with a baby, and ask for a supervisor, they may relent.

Trinity721, I'm a mom of 4 DD's, have been doing the travelling thing since day one. We live in the Chicago area. Why don't I just fly down with you, help you out, hand you the juice, carry the bags..... any excuse to get back down to WDW!;)

I have received a lot of good advice, thanks everyone!

When I was looking at the seating chart for our United flight there didn't appear to be bulkhead seats... the plane actually looked rather small, only two rows of seats an two seats in each row. I'm hoping the seat next to me does not get taken. I will try that soft block idea. I am looking to see if I can get DD a seat at a discounted price. But we are actually going to Florida mainly to see DH... we only get to see him about once a month. We are only going to WDW for 2 days, on a budget.

house_of_princesses, hey i would gladly welcome your help! hehehe. I see that you aren't scheduled to be back at WDW for another 500+ days! too long, imho! hehe

Thanks to everyone for their great advice... Keep it coming! I'll let you all know what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter