The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

...absolutely NOT! And that's coming from someone with osteoarthritis in both knees. From a WDW vet, the difference in how amazingly close everything is is simply astounding!
I agree. In WDW, I end up needing a wheelchair. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel, I was able to walk on my own. We used the monorail in and out of Disneyland, and that was my saving grace. I absolutely loved being just steps away from whatever I wanted to do. Amazing.

I agree. In WDW, I end up needing a wheelchair. Staying at the Disneyland Hotel, I was able to walk on my own. We used the monorail in and out of Disneyland, and that was my saving grace. I absolutely loved being just steps away from whatever I wanted to do. Amazing.
I'm glad to hear that! We are traveling with my mother-in-law who has knee problems and we were concerned with the distance when debating staying at DLH vs DGC but the price difference was too big to ignore. So I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be that difficult. And we certainly plan to utilize the monorail as much as possible.

What are everyone's thoughts of staying here with small kids? Trying to decide whether to splurge or stay offsite. My son will be 4. :)

We stayed at the Grand Californian when my girls were 9 and 10 and while they enjoyed the pool area but were a little disappointed in the slide. This time we are going to the Disneyland Hotel because the pool area looks like so much fun, despite them being 13 and 14 now! I don't have little ones anymore but even they are excited about Goofy's Kitchen and the prospect of meeting Goofy in the lobby (I hear he hangs around sometimes).

We stayed at the Grand Californian when my girls were 9 and 10 and while they enjoyed the pool area but were a little disappointed in the slide. This time we are going to the Disneyland Hotel because the pool area looks like so much fun, despite them being 13 and 14 now! I don't have little ones anymore but even they are excited about Goofy's Kitchen and the prospect of meeting Goofy in the lobby (I hear he hangs around sometimes).

Goofy’s photo op is really whimsical and as far as I can tell he takes a picture with everyone as they enter (at least if you have a somewhat early reservation, like 8 or 9).

Hi! I had to make the downgrade to DLH Club Level from the Grand Club level to save us approx. $2,500 USD, (add more for exchange and it's even bigger savings) …. with the Cdn exchange that it just too big a difference to ignore. I know that GCH would have the optimal location, but Do you find the walk to the parks that horrible staying at DLH?? Our kids are staying across the road at Best Western Park Place Inn, so we will be meeting up with them daily somewhere...
Your kids could switch to Best Western Stovall (Disneyland and Katella), the shortest walk to DLH.
You can add your kids to your DLH room and all of your family can enjoy the E-Ticket lounge, also a good place to meet in the morning.

Thank you so much! That is a relief to know! My heart would love to switch back to GCH, but I just can't overlook that $2,500 difference, that's a lot of money that would go a long way towards paying for our food and other incidentals , as well as that light sabre DH wants to build :P . I think it's DLH for us unless something major changes in the next 68 days price wise! Wish I could afford to pay the difference so our boys could stay at DLH with us.... but it would be about $1,400 more added to what they are paying to stay at Best Western Park Place inn..... they are paying $1,300 for the 5 nights, and DLH is pricing at $2,700 for the most basic standard view. Guess they'll be meeting up with us, as that's still a substantial difference between the 2! :)

We just returned from our first stay at DLH. I was a little worried about the walk, but it turned out not to be a big deal - except for the one day we over exerted ourselves with too much walking in the park. In fact, Downtown Disney is so nice that we usually just wandered through - how else would we have stumbled across the Jazz Kitchen To Go and beignets?

One more thing to put your mind at ease. When you are envisioning the short walk from GCH, you are thinking of starting in the lobby. But that hotel stretches half the length of DTD. I can promise you that DLH is not much further than those rooms.

Enjoy your trip!

The characters wander around a lot. They were out at the pool and lobby while we stayed there.

Have our first ever trip to DL booked for November! 8 nights at the DLH, standard room. (50+ trips to Disney World) We really would like a room with a sofa sleeper. I have looked at room pics of the DLH, and noticed that some rooms have a sofa and some have a chair. Some rooms look more "roomy" than others. And bathroom setups look different. Are there different kinds of rooms at different views? Can't find this info anywhere.

I've been following this thread and this one on the monorail slides. I splurged for our next Disney vacation to stay at the DLH. It's been one of my bucket list items forever. My parents stayed there on their honeymoon. They're coming with us this trip to celebrate their 50th.

Seems the pool is closed all of July and they're sending guests to the PPH pool. It would kill the experience to have to schlep all the way to the PPH to use their less impressive pool. Part of the draw to the DLH are their slides and pool area. Bucket list item or not, I would let my parents stay there by themselves and we'd save our money to stay elsewhere with a great pool.

It seems sacrilegious to pray about it, but I'm praying just the same that the DLH slides are open by August!!

I've been following this thread and this one on the monorail slides. I splurged for our next Disney vacation to stay at the DLH. It's been one of my bucket list items forever. My parents stayed there on their honeymoon. They're coming with us this trip to celebrate their 50th.

Seems the pool is closed all of July and they're sending guests to the PPH pool. It would kill the experience to have to schlep all the way to the PPH to use their less impressive pool. Part of the draw to the DLH are their slides and pool area. Bucket list item or not, I would let my parents stay there by themselves and we'd save our money to stay elsewhere with a great pool.

It seems sacrilegious to pray about it, but I'm praying just the same that the DLH slides are open by August!!

The pool itself is open. The slides are half open. The larger slide is closed. However, the slides are not attached to the main 2 pools, and also, the slide work is expected to be completed by August, so you should be fine.

I really hope the slide is completed by August. The pool is not our main draw but it did play a role in our decision.

....ITA! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much! That is a relief to know! My heart would love to switch back to GCH, but I just can't overlook that $2,500 difference, that's a lot of money that would go a long way towards paying for our food and other incidentals , as well as that light sabre DH wants to build :P . I think it's DLH for us unless something major changes in the next 68 days price wise! Wish I could afford to pay the difference so our boys could stay at DLH with us.... but it would be about $1,400 more added to what they are paying to stay at Best Western Park Place inn..... they are paying $1,300 for the 5 nights, and DLH is pricing at $2,700 for the most basic standard view. Guess they'll be meeting up with us, as that's still a substantial difference between the 2! :)
....after having traveled there, I originally had reservations at PPH and switched at the last minute....boy was I glad that I did!

Your kids could switch to Best Western Stovall (Disneyland and Katella), the shortest walk to DLH.
You can add your kids to your DLH room and all of your family can enjoy the E-Ticket lounge, also a good place to meet in the morning.
Thanks for your thoughts! Is BW Stovall a nice hotel? Does it offer free breakfast too? This is the shorter walk to DLH? We do have them added to our room to access the amenities of the E ticket lounge and pool 😊

Thanks for your thoughts! Is BW Stovall a nice hotel? Does it offer free breakfast too? This is the shorter walk to DLH? We do have them added to our room to access the amenities of the E ticket lounge and pool 😊
I just assumed that Stovall would be similar to the BW your kids have already booked, but I have not stayed at any of them.
Stovall is the closest non-Disney hotel to DLH.

At the pools, are we allowed to bring our own vests/floaties for the kids or do we need to use ones provided by the hotel?

Our 3rd DLR trip is in September and we can’t wait to get back to DLH! I know the Grand is grand, but for us, you just can’t beat the nostalgic vibe of the Disneyland hotel! The throwback art/pictures/map, the light up headboards, Pluto in the lobby! It is just so Disney we can’t wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter