• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The disney Channel vs. the rest of Disney

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
I just got finished watching The Book of Pooh on Playhouse Disney with my daughter this morning (before school) and it got me thinking...Which is, as many of you can attest to, a dangerous thing...

Lately, there has been much written here on the DIS Business & Rumor Board about the lack of Magic that seems to permeate the current Company. About how the only endeavor imortant anymore is making money, and so on and so forth...But, this isn't entirely true, as one look at the successful & quality programming offered on The Disney Channel will show. My kids watch little else. Everything from Playhouse Disney to Lizzie McGuire to Jett Jackson to the wonderful (and educationally themed movies) like The Color of Friendship; Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century; The Jennie Project, etc.

So, while Disney has apparantly forsaken the edicts of 'being Disney' in other areas lately, the Disney Channel continues to flourish. Now, I know the various divisions are all seperate and comparing the Theme Parks to The Disney Channel is truely comparing apples to oranges, but what about a comparison between The Disney Channel & ABC? Why can't they incorporate the same winning philosophy with ABC? Why won't they be able to do the same with ABC Family? Maybe even take direction to Animation & Films, it would be a step back to real 'Disney' would it not?

OK, I'm concluding with the hope that you'll be able to muddle through this maze of verbage and offer your thoughts on this area where I think, perhaps, Disney has a chance to shine.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

True, but to a degree. Some of the Disney shows on the Disney channel are not appropriate for all ages, like any TV. READ SOME, not all. They show wise cracking children overruling the household and depicting parents as stupid and not in control. The one show that gets me is (I think it is called Brotherly Love). This clearly sends the wrong message to young children as it mocks what a family is about. Parents are there to guide, council and disipline, NOT be laughed at and ridiculed and depicted as stupid and unknowing.

I agree with you, Peter Pirate. I am 25 and other than ESPN and CNN, I watch little other than the Disney Channel. I think that their programming is well put together. One of my favorites over the years in Flash Forward, and I love Even Stevens. Boy Meets World reruns are great, too. I think that one of the main reasons that I watch it so much, though, it that there are no commercials! I love the late night programming when I have insomnia - Vault Disney.

I think that there are a lot of areas where Disney has gotten away from the Magic in favor of the bottom line, and as a CM, I say this hesitantly. But I think that the Disney Channel is quality TV overall and I am pleased that they have kept the integrity.

Btw, I LOVED the Color of Friendship. They really do make great movies. And I love Movie Surfers. It's brilliant. I could go on and on, so I won't.

Love the Disney Channel and Vault Disney is some of the best television out there.

Most of the new original movies are also a lot fun and, of course I can always watch anything with a tie-in to the parks over and over again for weeks on end. And that's one thing I'd like to see more of.

I think one of the greatest things about WDW are the elaborate (and sometimes overlooked) stories that complement the attractions and resorts. So, I'd love to see more movies like "Tower of Terror" that highlight this so incredible aspect of The World. From the "story" behind the settlement of the Wilderness Lodge to rides like Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris and Big Thunder Mountain the possibilities are endless. The best part is the stories are already there just waiting to be produced and Disney has a dedicated outlet in the Disney Channel through which to tell them. And then for Disney there's the added benefit that they remind us it's time to get back to WDW real soon. And when we do get back, they enhance the visit and maybe even tempt us to try a new resort or look at a ride in a fresh light.

Seems like a no brainer to me. But then, other than clicking the remote, I don't really know much about movie production or television programing. In any case, I think Disney Channel is doing a great job.

For the most part, I feel the Disney channel is far from the magic. How often do you see cartoons with the main Disney characters? How often do you see programming that gives the feel you got from the Old Magical World of Disney. I love Vault Disney, Magical World of Disney and certain movies like Tower of Terror. But shows like Brotherly Love, the emphasis on singers who I don't necessarily want as models for my kids and lack of good old fashioned stuff leaves me longing for the old disney channel. I wish Disney would go back to airing some of their classic movies like Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella. As fall is coming I hope they show the old stuff for Halloween. The special Disney Halloween, Headless Horseman, Mickey as a Ghostbuster were all things I looked forward to. I know I can get these things on video, but that is what I have the Disney channel for.
It is hard for me to write this because I grew up on Disney programming.

I only just got the disney channel back after no having it for 15 years. I do understand that they have a lot of quality childrens programming that, while I have no interest in it, provides much needed magical entertainment for the kiddies out there. Even so, it seems that there is not as much on it now that I like as there used to be. I remember that they used to show lots more of the older Disney stuff (movies and animated shorts). I also seem to recall more documentarys on the parks, animators and imagineers (this was the stuff I really liked). Perhaps they still have this stuff and I haven't found it yet, or perhaps I am remembering through rose colored glasses. I hope so, becuase I really used to like the Disney channel.

This is also why they've created toon Disney. So they can have their cake and Eat it too. Unfortunatly, Toon Disney isn't carried widley. Heck, I don't even get the Disney Channel. One of the possible side effects of the Fox Family purchase COULD be that some of the Disney Channel programming will get moved there. The Disney Channel seems to have definatly been firing on all cylinders lately. The problem is distribution. Actually, most of Disney's cable properties with the exception of E! which has interesting programing, but also a huge amount of Smut are reasonably good As far as I can tell.

Tigeroo, I understand your view but I think you're missing the point, today's programming isn't aimed at you, it's aimed at the kids and I think for the most part it has a positive message. Of course some of the performers leave something to be desired as role models (from a parents viewpoint) but then we're still raising our kids , not Disney. My parents were not thrilled with the Beatles and despite my emulating mop top, I still grew up ok. So while hip-hop music and it's stars don't thrill me, I feel as long as I'm atuned to whats going on I still have some influence. These people aren't bad per say, just different from Annette, Cubby & Frankie!

While Brotherly Love may not be classic or ideal it's still generally better than what's on the other children's networks. Besides, for one questionable Brotherly Love there is a bunch of others, Even Stevens, Lizzie Mcguire, So Weird, Jett Jackson and so on. These shows don't resemble what we watched as kids but for the most part do enpart a positive tone...

My kids love Mickey Mouse, but if they started showing Mickey Mouse cartoons instead of Lizzie McGuire or Bear in the Big Blue House on Disney, they would be watching Nickleodean.

I understand your view but I think you're missing the point, today's programming isn't aimed at you, it's aimed at the kids
...on a grander scale, the argument could be made that _you_ are missing the point.

While Disney has always had the ability to fascinate children, for much of the company's history, they were able to grab adults, too. That was a feat of creativity, and one of the main supports of Disney's popularity: it was entertainment that was wholesome for kids, but mom and dad could enjoy themselves, too.

The majority of programming for the Disney Channel and Toon Disney has limited whole-family appeal (and the little that does offer that appeal tends to show up at 3:30 in the morning). Personally, I believe this represents a lowering of standards. It's actually not that difficult to create programming that will distract the kids while mom folds the laundry; Barney, Teletubbies, Pokemon and the Power Rangers (now with official Disney brand Magic (tm), ask for it by name!) were all very succesful for a time with young kids, but to a great extent, are painful to watch once you outgrow the 3 to 6x department.

By targetting children exclusive of the rest of their family, Disney is moving away from one of its long-time foundations. This is another example of Disney failing to go the extra mile they once would, and offering merely a different flavor of what everyone else is offering; and in some cases (go, go, Power Rangers), _precisely_ the same flavor, with a Disney sticker over the old label.

Jeff

Everyone has different perspective which is entirely based on their personal situation. I, for one, absolutely love the Disney Channel for offering Playhouse Disney. Our daughter is 3.5 years old and PD programming is perfect for her. Rolie Polie Olie, Bear, Pooh, PB&J are all shows that I never have to worry about her watching. On the other hand, when she flips over to Nick or Cartoon Network I have to pull out my veto stamp periodically.

I said it was about the situation, for us the afternoon and evening DC programming is a non issue, Nat couldn't watch those shws even if a giant ice cream sundae with lolipops sticking out of it were on the line - they bore her senseless.

So, for right now, DC is the best thing going on the tube for us. PS, our cable provider does not offer Toon Disney... I wish they did, when we are at WDW Nat loves alot of their programming.

Peter!! Good to hear from you again. Is the Captain alright? Or has he finally caught Jessica Rabbit? ;)

Anyway, Peter my old friend, I think you may have found the perfect analogy (or at least a microcosm) of what causes YoHo's bipolar reaction to Disney, Gcurling switching cars (even while in motion, clearly violating the warnings regarding arms and legs inside the vehicle!) and my admitted schizophrenic behavior, especially when a good dose of WDW has recently been digested!

My kids watch The Disney Channel 24 by 7!! The older two have strayed a bit, but the younger three, and even my 14 year old daughter, can't get enough of it. And I understand what you're saying about recent programming decisions.
Everything from Playhouse Disney to Lizzie McGuire to Jett Jackson to the wonderful (and educationally themed movies) like The Color of Friendship; Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century; The Jennie Project, etc.
I absolutely agree!!!!!

However, I do have some real concerns. And they have been voiced very well by most of the previous posters. Such as:
Some of the Disney shows on the Disney channel are not appropriate for all ages, like any TV. READ SOME, not all. They show wise cracking children overruling the household and depicting parents as stupid and not in control.
I think one of the greatest things about WDW are the elaborate (and sometimes overlooked) stories that complement the attractions and resorts.
As fall is coming I hope they show the old stuff for Halloween. The special Disney Halloween, Headless Horseman, Mickey as a Ghostbuster were all things I looked forward to. I know I can get these things on video, but that is what I have the Disney channel for.
Now they're NOT talking about some fashion statement (Beatle hair cut) but instead conceptual lifestyle issues (which are clearly contrary to those standards that Disney once held dear) and the serious question of lost potential. Which leads directly to management philosophy and just what goals they are trying to accomplish.

So whether you agree with their assessment or not, there are some very real concerns for many, many people. You can't just say, "Well, they rest of it is great! So it's a raging success!!" You can't ignore the 'big picture' and philosophical issues, just because they're doing 'most' things right. That's the same type of argument we've been having about the corporate Disney and specifically WDW for the last year or so. Sure, I can overlook (change the channel) for a few items (shows). And I can make up a list of simply wonderful and magical things (shows). But that does not make the poor decisions and misguided philosophy go away! In fact, in light of all the great things (shows and movies) we know they can do, it just makes their inappropriate concepts and bottom line ideals even that much worse!!!

I think JeffJewell sized it up perfectly, coupled with the above concerns:
By targeting children exclusive of the rest of their family, Disney is moving away from one of its long-time foundations. This is another example of Disney failing to go the extra mile they once would, and offering merely a different flavor of what everyone else is offering
What a sense of disappointment and lost potential that leaves in me. Doesn't it do the same to you?

OK...Well, my point was that Disney was doing a pretty good job targeting younger audiences with quality programming, why couldn't they do the same with ABC and ABC Family, meaning quality Disney type programming aimed at whatever demographic fits the parameters.

In that vein, ABC recently made a bold announcement in that they will be broadcasting "Private Ryan" un-cut. If they do this, this could be a huge breakthrough for network television - with Disney leading the way. I, for one, will not bother to watch an "edited" movie on the nets. What's the point? Half the time you can't even follow the story. So, my question with all of this is, why can't Disney do more of this innovation and make ABC a real industry leader and a success to boot?

Oh, one other point about some "questionable" progrtams on The Disney Channel. Questionable to who? This isn't 1960 anymore and "stuff" is out there. some people find things more acceptable than others, some more objectionable than others...My point (again with the point) we are still raising our kids (not Disney) and as gcurling said, it is our responsibility to monitor what they watch...Even on Disney (even when Walt was the boss).

Oh, one more thing. I (a 46 year old) find a lot of the programming on The Disney Channel entertaining, particularily the movies (again, The Jennie Project, for one)...

I'm still with you, Mr. Pirate. As an adult, I find Disney original programming to be entertaining. I don't watch very much net TV because I don't find it to be entertaining. There are excpetion, of course to both sides. I like (but forget to watch) Spin City, and I watch Dawson's Creek religiously (thanks to my kid brother) and I am addicted to The Sopranos, but I would rather watch Lizzie McGuire than Friends or Drew Carey. On the flip side, I don't care for So Weird, but that just proves that everyone's taste is different, so no one should expect to approve of or enjoy all of Disney's shows. My very diverse taste in shows (The Sopranos is certaintly a far cry from The Jersey) shows that quality is quality but everyone has to decide for themselves what constitutes as quality.
Bravo to the Disney Channel for making their own programming work.

I would like to see more original, old movies like Pinnochio and Cinderella, though.

I don't Know, I figured Private Ryan was just an apology for Pearl Harbor. To look at ABC, I think Anne Frank was and will be proven to be a far more bold and really well done program. Of course as AV and Even Eisner himself alludes to in his Autobiography. He wants to be a network TV man. Perhaps we'll see more good things happening on the TV front in general. At the expense of the movies and theme parks of course.

I have to say that the Disney Channels, including Toon Disney, serve their purpose quite well as my kids just love them. I do miss shows on the history of Disney and the parks, however. I also especially miss "WDW Insider," the weekly show from the parks that used to air. I don't understand why Disney doesn't do more things like it to promote a synergy within the company.

It's like the Disney Stores which carry nothing but toys and children's stuff. They seem to have gone downhill ever since Pressler left, while the stores at the parks are the only things I could say have improved tremendouly since he took over there. Maybe they should have left him at the stores since that seems to be what he was best at. I don't understand why the stores don't carry a variety of merchandise for children, youth and adults as well as Disney Travel Company offices where customers could make travel plans to parks or cruises, etc.

I don't know, the Disney Chanel just seems to be lacking something right now. It's gone from "entertainment for the whole family" to many shows that are geered only at kids. I wish they would show more "Disney" movies, like Lion King or Lady and the Tramp like they use to. I was extreemly suprised to see that Tarzan was on. In my opinion, these direct to TV movies are worse than many of thr animated direct to video movies, which I've heard tons of complaning about all over the web. Another thing I wish is they'd show more Vault Disney. Why do the always put some of their best shows between midnight and 5am? All they do in the evenings is repete the movies and shows they've shown at least once the same day! It would be nice to see more "Disney" in the Disney Channel (although, I have to admit, that Lizzy McGuire is more entertaining than most of the shows on ABC, or many of the other networks for that matter).

:)

I think the Disney Channel would be a lot better if they showed more of the movies that Disney is famous for. I realize that will not generate as much money as someone buying the video or DVD, but I would like to get more entertainment for what I payed to have the channel added to my cable other than a Jett Jackson movie or Big Bear in the Blue House, or whatever it's called. Vault Disney is cool, but there needs to be more of that. It makes me wonder what Walt Disney would think of the programming on the channel. It would also be nice to see a documentary about the parks every now and then or a special about certain events, like the 100th Birthday Celebration.

Mickey76:)

I love the disney channel!!!!!

I love all the shows they have...except liek brotherly love and those..all the orinigal disney channel ones I love...liek right now Im watching Lizzie Mcguire right now!!

maybe its b/c Im a teen but i think its awesome..and I love vault disney!!! I iwsh they would make like a Vault DIsney channel!!! that would be like the best channel ever!! :)

Just to respond to the WWWT (What Would Walt think) I Have to assume that he would not be a fan of Vault Disney. Perferring new programming. Of course whether he'd approve of what is currnetly being shown is anyone's guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter