The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Only 138 days to our Disney plans for FW. So far need to find out more on tickets. We originally planned on getting gold annual passes through DVC, though with AP out for now I need to call DVC and confirm we can still order tickets and upgrade to an AP if they finally allow them again by July.

This week Melissa goes back to the classroom. Today is meetings and learning how they new technology in the room is setup for her to teach 6-8 kids in person and remainder online. She has mixed feelings after we saw the schedule for 5th grade, plus trying to concurrently handle the in person and the online kids will likely be exhausting for the first few weeks as everyone adjusts.

On the plus side, our taxes are filed. Though half of it is already earmarked for work on the driveway.

We originally planned on getting gold annual passes through DVC
So I don't know DVC, but it was my understanding from some other posts I've seen that if you bought DVC direct, not through resale, that you could buy an AP by calling in.

So I don't know DVC, but it was my understanding from some other posts I've seen that if you bought DVC direct, not through resale, that you could buy an AP by calling in.

AP's aren't being sold to most people right now - they are only available to certain groups like current holders and those who had passes expire or go on pause during the pandemic.

@jbrostek, I have to imagine that their typical upgrade policy will be available, but it's hard to know for sure right now. Sadly, I'm not counting on them being available for our August trip, but only time will tell. For now, I've booked a package including tickets, that way I have the park reservations and arrangements in place but haven't yet actually purchased the tickets - leaving me more flexibility down the road.

AP's aren't being sold to most people right now - they are only available to certain groups like current holders and those who had passes expire or go on pause during the pandemic.

Oh how I know, I’ve begged, pleaded and had the wife on the phone for 17 hours to try. But there have been recent posts that some people that bought DVC direct and have the blue card or whatever it is called have been able to get them. It’s worth a call at least :) It’s certainly very limited but apparently some are getting them via DVC. All depends on who you talk to unfortunately.

I did the same thing you did for our WDW 50th trip. Went ahead and booked a package so I could get my park reservation (and thankfully I did because MK is booked for October 1)

Oh how I know, I’ve begged, pleaded and had the wife on the phone for 17 hours to try. But there have been recent posts that some people that bought DVC direct and have the blue card or whatever it is called have been able to get them. It’s worth a call at least :) It’s certainly very limited but apparently some are getting them via DVC. All depends on who you talk to unfortunately.

Hmmm... Interesting. I haven't seen this. The DVC board of which I am a part has had a lot of people try various things, but the only people who have had luck are those who fit the cancelled/expired during Covid requirement. If they really are allowing AP sales to direct purchasers, that would be really unfortunate, as that should then be made available to all of the DVC blue card holders.

This is a real sore point for me. We had a plan for 6 trips on one AP starting this August. Two Fort trips in the summers were going to bookend 4 duo trips at DVC (DW and me and then one on one with each of our 3 kids). Without AP's, WDW is losing out on a ton of our business.

Yeah, I was not trying to get the AP through DVC.

My calling DVC was to see if there where any ticket offers for DVC members with a valid reservation. Turns out, yes there are, it has to be a DVC reservation, so my FW res doesn't count. They also said no guidance has been given as to what policies will still apply when they do start to offer AP again. Her guess is it would be quite dumb not to allow us to upgrade to the AP considering a lot of people do that in the past.

I already banked this years points, there is no chance of a DVC stay before our next use year without an AP.

This is a real sore point for me
Ditto. We've gone several times since they re-opened and it's really annoying as I know it is for so many people.

I'll see if I can find the post again where someone had gotten theirs via DVC. I'm very careful about not saying something unless I've personally verified or have seen it with my own eyes that someone has said it. We've got enough rumors lol

Hmmm... Interesting. I haven't seen this.
Found it - https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...or-new-direct-purchases.3825090/post-62685980

Lots of back and forth in the thread obviously but this person was able to buy an AP as a DVC member even though they hadn't had one before. It is on a very strict case by case basis and most people are not able to meet whatever criteria they are using.

But anyways, sorry that it wasn't the info you needed @jbrostek. Hopefully some day we'll see some sort of AP program return. God knows I need as much Disney in my life as I can get.

Found it - https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...or-new-direct-purchases.3825090/post-62685980

Lots of back and forth in the thread obviously but this person was able to buy an AP as a DVC member even though they hadn't had one before. It is on a very strict case by case basis and most people are not able to meet whatever criteria they are using.

But anyways, sorry that it wasn't the info you needed @jbrostek. Hopefully some day we'll see some sort of AP program return. God knows I need as much Disney in my life as I can get.

Interesting - thanks for sharing. I was not aware of this particular element of the quagmire that is DVC AP's right now. So frustrating!

We are going to work on the plan that we have tickets, and if passes become available by July, we will trade in our tickets and upgrade to the gold AP to use with our future DVC stay.

I am about to reveal the true depths of my nerdiness. :crazy:

In my new-to-me tow vehicle (which will be towing in approx 2.5 weeks) I have spent considerable time strategizing on how to program the radio favorite buttons.

I know, I KNOW, it's a huge decision. It's rare when something this serious comes up but it must be decided on and then I have to live with the consequences.

I have four rows of touch screen favorites each row having eight programmable buttons. So the high level decision is to split those four rows among the various sources (AM, FM, SiriusXM) which is not that hard. But the pressure is on the button choices for each row.

Since I listen to satellite radio quite a bit, I first decided to devote two of the four rows to SiruisXM station, one row to FM stations, and the last row to AM stations. That's the easy, high level decision.

Not going to go into too many details on the button choices except to explain my AM station choices for @Teamubr's sake.

The buttons on AM are, sadly, looking for homes since I hardly if ever listen to AM (the hard part is the SiriusXM buttons, honestly). But then I decided, since this YukonXL has very good AM reception (Suburban AM side was junk), to go with the superstation/baseball options where possible.

First AM button went to the local, central Alabama sports AM station. Powers down at night to 20W bulb strength though.
Second AM button goes to 670 WSCR of the Chicago Cubs radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for baseball at night.
Third AM button goes to 700 WLW of the Cincinnati Reds radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for baseball at night.
Fourth AM button goes to 870 WWL in New Orleans. 50Kw 24/7 for all things NOLA (LSU tears after a loss is must-hear).
Fifth AM button goes to 1100 WTAM of the Cleveland Indians radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for my hometown Tribe.
Sixth AM button goes to 1120 KMOX of the St. Louis Cardinals radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for @Teamubr's baseball team.

The last two buttons are open to suggestions. Must be 50Kw at night for me to pick up. I'm disappointed that 1020 KDKA in Pittsburgh is apparently NOT on the Pirates network (wish they were - my brother now lives in Pittsburgh). The Braves are on an Atlanta station that is 50Kw during the day but powers down at night. Supposedly they have an affiliate (sometimes) in Birmingham about 50 miles from me but the games are not always played on any of their 2 FM and 1 AM family of stations. They get bumped off about 50% of the time for what seems to be no reason at all. Not that I give a rat's rear end about the Braves (they beat the Indians in the World Series about 25 years ago and I've never forgiven them - I always pull for the other team).

If you've managed to read this far, you're probably thinking that this is DEEP down a rabbit hole that only Ed cares about (or he needs a professional intervention). But sometimes when I head out on the road early in the morning before the sun comes up, I can pull in the AM superstations and it's fun to listen to weather or sports talk in a different city. As well as at night of course after dark.

So I am taking suggestions on my last two buttons. Must be 50Kw 24/7 and not across the country like California or Alaska.

Bama Ed

PS - baseball affiliates are a plus

PPS - yes I have the MLB phone app/desktop subscription and for $20/yr can listen to either side's radio broadcasters and AUX/BT it into the radio from the phone. But I grew up in cars with AM radios tuned with knobs and a sliding orange tuning stick so I have an affinity for listening to the car radio directly.

In my new-to-me tow vehicle (which will be towing in approx 2.5 weeks) I have spent considerable time strategizing on how to program the radio favorite buttons.

I know, I KNOW, it's a huge decision. It's rare when something this serious comes up but it must be decided on and then I have to live with the consequences.

I have four rows of touch screen favorites each row having eight programmable buttons. So the high level decision is to split those four rows among the various sources (AM, FM, SiriusXM) which is not that hard. But the pressure is on the button choices for each row.

Since I listen to satellite radio quite a bit, I first decided to devote two of the four rows to SiruisXM station, one row to FM stations, and the last row to AM stations. That's the easy, high level decision.

Not going to go into too many details on the button choices except to explain my AM station choices for @Teamubr's sake.

The buttons on AM are, sadly, looking for homes since I hardly if ever listen to AM (the hard part is the SiriusXM buttons, honestly). But then I decided, since this YukonXL has very good AM reception (Suburban AM side was junk), to go with the superstation/baseball options where possible.

First AM button went to the local, central Alabama sports AM station. Powers down at night to 20W bulb strength though.
Second AM button goes to 670 WSCR of the Chicago Cubs radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for baseball at night.
Third AM button goes to 700 WLW of the Cincinnati Reds radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for baseball at night.
Fourth AM button goes to 870 WWL in New Orleans. 50Kw 24/7 for all things NOLA (LSU tears after a loss is must-hear).
Fifth AM button goes to 1100 WTAM of the Cleveland Indians radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for my hometown Tribe.
Sixth AM button goes to 1120 KMOX of the St. Louis Cardinals radio network. 50Kw 24/7 for @Teamubr's baseball team.

The last two buttons are open to suggestions. Must be 50Kw at night for me to pick up. I'm disappointed that 1020 KDKA in Pittsburgh is apparently NOT on the Pirates network (wish they were - my brother now lives in Pittsburgh). The Braves are on an Atlanta station that is 50Kw during the day but powers down at night. Supposedly they have an affiliate (sometimes) in Birmingham about 50 miles from me but the games are not always played on any of their 2 FM and 1 AM family of stations. They get bumped off about 50% of the time for what seems to be no reason at all. Not that I give a rat's rear end about the Braves (they beat the Indians in the World Series about 25 years ago and I've never forgiven them - I always pull for the other team).

If you've managed to read this far, you're probably thinking that this is DEEP down a rabbit hole that only Ed cares about (or he needs a professional intervention). But sometimes when I head out on the road early in the morning before the sun comes up, I can pull in the AM superstations and it's fun to listen to weather or sports talk in a different city. As well as at night of course after dark.

So I am taking suggestions on my last two buttons. Must be 50Kw 24/7 and not across the country like California or Alaska.

Bama Ed

PS - baseball affiliates are a plus

PPS - yes I have the MLB phone app/desktop subscription and for $20/yr can listen to either side's radio broadcasters and AUX/BT it into the radio from the phone. But I grew up in cars with AM radios tuned with knobs and a sliding orange tuning stick so I have an affinity for listening to the car radio directly.

Now that you are retired, you just have way too much time on your hands. :hourglass

Now that you are retired, you just have way too much time on your hands. :hourglass

I'm not lying when I say I am busier now in retirement than I was when I was working, PaHunter. ::yes::

Nowadays, however, I'm getting things done that matter: chores, trains, fixits, church, and doing things for mine and DW's aging parents.

Oh and I filed my taxes already and got my refund TODAY (small though it is). :banana: Earliest I've ever gotten a refund.

And planning future camping trips of course.

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

I'm not lying when I say I am busier now in retirement than I was when I was working, PaHunter. ::yes::

Nowadays, however, I'm getting things done that matter: chores, trains, fixits, church, and doing things for mine and DW's aging parents.

Oh and I filed my taxes already and got my refund TODAY (small though it is). :banana: Earliest I've ever gotten a refund.

And planning future camping trips of course.

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

We filed our taxes Feb 1st and have not gotten our refund yet. Earliest our taxes have been filed.

I have spent considerable time strategizing on how to program the radio favorite buttons.

This is serious stuff. I don't even have 1/2 of my radio buttons programmed. I only need 3 though. One for a Pop station, One for NPR and One for where ever the Cardinals are on.

Awe.

I'm honored the Cards made it all the way up to the #6 spot. :love1:

It's that Nolan Arenado trade that did it, right? ESPN had a great quote the next day. "That was the dumbest trade on the planet... unless you're a Cardinals fan. Then it was the best thing this decade."

j

Last edited:
@Teamubr you did notice @bama_ed had the Cubs third.

The Cubs are bums.

But as to the order, @garneska, if you notice the local AM station was first and then the out-of-town stations are listed in numerical frequency order from low to high.

That's all you have to work with.

Go on....

Bama Ed

PS - as I said above, your Braves are bums too.

I, on the other hand, have had my truck for 15 months and DW constantly hassles me because I have still yet to set a single preset. The radio is voice activated anyway, so I simply don't bother using the screen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter