The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

oh that's gonna leave a mark.... sorry it happened. Bama Ed

I booked a Friday night at Lake Louisa SP for our night before Fort arrival. Got site 16. I pretty much had my pic of sites, but this one is a pull through and seemed easy enough to get in and out. Learned something on my first trip last spring with the new trailer. I have to be careful with some of the curved pull throughs. They put the utility pole on the inside of the curve and trying to get 65 ft to curve without taking out something on the inside can be tough.

I did notice on the reservation site that you have to be in before 5pm. If my driving goes as planned, I'll have a 10 hour + stops drive on Friday. It said to call ahead on the day we are arriving to let them know we will be late. I hope they don't keep someone late to hold the gate for me.

EDIT: I just read the fine print, again. It says if I am arriving after sunset, call before 5pm and they will give me the gate combination. That makes me feel better.

j

Jim, that's a good site.

Make sure you look up the phone number for LL off the floridastatepark.org website. I've arrived after gates locked and got the code and it's not a problem. There is a Walmart Supercenter about 5 minutes before LL on the left in Clermont that we stock up at on the way into LL. That way once we get to the Fort the next morning we don't have to leave for a few days.

There is a short boardwalk/pier out onto the edge of the lake behind the Comfort Station near your site (on the right side of it). It has plenty of views of spanish moss on the oak trees and it's a beautiful look. Make sure you check it out before you leave.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Well I am stoked tonight! :rockband:

I was trolling out there for some place warm and sunny between Christmas and New Years and finally scored. I got a week and a half reservation at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo, FL.

I was like :banana:.

That actually carries through most of the first week of January. I just MIGHT have to stop by the Fort on the way home :rolleyes: (on the way down are the expensive Christmas rates). I've been to the Keys three times already so I like the idea of Largo at the top of the islands and not having to go down all the way to Key West (been there done that). It will also be bowl game season so I can take my satellite dish plus tv and work on my tan while I am watching games.

At this point my life has so many moving parts it's hard to tell who else might go (hoping DW but her job is one of the moving parts) but at this point it's enough to know I've got a spot reserved.

I feel like I just won the lottery. State Parks in the Keys in winter are hard to get what with all the snow birds. I feel really lucky!

Bama Ed

PS - special thanks to our poster amcc to get me to look in this direction. Her pictures from their family Keys campout this past summer/fall got me to thinking...

Last edited:
Congrats on scoring the Keys at Christmas. I thought Pennekamp was all off shore. My first thought was, "That will make for interesting hookups." :D

And thanks for the LL help. I would probably me booking something up by the Ga/Fl line and driving in the last 3-4 hours Saturday morning if I hadn't learned about LL on here.

j

Good score for both of you on those sites. So far I only have Gulf State Park booked in May/June and Mammoth Cave NP the 3rd week in July with a stop off in Nashville to hopefully meet some celebrities...Disboard celebrities that is.

So far I have Mammoth Cave NP the 3rd week in July with a stop off in Nashville to hopefully meet some celebrities...Disboard celebrities that is.
Where are you staying around Mammoth? I was looking at the area last Fall, but never pulled the trigger. It's only about 4 1/2 hours and I've never been.

j

Bama Ed I am very disappointed in you if you have to show a clip from "THE CINCINNATTI KID" you could have found one with Ann Margaret

Where are you staying around Mammoth? I was looking at the area last Fall, but never pulled the trigger. It's only about 4 1/2 hours and I've never been.

j

Jellystone right outside the park

Well, I heard back from the guy at the golf cart repair shop. Repairs to the tune of $550. Completely fried the motor but everything else was okay. Word to all of you, make dang sure you put that switch in "Tow" before you pull the golf cart!

Jellystone right outside the park
Thanks,

I didn't see anything RV capable in the park, but saw several private cgs around the park. Wasn't sure which ones were worthwhile.

Well, I heard back from the guy at the golf cart repair shop. Repairs to the tune of $550. Completely fried the motor but everything else was okay. Word to all of you, make dang sure you put that switch in "Tow" before you pull the golf cart!
Ooo. That's a rather expensive learning lesson. How's Stacey taking it?

j

Thanks,

I didn't see anything RV capable in the park, but saw several private cgs around the park. Wasn't sure which ones were worthwhile.

Ooo. That's a rather expensive learning lesson. How's Stacey taking it?

j

Haven't told her yet.o_O

Jim, I stayed at Mammoth Cave NP several years ago and the campgrounds within the park do not have RV hookups at all. No power, no sewer. Me, DS#2, and my little popup were there for one night after doing the Classic Mammoth Cave tour. There are a number of good RV campgrounds out near I65 with Jellystone that Michael's staying at one of the higher rated spots.

I enjoyed visiting Mammoth (but got let off with a warning for speeding within the park limits - while towing no less). And it's not far down to Bowling Green to the Corvette factory - you being a car guy would enjoy that tour. I think they do two tours a day.

Plus I've always wanted to explore the Bourbon/Whiskey Trail in Kentucky. And Abe Lincoln's Birthplace is a little north - I've enjoyed that.

You should go - it's very interesting.

Bama Ed

Well if it was working in the first place...... :rotfl:

Haven't told her yet.o_O
Be gentle.... if she is anything like my DW.... she will turn it around on you some how (see above comment) and then you will have to pay the $550 for the motor AND another $150 for Dinner, flowers, etc.... :)

If you haven't done the Jack Daniels tour in Lynchburg Tn, you should.

Well if it was working in the first place...... :rotfl:

Be gentle.... if she is anything like my DW.... she will turn it around on you some how (see above comment) and then you will have to pay the $550 for the motor AND another $150 for Dinner, flowers, etc.... :)
She's the one who killed it in the first place. Maybe I should get the dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter