The DIS Fit: 2019 thread. Join us in the New Hopes and Goals thread.

I can play the DVDs I have :) But Beachbody on demand is a streaming service for all of their workout programs. I would need a chromecast or something. I have one on the main TV but I think it would be annoying to move from one to the other because of how the main tv is set up. I'm not sure doing them off the laptop would be that easy just for how small the screen is. But wonder if there is a way to connect the laptop to a TV.
Does the TV have any HDMI ports?? If so it's a simple cable from the laptop to the TV and then switch the input on the TV, maximize the window on the laptop and POOF big screen viewing. We do this ALL the time when we go to hotels, that's how we watched Harry Potter over the new year break we took AND how we kept up with our Netflix while in Disney! We keep a cable in the suitcase :P

I'm in!

I was very active up until the fall. Usually go to the gym in the winters and walk and hike lots in the spring/summer/fall. I was making sure I got in at least 5 km five times a week. But my moms health is failing, and she's been in hospital on and off. Plus my brother is in hospital in another city so I've had to make a couple of trips there as he's single, no family, etc. and was on life support early December. So I've spent September til now basically sitting in my office, or a hospital chair, or waiting in doctor's offices, or sitting in my vehicle driving to these places or driving kids to their activities/work. And eating like crap and drinking lots of double doubles to get me through the day! LOL Unfortunately I am not one of those people that lose weight when they are stressed!

So, things have settled down a bit and I'm trying to get to the gym at least 3 times a week. We have a treadmill at home I need to dust off and get running. Plus I like the idea of those walking videos some of you posted. Will try those out for a quick workout when I can't get out!

I was hoping to lose 20 lbs before our March break trip and work up my stamina since I plan to do lots of hiking, walking etc. in Hawaii. I've lost 5 so far, not sure 15 is doable if I'm trying to do a safe 1-2 lbs per week. I've cut out a lot of crap and I ended up giving in and buying some meal replacement shake mix to keep at work and at home for those times I'm running here and there and didn't get a chance to prep healthy food. I figure it's better than a crappy muffin from the hospital coffee shop when I've had to run there last minute after work.

I also hate the cold. Not a skiier but I have some friends that snow shoe so I'm thinking about getting a pair to get out "hiking" on slighly warmer days. Every year I say this is the year I'm going to take up cross country...then say maybe next year. LOL

Hugs to you Hon
dealing with everyday stuff and then adding caring for family is both emotionally and physically draining,,remember to take care of you,,the idea of some shakes is a good one.
Hugs
Mel

Wow, I'm almost having as much trouble keeping up with this thread as i did with the StB one this year (seriously .. that was a very busy 6 weeks!!) I've just gone back and re-read the entire thread with the plan of commenting on all the posts that sparked a thought and discovered i would basically be quoting EVERYTHING! So once again the Duck is going for point form, wildly disconnected thoughts (if this annoys anyone, let me know and I'll reign it in a bit :P )
  • set small goals for yourself and then reward yourself when you reach them, for those of you wanting to drop lbs don't make it food! Small piece of jewelry if that's appealing to you, new book if you like to read, or if you're able to use food without going off the rails perhaps a single totally decadent chocolate from Purdys
  • If you find yourself losing weight or inches buy a few articles of clothing that fit you NOW, don't wait until you reach your final goal. 10lbs = 1 size give or take. Hit up Value Village, Goodwill, Giant Tiger, online clearance sales, no need to break the bank. If feels good to look good and others will notice if your clothes aren't baggy and hiding your results
  • Want a way to curb the evening nibbling? Brush & floss your teeth after your last planned food -- nothing tastes good mixed with toothpaste and who wants to do that again before bed?!?!? Seriously, this works and if you couple it with getting into your jammies you're letting your body & mind know the day is over, time to settle
  • Do NOT use an all or nothing mindset -- if you fall off the wagon, not matter which portion, acknowledge that, dust yourself off and get back on it immediately. Use the phrase "i'll try again tomorrow" and you'll be more likely to have that one slip become an end. Analogy for you: if you break a dish you don't turn around and shatter the entire set, you clean it up and carry on!
  • plan "off days" or "cheat days" that you can work towards to help eliminate the above point -- if you know that Friday is an off day it makes Mon-Thurs easier to push thru. It also helps with the "starvation mode" our bodies go into if we drastically alter our eating habits -- sort of a kick start When i was actively following WW I tracked like crazy Sun - Fri morning and as soon as i weighed in I put the paper aside and ate what i wanted, the weeks i didn't do that my weight didn't budge!
  • Before you go to bed set out whatever you need to use the following day to "move" if that's walking shoes, winter clothing, whatever, have it ready so that it's sitting there staring at you -- you'll have to either physically move it or just use it!!

This one is super important to keep me motivated
Thanks Hon
Before you go to bed set out whatever you need to use the following day to "move" if that's walking shoes, winter clothing, whatever, have it ready so that it's sitting there staring at you -- you'll have to either physically move it or just use it!!

Thank you @ottawamom for starting this thread!!!

Both the dh and I are both wanting and needing to loose a little weight...me more than him :eek: and motivated to try to loose some before the DD wedding in Mexico in May.

It's easier to stay on track with both of us needing to do it. He wants do a paleo food plan...for me...I just want to make better choices, smaller portions, and get a little more movement. This is a more realistic plan for us. I just feel it is unrealistic to cut out certain foods totally...I can cut out many of carbs most of the time...but darn it...if I want cheese on my spaghetti squash with meat sauce on it...I'm going to do it lol :duck: I thinks it's just making healthier choices.

I am still working 2 jobs, but the second job I have asked to NOT work more than 2-3 shifts /week. I'm still exhausted from the xmas rush, working 65-70 / week, and having zero life outside of just working, sleeping and eating. I will keep the secon job until probably April/ May. By then, with the dd wedding, the older son graduating 2 weeks later, and that same son needing a surgery this summer...I won't have any extra time to work 2 jobs. It was a temporary thing as murphy's law hit us VERY HARD and was needing the dh to work overtime and me get a second job without us adding a whole bunch of debt and still be able to be on plan to almost have zero debt when the youngest graduates...then add into there the dd destination wedding :eek: :faint: There was no way around not putting our noses to the grind for 12- 18 months to get over this hurdle.

I'm hoping now that I'm not working so much, I'll be able to find time and energy to add some movement again. Before I was just exhausted from working so much. I have repaid for my Beachbody on demand again. So I have many workout programs to choose from to get my butt moving again.

And as a side note...those quilts were beautiful!!! I'm a quilter as well...not that I've had much time the last year to sew much...but I did make one quilt I sent in to Humboldt for the community to give out to emergency workers and others in the community who stepped up during that horrible time and also was able to finish one for a very good friend.

A few years ago I found myself in a situation where I needed to work both fulltime and partime and did it for 15 years,,my thoughts and hugs are with you Hon,,you will get through this. Every once in awhile do something just for you.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

Well I got up and did a 20 minute workout. Then kiddo decided he is too sick to go to school. Again. He has been sick a lot. I know a great deal of it is anxiety he is dealing with, and we are working on ways to cope, but sometimes it is too much for him. Now I'm exhausted :) and could have slept in! Oh well! I was up in time to see that MNSSHP 2019 tickets are on sale already. And while my first instinct was to buy them, they are not in our plans or budget for this August's trip... so I'll try not to.

The dog is happy I'm home today, he is crated during the day because he gets into everything. He was confined to the kitchen at one point but I kept coming home to find him on the table and that's just gross so now he is in a crate. When we are home obviously he gets to be out and run around, and sleep on the couch. I should take him for walks but he gets a little up in other dogs faces, and I worry he'll do that to the wrong dog. We do in the spring/summer more, since I can go off the path onto the grass to avoid other puppies. In the winter we play a lot of fetch in the house and the backyard.

Now to stick to the eating today. Being at home, so many things are tempting! Plus I live almost next door to McDonalds which has $1 coffee again (in Ontario at least). I could sure use one this morning.

My BIG crash and burn re food is McDonalds,,,I slipped today and got a muffin with my coffee,,,oh well back to no more eating cake for breakfast tomorrow.
Hugs Hon
Mel

I haven't done my afternoon walk today as I had to take the uncooperative highly stressed dog to the vet to have some glands dealt with. Usually when I come home I'm bad and stress eat, but not today. I figure that's enough of a step forward for today. I did walk the dog this morning. It's the first thing I do each day, get up, throw some weather appropriate clothes on, feed the dog then walk her. Then I can do whatever I have planned for the day.

Two steps forward one step back, we'll get there.

I wonder how they would accessorize with my fleece-lined cargo pants? Too funny, I bought 2 pairs just before Christmas, the damp cold here is nasty!!!

If you should feel inspired to walk outside I have one word for you Ice Grippers . This is just one example. Costco has another version in the fall (sold out now) that I use. When I use them on I can walk on ice with confidence.

I hang my track pants and shirt on the bedroom door so they are right there when I get dressed in the morning. It's easier for me to get out the door when the kids go to school if I put my workout clothes on right after waking up/showering.

It was harder to get out this morning as I did not get enough sleep last night and woke up with a headache. But I did. However the darn headache persisted well into evening. Hubby came home to no dinner. He ended up grabbing burgers/fries at Wendy's for everyone. (wry grin). Not the healthy dinner I originally planned but I only had a dozen fries and a JR cheeseburger. Headache is now gone and I'm making the entire family go to bed at 9 pm tonight!

I just wanted to add one comment...having never met any of you, I want to say, you all look fantastic already! Please remember that throughout whatever journey you are heading down with this, to be yourself and never change that. Everybody should feel comfortable however they look, in whatever bathing suit they want to wear, wherever they are. Don't let other people project their insecurities on you.

Having said that, if you want to change yourself in whatever way, for whatever reason, then good for you. I wish you all luck, health and happiness in this endeavour.

I wonder how they would accessorize with my fleece-lined cargo pants? Too funny, I bought 2 pairs just before Christmas, the damp cold here is nasty!!!

On a serious note they only show when you wear them with your white running shoes (like me). If you wear them with black shoes or boots no one knows you have them on. On the fashion front I have lived in Ottawa long enough to know there is no such thing as fashionable in this city in the winter. You just gotta do what you gotta do to stay warm.

I just wanted to add one comment...having never met any of you, I want to say, you all look fantastic already! Please remember that throughout whatever journey you are heading down with this, to be yourself and never change that. Everybody should feel comfortable however they look, in whatever bathing suit they want to wear, wherever they are. Don't let other people project their insecurities on you.

Having said that, if you want to change yourself in whatever way, for whatever reason, then good for you. I wish you all luck, health and happiness in this endeavour.

Thank you for those kind words of encouragement. That's what this thread is about.

Today was cold but I bundled up and headed out for a good long walk with a friend. It definitely goes a lot quicker when there’s someone to chat with the whole way. She can’t walk tomorrow so I will load a podcast and head out on my own. I’m not sure who mentioned it earlier , but I hadn’t thought of listening to a podcast while walking before .. so thanks !
I ate well today,but haven’t started logging my meals yet. It’s very very important for me to pre plan what I’m going to eat for the day. When it’s planned out , there’s no emotional eating, or getting take out because we are tired and don’t know what to make. Starting tomorrow I will make my meal plans for the rest of the day while I have my breakfast in the morning .
Baby steps to health ...I’m on my way. :)

Good morning! I got up and did my 20 minute workout. I think I need to do more cardio than weights so I'll be switching that up a bit next week. I find the weights just make me hungry, sore, and certainly don't add to my step count! So maybe doing that twice a week instead of this 4 day split would be better, plus leave more time for walking which is what I need for the Disney trip... gotta work up to 20k steps after all!

My first WW day... lets see how it goes. I prefer to plan my meals in advance, makes it easier to pack my lunch and figure out what's for dinner so I don't just pick something up. At least this way I can track them all and see where I am points-wise and adjust as necessary. We'll see how it goes.

I couldn’t walk this morning. There’s is a shiny thin layer of ice on everything . I still wanted to go and then really considered what a bad fall would mean to my life..being injured would make everything too hard. So I made the smart choice and decided to go later today when it warms up and melts a little. I don’t like going later in the day but will have to today.
My food is logged for the day, and I’m all set.
I hope everyone is feeling good today!:)

Oh my gosh, yes, do not walk when it's icy outside! Too easy to break a bone. :(

I managed to get everyone (but my husband) in bed by 9:30 pm and turned off the night table light at 10 pm. Thankfully my husband did not disturb me when he came to bed. Woke up at 6 and dropped the kids off at school on my way to PF. Another hour on the treadmill and my legs don't hurt as much today. Thank goodness as between my headache and aching legs I spent most of the day on the couch yesterday. (wry grin)

Does the TV have any HDMI ports?? If so it's a simple cable from the laptop to the TV and then switch the input on the TV, maximize the window on the laptop and POOF big screen viewing. We do this ALL the time when we go to hotels, that's how we watched Harry Potter over the new year break we took AND how we kept up with our Netflix while in Disney! We keep a cable in the suitcase :P

I knew there was a way to do it...I just wasn't sure how to do it...thanks for that tip. The other half is the techie one ( he's a sparkie aka - electrician by trade ) and takes care of all of that.

It’s very very important for me to pre plan what I’m going to eat for the day.

I do the same thing. I plan my meals when making my grocery list. Go through the cupboards and see what I need to add for the meals i'm planning. I will take the protein out of the freezer in the morning, that way I know exactly what i'm making when I get home - and I can get started without any of that " trying to decide " what are we eating game when I get home. I find we also purchase less as well, as I'll try to use what I didn't get to use up for fresh veggies the previous week. And I also toss less out as well due to it spoiling before we can use it.

I couldn’t walk this morning. There’s is a shiny thin layer of ice on everything . I still wanted to go and then really considered what a bad fall would mean to my life..being injured would make everything too hard. So I made the smart choice and decided to go later today when it warms up and melts a little. I don’t like going later in the day but will have to today.
My food is logged for the day, and I’m all set.
I hope everyone is feeling good today!:)

Oh my gosh, yes, do not walk when it's icy outside! Too easy to break a bone. :(

I managed to get everyone (but my husband) in bed by 9:30 pm and turned off the night table light at 10 pm. Thankfully my husband did not disturb me when he came to bed. Woke up at 6 and dropped the kids off at school on my way to PF. Another hour on the treadmill and my legs don't hurt as much today. Thank goodness as between my headache and aching legs I spent most of the day on the couch yesterday. (wry grin)

NOOOooooo no walking in the ice/excessive cold/stifling heat! No need to end up hurting yourself. That and illness are both a perfectly good reason for giving yourself a pass on the exercise -- covers food also for me! I can't eat when it's too hot and humid, the tummy just objects and already mentioned what the gastritis does to my choices.

And as far as the "no pain, no gain" ... my Dr has told me that's a pile of poop, pain is your body's way of saying STOP! Now of course it will ache a bit when i do something i'm not used to but she told me that if it hurts so much that the following day i can't do much more than hobble around then i need to back off a bit on the intensity and give my body a bit of a chance to recover. I've also found that the older i get the longer it takes to recover from any type of injury (hello paper cut on the end of my thumb, I'm looking at YOU!) so I'm finding I need to take things a bit easier. It's also now possible to wrench my ankle by simply stepping out the door, oopsie :P

I did a u-turn on the way home from work and thought I'd try walking in Sheridan Nurseries Garden center.
While it was a lovely environment to walk around(water fountain,flowering plants,green vines etc) ,,it definitely was not big enough for a real walk.
So I purchased a plant and headed home. I went for a walk outside and was happy to see part of the trail has been cleared and salted.
I am surprised and have no idea if this always happens after a snow but it was nice today.
So my reward for walking the past 4 days is a new pink violet plant.:flower1:
Keep on moving everyone.
Hugs
Mel

I was going to go out for a walk (after my dog walk that is) it was a lovely sunny morning and not too bad a temp. Went to get ready left my bedroom to go brush my teeth and I heard a pinging sound on window. Looked out and it was a blizzard outside. It was sunny when I was in the bedroom and my house isn't that big. I don't know where this snow came from.

Decided I would do stairs instead of walking. That gets the heart racing fairly quickly. Alternative exercise you might not have thought of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter