"The Crowdedest Place On Earth" A 4th of July week trip report! Updated 7/14

rockstargeisha

Geeky Glamorous
:welcome:

Although I’m still a bit of a newbie to the DIS, I’ve been eager to put together a trip report after reading so many. So welcome to the trip report of Mandie and Julian. Now even though we’re an adult couple, we’re both kids at heart.

Who: Mandie :earsgirl:(that’s me!) and Julian :darth: (that’s my DBF). I’m a silly, outgoing Disney nut whose (who's? winnie the who? who knows?) idea it was to plan this trip. I’m 21, and am a college student studying Game Art and Design AKA video games. Julian is 26 who is easygoing and funny and always puts a smile on my face. He’s also a college student and studying graphic design.

We have been in a long distance relationship for a year and a half now and going strong. I live in Los Angeles, CA and Julian lives in New York City. We make trips to see each other about every three months. It’s difficult, but we’re both in college and working so moving is out of the question at the moment. Contrary to popular belief, long-distance relationships can work. :love:

Aside from being Disney dorks we also love video games and Star Wars. Here's us, myself with Artoo and Julian with his idol.

CIMG0479-1.jpg
julianandvader.jpg

What: Our WDW vacation but of course. Now we started planning this vacation sometime in March. I’ve been to The World a few times as a child, barely any of which I remember, but Julian has never been. His first trip to Disney was actually in September of this year to Disneyland. He didn't understand the hype at first, he thought Disneyland was "just another themepark". :eek: Now he understands the magic. Though we both now agree that we should have started planning earlier (airline ticket prices were atrocious) we were eager to actually take a vacation together and enjoy our very much needed summer breaks off.

Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge. The most amazing hotel I have ever stayed at. I can't wait to return.

When: July 2nd through July 7th. Hello crowds, how are you?!

We hope you enjoy our trippie-report. Stay tuned!

P.S. I know crowdedest isn't a word. :p

I awoke very early and my Dad kindly drove me to the airport to make my 6:45 am flight time. The flight was long and draining, I hate flying and I get awful sinus headaches when the plane is descending. :headache: I was relieved when we landed.

Anyhow, I arrived in Orlando at 4:05 pm and Julian was there to greet me with a huge hug as he had arrived about 2 hours earlier. We quickly gathered my bags and headed to Magical Express. We loved the bus video! Niether of us had seen it before and afterwhich we were pumped to arrive. We first dropped passengers off at POP! and then arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were so excited, shaking around in our seats like anxious kids.

The hotel was beautiful, we were stunned. The pictures we've viewed on the DIS do not do it justice, if you haven't stayed there Julian and I can't recommend it enough. We both agreed we don't ever want to stay anywhere else, lol.

We checked in with ease and made the long, long, long trek to our room on the Kudu trail. We were the second to last room on the trail on the second floor, lol. We had booked a standard view room but when we opened the curtains there were animals! We also were suprised when we saw a towel Mickey! :banana:

Our towel Mickey looking very stylish.
CIMG0597.jpg

Our lovely room, we got a kick out of the mosquito netting, nice touch.
CIMG0598.jpg

First animal we spotted from our balcony, an eland I believe it's called.
CIMG0601.jpg

After unpacking we decided to head over to Downtown Disney for dinner and to buy me some Minnie Ears. The bus had just arrived when we got to the depot, and this became a lucky treat nearly everytime we needed to catch a bus.

We decided on Wolfgang Puck Express for dinner since Earl of Sandwich had a ridiculous line. Julian ordered the 4 cheese mac n' cheese with chicken and I had the BBQ chicken salad. Both were so delicious. The mac n' cheese was probably the best I've had. Aside from the crispy strips on my salad being slightly stale the it was excellent. Portion size was nice for the price. The service was great as well, very friendly and checked us on twice to make sure everything was fine.

Wolfgang Puck Express receives a 4/5 from us.

CIMG0607.jpg
CIMG0606.jpg

After dinner it started to drizzle, we checked out the Pins shop and then headed into Once Upon a Toy store to make our own lightsabers. We were slightly dissapointed with this, I wanted a blue saber but they were out of blue chips and Julian made a double sided saber that only lit up on one side. :confused3 We opted not to purchase it and headed over to the World of Disney. That store is overwhelming, we had no idea where to begin! I got my Minnie ears though! :banana: After wandering around WOD we checked out the Lego store, where I oogled Star Wars lego sets.

CIMG0619.jpg

Next up was Pleasure Island and the Adventurer's Club. I have been hearing about this place on all the Disney communities I frequent and just had to check it out. Julian treated me to a KUNGALOOSH and he opted to get a long island ice tea, the strongest he's had and boy was it. I've never tasted anything so strong in my life, lol. The kungaloosh on the otherhand was delicious and tasted dangerlously like a smoothie. We watched a hilarious show in the library. We loved the joke about the racoons and the manatee. I hope some of you know what I'm talking about? Unless maybe it's improvised? :rotfl2:

CIMG0623.jpg

After Adventurer's we decided to call it a night and get some rest for our early morning start at Magic Kingdom. Day 2 coming soon! Thanks for reading everyone. :)

Great report so far. We love AKL as well.

Just wanted to let you know I was in a long distance relationship for almost 2 years...I was in NY and then Florida and my then boyfriend/fiance and now DH was living in Mexico (he was playing music with his reggae band). In August, we are together 14 years and Dec. 1st married 11 years.

Cannot wait to read more!

Thanks everyone for hopping aboard!

To Avivasmom, I'm so happy for you and your husband. It's comforting to know other long distance relationships have worked. :)

Day 2, The Magic Kingdom
Our alarm went off at 7am. I totally forgot about the Mickey/Stitch wake-up call, maybe it's best that way? lol Anyhow, I was pumped to get the day going and quickly opened the curtains to check for animals. There were! I pulled Julian out of bed to come look. I quickly grabbed both my regular camera and digital to start snapping photos.

CIMG0628.jpg
CIMG0627.jpg

You'll notice the fencing on the left picture. Our room was on the Kudu trail and the second to last room from the end. There were some sort of stable beyond that fencing and that's where some of the construction was. We booked a standard room and expected to see a parking lot. However we were pleased when we got this view instead.

For those wondering about construction, yes there was just to the left of us but it never bothered us. The sliding glass doors are really good about blocking out noise. There was a water troft and a feeding area where keepers placed hay daily right outside our balcony. This made for lots of animal viewing.

Ok! Back to our day. After getting dressed we left our room at 7:30 with coffee and breakfast in hand. We aren't big breakfast eaters so we brought all our own breakfast snacks from home. I even brought travel coffee cups so I could bring my coffee with me inside the park.

The Magic Kingdom bus was at the depot when we arrived, alright! We made it to the MK just as it was opening to other resort guests for EMH.

CIMG0631.jpg

After this picture I told Julian to wait outside City Hall. I brought him out a "1st Visit" button and he proudly put it on. We took our time walking down Main Street. There's something about seeing the castle that just makes you feel happy. I like to visit MK first on Disney vacations because I think the park captures the epitome of Disney magic.

CIMG0632.jpg

We got our photopass! We love this lil' card (super conveinent), though when we got home we realized the pictures on my camera were way better! The lighting in a lot of our photopass pictures were awful.

CIMG0633.jpg

CIMG0641.jpg

CIMG0637.jpg

First up was Buzz Lightyear, no wait so that sounded good to us. Julian scored 100k+ while I'll only got 24k. :mad:

After Buzz we checked out the Arcade where we played the Star Wars pod racer game. I love that game and it's only at a few select arcades I've ever been to so I was a very happy camper. Julian came out the winner at this too...:snooty:

We grabbed fastpasses for Space Mountain and opted to return later. Off to Fantasyland! Philharmagic was up next. We had some fun waiting in the queue.

CIMG0642.jpg

The show was a lot of fun and the effects were nice but we had some issues with our glasses. Both our right eyes were blurry throughout the whole show. The portion where the screens met messed with what we saw, it was distracting. Not too big a deal but I'd like to see the show again without that. :)

By this time Adventureland had opened and it was off to Pirates! It's quite different from the Disneyland version I'm used to. I think I may prefer the WDW one now. ;) After Pirates was the Jungle Cruise and it was a bit dissapointing. The skippers really make or break that ride for me. I'm not sure if it was because she wasn't warmed up but our skipper just wasn't pumped or into the spiel at all. It sounded like she was reciting from a script and there was barely any emotion behind her voice. Oh well.

I've always wanted to go on Aladdin's carpets and I finally got my chance. The ride is adorable and actually really fun. Julian and I got a kick out of raising the carpet with the lever.

Don't you love it when the characters are just coming out so there's no line? We do!
CIMG0645.jpg

Continued in Part 2...

Part 2

By this time our Space Mtn. fast passes were up so we took a whirl on that, much fun! We were getting rumbly in our tummies so we decided it best to get a snack. Julian has never had a corndog (so sad!) so after reading on the DIS that the only ones available were at Casey's you can guess where we went next.

They were soooo good. The outside was perfectly crisp and melted in our mouths. Julian couldn't stop talking about them the rest of our trip. :rotfl:

CIMG0648.jpg

Toontown was our next stop. I love meeting the characters so off to the Judge's Tent. OMG the lines. :scared1: It was 40minutes for the princesses and 30 for the others. I wasn't too upset I knew we could find the characters in Epcot and that the lines would certainly be shorter. We checked out Mickey and Minnie's house and decided we'd had enough of Toon Town.

By this time the sun was shining and it was getting hot (Florida sun+humidity=nasty) so Splash Mtn. was next on the agenda. Of course many others were thinking the same so the wait was up to 90 minutes. We love Fast Pass though! Walking back over to Adventureland we checked out a bit of Dream Along with Mickey but again the sun was beating down on us so that didn't last long.

CIMG0655.jpg

We headed back over to Adventureland and checked out the Tiki Room...oh man it's so awful. Iago is so obnoxious, I wish they had just kept the original. It's not because I'm a purist for Disney attractions but just because the "new management" version is horrendous. I apologize if I offend anyone. :scared:

It was about time for lunch now and we decided on El Pirata y El Perico. Julian and I both decided on the tostada. We also ordered two cups of water since I brought crystal lite drink mix to save money, hehe. The tostadas were delicious, the fillings/toppings bar was a great idea. You can't really see, but there's meat, cheese, and beans hiding under the lettuce.

CIMG0654.jpg

After lunch was Splash Mountain which cooled us off quite a bit. We walked around Frontierland a bit and Liberty Sq. and then headed to Main Street to scope out a seat for the parade. We found a spot on the curb in a tiny spec of shade thanks to a hanging flower basket, lol. Good enough for us!

CIMG0657.jpg
CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0668.jpg

After the parade Julian and I decided it best to head back to the hotel to rest up and cool off before Wishes and Spectromagic in the evening.

We got back to our room and found this little cutie!
CIMG0669.jpg

CIMG0671.jpg
The animals were also out in full force. These two anikole cattle were mooing and circling around each other for a good while, later they moved to the feed pile where we caught this pic...

CIMG0673.jpg

After the cattle antics we hit up the beautiful AKL pool. It was pretty quiet for the first half hour, we got quite few runs on the slide and tossed around a basketball but it got packed fast. We took this a sign to head back to the room to get cleaned up to head back to MK for dinner, Wishes, and SpectroMagic.

We decided on Tommorowland Terrace for dinner. We both ordered the beef bowl (we don't mean to keep ordering the same) and it was mediocre. I forgot to get a pic of this, so sorry. It was just a take out container with some rice and veggies, nothing spectacular.

We hopped aboard Thunder Mountain and wandered around Liberty Sq. We checked out Ye Old Christmas Shop I believe it's called and met a very nice cast member. I'm not a die hard pin collector but I do love to trade, I think it's a fun activity to take part in. I failed to notice that the castmember's lanyard was green (the kids trade only color) and asked her if I could look at her pins. Well she quickly corrected me and we chatted about her time here in Florida and that she used to be a school teacher. After chatting a while, she offered us a castmember exclusive pin of Chip and Dale with a dole whip. It was very kind of her, both Julian and myself were very appreciative.

After walking around we decided it was about time for funnel cake! We headed over to Sleepy Hollow and purchased a plain cake with powdered sugar. It was very delicious, a lil too cruncy for my liking but delicious none the less. We remained seated at Sleepy Hollow and caught the preview of the 4th of July fireworks. They were great!

To close the night we watched Spectromagic. Those clowns creep me out...other than that it was great, very beautiful! I dozed off on the ride home and settled into bed to get ready for Animal Kingdom and Fourth of July!!

Thanks for reading. :)

Man, those were some good Corndogs. ::yes::
And watching that one Ankole trying to move the other one off the hay was hilarious! Stay tuned everyone, the trip gets better!

rockstargeisha- Great trip report so far! I'm enjoying it thanks for writing! The view out of your room is fantastic! I'm gonna have to go check out the AKL now after all the wonderful things I've heard about it!

Roxas- Dumb question for you but is your name from Kingdom Hearts? :3dglasses

It certainly is! The Kingdom Hearts games are in my opinion the best Disney based games ever! Glad to see people recognize the name. :thumbsup2

rockstargeisha- Great trip report so far! I'm enjoying it thanks for writing! The view out of your room is fantastic! I'm gonna have to go check out the AKL now after all the wonderful things I've heard about it!

Roxas- Dumb question for you but is your name from Kingdom Hearts? :3dglasses

Thanks for hopping aboard! Yah, I was really surprised with what a good room view we had. You most certainly need to look into staying there, it's an amazing hotel. :love:

I am loving your trip report and the pictures. You two are adorable. The AKL is my new favorite. That place is amazing. We stayed there for the very first time this past December. I want to go back sometime with just my DH and myself. Can't wait to read more !!! :cheer2:

I just caught up on your first couple of days---WOW:woohoo: Great pictures of the animals at your resort! I have heard great things about AKL. I'm so glad you two are enjoying your trip!:banana:

I am loving your trip report and the pictures. You two are adorable. The AKL is my new favorite. That place is amazing. We stayed there for the very first time this past December. I want to go back sometime with just my DH and myself. Can't wait to read more !!! :cheer2:

Thank you so much for the sweet compliment. :goodvibes

As you can tell we love AKL too, it's going to be hard to want to stay anywhere else on our next trip, hehe.

I just caught up on your first couple of days---WOW:woohoo: Great pictures of the animals at your resort! I have heard great things about AKL. I'm so glad you two are enjoying your trip!:banana:

Thanks for reading. :)

It's Day 3 time!

Today was Animal Kingdom day for us and we were both very excited to ride Expedition Everest. Julian hasn't stopped talking about the Yeti since we saw it briefly on the Travel Channel special. :rotfl:

We awoke again for EMH at 7am. Our breakfast included coffee, nutrigrain bars and cereal bars. Boring, but it got the job done.

This beauty was outside our window when we awoke:

CIMG0674.jpg

Off to the buses! We met a very nice couple from Canada on our bus. We shared advice about getting onto EE. Since we knew it can get crowded fast we told them to make EE their first ride stop of the day. We actually ended up bumping into them again on our bus ride back to AKL later in the day, funny how that happens.

We arrived at the park in short time since it's right next door to AKL. :thumbsup2 I quickly finished my coffee and into the park we went. Julian and I jogged to EE and there was already quite a line. This baffles me, where do these people come from and what time do they get up?! We got there right at 8am, I do not understand, lol.

Anyhow Julian stood in line while I quickly got us fastpasses for later on. Yay team effort. I love the queue for this ride! The Yeti shrines and statues were a nice touch, so detailed. Oh Disney Imagineering how I love thee.

We waited about 20 minutes (not bad!) and got our chance on EE. It was so much fun! I loved it! The Yeti totally freaked me out, I was on the right side and squished into Julian to avoid it, haha. Mandie=wimp.

After EE we made our way over to Kilimanjaro Safari. We grabbed a pretzel, pear, and frosty lemonade from Harambe Fruit Market. You can tell how filling our breakfast was...Julian and I both agreed that WDW hot pretzels are the best ones out there.

This was probably our longest line of the day, about 30 minutes. I think hitting up Kilimanjaro in the morning is a good idea. The animals for the most part are awake and walking around. We caught some pretty good pics:

Elephant and white rhino:
CIMG0680.jpg
CIMG0677.jpg

We also saw some bongos, alligators, lions, and gazelles; however it was hard to get photos with the vehicle moving.

We also checked out the Gorilla exhibit. Julian's never seen one in person before!

CIMG0682.jpg
CIMG0683.jpg

After the safari our second time on EE was up! I think I liked it the second time better, I knew when the Yeti was coming so I wasn't as freaked out. :lmao:

We grabbed a fastpass for Kali River Rapids and then decided to check out the Lion King Show. I've been looking forward to this since I started planning this vacation. I've seen it once before but barely remember it. The one difference I took note of was that the center portion looks different. I don't remember the tumble monkeys. I remember more birds and more flying. Maybe I'm going crazy, haha.

CIMG0689.jpg

Regardless of what I remember it was an amazing show! Julian and I loved it, we were on the lion side and made sure to growl as loud as we could. Where better to be dorky than at Disney?

As we excited Lion King we noticed Mickey and friends were out for character Meet n' Greets. Mickey was the only one without a line :confused3 so we hustled over. He was so cute! He kept looking at me all doe eyed and turning his back to Julian. It must have been my Minnie ears.

CIMG0690.jpg

It was getting toasty at this point so we were glad it was time for Kali. I warned Julian we may get drenched, he wanted to :confused: , but thankfully we only got a few damp spots.

We hopped aboard the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. When we got there the talking trash can (forget it's name) was entertaining a young girl. It was adorable, I wish I had caught a picture. We caught the vet clinic doing some work on a mandrill. She had a tooth infection and some sinus problems. I was fascinated with this, I think we stood there for 20 minutes watching. I watch Animal Planet all the time at home so this was a treat to see it in person.

We checked out the sounds of the rainforest room which was very interesting. Jiminy and Rafiki made an appearance but not Pocohantas. That's ok, I've never met Jiminy before so I was excited.

CIMG0693.jpg

Watch out! Wooden rhino on the loose!
CIMG0694.jpg

It started to drizzle on our way back to the train, we caught look of a baby armadillo on our way out, and we decided it was about lunch time.

We made our way over to Tusker House. I've been hearing nothing but great things about this CS so I was super excited to try it for myself. I ordered the fried chicken sandwhich and Julian had the salmon plate. Both were fantastic! That was the best fried chicken sandwhich I've ever had, it was so crispy and warm, I enjoyed it very much. Julian's salmon was good too, he was kind enough to share a bite.

CIMG0697.jpg

By this time it had really started to rain. I pulled out the ponchos I had brought from home and when we put them on they had no sleeves...Sleeveless ponchos? Yah, we didn't get it either. At least they kept our bags dry. :laughing:

We then checked out the Maharaj Jungle Trek. I hoped the tigers were visible and they were!

CIMG0702.jpg
CIMG0703.jpg

We decided to call it a day at AK at this point. It was getting pretty chilly in our sleeveless ponchos and we wanted to get rested up for Fourth of July fireworks. On our way out a castmember handed us each a plastic flag pin, very festive!

After getting cleaned up and rested we checked out the resort shop and the lobby. The AKL is so beautiful, I could sit in front of the firepit above Victoria Falls for hours.

Julian had a surprise planned for us tonight so I was very anxious and excited to find out what it was. He told me we needed to go to Port Orleans Riverside and getting there was quite the ordeal. We got off at the wrong stop initially, but after about an hour of transportation we finally made it. We had some time to kill before the surprise so we checked out the gift shop and then grabbed a snack and sat outside.

Lovely rainbow we spotted from POR.
CIMG0705.jpg

Finally Julian revealed our surprise! We were going a carriage ride through Port Orleans resort. :love: This was so romantic and everyone was waving to us as we rode by. Julian then presented me with a very lovely diamond heart bracelet that I adore.

Here's us with Ned our horse:
CIMG0706.jpg

Julian wasn't sure how I'd react to missing the fireworks but honestly how could I complain when he went through the trouble of researching something special to surprise me with and then keeping it a secret? Plus, we still had time to get to Epcot for Illuminations!

We had already caught the MK fireworks the previous night thanks to the preview and I wanted to avoid MK like the plague anyhow. There was no way we were going to try to smoosh in with the crowds there.

Yes, Epcot was packed but there's A LOT more standing room there than at MK. We settled on a spot in Germany I think? I can't even remember, it was impossible to see what pavillion we were in, lol. Illuminations was really neat, we'd both never seen it before. We walked through World Showcase briefly and then decided it best to call it a night.

CIMG0711.jpg

We got back to the room and were both starving. Unfortunately Mara had closed at 11 and it was now 11:30. Thankfully room service was still open and we ordered the hummus sampler plate and angus cheeseburger. Julian's burger was excellent. My hummus sampler was ok, I would have preferred pita bread, not chips. One hummus was an olive flavor and the other I wasn't familiar with but it was tasty. The potato chips that came with the burger were excellent; very crunchy and greasy. :laughing:

CIMG0716.jpg
CIMG0717.jpg

After our meal we crashed. We were absolutely exhausted but it was another great day! Thanks everyone for reading.

Epcot day is up next!

How sweet for him to plan the carriage ride !!!! :love: Actually I think that was great planning. As tempting as it would be to see those fireworks at the MK I can't imagine the crowds :scared1: .....and that is IF you would have been able to get in. I am extremely impressed that on the 4th your longest line was 30 minutes and that you rode EE twice. :thumbsup2 You are good planners. We have taken the train over to rafiki's planet watch. However where was the building where you met Jiminy Cricket? We have never seen him and I know my teen daughter would love to see him:yay: He must have been in an area that we have never been to. I am enjoying this because I want to see how it REALLY is when people go to the parks over the 4th of July Holiday. Keep up the report !!! :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter