The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

I have a vague memory that it was not running the resort route for some reason? Then again, I could be all wet and indeed took a mono. There was a period there where the GF and Poly stations were out of commission but now I'm not certain which trip last year it was.
I need to remember that your trip was almost a year ago. I know that the Epcot monorail was closed for a long time and they ran buses from the monorail resorts during that period. But I don't know when they started running the Epcot monorail again.

DSH opened at 9:00 and this is where I was at 9:03- Irritated and stuck behind far too many people. But whatcha gonna do?
That happened to us during one of our trips. We got a late start and arrived at DHS right at 9am. It took a full 1/2 hour to get through the touch posts. It was maddening, especially since we were staying at the YC and there was really no excuse not to get to DHS during EE for resort guests.

I hate when this happens and your stuck in line.
It's the WORST!! That's PRIME park time and I hate it being wasted!
I love all the little hidden gems around the parks.
Me too! There are a ton of them in the Docking Bay restaurant as well. :)
I did not know this and never noticed this hidden Mickeys. Very cool.
It's so fun to find them around the parks!
It's my favorite thrill ride and of course the theming is top notch.
I think it's definitely in my top 3- Hard to choose between this one, BTMRR, and FOP.... not even sure if FOP counts as a "thrill ride" but holy smokes that is an amazing ride!

I need to remember that your trip was almost a year ago. I know that the Epcot monorail was closed for a long time and they ran buses from the monorail resorts during that period. But I don't know when they started running the Epcot monorail again.
Yes, there was quite a long period of no monos; I know for SURE they weren't running during FArts last year because my daughter Mikki and I FROZE one evening trying to wait for a bus at the Poly because the mono station was not done. But then for this trip I think it was the Grand's station that was being renno'd. But again, this is vague recolloections. I think the TTC line was running but not the resort/EPCOT line. (?)
That happened to us during one of our trips. We got a late start and arrived at DHS right at 9am. It took a full 1/2 hour to get through the touch posts. It was maddening, especially since we were staying at the YC and there was really no excuse not to get to DHS during EE for resort guests.
Yeah, this just seemed very ill-run to me. I was deluxe resort and an AP holder and had no EM perk whatsoever. The icing on the cake was ROTR being down for the entire morning AND having to wait nearly an hour in line when it broke down again. OY!

J is for: Just Good Times with Good Friends

Blister crisis averted, I made my way back to Galaxy's Edge and diddled around until ROTR opened. Unfortunately, when it did, and I was fully committed to the line, it broke down. I decided to tough it out and ended up wasting about an hour for it to open again. At least they let all of us that were already in line stay in line. And I was relieved that I was in the breezeway in the shade for most of that time. I was not very happy. I was extremely thirsty and risking some nasty dehydration. Not cool!

What DID make me happy though was the salad I got at the Docking Bay after making it safely to the Rebel Base!

Peka Tuna Poke Raw Tuna tossed in a Spicy Sriracha Dressing and served with Green Papaya Salad, Pickled Mushrooms, Fresh Herbs, and Crispy Garlic $17.99

While not exactly as I'd pictured it given the description, this was very, very good! Everything was very fresh and the tuna was really nice- not fishy at all and quite smooth. I'd eat here again in a heartbeat for a light, NON-burger-y option in a cool place.

*Steppe's Side Note*

Did I mention I have a strict "NO burgers" policy at Disney? I can get a burger at home any day of the week and I love to use vacation time as opportunities to try new things that I wouldn't normally order or make at home.

*End of opinionated Side Note* (carry on)

Anyway, it was equally as good as HBD for a salad for a lot less money. Granted you won't get any of that amazing bread served with the seasalt they serve at HBD either. And I'll still go to HBD for an apricot sour to toast Gramma. ;) But didn't this trip. Instead, I had been texting back and forth with Chad and Renee and we decided to meet up in the Tune-In Lounge for a quick drink before doing a couple rides. When you can actually score a '50's retro, atomic era chair, it's a great little lounge to cool your jets in. The drinks are hefty for Disney and I feel like you actually get some booze for your bang. I think I had a Long Island Iced Tea, but the highlight of the Tune-In Time was just getting to hang out with this really nice family.

We spent about 30 minutes in there and then their DAS return time was up for MF:SR and they were kind enough to invite me along. This was a lot of fun because Chad let me be featured in their "Main Street Party of Four" Vlog episode. I'm pretty sure I have a future in stardom after this! Still waiting for an agent to discover me and offer that contract worth enough to retire. :rolleyes:

By then, their family was feeling ready for some heavy snacks and there really is no better place right now in DHS than Baseline. Their pretzels that come with beer-cheese fondue and spicy mustard for $9 are pretty good, as well as the mini-charcuterie for $11, and my favorite, the:

Coffee-Rubbed Rib-Eye Beef Puff, with olive salad $11.00 I love this little number and for me it's really big enough for a meal.

Stock photo of the Beef Puff Pastry:

1661183844034.png

The boys and I had a really great time as they showed me the games they love to play on iPads and we all just super enjoyed hanging out and chatting. Chad was busy "interviewing" folks sitting around us for their Vlog and being the people-person he is. After our snacks, I was getting tuckered out and wanted to rest before meeting up with some others for dinner that night. I took a bus (rather than a Lyft) because... and this is such an odd reason I know!,.... I really love the music loop at the DHS Entrance and Bus Corral area. It's Disney music but with a 40s Swing-style twist. It's available on YouTube if you want to cue it up and enjoy!

Next up: Dinner at the Toledo!

Last edited:

Did I mention I have a strict "NO burgers" policy at Disney? I can get a burger at home any day of the week and I love to use vacation time as opportunities to try new things that I wouldn't normally order or make at home.
I have a no burger policy at WDW, too. I focus on fish and other foods that I normally don't get at home.

By then, their family was feeling ready for some heavy snacks and there really is no better place right now in DHS than Baseline.
We need to check this place out. We haven't tried Tune In Lounge, either, but I've heard lots of good things about it.

K is for: King of Steakhouses!

All rested up after time at the bunglow, I set out again, this time by Lyft to the Coronado/Grand Destino. I had a very special dinner with Steve and Su-Lynn planned for TOLEDO!!

Relatively new to the Disney steakhouse scene, this is an extremely well done and quite classy place. The decor is a decidedly surrealist, 1930's avant garde space inspired by Spanish artist Salvador Dali who teamed up with Walt himself on at least one project. Did you know the Grand Destino hotel is themed after their collaborative work- a short called Destino. Folks, this is an incredibly unique film in that, while Walt and Dali began work together in 1945, the film work was shelved until it was released in 2003!! Below is a very detailed history of the, in my opinion, bizarre story. (But isn't that what you'd expect from the guy who was best known for warped, melting clocks?) :

https://www.parkwestgallery.com/5-facts-you-may-not-know-about-destino/

The Toledo Restaurant is an extension of this space that commemorates this unlikely duo's partnership and its bar, the Dahlia Lounge, which houses some of the photographs of the two working and hanging out together. It's really quite fascinating for the Disney history buff type!

The view is amazing if you choose to sit on the balcony outside:

Aside from the architecture and decor, the restaurant is billed as a Signature Steakhouse and, as such, does serve some very good steaks. In addition, the menu is inspired by Spanish flavors and has bruschetta, traditional tapas, fish, chicken, etc... Here is the menu if you're interested to peruse:

https://allears.net/dining/menu/toledo/dinner/

The 3 of us got the:

Chef's Signature Dinner for Two Flight of Four Pinxtos, The Spanaird, Chuletón Bone-In Rib-Eye, 'The Toledo Tapas Bar Dessert'- $129 and it was plenty for all of us and then some. The portions are very generous for sure! I nibbled on this and that from the meal, but I'm a small eater for the most part. We had a marvelous time and I was again blessed by generous friends who paid for my meal. Thank you SO much, @chunkymonkey You guys are the bestest!! :hug: (Is Su-Lynn even here on the DIS anymore?)

The meal was amazing! Here are the dishes included:

The Spaniard for Two, Chefs' signature selection of artisanal charcuterie and cheeses $35

Flight of Four Pinxtos, Chilled Mussels ‘Escabèche’, Olive Oil-poached Tuna with Lemon , ‘Tortilla Española’ Spanish Potato Omelet, Valdeón Blue Cheese with Fig and Honey $12

'Chuleton' 28-oz Bone-In Rib-Eye for Two, tomato, onions, choice of two house sides $89

Olive Oil-Potato Puree, manchego, arbequina oil, cracked pepper $8

Brussles Sprouts, $8

We ordered an extra:

Charred Octopus, Patatas and Chimichurri $15

Classic Coffee Catalana, Valencia orange, chocolate tuile $8

After dinner, we all went downstairs to the Barcelona Lounge which is on the 1st floor of the Tower and met up with Chad and Renee again for a nightcap. They are friends with one of the bartenders there and wanted us to meet him. I ordered a Spanish Coffee which was absolutely delicious and perfect to end my evening with. But Holy Toledo; was it strong! I'm glad I took a Lyft back to the Poly after my fun evening with everyone.

I have a no burger policy at WDW, too. I focus on fish and other foods that I normally don't get at home.
I crave a good burger about once or twice a year. Just not a big fan. But especially tend to steer clear of theme park burgers. I'm with ya. I try to get the things that are a bit more unique or special to the places I eat. :)
We need to check this place out. We haven't tried Tune In Lounge, either, but I've heard lots of good things about it.
I really like Baseline especially if you can find a place outside in the shade. The indoor seating area gets pretty loud and I don't mind the warm air outside in the shade. :) Tune In is a very 50's kitchy kind of place and it's fun for it's theming.

I've been MIA and just got all caught up. Congrats on passing that test!! Thanks for sharing your trip. As always, your pictures are fantastic!
Thanks!!! I was wondering where some of my regular readers had gone! You being one!! So many have disappeared lately!

Two more big heavy-hitter classes to go... I shall conquer!! LOL!!

You are very welcome! I was REALLY on the fence about doing one as it's pretty old stuff now. By now most have ridden Remy, seen Harmonious, Enchanted, etc.... But I promised I would, so am. ;)

The decor is a decidedly surrealist, 1930's avant garde space inspired by Spanish artist Salvador Dali who teamed up with Walt himself on at least one project.
I never heard about the collaboration between these two creative men, but it makes sense. :)

The restaurant is gorgeous and I'm sure that the view is worth the trip. :)

I love all your posts!
Your AK day is my perfect day as well! We have to tour together!
The bungalow is absolutely beautiful, how wonderful to stay there and experience the amenities. The view and deck look amazing
We love Baseline Tap house, such a fun place to hang out with very good small bites! Don’t tell Disney the prices are actually reasonable here.
I loved eating at Toledo! I had the filet and it was delicious. I love the decorations at Destino! A favorite of mine.
I’m glad you were able to meet up with some “Epic” friends!

You are very welcome! I was REALLY on the fence about doing one as it's pretty old stuff now. By now most have ridden Remy, seen Harmonious, Enchanted, etc.... But I promised I would, so am. ;)
I am also glad you are writing a report as I am the person who hasn't ridden any of these rides and it will be a long time before I head back to Disney. I was last at a Disney park in January 2017 when my sister and I went to Disneyland for my retirement trip. I was last at DisneyWorld in 2011 so bring on the photos and reporting.

If you're here and reading, I'd love to see a howdy!
Well, I'm here and I'm reading, so howdy!

Honestly, there have been so many updates since I last checked in I can't even remember where I left off. So if you don't mind, I'll just jump in here and go if that's ok. I haven't had a lot of DIS time this summer, but hopefully I'll be able to do a better job of keeping up now that I'll be home for a while!

And congratulations on passing your exam, Liesa! Great news!

I never heard about the collaboration between these two creative men, but it makes sense. :)
Such a fun discovery in the archives for sure. It's great to have a bit of original source material left. :yes:
The restaurant is gorgeous and I'm sure that the view is worth the trip. :)
I've had cocktails up there a couple of times now (didn't on this trip) and it's a really nice venue with a view for sure. Very laid back with VERY tasty treats! I'd highly recommend the ham and cheese baguette.

I love all your posts!
Aw, thanks! Sometimes I just really don't want to carry my big camera around and always wonder how my cell phone pix are going to turn out.
Your AK day is my perfect day as well! We have to tour together!
I've been saying that for so long. I think there are a few of us that would tour very well together and I really wonder if a little group could be brought together to make a trip next year. Let's talk!!

The bungalow is absolutely beautiful, how wonderful to stay there and experience the amenities. The view and deck look amazing
It truly is. Really an amazing place- so calming and beautiful. That view never gets old!
We love Baseline Tap house, such a fun place to hang out with very good small bites! Don’t tell Disney the prices are actually reasonable here.
It super is. Great for a cider and a good place to sit a spell. I did have a hard time finding seating the last time I was there (the trip after this?) and had to stand in the sun for a bit before a seat opened up.
I loved eating at Toledo! I had the filet and it was delicious. I love the decorations at Destino! A favorite of mine.
It's sooooo good! I could easily just go to the Dahlia for a light dinner for sure!
I’m glad you were able to meet up with some “Epic” friends!
For sure!! I love their company when I'm able to catch up with them.

I am also glad you are writing a report as I am the person who hasn't ridden any of these rides and it will be a long time before I head back to Disney. I was last at a Disney park in January 2017 when my sister and I went to Disneyland for my retirement trip. I was last at DisneyWorld in 2011 so bring on the photos and reporting.
I always hem and haw when it's time to start. But once I do I'm glad I do. I REALLY hope I can finish the last 4 days before I leave!

I will share all of the remaining adventures and love that you are enjoying it! I hope that by seeing it all you can know what worked for me and what I didn't love. More photos and stories coming up.....

Well, I'm here and I'm reading, so howdy!

Honestly, there have been so many updates since I last checked in I can't even remember where I left off. So if you don't mind, I'll just jump in here and go if that's ok. I haven't had a lot of DIS time this summer, but hopefully I'll be able to do a better job of keeping up now that I'll be home for a while!

And congratulations on passing your exam, Liesa! Great news!
Well, howdy, Partner! Welcome home from the Tourney!

I know! I sort of blasted them out rapid fire style and they're gonna keep on coming until they're done too. ;) I don't expect you to comment on them all; I know EXACTLY the feeling of being hopelessly behind after being gone. Thank you for checking in and do enjoy as you can! I always just "jump in" where I am as well so carry on!

Thanks for the vote of confidence and congrats! Next terms starts in November and it'll be back to the grindstone and very little DISTime again.

L is for: Long-Awaited Laughs!

(Click Here>>)
Your Steppe Trip Report Mood Music; Cue it up and come along! (<<Click there)

to another installment of kicks and giggles!

I had two goals this day- Ride Remy on opening day (for the regular plebes like me) and grab a few 50th Anniversary (dated Oct. 1st) merch items. Of course getting a couple of F&W snacks is never a bad use of time either.

Remy was virtual queue only and I was lucky enough to grab Boarding Group 17 at exactly 7:00AM!! GO ME!!!! That meant I didn't have to super rush, but couldn't really dilly-dally either.

I tapped in at 8:02 and followed the crowd to the (then) new Creations Store where Mousegears (RIP) used to be and got in line. I knew it'd open quickly and sure enough within a few minutes they had start letting groups of 100 or so in at a time.

Luckily, I was in that first group and easily found 2 more Limited Edition pins and a 2021 F&W pin for my collection. Actually, one of these days, I will choose 2 of the pins to sell but can't choose which one to keep yet. :) Somehow my pin collection is missing and I suspect it's in one of the 3 or 4 boxes I haven't quite unpacked yet.

6FC06090-BE0C-45C8-948E-8B343F924A9F.jpeg

I also bought a t-shirt:

1661393280072.png
....that is packed for my trip in a couple of weeks. :) Yes, I'm that kind of packer. ;)

Successful in my treasure hunt, it was time to mosey back towards France to see what all the fuss was about. Since I'd skipped Canada and the UK on my first pass through WS, I paid a little love to each. Being so early, and with none of the shops or restaurants or even F&W kiosks open, I enjoyed some very empty space and could get some decent non-people-y photos. I really love the light on the flower gardens in both of these pavilions!

Never noticed these in Canada before:

Did you know that at one time you could for reals mail a letter from this post box? Last I had heard it's sealed up now, but the pick up times are still there. Has anyone tried to open it lately? Who misses the good old days when the phones here and in Morocco actually worked? Did you try them out? We sure did!! Even got someone to answer them a few times!

My time stamps tell me I was at France at 9:42 so I was about 1 hour and 45 minutes after park opening until my boarding group was called. The app had said 165 minutes, so it was quite a lot quicker than that! I tapped in and right off the bat, really loved the queue. This was the first time I'd seen it with the construction fence down and was so tickled at how well it's done. I love the French wrought iron work, the extended mansard rooflines/architecture, and all the cute flower boxes on the windows. The restaurant marquis is so perfect and made me want to visit Ratatouille's for some of Remy's famous cooking adventures!!

The queue was zooming along very quickly and really isn't much in terms of being themed at all. In reality, it's honestly one of the more boring queues they've built in a while. Here's a video of the queue on premiere day: Sorry for the quality. I'm NOT a Vlogger and I was trying to just soak it all in for myself!

Once I got to the loading corrals, the ride theming became really intense. It's VERY well done and the "show" starts immediately when you load. The 3D glasses go on and you're suddenly rat-sized and getting into trouble. I like the trackless ride systems as they don't make my neck feel like Uncle Guido is practicing chiropractic adjustments on someone who just insulted his grandma's meatballs. Sure, it can be a bit wild, but not in a rough, jerking way. Like RnRC.

Remy and I made a grand meal of some savory ratatouille and everyone was happy and well-fed in the end! Phew! It was a close call, but cooking adventures can sometimes be that way.

I didn't bother to video it after 18 seconds because it's crap being 3D so gave up. There are plenty of YouTubes out there if you really want to watch it.

With kitchen success, it was time to move on; all that food-themed riding cooked up a righteous appetite! By now, the F&W kiosks were open; early no less!

I found myself back at the UK at the Ireland Kiosk eager for one of my Festival Faves several years running now:

Fisherman’s Seafood Pie – $6.75

YUM!

It's soooo good, and soooo filling. But fear not, Friends. It may be filling, but Steppe is not easily deterred. It was all happily consumed with a pie-eating grin and then it was time to feed the beast a bit more. I was heading out of the park for the day but found one more dish on the way out at Lobster Landing that seemed like a winner, winner dippy dinner:

Baked Lobster Dip with Old Bay Chips (gluten/wheat friendly; new) — $5.50

I liked it! I didn't finish it, but I did enjoy it. It wasn't quite as tasty as the Seafood Dip I'd had at the previous year's Coastal Eats Kiosk. Which wasn't there in 2021, but IS there for 2022. Pretty excited about that!!

So that was my quick and tasty morning at EPCOT. The day was still quite young! Stick around and I'm sure I can conjure up a bit more fun for the day. Was Steppe able to avoid the mayhem at MK and steer clear of the fist fights over plastic cups?

Until next time....

Bon Soir, Mes Amis!!!

It wasn't quite as tasty as the Seafood Dip I'd had at the previous year's Coastal Eats Kiosk. Which wasn't there in 2021, but IS there for 2022. Pretty excited about that!!
I saw the seafood dip listed at Coastal Eats when we were in Epcot tonight. I'll have to try it when we go back to Epcot tomorrow. :)

You did a lot that morning. :)

Are you still here?

Really?

Shocking as this is:

M is for: Magical Moments at the Magical Kingdom!

The bungalow was calling me home, so I set out once more for some relaxation, aloha-style. It was definitely toasty and a bit of cool down time was in order! By then Pat and Marv were also back after what they described as a hellish time at the Magic Kingdom that morning. Apparently, the IT Dept completely messed up and very few people were able to join the Virtual Queues for shopping in the Emporium or other shops that had 50th Merchandise. I guess a lot of folks were getting the circle of death as they pushed "Join" which ended up making more than a few pretty angry and testy. They regaled me with tales of fist fights over plastic cups, shouting matches, and other terrible guest behaviors. I am SOOOOO glad I'd made the choice months earlier to skip that potential mayhem and stick with EPCOT for the morning hours which had some equally nice 50th options.

With that, however, they also said that most people were only there to grab and go and that the attraction lines were pretty manageable. Hmmm.... I mean, I did have a ton of daytime/park hours left... I hung out for a good couple of hours in our luxurious tropical hideaway then decided I would brave the angry mob in hopes they were all disgusted and left. I have a feeling it was a LOT of locals who popped in to grab what the could, saw the CF, and left.

Taking a launch over to the MK around 3:30, I was immediately swept up into the magical atmosphere that was absolutely palpable. The CMs had set a decidedly upbeat tone, there were little magical touches strewn about, and you could feel the celebration mood all around. As icing on the Anniversary Cake, the Fall Decorations were up as well! A picture perfect Main Street!

6 rides. 1 snack. 4 1/2 hours. Ready to see how things stacked up? Let's GO!!!

First things first. A round of Casey Nuggies was in order. Mobile Order, that is! It took 20 minutes from order to pick-up-ready-time and I used the time to watch the 3:00 parade. Which is apparently now at 4:30. And whatever other random times they decide to throw it out there during the day. I like that these are nice and short and don't clog up Main Street for too long! There were ZERO tables to be had so I sufficed with a bar stool against the wall inside. I miss the bleachers!!!!! I was really hoping for a little table with a Castle View, but I guess everyone does every time. As usual, I tossed about 1/3 of them and headed LEFT. Because, LEFT is better. I mean, POTC, BTMRR, HM.... it's all over there.

I'm going to post the ride times a bit later, but for now let's go yo ho for a bit.

Moving deeper into the park and on to FrontierLand, the back way by Westward Ho, I laughed in the appropriate place and got a bit, but not too, wet. Not enough to get IBS any way. (That's Itchy Butt Syndrome for those of you new to a Steppe Report.) You know what I'm talking about. Wet pants= awkward itching until they dry. I took loads of photos because I had very few times left that I'll see this ride intact. I, for one, am going to miss the Briar Friends terribly.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter