The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Continued from previous post....

First, I give you a pair of perfect busts:

And other carved marble works:

I spent a LONG time admiring the detailing on this one:

Anara said this was one of her favorites:

And this was Mikki's favorite- made from black marble and very unique!:

I loved this one for the mixed colors of marble used:

(Description for above work)

This funky piece was actually “hidden”. I noticed some folks standing at a window with their necks craned around. I took a peek and encountered this:

So odd!

Last edited:
Continued from previous post....

And now the paintings in no particular order. I got the descriptions for many, but not all. I don't have the artist or other info for any of the girls’ photos.

This is one that the girls gushed on and on about. They were surprised at how graphic and detailed this work was! (Going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna guess this was an arterial wound...)

The one below captured my eye for the FRAME!! It's... original!

One that's super well known and perhaps recognizable to some of you??

Queen of Hearts?

Unfinished work by Michaelangelo VV:

This one reminded me of a Fantasy genre movie:

Rembrandt:

Birth of Venus by Botticelli- probably the most recognizable work in there, at least to me.

And I think I'll leave off there. I did see Titian's Venus of Urbino, but I can't post it here. Although, I will post the fake David next...

Anyway, I'm out of time but promise to post the post-Uffizi drama just as soon as possible!!

Last edited:
V is for: Very Lost, Very Found, and Very Delicious!

All told, we stayed in the galleries about 3 hours or so. After a bit of texting and semi-finding each other, we agreed to head towards the exit and meet "there".

We didn't realize there was more than one exit. By then, I was with my folks, and just as we got near "the exit" I realized I'd left my most favorite vest in the world on a bench a bit ago. There was NO way I was NOT going to try and find it. I hastily told my folks I'd catch up with them and literally ran back to the place I remember taking it off and setting it beside me.

Trouble was, the halls and routes are very confusing, and I ended going up and down, and up and down, and up and down stairwells, back and forth, through the same halls repeatedly, and finally asking (twice) which way it was to a certain piece of art I remembered being in that particular room. Panting (heavily- because I'm abysmally out of shape) I found the row of benches (this is where I had spent a ton of time admiring those uber cool ceilings) and sadly it was not on top of any of them. :sad::sad: I despaired....

Luckily, however, it was UNDER one of them and I was giddy with happiness when it was safely in my hot, little hands. I mean, I wore it almost every day on vacation after this and it would have been a cruel loss.

I rushed back out (getting lost a few more times) but ended up at an exit altogether unfamiliar to me; one that NO ONE from my family was at. I had a phone call with the girls and described where I was and they found me within about 20 minutes. While I waited, I enjoyed some of the art under the massive porticos and the David replica that was being restored. Had no idea there even was one!

Sadly, my folks got absolutely, hopelessly lost and even had a local person call me so I could explain where we were. He said he'd be able to point the way to them and make sure they found us. That, unfortunately did NOT happen, and about 20 minutes later (we're up to an hour now) they called me themselves and told us where THEY were and could we just come get them. Mom just couldn't walk anymore. Finally, FINALLY reunited, a super nice local offered to call a taxi for us and within 5 minutes we were picked up by an incredibly sweet lady driver and were home within 10 minutes or so.

By then, it was about 7:30? 8:00? and we needed to eat!!! This was yet another occasion that we did not end up at the place I'd pre-researched. And it was ok. Those that I had chosen were options should we need them. In this case, we were all too hungry and too tired to put much effort into finding a perfect place. But we did with a short walk. ;)

Let me share another mouth-watering, incredible Italian meal that ended up being just right!

Here is the Google map link with the menu and some food photos. I didn't take very many other than our food. :)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ristorante+Pizzeria+Trattoria+La+Carabaccia/@43.7750746,11.2434928,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNwr2peYVX1saHhA-iOgbWYA_U4moQo_Q4XTLid!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNwr2peYVX1saHhA-iOgbWYA_U4moQo_Q4XTLid=w203-h101-k-no!7i4756!8i2378!4m17!1m7!3m6!1s0x132a56ae5a47b0b1:0xb634aaa81687e230!2sRistorante+Pizzeria+Trattoria+La+Carabaccia!8m2!3d43.7751191!4d11.2435234!16s/g/1tgcv93y!3m8!1s0x132a56ae5a47b0b1:0xb634aaa81687e230!8m2!3d43.7751191!4d11.2435234!10e5!14m1!1BCgIYIQ!16s/g/1tgcv93y

What I do know, is that we ordered not one, but two of the melon and prosciutto dishes because they were just that good. It was the the sweetest melon I've had a very, very long time and my dad just kept gorging himself and raving on and on about the ham.

The girls and he ordered the pizza which was enormous. The photo makes it look small, but it was probably 16"? Certainly enough for the 3 of them.

Mom and I split the ravioli dish which admittedly looks a bit plain in the photo, but was absolutely out-of-this-world delicious! It had the lightest, most delicate, lemon-cream sauce. I honestly can't remember the filling, but suspect it was the Tortelli with Spinach and Ricotta that I'm seeing on the menu and from folks' descriptions of the photo uploads to Google maps/Reviews.

If memory serves, I ordered a glass of wine, Mikki ordered an Aperol Spritz maybe? And to top it all off, we all shared a bite or two of some Creme Brulee. :)

Everyone absolutely adored this meal despite being extremely exhausted from a very long day of travel, excessive sight-seeing, getting lost with tons of extra walking, and (for us) a very late dinner.

Completely stoked we'd found yet another fantastic meal, we made our way back to our posh digs, I threw in some laundry, took a hot bath, and hit the sack.

Last edited:
******** WARNING, NAKED ART AHEAD!*******
Woot!
And as they say, (this is a rule) if you have a little time to kill, gelato will do the job nicely!!!
That's true. It's definitely a rule. ::yes::
Looking to our right and not far away at all was the Ponte Vecchio! HELLO!!
Nice! I've heard of it, of course, but haven't been (to Florence.)
Glad you got to see it. :)
It doesn’t take effort, at all, to come across those glorious gelato shops that seem to be as ubiquitous as $ixbucks and Dollar Stores around here.
We need more gelato shops here. Serious oversight.
That's because my trip notes for that day look like this:

FAA8F3F9-4703-4AB1-929A-33575CCA1DFE.jpeg
:laughing: Having too good a time to take notes is never a bad thing.
the Ponte Vecchio, or Old Bridge, was the only bridge across the Arno in Florence until 1218.
That long? Huh!
During World War II it was the only bridge across the Arno that the fleeing Germans did not destroy.”
Both amazed and... not surprised, at that.
This was the best photo of it I was able to get from closer to the Uffizi:
Nice shot. :thumbsup2
(Even the utility access are extra)
You just don't see that on this side of the pond.
Now, back to the halls of art we waddled, full of Italian delicacies and ready to explore.
I'd be ready for a nap!
Here some of the most notorious politicians and famous scientists, artists, builders, you name it, are given places of prominence for generations to remember.
Recognize (by name) some of those. ::yes::
One gave me cause to pause: Machiavelli.
Oh? I would be surprised if he wasn't there.
If you have studied history at all, you might remember that he was a horrible tyrant who valued being authoritarian in his political beliefs; he believed that a good ruler rules by fear of punishment rather than by being loved through obligation. Suffice to say he was ruthless in actions, amoral, and religion-less.
hmmmm... I guess I've read a different history.
It could be argued that his treatise on politics was more a baring of the truth of politics. He was also a popular playwright.
There was no ridiculous, infantile tearing down of history in Italy such as we saw here a short couple of years ago, when small groups of out-of-control anarchists thought it was their job to erase history as if it was their own to rule over.
:rolleyes1
I slowly wandered from room to room and viewed the works of my favorite, Botticelli,
Sure sounds like an idyllic way to spend a day. :)
but also LOVED seeing the Titian, da Vinci, and Rembrandt pieces.
How could you not????
Aside from the incredible paintings and statuary works, the ceilings almost took my breath away.
Those are stunning!
Anyway, another major highlight that can be a challenge to get a view of is “The Office”.
1684754013846.png
It’s roped off so you can only view it from outside but it’s totally over-the-top. The nacre ceiling of this room is jaw-dropping, along with the 16th century hardwood furniture and other things from the official office of the Medici Family Business.
Amazing!
I took so many photos in this museum it is actually ridiculous. I won’t share them all, but brace yourself for an avalanche of Renaissance Art.
popcorn::
First, I give you a pair of perfect busts:
Not my idea of perfect busts... but nice all the same.
I spent a LONG time admiring the detailing on this one:
It's amazing how a true artist can take a cold hard stone and make it look like a flowing gown. Not to mention the intricacy of the human form!
Anara said this was one of her favorites:
I wonder why?
And this was Mikki's favorite- made from black marble and very unique!:
I like that one too... for the black marble.
I loved this one for the mixed colors of marble used:
::yes::
This funky piece was actually “hidden”. I noticed some folks standing at a window with their necks craned around. I took a peek and encountered this:

So odd!
What the heck? :laughing:
Going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna guess this was an arterial wound...
Judith Beheading Holofernes
"“The Lord has struck him down by the hand of a woman”. So says Judith, a young Jew from Bethulia, in the bible when she describes her heroic act that freed the people of Israel from the siege by Nebuchadnezzar's army. "
Huh!
And yet... I'm kinda chuckling too. I mean... the art is original!
Queen of Hearts?
I couldn't figure out what you were referring to until I finally figured out that the one gentleman... has lost his head!
This one reminded me of a Fantasy genre movie:
It reminds me of old cartographer's maps where they would put "Here there be monsters".
Birth of Venus by Botticelli- probably the most recognizable work in there, at least to me.
Me too... but for a different reason. :rolleyes:
And I think I'll leave off there. I did see Titian's Venus of Urbino, but I can't post it here. Although, I will post the fake David next...
Oh? Why not?
Anyway, I'm out of time but promise to post the post-Uffizi drama just as soon as possible!!
Will read soon!

All told, we stayed in the galleries about 3 hours or so.
I'm surprised that it was only 3 hours. From all the photos, I distinctly got the impression that you were there for much longer.
We didn't realize there was more than one exit.
uh oh...
Trouble was, the halls and routes are very confusing, and I ended going up and down, and up and down, and up and down stairwells, back and forth, through the same halls repeatedly, and finally asking (twice) which way it was to a certain piece of art I remembered being in that particular room.
:faint:
sadly it was not on top of any of them. :sad::sad: I despaired....

Luckily, however, it was UNDER one of them
Phew! And yet... I do wonder how it wound up under the bench?
I rushed back out (getting lost a few more times) but ended up at an exit altogether unfamiliar to me; one that NO ONE from my family was at.
:lmao: Of course you did!
While I waited, I enjoyed some of the art under the massive porticos and the David replica that was being restored. Had no idea there even was one!
And it looks like it's the same size too.
Sadly, my folks got absolutely, hopelessly lost and even had a local person call me so I could explain where we were. He said he'd be able to point the way to them and make sure they found us. That, unfortunately did NOT happen,
:sad2:
about 20 minutes later (we're up to an hour now) they called me themselves and told us where THEY were and could we just come get them. Mom just couldn't walk anymore.
Not at all surprised by that.
"Very easy. You go straight through the opening, turn left, go to the 2nd alley and turn right, go through the third passage on your left and then take the 2nd alley."
One minute later...
"Where do we go now, Father?"
"I don't know. All I remember was "Go straight through the opening.""
Let me share another mouth-watering, incredible Italian meal that ended up being just right!
mmmm... And you remembered where it was!
What I do know, is that we ordered not one, but two of the melon and prosciutto dishes because they were just that good.
So good you couldn't even stop to take a photo. :laughing:
It was the the sweetest melon I've had a very, very long time and my dad just kept gorging himself and raving on and on about the ham.
Man that sounds good!
The girls and he ordered the pizza which was enormous. The photo makes it look small, but it was probably 16"?
That looks really good. I'd dive into that, any day.
Mom and I split the ravioli dish which admittedly looks a bit plain in the photo, but was absolutely out-of-this-world delicious! It had the lightest, most delicate, lemon-cream sauce.
mmmm... lemon...
And to top it all off, we all shared a bite or two of some Creme Brulee.
Love crème brulée, but... it looks like it was maybe a little too "brulé"?
Caramelized is good. Burnt is not.

Last edited:
This was the best photo of it I was able to get from closer to the Uffizi:
It was a great photo...and I love the way it looks empty and devoid of the throngs of people that I know must have been there!

I have totally been there with aging family members when they just get to the end of their ability to stand and walk and it's so hard. It's great that you were able to get in a taxi quickly and get everyone to a restaurant.

The gelato looks amazing. I would have gotten some, too.

I agree with you about the past hysteria over certain statues in the US. For some reason, the Christopher Columbus statute was one of the ones that the city of Chicago had to remove for safety because it was being targeted. It was crazy.

The art museum looks like it was overwhelming, with one fantastic piece after another. What an incredible collection.

Without looking it up, I would guess that this is the Annunciation, where the angel comes to Mary and tells her that she is going to be the mother of the savior.
Luckily, however, it was UNDER one of them and I was giddy with happiness when it was safely in my hot, little hands. I mean, I wore it almost every day on vacation after this and it would have been a cruel loss.
That was lucky. I can understand how much you would have missed this vest if it was gone.
Finally, FINALLY reunited, a super nice local offered to call a taxi for us and within 5 minutes we were picked up by an incredibly sweet lady driver and were home within 10 minutes or so.
What a mess. I'm glad that the nice local helped you get a taxi. :)

Got home on the 1st and immediately started in on my first class (of 3) for the term. It ended up being easy and I finally passed the whole class completely on the 11th.
Wow... well, sounds like you're off to a solid start!
Basically I'm stuck on that until I can secure at least 2 places and people who are willing to take me on as a student nurse practitioner. UGH. So far I've passed out 8 packets of information and pimped myself, but no luck yet. There are more urgent care clinics and a big clinic group that I'll work on on Monday.
Yuck. That would not be fun to have to beg, borrow and steal just for the opportunity to assist them and further your education.
I was pretty miserable for about 5 days, but I am much better today and up and around even planting some flowers on my deck. Sitting on my butt studying all day has been good I guess for recovery.
Sorry you had to go through that, but definitely nice that it worked out well to coincide recovery time with studying.
It’s Ristorante Something-or-other in Florence which narrows it down to approximately 3500 restaurants that it could have been. Well, okay, let’s say it was within a 10-minute walking distance from the Cathedral, so it was definitely one of probably 300. It doesn’t matter really though, because the chances of any of the 3 readers I have left of going to Florence and wanting to eat at THAT restaurant are about as good as Comer going to prison for using the FBI in taxpayer fraud.
:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:
More than satisfied and satiated
All the dishes look excellent. I'm suddenly craving pasta for lunch... with no good Italian places close by. :rotfl:
Honestly, we all agreed that it appeared he had been doing something that he shouldn’t have been doing, was about to get busted for it, and was trying so very hard to deflect. We didn’t stick around to find out as time was marching on and we had a lot more to see, but we did enjoy the post-lunch show and made our way to the vast and wonderful halls of Uffizi.
I mean I get the fact that you've got places to be and things to see... but I want to know what went down here now! This could have been a @Captain_Oblivious type of TR entry!
That's because my trip notes for that day look like this:
So everything I'm reading is just made up? :rolleyes1
Anyway, we ate it under the portico that overlooks the Arno River then wandered to the Ponte Vecchio to say we’d been on it. Yes, it’s picturesque and yes it has some pretty cool history.
Can't think of a much better setting to enjoy some gelato.
<steps off soapbox>
Can't disagree with a single thing you said. Use that sopbox all you want. :lmao:
I found the row of benches (this is where I had spent a ton of time admiring those uber cool ceilings) and sadly it was not on top of any of them. :sad::sad: I despaired....
Noo!!!!:headache:
Luckily, however, it was UNDER one of them and I was giddy with happiness when it was safely in my hot, little hands.
YAY!!!! :banana:
That, unfortunately did NOT happen, and about 20 minutes later (we're up to an hour now) they called me themselves and told us where THEY were and could we just come get them. Mom just couldn't walk anymore. Finally, FINALLY reunited, a super nice local offered to call a taxi for us and within 5 minutes we were picked up by an incredibly sweet lady driver and were home within 10 minutes or so.
Well I'm glad that you finally were able to corral everyone together and find a ride.
By then, it was about 7:30? 8:00? and we needed to eat!!!
What? Your dad didn't make the cab pull over at the first restaurant he saw?
Everyone absolutely adored this meal despite being extremely exhausted from a very long day of travel, excessive sight-seeing, getting lost with tons of extra walking, and (for us) a very late dinner.
Looks like another fantastic meal. Italian food is probably my favorite and I'm hardcore craving it right now. :lmao:

W is for: What a Body!!! What a Meal!!

In celebration of passing the ridiculously difficult (for me) math exam that was assigned to me from compliance at my new PACU contract at UK in Lexington, I am going to relax a little bit and write some.

Let’s finish our time in Florence with a couple more fantastic museums, some hyped up sammies that utterly missed the mark, and an over-the-top gluttonous festival of meat.

The girls and I were up quite early and headed out for the day’s adventures under a gloriously peaceful pastel sky. Church bells greeted the dawn and shopkeepers were just beginning to set up their wares. Coffee shops were inviting the early-risers in with rows of golden pastries and the rich scent of freshly pressed coffees. Rather than sip my latte in leisure, we each grabbed our chosen croissant, and I my coffee, and nibbled and sipped as we made our way to the Accademia Gallery.

Raise your hand if you know what’s there!

If you guessed David, you are right!!!

We got there just after it opened, bought our tickets and waltzed on in. My timestamp says I took my first photo inside at 8:34. Look at us GO!

The collection at the Accademia is MUCH smaller than that of the Uffizi, so it didn’t take long to enjoy what there was to see. Sadly, none of us took very many photos either. So, I’ll share the few I got which obviously highlights David. Sometimes, it’s just better to not focus on the journaling and enjoy the treasures around you, no? No lie we all sat down for few minutes and just admired the impeccable attention to detail. Friends, the veins in his hand!!!

The man himself:

(They took their knowledge of human anatomy VERY seriously and executed it more than "well" with stone!)

(The lost-and-found pink vest)

Giambologna's Rape of the Sabine Women: (Inspired by the Roman mythology story)

(Sorry for the blurry mess on that one!)
Another incredible work, no?! Look at those folds in her robe!!!

The Hall of Busts: (There was a wonderful video taking you through the process of doing reverse relief, and the work of moulds that artists were using by this time period.)

The Music Hall:

After we took in the incredible craftsmanship, all junior high humor aside, of the masterpiece that David is, we decided we had plenty of time to take in one more museum that Florence has to offer- the da Vinci Museum. The da Vinci was a 5-minute walk away from the Accademia, so why not?!

By 9:38, we’d paid our entry fee, which was ridiculously inexpensive (and tells you how quickly we were able to see what we’d wanted to at the Accademia) and began to explore this funky little museum. Ever been to a children’s museum? The ones that are a bit on the touchy-feely side? This was honestly a pretty neato place. There were dozens of replicas with explanations of da Vinci’s contraptions and machines and a surprising number of them were devoted to ingenious, but rather sinister, instruments of war. Chopper-uppers, trench diggers, you name it. There were flying machines, submarines, and studies of the human anatomy that da Vinci was obsessed with. The place was full of interactive displays, like blocks to teach kids (and probably some adults) about arches and force in architecture, optical illusion displays, and even movies that helped explain the history behind the inventor, painter, scientist.

The Battlefield Chopper-Upper (see in the picture how it's supposed to chop the enemy's legs off?) :

A movie about how guilds and artists were selected and commissioned back then:

(You can't see them well at all but these displays are incredibly graphic and very realistic models/replicas of human anatomy that da Vinci developed and used to aid in his art.)

All told, we diddled around in that museum for about 45 minutes, and it was getting close to the time we needed to get back to the Airbnb to check out. Our deadline was 11:00 and we’d be cutting it close. My idea was to grab some sandwiches to eat on the train, but that plan got decimated on so many levels it wasn’t funny.

My sister-in-law had highly recommended a sandwich shop that it sort of an internet darling (the Antico Vinaio), and to humor her we headed that way to give it a try. It was out of way, but we thought it would be fun to say, “hey, we tried it!”. When we got there, there was no one in line, which was great because, eek, I was really getting worried at this point. We chose 3 sandwiches from the menu, and they were indeed huge and beautiful. Probably FAR too much for the 5 of us to eat for sure. The ingredients sure looked fresh and it was a very pretty presentation!

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
Continued from previous post...

We hoofed it quickly back to the apartment to grab our bags and get out in time. While the girls finished up their packing, I grabbed a knife and cut the sandwiches in half. It was at that moment that the truffle oil stink bomb hit my face. The odor was so overpowering it clung to my clothes like gum in a toddler’s hair and it permeated everything and hung in the air like the last unfiltered thing you didn’t mean to say in front of all your co-workers. Ah well, I wrapped them back up and we were ready to go.

Remember we had the sweetest hostess? Amazing lady really. She helped us find our way back to the train station toting one of the bags almost all the way there. I’d highly recommend this place, so if you’re ever in Florence stay here with Olga!!!

Link here >>> https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20231287

(One more photo Anara sent me recently of Olga's Airbnb)

Unfortunately, I messed up a bit here as Official Trip Planner. Our train wasn’t departing until about 3:00 PM which gave us 3 hours to find something to do. The train stations have VERY little seating in them, and Mom and Dad can’t stand around for 3 hours. Heck, *I* can’t even stand around for 3 hours. It took a bit of doing but we found a place to sit and the price was about 20 Euros and a verbal spanking. Cue, ominous music...

A little train station pizzeria looked inviting and had the extra bonus of free bathrooms. It took forever for someone to come take our orders which consisted of Cokes and a pizza to share along with more prosciutto for the meat lovers.

I wasn’t about to spend one fraction of a Euro on food when we had 40 bucks worth of sandwiches in a bag right there. I discreetly opened one the sandwiches (you know, the ones that they could smell from as far away as the Cathedral when I opened the bag?), and all of a sudden, the more matronly waitress appears out of nowhere and says, “Madam.” Shaking her head and giving me a look of half stink eye and half disappointment. Crap! I was so busted.

Okay, OKAY, I know that was fabulously faux pas of me, I get it. But we DID order a pizza, and drinks all around. Sheesh. I sheepishly wrapped it back up and put it away and to this day I will always wonder if it was the offensive stench or the fact that I was eating outside food that she disliked most. It’s a 50-50.

We’d only burned up about an hour in there, but we couldn’t take up the booth anymore without feeling naughty all over again, so walked out and decided we’d each do out own thing until 2:30. Mom and Dad ended up going to McDonalds so they could at least sit some more, and the girls and I went out to the station’s front area to kill time and people watch. From there, the 3 of us decided to take turns taking a walk and I ended up walking across the street to the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella. The style was the same as the Cathedral we’d been to the day before, this was just a smaller version. Sadly, they charge to get into this one, and I decided to pass and just enjoy the free parts and exterior. I was no less enchanted of the detailing here.

(Super cool old door bell on the church wall)

And one random photo of a bona fide shoe maker's shop. Where else can you pick up a pair of handmade genuine pink leather shoes?!

This little field trip across the street ate up another 45 minutes or so and I went back to give the girls a turn. I found them completely irritated and almost fuming in fact. This random, probably mentally disturbed, dude was sitting next to them and, after telling him multiple, multiple times they didn’t want to talk to him, kept pestering with questions and seemed very intrusive to the point of harassment.

(The girls doing what girls do when bored)

(Before the harasser arrived)

Even before I got to them, they’d picked up their bags and met me leading a hasty retreat into the station. They were in no mood to go anywhere, so we found a piece of real estate on the floor against a wall inside the station. While we were sitting there, the sandwiches kept belching out mushroom clouds of truffle stench, and finally Anara couldn’t take it anymore. Gagging, together we decided to toss out 40 Euros of sandwiches and vowed to never tell my ex-sister-in-law the story of the sandwiches that offended wherever they went. (I'm sorry Colleen if you ever read this!!!) Mikki, however, was stunned, declaring that she thought they were fine.

Whatever.

At 3:00 we were on the train being whisked back to Venice for one last night as a group.

It was nearly 7:00 before we finally retrieved our luggage out of the storage lockers (of course we had to pay a fine for being an hour late :rolleyes2) and made our way to the Airbnb. It was one we’d stayed in before so finding it was much easier than the first time. But it was far into dinner time and I’d had a place picked out. Doing research pays sometimes. Dad and I took off to see if we could get a reservation or if there was room for us and the waiter told us there was a table for us, but that he’d only hold it for 10 minutes TOPS. EEK! We made a call and sent out an urgent “COME RIGHT NOW!” text. We told him they were on their way and yes, we’d eat there for sure, but we couldn’t help but be very aware he was completely serious about holding it for ONLY 10 minutes. Exactly 13 minutes later, Mom and the girls showed up panting, and my poor mom with her cane definitely limping. But we did get the table- one of only 4 in the entire little Enoteca/Osteria. And it is THE place in this Venice neighborhood!! The entire sidewalk area between the front and the canal was packed so tight you could hardly get through and the bridge about 10 feet away was clogged with a young crowd out with their friends sharing a glass of cheer. The vibe was definitely one of weekend fun for the 20-somethings.

(It was twice as packed when we left at 9:30)

We soon found out why the Al Timon boasts its Must-Do reputation.

The waiter, the same one who was no nonsense about holding the table, was also no-nonsense about taking our order. So much so, that he basically told us what we were going to get.

Ummm…. Okay then. :confused3

“2 steaks with veggies will be more than enough for you. What can I get you to drink?”

“Um, I was kinda wanting gnocchi.”

“Fine, I’ll bring that too.”

The place was slammed, he was stressed out, and it was brutally apparent he had no patience for indecisive, dawdling tourists who didn’t know shiest from shinola about Florentine-esque steak dinners.

We should have known to just trust the expert. Behold… I present to you…

(Please excuse the amateur videoing done by someone who clearly does not Instagram often or well.)

We ate until we were nearly sick, and then decided that a shot of limoncello was the perfect way to end this overly gluttonous Meat-o-Rama and the end of the trip for Mom, Dad, and Mikki; come morning, it would be just Anara for 2 1/2 glorious more weeks.

The crowd was just getting the street party started when we rolled out...

... and it was too late to take a walk since we all had to be up WAY before dawn the next morning to catch a bus to the airport for early morning flights. We packed then hit the sack early and probably suffered from indigestion and heartburn for the next few hours.

Last edited:
That's true. It's definitely a rule. ::yes::
MORE GELATO!!!
Nice! I've heard of it, of course, but haven't been (to Florence.)
Glad you got to see it. :)

:laughing: Having too good a time to take notes is never a bad thing.
Too true!!!
That long? Huh!
1218 is just hard for me to even comprehend.
You just don't see that on this side of the pond.
Nope, too practical and art I think is just not as valued or encouraged.

hmmmm... I guess I've read a different history.
It could be argued that his treatise on politics was more a baring of the truth of politics. He was also a popular playwright.
I'd agree with the first, and did not know the latter.
:rotfl:
Not my idea of perfect busts... but nice all the same.
;)
It's amazing how a true artist can take a cold hard stone and make it look like a flowing gown. Not to mention the intricacy of the human form!
Totally!!! Just crazy how they did that!
I wonder why?
I think the motion of it?
What the heck? :laughing:
I know, WEIRD to the max.
Judith Beheading Holofernes
"“The Lord has struck him down by the hand of a woman”. So says Judith, a young Jew from Bethulia, in the bible when she describes her heroic act that freed the people of Israel from the siege by Nebuchadnezzar's army. "
And there ya go!!! I'm sure she thought it quite a noble deed.
Huh!
And yet... I'm kinda chuckling too. I mean... the art is original!
I know, I KNOW, but I guess I don't think of the frames as being as "precious" or save-able? And I guess I figured they'd rot more easily? I was just so surprised to see such an elaborate one still intact.
It reminds me of old cartographer's maps where they would put "Here there be monsters".
Ok, I can see that.
Me too... but for a different reason. :rolleyes:
:lmao:
Oh? Why not?
I dunno, just seemed a bit on the seductive side, maybe?

I'm surprised that it was only 3 hours. From all the photos, I distinctly got the impression that you were there for much longer.
I was snapping photos like a maniac!!
Phew! And yet... I do wonder how it wound up under the bench?
I honestly don't know. I had set it beside me while I sat with Mom and Dad during a little mini-break, and just forgot it. Whether it fell off and behind there while I was sitting there, (and that's why I forgot it, because I didn't see it?) or if someone stashed it there hoping I'd come back... I'll never know. Just glad I found it!
:lmao: Of course you did!
:blush:
Not at all surprised by that.
"Very easy. You go straight through the opening, turn left, go to the 2nd alley and turn right, go through the third passage on your left and then take the 2nd alley."
One minute later...
"Where do we go now, Father?"
"I don't know. All I remember was "Go straight through the opening.""
It was kinda just like that.
mmmm... And you remembered where it was!
A picture is worth a thousand memories. :rolleyes:
So good you couldn't even stop to take a photo. :laughing:
I went back and added it. I got skipped first time around. ;)
mmmm... lemon...
Lemon is the BEST!
Love crème brulée, but... it looks like it was maybe a little too "brulé"?
Caramelized is good. Burnt is not.
I'd agree. A bit on the dark side.

It was a great photo...and I love the way it looks empty and devoid of the throngs of people that I know must have been there!

I have totally been there with aging family members when they just get to the end of their ability to stand and walk and it's so hard. It's great that you were able to get in a taxi quickly and get everyone to a restaurant.
It was a pretty packed place for sure!! One thing I didn't write about was how one tourist collapsed or fell? and the ambulance came to help. It took quite a bit of time to make its way through the crowd to get to him.

It is hard. :( Mom took a tumble yesterday and really bunged up her knee. I felt so badly for her. I'm so thankful she didn't bust a hip!!! I think this was her last overseas or even long-distance domestic trip sadly.

The gelato looks amazing. I would have gotten some, too.
There were so many yummy looking flavors!!
I agree with you about the past hysteria over certain statues in the US. For some reason, the Christopher Columbus statute was one of the ones that the city of Chicago had to remove for safety because it was being targeted. It was crazy.
Crazy, wrong, illegal... you name it.
The art museum looks like it was overwhelming, with one fantastic piece after another. What an incredible collection.
It truly is! It just goes on and on and on and it'd be hard to take it all in during one visit for sure!
Without looking it up, I would guess that this is the Annunciation, where the angel comes to Mary and tells her that she is going to be the mother of the savior.
Yes, you are right! I went back and looked it up- just hadn't taken a photo of that one's description plaque.
That was lucky. I can understand how much you would have missed this vest if it was gone.
YES!!!
What a mess. I'm glad that the nice local helped you get a taxi. :)
It was such a mess!! Major time sucker and the cause of more than a little frustration for everyone. But all's well that ends well they say. :)

Wow... well, sounds like you're off to a solid start!
I think I am! Things are really coming together after A LOT Of hard work and time.
Yuck. That would not be fun to have to beg, borrow and steal just for the opportunity to assist them and further your education.
MD interns get paid. I will NEVER understand why nurses aren't. Such a scam. We take the same level of classes they do for general med stuff (they just go on to specialize). We learn the same physical assessment techniques and learn how to take history and do a review of systems exactly as they do. Odd.
Sorry you had to go through that, but definitely nice that it worked out well to coincide recovery time with studying.
Yes, God is in control and the timing worked out JUST as it was supposed to.
All the dishes look excellent. I'm suddenly craving pasta for lunch... with no good Italian places close by. :rotfl:
BUMMER!!! I subscribe to The Pasta Queen on Insta and she makes some super easy pasta dishes that rival any restaurant I've been to. Sooooo good!
I mean I get the fact that you've got places to be and things to see... but I want to know what went down here now! This could have been a @Captain_Oblivious type of TR entry!
Buahahahahaha!
So everything I'm reading is just made up? :rolleyes1
I mean... mebbe. ;) Nah, it's mostly all pretty accurate Mostly.
Can't think of a much better setting to enjoy some gelato.
And the weather was even perfect too!
Can't disagree with a single thing you said. Use that sopbox all you want. :lmao:
<Steps up now and then>
Well I'm glad that you finally were able to corral everyone together and find a ride.
It's like herding cats!
What? Your dad didn't make the cab pull over at the first restaurant he saw?
Looks like another fantastic meal. Italian food is probably my favorite and I'm hardcore craving it right now. :lmao:
Mexican is definitely mine, but man we sure had some pretty great Italian fare!

No lie we all sat down for few minutes and just admired the impeccable attention to detail. Friends, the veins in his hand!!!
The detail is amazing. The David statue looks amazing and it was a good thing they refurbished it. Some of the other statues need to be cleaned. The folds are amazing but I can't help seeing the dirt. ;)
we decided we had plenty of time to take in one more museum that Florence has to offer- the da Vinci Museum.
The Da Vinci museum looks fascinating but I agree that the graphic depictions are a bit gruesome.
It was at that moment that the truffle oil stink bomb hit my face.
I bet that the sandwiches would have been delicious. It's a shame that you couldn't find a quiet table somewhere to eat them.
This random, probably mentally disturbed, dude was sitting next to them and, after telling him multiple, multiple times they didn’t want to talk to him, kept pestering with questions and seemed very intrusive to the point of harassment.
Our youngest daughter went to Italy with her high school Latin class. She said that they were harassed by some men in Rome.
“2 steaks with veggies will be more than enough for you. What can I get you to drink?”
I bet that your father was very happy with this meal. :)

One of my sisters is going to Florence next week. Her friend rented a large villa for 6 weeks and my sister will be joining her for two of the weeks. I think it will be fun for her because the friend rented a car and will have learned a lot by then. :)

The detail is amazing. The David statue looks amazing and it was a good thing they refurbished it. Some of the other statues need to be cleaned. The folds are amazing but I can't help seeing the dirt. ;)
I'd agree, things were looking a bit on the tarnished side. Hopefully, they can find the funding to get some of the centuries of grime off.
The Da Vinci museum looks fascinating but I agree that the graphic depictions are a bit gruesome.
Accurate for sure and I can definitely see how it'd make a few folks squeamish!
I bet that the sandwiches would have been delicious. It's a shame that you couldn't find a quiet table somewhere to eat them.
I just couldn't get past the truffle smell. A little (for me anyway) goes a very long way! And yes, I agree, it'd been nice to have at least found a place to TRY!!!
Our youngest daughter went to Italy with her high school Latin class. She said that they were harassed by some men in Rome.
UGH! A horrible experience that they still mention.
I bet that your father was very happy with this meal. :)
I don't think he's ever been terribly disappointed with a pizza! ;)
One of my sisters is going to Florence next week. Her friend rented a large villa for 6 weeks and my sister will be joining her for two of the weeks. I think it will be fun for her because the friend rented a car and will have learned a lot by then. :)
Ohhh, how fun!!! I'm sure they will absolutely love it! A car is a definite MUST in Tuscany. Walking when you're actually IN the cities and villages is easy-peasy, we did a ton of that, but getting to them would just take too much time getting local buses that are pretty infrequent actually.

****REAL LIFE UPDATE... For those who are interested in my journey to become a Family Nurse Practitioner....****

The term started on May 1 and, with a TON of hard work and a lot of stress, things are falling into place. I didn't think it was wise for my sanity or health to try and work during my first 2 terms (of 5) of the Program. School and life are not cheap, and I ran out of money. Like broke ran out. I borrowed this term's tuition from Mom and Dad and desperately had to find a new travel contract which miraculously happened last week. After getting rejected for several positions, I was really getting discouraged and a bit worried. But I'd kept in contact with a friend that I'd made at my contract last year here in Bowling Green and through her landed a 14-week contract at UK Lexington Hospital in the Recovery Room. (PACU) She's even letting me share her Airbnb's couch to sleep on for the contract. For a fair portion of the cost, of course.

That was a HUGE relief! For this contract, I had to do a ton of compliance things- drug screening, background check, physical exam, and 14 hours of computer modules and 3 VERY difficult exams, one Advanced Math Calculations and not one, but two Advanced Dysrhythmias exams. I failed every one once, studied for days, re-took them, and passed with 90%+. If you don't use knowledge it doesn't get remembered all that well. Anyhow, I'm all set to start June 20th.

Meanwhile, I've passed one class and am working on getting class #2 (of 3 this term) completed. One of the things I had to do in order to pass this current class, even though it has NOTHING to do with the actual course content, is get my Clinical Sites and Preceptors lined up and verbally committed. It took hours and hours of cold calling, randomly showing up in Clinics, handing out some professionally done up info packets I'd made, following up with contacts, etc....

Finally, I have 4 Preceptors/Clinics who've agreed to take me on for May-October next summer. One at an Urgent Care, one at a Family/Low-Income Community Health Clinic, one at a Primary Care Clinic, and the last with a General Surgeon for my specialty hours. PHEW!!! That's huge!! Once I get their paperwork back this week (they've both promised to be done by Wednesday) I can submit that "Task" for evaluation.

The LAST Task in the class is a HUGE assignment. The whole class (other than the Clinical stuff) is how to do a COMPLETE Head-to-Toe History and Physical Exam. What I learned in my undergrad program was like comparing a bologna sandwich to a filet mignon. This will be a video I make with my patient (my sister agreed) where I go through every body system and ask subjective questions, then do the exam- which includes everything but the female-specific stuff. I have to demonstrate how to test for and rule out rotator cuff tears vs. impingement syndrome, how to assess precordial pulsations, palpating and measuring liver span, you name it, I'll have to do it. It should take us about 3 hours to get through it. I'm terrified. I really am. So wish me luck. I just do NOT like the whole video thing, and know a LOT more is coming next term with OSCEs. It's the last truly stressful thing until I start my next high stakes class of Primary Care of the Adult Population. The tricky part will be studying well for that while working 4 days a week. I won't lie and say "piece of cake".

So that's the scoop on my life. I deeply apologize to those of you whose TR's I normally follow and comment on. But I just can hardly keep up with my crazy life right now. The time I do get to spend on the DIS is gobbled up by trying to edit my own photos and getting this TR written.

I do promise, the best is actually about to start!!! We visited some truly OUT OF THE WAY places in Italy that far fewer tourists get to. I think you'll be pleased with our touring! So, don't abandon me yet!!! :)

In celebration of passing the ridiculously difficult (for me) math exam that was assigned to me from compliance at my new PACU contract at UK in Lexington,
Congrats on passing the exam!
I am going to relax a little bit and write some.
Write some what?
and an over-the-top gluttonous festival of meat.
mmmmmm... meat...

Screenshot2021-04-03at3.14.59PM_1024x1024.png

Church bells greeted the dawn and shopkeepers were just beginning to set up their wares.
You certainly paint an inviting picture. :)
Raise your hand if you know what’s there!
:confused3

Bob?

Darren?

Sylvia????
If you guessed David, you are right!!!
So close!

Actually, no, I did not know that's where the statue of David was.
Sometimes, it’s just better to not focus on the journaling and enjoy the treasures around you, no?
Friends, the veins in his hand!!!
See next comment
That's just... I mean... ridiculously incredible! Even before I read your comment on the hand, I was marveling at it. It looks so lifelike!
Until right now, I had no idea that David was actually holding anything! Is that a towel?
(The lost-and-found pink vest)
Yay!!
Another incredible work, no?! Look at those folds in her robe!!!
How can they do that?!?!?!? It's stone!
Is that... a folding clarinet?????
we decided we had plenty of time to take in one more museum that Florence has to offer- the da Vinci Museum.
Well, sure! That'd be high on my list. ::yes::
The da Vinci was a 5-minute walk away from the Accademia, so why not?!
Nice that it was that close. I presume if it hadn't been, you wouldn't have been able to go.
By 9:38, we’d paid our entry fee,
Man, that's quick! You must've spent under an hour at the previous museum. I don't know how you did that.
Ever been to a children’s museum? The ones that are a bit on the touchy-feely side?
The Battlefield Chopper-Upper (see in the picture how it's supposed to chop the enemy's legs off?) :
I think I've seen that (or similar) before. I don't believe it was particularly useful.
Looks like a perfectly executed method to kill someone underwater.

:rolleyes:
I like that she put her arm through. Neat effect!
All told, we diddled around in that museum for about 45 minutes, and it was getting close to the time we needed to get back to the Airbnb to check out. Our deadline was 11:00 and we’d be cutting it close.
45 minutes??? Did you run???
My idea was to grab some sandwiches to eat on the train, but that plan got decimated on so many levels it wasn’t funny.
Decimated? You took the Chopper Upper with you?
My sister-in-law had highly recommended a sandwich shop that it sort of an internet darling (the Antico Vinaio), and to humor her we headed that way to give it a try. It was out of way, but we thought it would be fun to say, “hey, we tried it!”. When we got there, there was no one in line,
No one in line... that doesn't sound promising...
It was at that moment that the truffle oil stink bomb hit my face. The odor was so overpowering it clung to my clothes like gum in a toddler’s hair
:sick:
and it permeated everything and hung in the air like the last unfiltered thing you didn’t mean to say in front of all your co-workers.
Remember we had the sweetest hostess? Amazing lady really. She helped us find our way back to the train station toting one of the bags almost all the way there. I’d highly recommend this place, so if you’re ever in Florence stay here with Olga!!!
Wow! She really went above and beyond!
Heck, *I* can’t even stand around for 3 hours.
It's like you've never tried to ride Peter Pan at Disney.
I wasn’t about to spend one fraction of a Euro on food when we had 40 bucks worth of sandwiches in a bag right there.
Why not?
You'd throw out 40 bucks worth of sandwiches... :rolleyes1
all of a sudden, the more matronly waitress appears out of nowhere and says, “Madam.” Shaking her head and giving me a look of half stink eye and half disappointment. Crap! I was so busted.
:laughing: Off to Italian food jail for you!
I sheepishly wrapped it back up and put it away and to this day I will always wonder if it was the offensive stench or the fact that I was eating outside food that she disliked most. It’s a 50-50.
:rotfl:
Basilica of Santa Maria Novella. The style was the same as the Cathedral we’d been to the day before, this was just a smaller version. Sadly, they charge to get into this one
I am not impressed with churches that charge money to go inside. What if you just want to have a quiet place to rest? Or pray? I mean... it's a church! Shouldn't it welcome the poor???
(Super cool old door bell on the church wall)
Where else can you pick up a pair of handmade genuine pink leather shoes?!
I kinda like that. Not the pink, per se, but the handmade shoes. You don't see that anymore, anywhere.
This random, probably mentally disturbed, dude was sitting next to them and, after telling him multiple, multiple times they didn’t want to talk to him, kept pestering with questions and seemed very intrusive to the point of harassment.
:sad2:
At least they seemed to escape unscathed.
Gagging, together we decided to toss out 40 Euros of sandwiches and vowed to never tell my ex-sister-in-law the story of the sandwiches that offended wherever they went.
Oh dear.
(I'm sorry Colleen if you ever read this!!!)
:laughing:
Way to throw your DSil under the bus!
It was nearly 7:00 before we finally retrieved our luggage out of the storage lockers (of course we had to pay a fine for being an hour late :rolleyes2)
Of course you did. You're tourists... they can charge whatever they want.
. Exactly 13 minutes later, Mom and the girls showed up panting, and my poor mom with her cane definitely limping. But we did get the table
Phew! For a second, I thought you were going to say that the table was gone.
The waiter, the same one who was no nonsense about holding the table, was also no-nonsense about taking our order. So much so, that he basically told us what we were going to get.

Ummm…. Okay then. :confused3
"You'll eat it and you'll like it."

“Um, I was kinda wanting gnocchi.”

“Fine, I’ll bring that too.”
Did you regret that, considering the mass of food that arrived?
The place was slammed, he was stressed out, and it was brutally apparent he had no patience for indecisive, dawdling tourists who didn’t know shiest from shinola about Florentine-esque steak dinners.
I'm betting he sees indecisive tourists all day long and just can't afford the time.
Mass of food! Did you guys come close to finishing all that???

MORE GELATO!!!
Eo6b1ooXMAAA4LF

1218 is just hard for me to even comprehend.
Nah. It's just a little bit past quarter after noon.

See? Easy.
And there ya go!!! I'm sure she thought it quite a noble deed.
Of biblical proportion.
I know, I KNOW, but I guess I don't think of the frames as being as "precious" or save-able? And I guess I figured they'd rot more easily? I was just so surprised to see such an elaborate one still intact.
I thought about that...
If the frame would rot, I'd think the canvas would rot even more quickly? I could be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter