• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The 4F Trip Report - Day 03

alan

DIS Veteran
Trip Report Index is here

Day 03 - 29-Jul - Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom. Uncle John loves Animal Kingdom, it's his favourite park. Me? I'm just not so sure. I konw that standards are a thousand times better than most zoos, but there are still animals in captivity, and I'm a bit torn about that.

Anyway, I have to admit that we hardly saw any animals today... it was one of "those" days.

It all started well enough; the kids were still a little nippy at each other but a long lie in the morning helped loads. We had breakfast in the hotel. The little plastic tubs they sell cereal in are great... what a pity that the cereals they sell all seem to be sweetened so enthusiastically. By the end of the holiday, I do think I might have killed for a nice bowl of Jordan's muesli!

That done, we went back to the room, freshened up and went to the bus stop for the Animal Kingdom bus.

I tried to get Marie to be a tiger, roaring and growling at me for the photo. Somehow, I think she maybe felt a little bit inhibited!

You wouldn't tell it from this picture, but we were in fact seeing some improvement in the kids today. The long lie definitely helped and while they both had their moments for the rest of the holiday, the worst was past and we were much more able to relax and enjoy the holiday...

...well, except for the moment when we went in, and Jenni lashed out at her brother. I don't know why, but it seemed a good moment for a quiet father/daughter discussion. We got to see some pretty animals

and any suggestion that I threatened to feed her to this fellow if there was more misbehaviour would be entirely incorrect!

Soon, Jenni and I completely understood one another

and were able to rejoin our party. We peered through the darkness, and found the others... Wait a bit... darkness? In the morning? That must mean... wow, look at that cloud cover!

Any doubt in our mind was assuaged by the lads standing outside It's A Bug's Life who were encouraging us to go in by shouting "Come in, it's an indoor show and it's dry inside!"

So in we went. There is a really long passageway to get to the cinema where It's A Bug's Life is shown. I felt a bit like Theseus going to face the minotaur. Indeed, I have a theory that the show is in fact not in Animal Kingdon at all, but an abandoned part of Epcot... But I digress.

We reached the cinema and after a short wait

we got to go into the anteroom, where we all posed elegantly in our 3D glasses

The rain was already belting down outside, so we were glad to be under cover. The show was excellent - it's one that we remember vividly from last time - and we still let out the obligatory squeals at the end!

All too soon the show was finished, and we were sent outside. Now, since this was the park I wasn't convinced about we were probably less organised for this one than any of the other parks we visited (I did most of the organisation). We weren't sure what to do next so when we passed Finding Nemo and there was no queue, it seemed natural to go in.

We had quite a long wait before the show started, but once it did start it was an excellent show.The production values were extraordinary - I've never been to Broadway but I have been at the West End, and this matched that for sure. And I am as sure as I can be that the singing was live... if not the miming was extraordinarily good.

Lighting, direction, acting, choreography... all excellent. Not entirely sure that I found much in the music to like, but you can't be too choosy.

Now, a slight aside here. A major hobby of mine is photographing stage musicals. You can see my work at http://www.stagepics.co.uk. I only mention this to make it clear that when I do so, I do it much better than in the Nemo pictures below. I had the wrong lens, and the post-processing is pretty lousy. But the pics give an idea of the feel of the thing

We enjoyed the show, and by the time we got out the sun was shining brightly. Mount Everest stood tall above us

and we were ready for lunch! So Uncle John chose the Yak & Yeti Cafe, which I have to say was an excellent choice. We ate outside, with the sun beating down on us really strongly. Having complained about the rain all morning, we now were trying to find shelter from the heat of the sun... are we never happy?

After lunch, we wandered around aimlessly for a while, enjoying the theming

and the scenery

until I decided that I really had to try Expedition Everest. I have to admit to not being totally a roller coaster person, but I eventually decided that I was going to do it.

It's an impressive ride... because what goes up...

very soon, and very rapidly, comes down

Truth is, I don't remember coming down this slope... I think I must have been concentrating so hard on the plastic of the car that I completely failed to look around me!

By the time I got out, the rain was coming down pretty impressively. Everyone except me donned large plastic bags (okay, okay.... ponchos). I decided I would just get wet

and we went to the fairground (Chester and Hester's)

This was okay, but I felt a little cheated that you were asked to pay for the entertainment available. However, both Jenni and Cameron won soft toys on the "bounce a ball into the jam jar" stall, so we did okay.

Cameron decided he wanted to do his first roller coaster, so we spent a lifetime or two queuing up for Primeval whirl. We ended up in a car with a mother and son that we didn't know, but Cameron did very well on the coaster. Full marks to him for having the courage to do it!

After that, we went back to the hotel. Once again, the kids seemed happier at the pool than anywhere else, so we stayed there for a while.

We had thought of going to Downtown Disney on this day, but in the evening we were all so tired that we were quite happy just to go to the "posh" restaurant in the hotel, Shutters. We even got dressed up for the occasion

The food there was excellent - most of the adults each had a 12oz steak - and the service unbeatable. I noticed how the sommelier was careful to ensure that the label of the wine bottle was always visible while he opened the bottle. Very impressive!

So the summary is a good day all round... we went to an early bed feeling content and ready for our early rise the following morning

More great photos and sounds like a good day was had by all after 'the chat'.

well done to Cameron for trying his first rollercoaster :thumbsup2

Another fab day!

We loved the Nemo show too, a great addition to AK. :thumbsup2 Well done Cameron for trying his first roller coaster.

:worship:your photo's are amazing.

glad you are enjoying disney AND quality time- that's what it's all about:goodvibes

my kids love pool time too and sometime us adults in the group just have to sacrifice park time- but if the kids are happy then we are too!;) you have a great family:grouphug:

Your Finding Nemo shots may not be up to your exacting standards, but they're the best I've ever seen.

I concur with the Finding Nemo photographs. Would like to know where your seating was? I stuck to video as I knew photos would be a struggle.

Thank you for all of the lovely comments on the reports and the photographs. And sorry for not having replied sooner; I;ve been away from home for a few days!

Cyrano, the photographs of Nemo were taken from the (audience's) left of centre, about three rows further away from the stage than the main aisle along which the audience enters. Hmm... that's a bit of a mouthful. I went into the theatre; the stage was on my left. I turned right, and went up about three rows.

The lens for that was an 18-200mm lens; I used pretty much all of the focal range but if I had to choose between a wide-angle and a telephoto for that event, it would have been the telephoto

Hope you get some decent pics :) I would recommend shooting RAW and re-processing them later; it means you don't have to get it exactly right first time!

regards,
/alan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter