the 100 proof vanilla is fantastic

pumba

DIS PUMBARIZER
we made our own vanilla this spring and it is about 9 weeks of sitting .....so the taste today in our home made vanilla ice cream came out fantastic......
two vanilla beans to one quart of vodka.....

leave it in a dark place and wait a few weeks.....the smell is totally awesome and flavor is the best.....

pumba, are you putting it up in jars or bottles for long term use? I never thought of homemade but the taste has to be better than the store bought stuff.

Thanks for the idea!! Enjoy that ice cream.....yummmmmm!

LOL! I'm surprised you can still see straight enough to type!

the good vanilla that my bil was getting was from Panama and that is 190 proof.....this is just regular vodka.....also that your vanilla in the stores........the pure vanilla has booze in it.......didn't know it until we started this with the vodka......then went to a store and looked at the ingredients of the vanilla ....and it was over 100 proof......and only a little bit goes a long long way....

I totally agree with you Pumba! My neighbors go on a church mission every year to Mexico and they graciously bring me back a bottle each time! Nothing like it. I never thought about making my own though. Be that would be great for mixed drinks too!;)

The Smirnoff vanilla infused vodka is really good with a coke! Tastes just like vanilla coke. I'll bet yours would too, and would make great a great holiday gift in a pretty bottle!

Candi

you are my kind of thinking person.......this sounds good
and all I ever did with vanilla was cook with it.....

I'll take a short of that for my coffee, I love vanilla spiked coffee. It sure does help to get a bad day started off in the opposite direction. Actually a second cup and even a cloudy day would look rosy.

Ok, educate the Brit here ;)

Pum's, did you basically just make your own Vanilla extract? You know, the good stuff that you use for cooking? Or is this something else :confused:

Mmmmm, I like the idea of Vanilla Vodka though...might be nice to try with white rum too! :)

good vanilla is very expensive.......and having someone go to Panama to bring only ONE back is a pain......so you basically get some vodka and some good vanilla beans and voila.......6-8 weeks later you have the great cooking vanilla.......not artifical.......

Oh, that stuff costs £6.50 ($10) for a teensy bottle here! Now all I have to do is get me some Vanilla Beans - would they be the same as what they call Vanilla Pods? With all the itty-bitty seeds inside?

I'm so excited :bounce: I can't wait to make Vanilla Rum! Um, Extract I mean ;)

Thanks Pumba, I will have to try this. Vanilla is wonderful.

BTW, when I was at VB Resort recently one of the waitresses told me to order a White Russian with the special homemade vanilla vodka the bartender makes. Wow, was that nice.

Pum, you are just so talented!! I am going to have to come visit you soon so you can share your extract with me! ;)

Pumba -- do you split the beans or put them in whole?

I guess you could cook and make mixed drinks with it. I bought a bottle of vanilla vodka not to long ago. It would be nice to make my own.

put them in whole and then just put the cover on the vodka......we got a half gallon of the stuff and yes I thought.......PEOPLE Must think I am a lush......hahaha.......but we put four beans in that one.....I really love a good vanilla flavor in my cookies and home made ice cream and also in my cheesecakes....so am anxious to try it out.....my brother in laws was a few weeks older then ours and his was outstanding

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter