• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving - Crowded compared to week before Easter?

PantherFanStan

Mouseketeer
Having just braved our first Easter (week before Easter) at Disney, we're now planning a Thanksgiving visit. Can anyone advise how this week might compare to Thanksgiving with respect to crowds?

Also, any estimates of what percent of the Christmas decorations might be up by Thanksgiving day? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Subject and body edited (I hope) for clarity.

alot is up on thanksgiving day - however the big Christmas Tree at the Mk was not - the day after thanksgiving it was up.

I think it is little less crowded than spring break - alot less if you are talking about Palm or Easter Sunday weeks.

more like a summer week in June.

I have a little trouble with this question because "spring break" is not one week. Are you talking about early in March? The week before or after Easter? Late April? Spring break can fall any time in March or April and the crowds vary during that time. It is not even consistant from year to year because Easter moves around and affects the crowds.

That said the heaviest crowds are the weeks before and after Easter. Earlier in March and later in April are usually lighter than the middle time period.

dizplanner said:
I have a little trouble with this question because "spring break" is not one week. Are you talking about early in March? The week before or after Easter? Late April? Spring break can fall any time in March or April and the crowds vary during that time. It is not even consistant from year to year because Easter moves around and affects the crowds.

That said the heaviest crowds are the weeks before and after Easter. Earlier in March and later in April are usually lighter than the middle time period.
dizplanner....You're right, my question wasn't nearly precise enough. I just returned from a trip during Holy Week (week before Easter)...which happened to be my kids' school's spring break. I realize that the crowds probably vary even within the Easter weeks -- meaning, I've been told that that Easter week (the week beginning Easter Sunday) was more crowded than Holy Week.

We've now decided to go back to WDW during the week of Thanksgiving...and I was wondering how the crowds that week might compare to Holy Week. I hope that makes it more clear...because I would really like to hear from those who've done both.

Thanks for your response.
PantherFanStan

during spring break 3/20 to3/27. Although the parks were crowded I think we did extremely well. We had bought the Unofficial Guide to WDW and read it cover to cover. Below is a link that will help you determine how busy the parks will be during your visit. We too are returning in November but the Sunday AFTER Thanksgiving which I am hoping will be better as far as crowds go. Here's the website and I hope it helps.....

Scroll down the page to check your dates.....

Also take notice of the dates that you just attended in respect to crowd levels, that'll give you a better idea..

http://www.touringplans.com/BestDays.htm

Alida

It should be much less crowded than the week you went.

Palm (holy) Sunday week and Easter week - are second and third to only Christmas to NY - as being crowded.

that say - the MK is still going to be busy - lots of people only go to the MK.

the MK can have tons of people and Epcot or Studios will be just about empty.

the MK definitely attracts more crowds over the holidays than the other places - and it is a shame - Epcot has so much to offer at this time.

We have not done Thanksgiving yet, but we had considered it so I had done some searches on the boards about crowd levels. Most people said if you are going the week of Thanksgiving, get MK done early in the week, because it will progressively get busier as the week goes. Most people said that Epcot absorbs crowds well, and is a better bet when things get really crowded. If it were me, I would commando style the parks Sun, Mon, and Tues, making sure to accomplish the things I absolutely wanted to do, and then just leisurely do the parks at the end of the week when the crowds get really bad. I think that Thanksgiving crowds will not be as bad as Easter, but they will be heavy. Be sure to schedule lots of PS for dining over those Thanksgiving Holidays and do it early to ensure your not eating burgers for every meal (If thats important to you). Have fun.

Since 1999 we've gone to OKW every other T'giving arriving the weekend before. The crowds get bigger as the week goes on but we always found them managable. The weekend after was the most crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter