Thank you Epcot for using paper straws and plates.Lets ban all plastic glasses as well.

WDWnative

Earning My Ears
The global movement to reduce waste and use natural products should be a key goal for Disney. Disney should ban all styrofoam onsite at parks, resorts, cruises, and vacation clubs. Ban all plastic straws, bowls, plates, and cups. Lastly, grow naturally onsite fruita and vegetables for select restaurants.

P&L@WDW

Mouseketeer
The global movement to reduce waste and use natural products should be a key goal for Disney. Disney should ban all styrofoam onsite at parks, resorts, cruises, and vacation clubs. Ban all plastic straws, bowls, plates, and cups. Lastly, grow naturally onsite fruita and vegetables for select restaurants.
Have you ever actually visited Disney and EPCOT? Try taking the Living with the Land ride/tour. They DO grow naturally onsite fruit and vegetables, as well as fish.

• Kennywood

Kennywood
    How do you sustain this? The reason everything switched to plastic is because everyone was screaming about cutting down all the trees for paper. So, things were switched to plastic. Recycling, while helpful, won't fill the gap. You're just going to wind up back at the beginning and cutting down more and more trees.

Welsh_Dragon

DIS Veteran
    When did it become normal for adults, predominantly females, to use straws? I understand that people with disabilities may need to use straws.

Personally I hate straws in my drinks. If my g and t needs stirring provide me with a twizzle stick.😉

gdrj

Boardwalk owner since 1999
    And and travelers to WDW should walk and stop taking planes and the busses from the airport. They should get rid of all heat and AC too!

(You do realize Disney has been a leader in reducing waste right?).

• AurumPunzel

DIS Veteran
    Paper straws have a bigger environmental impact than plastic. The manufacturing process from the cutting down of the trees to the processing of pulp, and transportation, is far worse than the process to manufacture plastic. Also, paper straws cannot be recycled and often turn to mush in certain drinks, which render them useless, and you'd need more than one straw to finish off one drink if you intend to take a long time to consume the drink, which cancels out any supposed environmental benefit of paper. Not to mention that plastic straws only make up 0.03% of all oceanic plastic waste.

chainkid

DIS Veteran
    I hate paper straws so much . It spoils the taste of my drink . Slobs who litter spoil it for everyone.

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
    Paper straws have a bigger environmental impact than plastic. The manufacturing process from the cutting down of the trees to the processing of pulp, and transportation, is far worse than the process to manufacture plastic. Also, paper straws cannot be recycled and often turn to mush in certain drinks, which render them useless, and you'd need more than one straw to finish off one drink if you intend to take a long time to consume the drink, which cancels out any supposed environmental benefit of paper. Not to mention that plastic straws only make up 0.03% of all oceanic plastic waste.

I can never get on board with something that goes like "well, X is only a small percentage of trash, so let's not try and fix that small amount." Small steps are at least steps.

AurumPunzel

DIS Veteran
    I can never get on board with something that goes like "well, X is only a small percentage of trash, so let's not try and fix that small amount." Small steps are at least steps.
    But they are still a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of waste Third World countries dump in the ocean every year.

• MeridaAnn

Semi-Local Disney & Universal AP Holder
    If Disney and Universal are going to switch to solely paper straws, like they have, I guess they need to stop selling milkshakes and rootbeer floats, because the paper straws do not work with them. I got a milkshake at the Diner at Universal on my last visit and had to use a spoon to eat it because the paper straw literally did not work - it couldn't create the needed suction to drink the milkshake. So I just ended up with a soupy cup of ice cream. :(

AurumPunzel

DIS Veteran
    So???? We should just continue to pollute at will as we can't stop entirely?
    No. Pressure the countries that dump the most into sorting out their own waste management infrastructure, while at home, improve the existing infrastructure by building more MRFs that can process all types of plastic, even the so-called ‘difficult’ products. Signal virtue all you like, but it’ll make little difference until the worst polluters (which are in Asia and Africa) take real action.

Buttcracker

Applesauce
    Don't forget about the people that crop dust while waiting in line-those gases are contributing to climate change!

I remember when we used to care about trees and not waste so much paper....turtles > trees!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.