THANK YOU DISBOARDS- Our First Trip Dining Review

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
Hi! We just got back from our first Disney trip- May 22, 2010- May 27, 2010 and I can't wait to tell you all about the amazing (and some mediocre) restaurants we tried.

First- a Huge THANK YOU to the Disboard! Without all of you, your advice, your reviews, your pictures, I would never have been able to obtain, choose, and experience some great restaurants.

DH (33), Myself (29), DS (4), and DD (1) purchased the regular dining plan, and we absolutely plan on doing so next time. It worked out perfectly for our family!

Up for Review:

Saturday, May 22
Ohana (D)

Sunday, May 23
Chef Mickey's (B)
Starring Rolls (L)
Wolfgang Puck Express (D)

Monday, May 24
Crystal Palace (B)
Cinderella's Royal Table (L)
Riverside Mill Food Court (D)

Tuesday, May 25
Riverside (B)
Lunch ?
Boma (D)

Wednesday, May 26
Riverside (B)
Tangierene Cafe (L)
French Bakery (S)
Le Cellier (D)

can't wait to read more :thumbsup2...always love to hear from "first timers"...especially want your take on the "hyped" places like Le Cellier & Boma.

I'm in. I can't wait to read about your CRT experience. We're having lunch there in September.

Ok First up: Ohana

We had a 5:05pm ADR on our first night in Disney. We checked in to POR around Noon- dropped off our bags (room was ready early- awesome) and headed straight to MK since we were too exited to sit still. We grabbed a quick snack from Main Street bakery (LOVED IT) which was nice because it got us out of the heat for a while. We then walked around Main Street- went to the Tiki Room and headed to the Poly via monorail. My ds really enjoyed the monorail ride. We were still about an hour early so we walked around the poly for a while and dreamed of staying there one day.

So, it was around 4:30pm and we decided to head over to Ohana- WOW! There was already a line forming- which I heard about from the disboard- so we stood in line which now looking back was a bit silly- the kids were getting quite restless-just waiting- I should have strolled them around a bit more before getting into line. To pass the time a bit faster I made them stand under the Ohana sign for a quick pic...

DISNEY074.jpg

DISNEY118.jpg

After a long wait (ok it wasnt that bad, I was just excited to get in there) they opened the restaurant and we were handed our pager. After ten minutes it went off and we were sat one row from the windows over looking the lake- amazing table I thought. The view added a lot to the atmosphere.

DISNEY082.jpg

Our server, forgot her name, quickly took our drink order, and told us that the kids could have anything they wanted to eat- including my 1 year old who obviously wasn't on the dining plan. We then ordered drinks- DS had a lightup buzz cup (great for entertainment), DD had milk, I ordered a Magic Star cocktail (looked different than what was shown on the drink menu- but tasty) and DH had red wine (I think)

DISNEY089.jpg

Whoops- forgot to mention our server grabbed the bread before seating us...

DISNEY083.jpg

Bread- we liked it- it held us over before we were bombarded with the other food- nothing spectacular though. Were they supposed to give us butter? They didn't. I should have asked

We waited about five minutes and out came our drinks and the kids meal (standard chicken nuggets and fries- enough to feed 4 kids easily) and then seriously BAM- out came the salad

DISNEY085-1.jpg

two minutes later out came wings/dumplings

DISNEY086-1.jpg

out came the noodles and the broccoli

DISNEY090.jpg

DISNEY091.jpg

I am seriously about to have an anxiety attack just thinking about how fast the food was placed on the table.... the small 4 seat table- now crowded with food, and drinks, and plates.

I took a deep breath, and then started to eat- and? The food was actually pretty good!

I loved the salad. The dressing was nice, not too much, not too little, great flavor and the lettuce was fresh it seemed. I would have loved some other veggies in there, but what can you do.

The wings had a great flavor, and were a nice temperature. I am not a big wing person but I still ate two for good measure.

The pot stickers- (thats what they are called right? EDITED: WRONG they are called dumplings )- They could have been a bit fresher, warmer, something...... cant put my finger on it- though with that said- they were Fabulous when dipped in one of the three provided dips- the peanut one I think, or maybe it was the sweet and sour.... hmmmm... either way- loved them and if I had more room I may have ate more than the 3 I had.

Noodles- good- they were noodles lol- for sure I would eat them again

Broccoli- bleh- I love broccoli- my favorite veggie. However, Ohana's broccoli on this day was overcooked and mushy- I was sad

Just as I was about to have more salad the meat people came out- Oh No! I was finally relaxed, and not feeling very hungry anymore! Thankfully, the meat people didn't annoy us, or circle or table with replacements like I have heard they sometimes do.

DISNEY097.jpg

First off, all the meat was better when dipped in the sauces!

Steak- I love steak and mine was overcooked and YIKES "dry" just like my dis-friends said it would be. Though DH had a nice medium cooked piece and nicely offered it to me- it was good.

Shrimp- sorry, dont eat shrimp. DH did look funny pealing it though. He said it was pretty good

Pork- Tasty, not dry- I liked it

Turkey- ok, when I first heard the poultry was turkey, and not chicken I was quite skeptical- after trying it- I realized I LOVE turkey on a skewer- it was great- nicely cooked, not dry at all!

Finally- desert. It seemed like it took the longest amount of time to get desert. Maybe because I was looking forward to trying it. Maybe because I was used to the super fast service from the appetizers/sides. Maybe because I was stuffed, the kids were getting cranky, and I was ready to head back to the resort....

DISNEY109.jpg

Anyways, the desert came, and it was fabulous. I really liked the sauce that you pour on top of the ice cream- and I am not a big desert eater- though I made an exception for Ohana's bread pudding....

DISNEY114.jpg

(Let me know which picture size is better for future posts- this last one: BIG or the other ones: Medium- THANKS)-edited to resize

Overall- I really enjoyed Ohana. I am really glad we went. I was scared at first by the rushed and overwhelming feeling you get when the food is brought out. But really, in the end, our server left us alone, was beyond pleasant, and let us soak in the Disney Magic. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone- especially BIG eaters (I did feel a bit guilty when they cleared all the plates and most were 3/4 full still). My advice is to let them bring out the appetizers and then slow down the meal by taking your time before and while the meat comes out. Don't be scared to turn down the meat if you aren't ready for it yet- they will come back and bring it to you when you are ready.

Great Ohana review.:thumbsup2 The bread pudding sauce is scrumptious, right? Anyhow, thanks for sharing and the last pic you posted was a perfect size. All the other ones before it of the food were small. Looking forward to the reading the rest and your little kids are adorable.:goodvibes

Yes the bread pudding sauce was so good- seriously I could have had just that and the ice cream and been happy :)

I resized all the pics- hopefully the details are better now. Sorry about the lack of meat pictures- at that point the kids were starting to lose it.

DH may be on to give his review of Ohana at some point in the next day or so... I am trying to convince him

Oh and before I forget- I was told and nervous about the loud noise level in the restaurant- especially during the kid shenanigans when sitting in the main dinning room- we were literally right by the luau leader and? It wasn't that bad at all! Though- I may be a bit more accustomed to the noise since I have two little ones :)

DISNEY096.jpg

DH here.

First time posting to the DIS boards on the suggestion of DW. I was however definitely reading the forums a lot leading up to our trip though. Thanks for all the great info!

On to Ohana.

First let me talk about what I had read about the meal: Mixed reviews, with lots dry meat complaints and noisy atmosphere comments. Overall I probably had slightly lower than average expectations. My initial exposure to Ohana did nothing to change that. We must have stood in line for 30 minutes. Luckily the kids were tired out from exploring Magic Kingdom. When our buzzer finally went off, everything changed, the action jumped from the speed of molasses to that of a raging river.

Our server guided us through the dining room, giving a brief summary of what we were about to experience. She grabbed our bread, took us to the table and took our drink orders. I must say she was quite pleasant and accommodating.

The bread was nothing special; actually borderline stale. I didn't really notice the sweet flavor they were going for. It did however provide the perfect antidote to 2 cranky, hungry children.

Next came the salad. Certainly a highlight for me. Crisp romaine and shredded carrots tossed with a tangy citrus vinaigrette. I had 3 plates!

I believe the wings and dumplings followed. The wings were sticky sweet with a nice dose of tang, just as advertised. I could have eaten a few more. The dumpling filling had fantastic flavor, but I would have preferred them steamed as opposed to fried. The crunchy dumpling wrapper didn't do it for me.

Broccoli and noodles followed. The broccoli also had sugar snap peas along for the ride and some more shredded carrots. The noodles were, well, noodles. I only had one bite. I liked the veggies though. While a touch overcooked, I finished the bowl. The salad and broccoli bowls were the only empties we managed to generate all night.

There was finally a break between the veggie/noodle service and the meat. I think I would have liked the meat a bit sooner though so I could have enjoyed it with the other items. By the time the turkey arrived we were basically finished with everything else.

Turkey, pork loin, steak, shrimp. The turkey was the best, IMO. Succulent and moist, with just the right amount of char, quite a surprise. The pork arrived next and although a bit dry, it was still enjoyable. The steak was hit or miss. I think it was a sirloin cut. I had a couple pieces cooked to medium that were nice and couple that reminded me of the shoes I left in my closet at home (not that I typically eat shoes or anything). The shrimp was tasty, but I would have liked more spice on them. There were 3 sauces that we used to dip just about every course in. I remember a peanut, maybe a sweet and sour, and Ohana BBQ maybe. All were good, the peanut being my fave.

The activities started around the beginning of the meat course. All the kids in the room were invited out for what looked like a congo line straight outta Romper Room. Then they learned some luau dance moves. All 4 of us went up and danced around a bit and then received our leis.

Desert came next and was the highlight of the meal. Scrumptious bread pudding, rich vanilla bean specked ice cream topped with a decadent banana caramel sauce that oozed Hawaiian magic. Possibly the best desert I had during our WDW vacation.

As we were wrapping up and getting ready to head to POR for the night the coconut race started, DS didn't participate, but I wish he would have, it looked fun!

All in all I give Ohana a big two thumbs up. It exceeded my expectations and then some. The noise was much less than advertised. Some fabulous food and some average but nothing was terrible, well except maybe a couple pieces of steak. The extracurricular dancing and marching made for great family memories and I met about 56 cousins I never knew I had.

Sorry no pix alongside my review. I'm not that savvy yet. :)

Next Up:

CHEF MICKEYS!

We made our ADR for 7am on our first official Disney morning. I spent the last few weeks leading up to our trip nervous about the early morning wake up that our ADR would require. However the 7am breakfast fit into our plans to be at DHS for SWW rope drop. Before we left for the trip we decided to take a taxi from our resort, POR, to the Contemporary to save us some precious sleeping time. I am super glad we did!

We got to Bell Services around 6:40am and requested a taxi, with car seat. It arrived within five minutes which was awesome. A few minutes, and $15 later we arrived at The Contemporary. We rode the ridiculously fast elevators up to the restaurant and loved the atmosphere. As soon as I saw the Chef Mickey's sign I was super excited!

WDW034.jpg

There were only a handful of people infront of us, and the line moved quickly. We recieved our pager, and went straight to the picture line. We stood in line maybe 5 minutes for the picture, which was awesome since I heard that the line could take forever! After the picture, we waited another 5 minutes and our pager went off.

We were seated in what I am assuming is the main dining room with the wall of windows. The tables were close together but didnt take away from our dining experience. I have heard horrible reviews about the cleanliness of Chef Mickey's and honestly? I didn't notice anything that bothered me at all. The one negative to being in the room we were in is that it was a bit hard to get good pictures with the sun glare in the background!

DISNEY144.jpg

DISNEY152.jpg

Character Experience: My kids LOVED seeing the characters (actually, my 1yo was excited as long as they weren't close to her face....once they came up to her she would freak). They came out from a door that was close to our table, and then went around to a few tables before stopping to see us. It was really nice to be in the main room, and have the characters greet us without a long wait! Sure, the characters didn't take a ton of time with my little ones- but we were able to take a few pictures with each character and have them sign our book. I didn't feel rushed with the characters in the slightest.

Food: It was decent at best in my opinion. Its a great buffet for kids- tons of pancakes, waffles, potatos, etc. I couldnt find any cream cheese for my bagel for some reason. The potatos were good, as was the sausage. I barely had time to eat since I was busy cutting up the kids' food, taking pictures, etc. I have read many times that you don't go to Character meals for the food- and with Chef Mickey's, I agree. The buffet line was clean, and completely uncrowded. Maybe it was because we were there at opening- but we had no wait at all for the food- which is really nice with two hungry little ones at 7am. I apologize but I didn't take pictures of the food at CM- again, too busy with the kids :)

WDW042.jpg

Picture: As I said, we barely had to wait for them to take our picture. Yes, a CM will come to your table and had you a folder containing your picture package and tell you how much it would be to buy. I didn't feel like we were pressured in any way by the CM to buy the package. He didn't linger at the table- just dropped it off and walked away. DH and I both agreed we weren't going to buy the package before we went to the restaurant, and I even considered skipping the photo all together after reading some advice on here. I am SO glad that we didnt listen. I am SO glad that we took the picture and I took two seconds to open the folder- I fell completely in love with the photo, and didn't hesitate to pay the $30 for the package. Maybe its because it was our first Disney trip at a magical feeling restaurant- I couldn't resist- and I have no regrets. As soon as I get my photopass CD I will upload the picture here (dont forget that if you buy the package you can have them add the photo to your photopass card).

Overall, I would for sure recommend Chef Mickey's to anyone interested in seeing the characters and up for a typical breakfast meal. Seeing my kids' faces light up when Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto came out was completely worth the money and early morning wake up. Next time we go to Disney I for sure would love to get the 7am reservation again.

Subscribing, great reviews so far. We felt much the same about Ohanas dinner, fine if nothing special but great views of the castle - much prefer the breakfast.

Never been to CM.

aww thank you! I'll be back tomorrow with more if the kids let me have ten minutes to myself :)

Ha! I know how that goes! The moment you finally sit down to the computer, suddenly... someone's hungry... someone has a boo boo... someone's bored... someone's crying... someone needs a drink... etc.

We're patient people around here... so don't worry! :)

Keep up the good work! We'll look forward to more whenever it is that you're able to update this.

I can't wait to read the rest of the reviews. Most of the places you went to are on our list and my kids are the same ages as yours so I look forward to their reactions.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter