Terrible chills on Benadryl?

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
I have a call in to my doctor, but I thought I'd ask here also... has anyone ever gotten really bad chills from taking Benadryl? I came down with a cold while traveling, and I took Benadryl one night to clear my sinuses and help me sleep, and I woke up in the middle of the night with the WORST chills I think I've ever had. I attributed it to having had a few sips of champagne (I know, bad idea) so the next night I opted to take it again, without champagne, and the same thing happened. Like teeth chattering chills, I thought my skeleton was going to shiver to pieces before I could get back under the covers, but once I was back under the blankets they went away and I was fine.

Last night I took nothing, just to see if the chills were maybe due to whatever I have, and not the medicine, and no chills. I woke up about 4 AM stuffy so I took some Sudafed non-drowsy product and went back to sleep, no issues, no chills.

I do have mild high BP so I take something for that right before bed, I Googled to see if they were safe to take together, and the consensus seemed to be they were okay as long as I was on a low dose of both. The second night, I didn't take my BP med, just in case it was lowering me too much, and still had the chills.

I've taken Benadryl in the past and haven't had this happen. It was my seasonal allergy go-to until I found out about the links with dementia.

I have a call in to my doctor, but I thought I'd ask here also... has anyone ever gotten really bad chills from taking Benadryl? I came down with a cold while traveling, and I took Benadryl one night to clear my sinuses and help me sleep, and I woke up in the middle of the night with the WORST chills I think I've ever had. I attributed it to having had a few sips of champagne (I know, bad idea) so the next night I opted to take it again, without champagne, and the same thing happened. Like teeth chattering chills, I thought my skeleton was going to shiver to pieces before I could get back under the covers, but once I was back under the blankets they went away and I was fine.

Last night I took nothing, just to see if the chills were maybe due to whatever I have, and not the medicine, and no chills. I woke up about 4 AM stuffy so I took some Sudafed non-drowsy product and went back to sleep, no issues, no chills.

I do have mild high BP so I take something for that right before bed, I Googled to see if they were safe to take together, and the consensus seemed to be they were okay as long as I was on a low dose of both. The second night, I didn't take my BP med, just in case it was lowering me too much, and still had the chills.

I've taken Benadryl in the past and haven't had this happen. It was my seasonal allergy go-to until I found out about the links with dementia.
Very strange, @Princesca. I've never had that happen nor know of anyone who has had that happen. Good you have contacted your doctor. Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Benadryl CAN cause anxiety and panic attacks can cause uncontrollable shaking. I've had it happen several times (the panic attacks with uncintrollable shaking, not due to Benadryl).

However, are you sure you don't have covid? Chills and cold symptoms are hallmarks.

Did you actually feel cold? That wouldn't be a benadryl thing. That's your body responding to an infection.

Benadryl CAN cause anxiety and panic attacks can cause uncontrollable shaking. I've had it happen several times (the panic attacks with uncintrollable shaking, not due to Benadryl).

However, are you sure you don't have covid? Chills and cold symptoms are hallmarks.

Did you actually feel cold? That wouldn't be a benadryl thing. That's your body responding to an infection.
I'm not sure what I have, but I only experienced the chills with benadryl. At no other point during the day when I wasn't on it or since I quit taking it. I didn't feel anxious or panicked, just super cold.

It did occur to me I might have gotten COVID for the first time, but because it happened over NYE and while we were traveling (no contact), I hadn't had the chance to take a test. My wife is sicker than me so I might see if she will take one. I'm not sure I would trip it at this point.

Welp, I do have COVID. First time! So that explains the weird chills, probably, and the Benadryl timing is probably coincidental. But I'll still check with the doctor.

Welp, I do have COVID. First time! So that explains the weird chills, probably, and the Benadryl timing is probably coincidental. But I'll still check with the doctor.

Sorry you have covid. Hope you recover quickly!

When I had it, I only had chills at night, when trying to fall asleep. Happened 2 nights in a row. Didn't happen any other time during the day or after the second night.

Sorry you have covid. Hope you recover quickly!

When I had it, I only had chills at night, when trying to fall asleep. Happened 2 nights in a row. Didn't happen any other time during the day or after the second night.
That's exactly what happened to me, though in the middle of the night when I got up to use the bathroom! Just uncontrollable shivering until I got back into bed and then I was fine. Weird.

That's exactly what happened to me, though in the middle of the night when I got up to use the bathroom! Just uncontrollable shivering until I got back into bed and then I was fine. Weird.

Same thing happened to my husband when he had covid. Except he would only feel chills/cold on his head (he is bald). But it would only happen in the middle of the night when he got up to use the bathroom.

Just checked the description of Benadryl on the Canadian Pharmacy site and didn't find chills in the list of side effects. Maybe this is an individual sensitivity to the drug. So, it is great that you addressed a doctor.
As for Paracetamol, I also prefer it over Benadryl when I have a cold. Moreover, I read that Benadryl may have a small effect on some cold symptoms in adults. If I don't have Paracetamol, I take Ibuprofen instead.

Last edited:
Just checked the description of Benadryl and didn't find chills in the list of side effects. Maybe this is an individual sensitivity to the drug. So, it is great that you addressed a doctor.
As for Paracetamol, I also prefer it over Benadryl when I have a cold. Moreover, I read that Benadryl may have a small effect on some cold symptoms in adults. If I don't have Paracetamol, I take Ibuprofen instead.

This person had covid. That was the chills. This is an old post.

Paracetamol and benadryl are not anything alike. They do completely different things and you wouldn't substitute one for the other. If you are having uncontrollable runny nose and sneezing, you need an antihistamine (Benadryl). If you have a headache, sore throat, fever or body aches, you need acetaminophen (Paracetamol).

Paracetamol is for fever and aches, and Benadryl is for symptoms related to allergies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter