Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Thank you! We are soooo excited! Big families are awesome!

I'm 25 weeks now and have gained 16 pounds. Really happy with that. I have been eating well with very little junk. I am anemic however, quite anemic. I need to work on more meat sources of iron and supplements. I'm loving salads and fruit, but meat is harder to consume this pregnancy. I've battled anemia with each pregnancy - I don't know where the iron goes. I started out with amazing iron and ferritin and by 10 weeks it was all gone. I've dropped from 145 hemoglobin to 100, and my ferritin from 45 to 6! Without bleeding significantly. Where does it go?!? I am a big meat eater and have tried to eat as much meat as I can in pregnancy - as well as non-heme sources like leafy greens, iron-fortified cereals, blackstrap molasses, etc. It's a mystery as to how I dropped so much so quickly. But each pregnancy has been the same.

My previa cleared but I feel like I lost too much fitness to hit things hard. I started prenatal yoga, am starting with a trainer today to work on core and upper body, and have started seeing my physio again to finish healing my foot. He says my hip is the problem and the nerves are impacted all the way down to my foot and we have to work on that. So I feel like I am working on flexibility, core and my foot. Not too bad.

We booked a room for next May for Tinkerbell! DP and I are both going to the Pixie Dust Challenge. We'll have to bring a niece as a babysitter. I needed a goal race! Still considering Princess 10k in Feb as a nice motivation, too.

Goals:
Start running in December (baby 6-8 weeks old)
Lose all baby weight by Feb (back to 240s- 4 months to lose 20ish pounds - plus about 12 pounds will be by the delivery day!)
Lose another 20 pounds by Pixie Dust (220s) (3 months to lose 20 pounds)
Gain flexibility and complement running with yoga
Start weight lifting again by January
Finish Dopey 2017
Stay injury-free

That is my update. Thanks for all the support.

Finished with the trainer (he was here to start with my partner while I was writing my update). Felt great to get back into things. One exercise involved a twist which the baby belly didn't like, but other than that it felt great. I think I'll be feeling it tomorrow in my biceps, triceps and shoulders. Was really good not to be sitting on the sidelines again. It was a good workout, but not vigourous.

Walked 3.5k today - at almost 7 months pregnant that felt enough. I was getting a couple contractions and some round ligament pain, so was happy to be back home at the end of it. Tomorrow I will go for another good walk and Monday the trainer comes back. My upper body is a little sore from yesterday.

Weight was down another pound. Now I've only gained 15 pounds. I'm not trying to lose weight - just keep the gains reasonable. I think I was retaining a bit of water, and I think with the exercise it's shifted.

Still doing physio exercised, a little yoga, and being active. I got a terrible chest virus that was really making it hard to breathe. Had to suck back to Ventolin, but I'm all good now! Yoga tonight.

Weight is great: I'm up 20 pounds at 29 weeks. Happy with that.

My lovely man and I signed up for the Pixie Dust Challenge in May 2016. We booked a 1bdrm at VGC and will bring a friend or a niece to babysit during the races. It's my first event since I stopped running, and will surely be motivation to get off my bum after the baby comes. I am hoping to score some 10k entries for Princess as my first race back, but we shall see.

We got in to the Princess 10k through a running group I belong to! Wish I would be fit enough for the HM but there's no way I should be aiming for that just a few months after the baby comes with my foot's history. So I am excited to train for the 10k. I believe I could do that untrained, just not well or as comfortably, and risking an injury. So as the plan stands, have baby in October, start running in December! I can't wait until the baby is old enough for a jogging stroller (~6 months) and it will be so much easier to get out.

We recently returned from an impromptu trip from WDW. We left early Friday and returned late Monday. It was a fair amount of walking (though less than usual because I took a lot of breaks being 7.5 months pregnant) and we averaged about 7-10km a day walking, or rather, waddling. Yesterday I was positively lazy, so I need to get out again today walking. We also got a pool installed and I've been swimming and being active in the pool. I'm doing lengths now, but find any breath holding taxing as I feel short of breath most of the time. I am anemic and I need to get better at taking my supplements.

I haven't made it to yoga hardly at all. It just seems like life has gotten in the way. I need to recommit to it. I honestly keep forgetting :-( I'm going to sign up for another session and get my butt out there.

Not much to update but still at 20# weight gain at 31.5 weeks. Working hard on my diet. Swimming most days, but it's just dog paddling, really. I can't hold my breath without feeling comfortable for proper strokes.

I want to start tracking my diet. I am anemic and need to bring up my iron, and I want to be accountable.

Snack (yesterday):
1 oz blue cheese
4 Stone ground crackers
2 fresh figs

Dinner (yesterday):
8oz grilled steak
10 asparagus spears
pan-sauteed zucchini
2 ears corn with salt and butter

Snack:
2 Aussie bites

Breakfast:
2 eggs with sautéed red peppers in a small amount of butter
1/4 c cheese
2 tbsp guacamole
3 spears pineapple
small latte, 1/2 tsp raw honey

Lunch:
2 cobs fresh corn, no seasoning
1 cup quinoa
chickpea, tomato and zucchini stew
1/8 cup cheese

Snack:
-tea with milk and 1/4 tsp raw honey
-2 Aussie bites

Last edited:
So glad all is going well Terapin! I love the idea of having races on the calendar to get off your bum! You sound so active and making great healthy choices! Keep up the great work!

33.3 weeks and still at 20# weight gain. Yay! I'm eating well, and eating enough, just not gaining. My ankles still look like ankles and overall I feel good. This week I am super affected by the heat. It seems I can never get cool enough. Last week I was fine.

Yesterday I bought new running shoes and a couple running things: t-shirt, tank and running tights in one size bigger. I was finding it very demotivating to have clothes to work out in that didn't fit. So come December I have new shoes and some new clothes that will fit and I can start off on a good foot! We have a personal trainer coming to the house for DP and I will start with him when the baby is 6 or 8 weeks old. Can't wait to lose the weight and get back to a body I feel more comfortable in. I have this terrible pouchy belly at the bottom and it needs to goooooooo!

In the end I ended up gaining about 28 pounds or so, and a fair amount of fluid. The baby gained almost a pound a week said the ultrasound so I didn't feel it was me necessarily gaining too much, even at a pound a week.

Our sweet baby was born October 3rd and she weighed 7-7. It was a long and difficult birth at times, but she's here and perfect. 3 days after birth I am suffering a little fluid retention and lost about 11 pounds immediately. I'm not weight obsessed, I am just tracking it down. I'm not ready to start exercising yet -things have been a little rough. I am looking forward to a nice walk this weekend if all is well.

Looking at booking Disneyland Paris HM but the lack of information is frustrating.

So good to hear from you Terrapin! Congrats on the safe arrival of your baby girl!

GetTravel sent me an email about Paris today. They were offering packages. My running buddy and I talked about it, but I just don't see myself wanting to waste a trip abroad to go to a Disney park.

You sound very aware of your body and taking things slow will stave off injury! Take care!

So good to hear from you Terrapin! Congrats on the safe arrival of your baby girl!

GetTravel sent me an email about Paris today. They were offering packages. My running buddy and I talked about it, but I just don't see myself wanting to waste a trip abroad to go to a Disney park.

You sound very aware of your body and taking things slow will stave off injury! Take care!

We are still deciding on Paris - I haven't seen package pricing yet - and am deciding on hotel based on pricing.

Thanks very much! She is one week old today!

Ok, this is my starting point: I ended pregnancy at about 272 (total gain: 28 pounds). Today at one week postpartum I am 248. It sure feels good to be that much lighter!

Lunch (yesterday): garlic beef and veggies on rice (1/2 order)
Dinner: homemade meatloaf and cut up fruit
Breakfast: protein bites (peanut and carob-based), oatmeal and a serving of cheese.

I need more veggies and a more balanced diet, but it's what I can grab! Going out for a walk today - likely 3k or so.

Today I am at 239. The weight is falling off, but I suspect it was fluid retention. My feet are back to how they usually work, and I don't get edema if I am sitting for awhile anymore. I went for a 3.5k walk on Monday, and will do another today. I am eating 'clean' and sticking to meals with only fruit or veggie snacks in between. I need to eat and drink enough to keep my milk production up, so I think from here the weight loss will be slower.

Today:
2 eggs
3 slices bacon
2 crumpets with butter
1 small glass milk
2 very small lattees

We signed up for the DLP HM next fall. Woot!

I have been walking about 3-4k most days since last update. It feels great. Even did a light amount of running with the kids pole to pole. My weight is 237.5. Happy with that! Feeling more and more like me as I get my strength back and weight down. Baby Gwendolyn is 2.5 weeks old. I find she needs some good quiet periods during the day or she gets wound up. She loves the stroller and walking, though, and we are going out for a walk this afternoon.

Starting to log on MFP and such. I need to drink more water, but we are on well water and I prefer the filtered water downstairs, so I find myself occasionally trapped with a nurseling upstairs and no water. I need to prepare better, and may switch to bottled water for a couple weeks until things are a little slower.

I ran a little without my orthotics and that was dumb. My foot hurt a little for a couple days as the foot was not happy unsupported.

Hello! Weight is currently 235.5 I went for my first 'run' on Saturday with a friend who wants to learn to run so it was a nice easy run with short intervals. We went about 3km in 30 mins. My foot didn't hurt afterwards, hallelujah! I still live in fear of the pain returning. We were supposed to run again today but she cancelled and we rebooked for tomorrow instead. I also walked another 3km with my kids while they were trick or treating. I was a bit stiff the next day from Friday and Saturday.

I started working out with the trainer for real on Friday. We did about 45 minutes of mostly core, a little arm work and leg work. My right hip area has been bothering me since the birth and I have a bit of weakness in that leg when climbing stairs, so we are working on that. It feels like a bit of a pinched nerve as I also have some sciatica with it.

I am feeling better in my skin but still feeling quite overweight. I ate a little candy over Hallowe'en but not too very much. Dinner tonight is a very basic homemade meatloaf (extra lean ground), cooked carrots and basmati rice. We are heading out of town for work shortly and I don't want to buy many groceries until we are back. Breakfast was granola with milk, lunch was ravioli, and my snack was a cheese string and a small piece of naan. Quite a crappy food day. The trainer is back tomorrow.

I wanted to pop in for an update! I got a wicked cold in December that has just finally gone away, with only some asthma remaining. I went up and down a bit in my weight but I am sitting at 232 right now and working hard to lose, after a couple weeks of just trying to maintain over the holidays. I struggle with hunger sometimes. Tonight we had roast beef, sautéed spinach, brussel sprouts and a slice of low carb/low sugar bread with butter. Lunch was leftover chinese but I had egg foo yong (no carbs - mostly eggs and bean sprouts), an egg roll (some carbs), and a mandarin orange. I can't remember what breakfast was - I may have skipped it and just eaten an early lunch.

I have been running, but not very far and not very fast. I'm back to running and building up so that's what counts! Yay!

Thanks! No weight loss to report as things are yo-yoing up and down but I am feeling good about my short runs. They are going well, they suck less each time, and I am getting a little faster each time as well.

My goal is to continue running about 3k each run and work up to a better, more consistent pace, then build up my distance a bit, then work on my speed, and so on, until I am running 10k at a pace I am comfortable with (about 8:00/km including intervals). Then training for the half-marathon in May!

I am having some IT pain so I am working on stretching a few times a week. I don't really like it but I need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!