Tentative Day Itinerary at Disneyland

If I were you, I'd plan to get there earlier. It could take you an hour just to park (I saw someone today on social media post that it took her 2 hrs just to park and get to the security check). Try to be at the gates by 7 am. If the lines seem manageable, go to Starbucks or La Brea Bakery in DTD for coffee/food while waiting for the gates to open.

I definitely think you underestimated the lines. Plan for at least 20 min in each ride line unless you have a fast pass/single rider (and even then, it can take a while). I also think you underestimated how long it'll take to walk between places, especially if they're controlling the flow of people to SWGE and making you walk directions you don't want to go. For example, it could definitely take you more than 10 minutes to get from Hungry Bear to Small World.

Unless you have your heart set on specific food items, I'd play that part by ear. Bengal BBQ alone took like 30 minutes when I was there in March. There's TONS of great food all over the parks. It's not worth spending 30 min in line for food. Tropical Hideaway next to Jungle Cruise is a good substitute for Bengal BBQ because you can get food (I recommend the beef bao and the ramen shaker salad) AND three flavors of Dole Whip in the same place.

Like someone else said earlier, I'd get to the Royal Theater early, like 15 minutes, if you want to make sure you get in. Maurice's Treats (the cart next to the theater) has delicious snacks and my favorite icy beverage, the boysenapple freeze.

Are you getting Max Passes? Those will save you time and are worth every penny IMO, especially if you're trying to do everything in one day.

FWIW I think Alice in Wonderland is the best ride in Fantasyland. I'd prioritize that over Mad Tea Party and Peter Pan.
Okay, we can plan to get there an hour or 30 minutes earlier than originally planned but that may not work...

Yeah, I was probably too optimistic. I'll do some adding of times for walking and line-waiting.

Nope, I just put in Bengal BBQ because that was suggested but we'll more likely just stop by wherever's convenient!

We don't really mind if we do or don't do the Royal Theatre so it doesn't really matter to us.

Yes, I'll be getting a MaxPass but my dad and sister won't (the only ride we'd need to use FP for for them would be small world, but if you suggest that all three of us get MP I'll consider).

Mad Tea Party is a tradition for us so we can't not do it - it's a must, it has nostalgia in it for us and we adore it. I wanted to try PP because I heard that it was the best ride in Fantasyland but honestly don't know - we've never tried PP or Alice in Wonderland before.

Okay, we can plan to get there an hour or 30 minutes earlier than originally planned but that may not work...
I wanted to try PP because I heard that it was the best ride in Fantasyland but honestly don't know - we've never tried PP or Alice in Wonderland before.
I used to think PP was the best ride in Fantasyland, but it's sooooooo short and the line always seems to be 45+ min and IMO the refurbishment from a couple of years ago added nothing to the experience. Alice, on the other hand, REALLY upgraded with their recent refurbishment. The way they combined the traditional black light elements with the new digital stuff is impressive, so that's now my #1 Fantasyland recommendation. I'm sure you'd enjoy both!

I used to think PP was the best ride in Fantasyland, but it's sooooooo short and the line always seems to be 45+ min and IMO the refurbishment from a couple of years ago added nothing to the experience. Alice, on the other hand, REALLY upgraded with their recent refurbishment. The way they combined the traditional black light elements with the new digital stuff is impressive, so that's now my #1 Fantasyland recommendation. I'm sure you'd enjoy both!
So both are worth it? Or prioritize Alice over PP? Not sure we'll be able to do both and we wouldn't mind passing on one.

Okay, updated itinerary:

6:00am Wake up, get ready, load car

7:00am: Arrive, park, wait for rope drop

8:00am: Rope drop! Head to Fronteirland

8:05am: Big Thunder Mountain, dad/sister go to Tarzan’s Treehouse, grab Space Mountain Fastpass

8:15am: Exit BTM, meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary

8:20am: Pirates of the Caribbean together

9:00am: Exit PotC, head to Critter County

9:05am: Winnie the Pooh together

9:20am: Exit Pooh

9:30am: Splash Mountain single rider, dad/sister explore the area

9:50am: Exit Splash, meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary. Grab Fastpass for Star Tours.

Sometime between 9:50am-10:40am: Head to Tomorrowland, use Space Mountain and Star Tours FP, do Finding Nemo if time allows and wait is relatively short.

10:40am: Head to Fantasyland.

10:45am: Storytelling at the Royal Theatre, if no seats do a Fantasyland ride listed below to knock it off the list.

11:15am: Exit Fantasyland, head to SWGE. Grab a dole whip on the way.

11:30am: Enter SWGE

~ a bathroom break or two while in the land ~

2:00pm: Exit SWGE

2:10pm: Dining break

2:20pm: Exit wherever we dine, head to Fantasyland

2:30pm: Mad Tea Party (if wait is short enough)

2:50pm: Exit Tea Party

2:55pm: Storybook Canal Boats (if wait is short enough)

3:25pm: Exit Storybook

3:30pm: Parade, watch in front of small world

3:50pm: Dumbo the Flying Elephant

4:20pm: Exit Dumbo

4:25pm: If either Tea Party or Storybook was unable to be completed, do it, otherwise Alice In Wonderland

5:05pm: Matterhorn single rider, dad/sister go for a bathroom break

5:15pm: Exit Matterhorn, head to Main Street

5:30pm: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

5:50pm: Exit Lincoln, head back to Fantasyland

6:00pm: Grab it’s a small world FPs at kiosk (probably close return time?)

6:30pm: Pick up Hungry Bear F! dining package at Hungry Bear

6:35pm: Dining break at Hungry Bear, bathroom break

7:00pm: Exit Hungry Bear, head to Fantasyland

7:10pm: it’s a small world using FP

7:30pm: Exit it’s a small world, head to Mickey’s Toontown

7:35pm-8:30pm: Explore Mickey’s Toontown

8:35pm: Exit Mickey’s Toontown

9:00pm: Fantasmic!

9:30pm: Fireworks (stay in F! viewing location)

9:45pm: Exit F! viewing location, head to Fantasyland

9:55pm: Peter Pan’s Flight

10:30pm: Exit PP

10:35pm: Get silhouette done

10:45pm: Exit silhouette studio

10:45pm-11:10pm: Shopping

11:15pm: Exit Disneyland

Okay, we'll see how it looks and either give it a pass or stay.

We'll be bringing snacks ourselves. :) it should be alright, no one would get grumpy besides my sister (3 years old). My dad and I actually prefer a lunch at 2pm.

The ride is about 22 minutes I believe and I thought that wait times were fine in the morning...?
This day is too much for a 3 yo. Can she stay home with someone? Grandma? You’re not going to get all this done with her and your dad will be in hell and never want to come back. Speaking from experience. Haha!

This day is too much for a 3 yo. Can she stay home with someone? Grandma? You’re not going to get all this done with her and your dad will be in hell and never want to come back. Speaking from experience. Haha!
No, she can't. 1) The only reason we're going to the west coast is because my mom has a meeting. She'll be in the meeting, so no place to take care of my sister. 2) I'm 13, I can't exactly drive myself to Disneyland (30 minute drive from our hotel), so dad has to come. Therefore sister must come. 3) Tickets are already purchased for dad, me, and sister. 4) Grandma will be in China, my parents are immigrants. 5) As mentioned in number one, no home, only hotel on Long Beach. :confused3 Plus, it'd be incredibly evil to exclude her! :P My dad should be fine, as long as he gets on it's a small world he'll be happy.

Um any suggestions then if we can't leave behind sis? (She's normally fine in a stroller, we should have to take frequent, frequent bathroom and ice cream breaks)

No, she can't. 1) The only reason we're going to the west coast is because my mom has a meeting. She'll be in the meeting, so no place to take care of my sister. 2) I'm 13, I can't exactly drive myself to Disneyland (30 minute drive from our hotel), so dad has to come. Therefore sister must come. 3) Tickets are already purchased for dad, me, and sister. 4) Grandma will be in China, my parents are immigrants. 5) As mentioned in number one, no home, only hotel on Long Beach. :confused3 Plus, it'd be incredibly evil to exclude her! :P My dad should be fine, as long as he gets on it's a small world he'll be happy.
Ok. Why are you only going 1 day then? 3 day tickets would be better. This is much too ambitious with a toddler. Cut out half of it if you can do 1 day.

Your list is too detailed. It doesn’t make sense to leave fantasyland, track back to Adventureland for a dole whip then go to SWGE. In a super crowded park that could take an hour. You can use the app to order food-see if your dad will do that and try to get food as you near it. It will lower the waits.

Ok. Why are you only going 1 day then? 3 day tickets would be better. This is much too ambitious with a toddler. Cut out half of it if you can do 1 day.

Your list is too detailed. It doesn’t make sense to leave fantasyland, track back to Adventureland for a dole whip then go to SWGE. In a super crowded park that could take an hour. You can use the app to order food-see if your dad will do that and try to get food as you near it. It will lower the waits.
We may do two days? Not sure yet, depends on what else we fill in to do on our week trip to LA/San Diego. Doing one day for now because a trip to Disneyland is a lot and we don't know what else we'll be doing that week in LA so we'll see if there's an empty day.

We'll see how crowds are in the month after SWGE opens. Anyways, honestly we'll probably be really erratic with food so yeah my list is too detailed :P we'll use the app to order food. :)

I've never gone with kids...tagged along a few times with some friends that do have them though. My only suggestion is to give her good food so she isn't "hangry", or hyped up on sugar. And make sure she can nap in the stroller. If something doesn't work out, be flexible. Also, be prepared that she could get scared of things like characters, sounds, toilet flushing (lol, this was me as a kid).

If the day is warm, cool off in the shade or in places with A/C (Tiki Room, Great Moment's with Mr. Lincoln, Launch Bay)...

I've never gone with kids...tagged along a few times with some friends that do have them though. My only suggestion is to give her good food so she isn't "hangry", or hyped up on sugar. And make sure she can nap in the stroller. If something doesn't work out, be flexible. Also, be prepared that she could get scared of things like characters, sounds, toilet flushing (lol, this was me as a kid).

If the day is warm, cool off in the shade or in places with A/C (Tiki Room, Great Moment's with Mr. Lincoln, Launch Bay)...
We'll probably bring crackers or snacks that don't get icky in the heat. She's not picky about food unless has green or black things in it. Haha. Yep, she can nap in the stroller, we've been to WDW multiple times and most times she's fallen asleep as we were walking around in the stroller or in the middle of a show. Definitely are going to be flexible - I understand that we probably won't get to everything on my schedule. Yep, she's rather timid around characters and scared of large flashes - and of toilets flushing/hand dryers! Heh

We'll probably bring crackers or snacks that don't get icky in the heat. She's not picky about food unless has green or black things in it. Haha. Yep, she can nap in the stroller, we've been to WDW multiple times and most times she's fallen asleep as we were walking around in the stroller or in the middle of a show. Definitely are going to be flexible - I understand that we probably won't get to everything on my schedule. Yep, she's rather timid around characters and scared of large flashes - and of toilets flushing/hand dryers! Heh
If you've been to WDW, you should be ok. I think we just want you to keep your expectations reasonable lol. This coming June is so up in the air with SWGE opening..so just be prepared for anything! Also, report back! This can help others traveling with very young children with SWGE crowds.

If you've been to WDW, you should be ok. I think we just want you to keep your expectations reasonable lol. This coming June is so up in the air with SWGE opening..so just be prepared for anything! Also, report back! This can help others traveling with very young children with SWGE crowds.
Yeah we're Animal Kingdom veterans, been to MK a few times. Yep, honestly not sure what the first 24 days after SWGE's opening will look like - who does? - but I'm just hoping for the best! I'd be happy if we got 2/3 of the things on my list done :P. I'll definitely make a thread about my experience after my trip!

I have to say, I think your day is ambitious, but I hope you have a great time no matter what! Also, I would never have guessed you were 13; in all of your posts I thought probably early 20’s. That’s a compliment! Even if you don’t get it all done, you’ve done an impressive job researching and planning (and you write well). What day are you going again?

Okay, updated itinerary:

6:00am Wake up, get ready, load car

7:00am: Arrive, park, wait for rope drop

8:00am: Rope drop! Head to Fronteirland

8:05am: Big Thunder Mountain, dad/sister go to Tarzan’s Treehouse, grab Space Mountain Fastpass

8:15am: Exit BTM, meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary

8:20am: Pirates of the Caribbean together

9:00am: Exit PotC, head to Critter County

9:05am: Winnie the Pooh together

9:20am: Exit Pooh

9:30am: Splash Mountain single rider, dad/sister explore the area

9:50am: Exit Splash, meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary. Grab Fastpass for Star Tours.

Sometime between 9:50am-10:40am: Head to Tomorrowland, use Space Mountain and Star Tours FP, do Finding Nemo if time allows and wait is relatively short.

10:40am: Head to Fantasyland.

10:45am: Storytelling at the Royal Theatre, if no seats do a Fantasyland ride listed below to knock it off the list.

11:15am: Exit Fantasyland, head to SWGE. Grab a dole whip on the way.

11:30am: Enter SWGE

~ a bathroom break or two while in the land ~

2:00pm: Exit SWGE

2:10pm: Dining break

2:20pm: Exit wherever we dine, head to Fantasyland

2:30pm: Mad Tea Party (if wait is short enough)

2:50pm: Exit Tea Party

2:55pm: Storybook Canal Boats (if wait is short enough)

3:25pm: Exit Storybook

3:50pm: Dumbo the Flying Elephant

4:20pm: Exit Dumbo

4:25pm: If either Tea Party or Storybook was unable to be completed, do it, otherwise Alice In Wonderland

5:05pm: Matterhorn single rider, dad/sister go for a bathroom break

5:15pm: Exit Matterhorn, head to Main Street

5:30pm: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

5:50pm: Exit Lincoln, head back to Fantasyland

6:00pm: Grab it’s a small world FPs at kiosk (probably close return time?)

6:30pm: Pick up Hungry Bear F! dining package at Hungry Bear

6:35pm: Dining break at Hungry Bear, bathroom break

7:00pm: Exit Hungry Bear, head to Fantasyland

7:10pm: it’s a small world using FP

7:30pm: Exit it’s a small world, head to Mickey’s Toontown

7:35pm-8:30pm: Explore Mickey’s Toontown

8:35pm: Exit Mickey’s Toontown

9:45pm: Exit F! viewing location, head to Fantasyland

9:55pm: Peter Pan’s Flight

10:30pm: Exit PP

10:35pm: Get silhouette done

10:45pm: Exit silhouette studio

10:45pm-11:10pm: Shopping

11:15pm: Exit Disneyland

This is a very ambitious day with a 3 year old.

Can I give you some general advice, just to relax and enjoy your trip a little more? I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment but having things so regimented.

So get to the parks early, use the app to keep an eye on wait times and FP return times, relax and enjoy yourself!

I have to say, I think your day is ambitious, but I hope you have a great time no matter what! Also, I would never have guessed you were 13; in all of your posts I thought probably early 20’s. That’s a compliment! Even if you don’t get it all done, you’ve done an impressive job researching and planning. What day are you going again?
Thank you, I'm sure it'll be a magical trip. And thanks haha! Yup, before this trip we've always walked into Disney blind so I wanted to do my research this time. I don't think we would have even known about FPs or SWGE reservations had I not done my research. We'll be going a Thursday, June 13. :)

This is a very ambitious day with a 3 year old.

Can I give you some general advice, just to relax and enjoy your trip a little more? I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment but having things so regimented.

So get to the parks early, use the app to keep an eye on wait times and FP return times, relax and enjoy yourself!
I'll try to do that and relax a bit. Thank you! ;)

Updated itinerary, times removed to relax it a little (except for live entertainment)

Wake up, get ready, load car

Arrive, park, wait for rope drop

Rope drop! Head to Fronteirland

Big Thunder Mountain, dad/sister go to Tarzan’s Treehouse, grab Space Mountain or Star Tours Fastpass

Meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary

Pirates of the Caribbean

Winnie the Pooh

Splash Mountain single rider, dad/sister explore the area

Meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary. Grab Fastpass for Star Tours or Space Mountain, whichever one not picked before.

Head to Tomorrowland, use Space Mountain and Star Tours FP, do Finding Nemo if time allows and wait is relatively short.

Head to Fantasyland, storytelling at the Royal Theatre (10:45am), if no seats do a Fantasyland ride listed below to knock it off the list.

SWGE!

Lunch dining break

Head to Fantasyland

Mad Tea Party (if wait is short enough)

Storybook Canal Boats (if wait is short enough)

Dumbo the Flying Elephant

If either Tea Party or Storybook was unable to be completed, do it, otherwise Alice In Wonderland

Matterhorn single rider, dad/sister go for a bathroom break

Head to Main Street

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Head back to Fantasyland

Grab it’s a small world FPs at kiosk (probably close return time?)

Head to Critter County

Pick up Hungry Bear F! dining package at Hungry Bear

Dinner dining break at Hungry Bear, bathroom break

Exit Hungry Bear, head to Fantasyland

it’s a small world using FP

Exit it’s a small world, head to Mickey’s Toontown

Explore Mickey’s Toontown

Head to Fantasyland

Peter Pan’s Flight

Get silhouette done

Shopping

Exit Disneyland

Bathroom breaks can be substituted with ice cream breaks.

High protein snacks are best for kids. We take: beef jerky or pepperoni sticks, boiled eggs (tiny lunch bag with ice packs), protein bars, bags of pistachios or almonds, cheese sticks, cheese chips, pork rinds,...

Updated itinerary, times removed to relax it a little (except for live entertainment)

Wake up, get ready, load car

Arrive, park, wait for rope drop

Rope drop! Head to Fronteirland

Big Thunder Mountain, dad/sister go to Tarzan’s Treehouse, grab Space Mountain or Star Tours Fastpass

Meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary

Pirates of the Caribbean

Winnie the Pooh

Splash Mountain single rider, dad/sister explore the area

Meet up with dad/sister, bathroom break if necessary. Grab Fastpass for Star Tours or Space Mountain, whichever one not picked before.

Head to Tomorrowland, use Space Mountain and Star Tours FP, do Finding Nemo if time allows and wait is relatively short.

Head to Fantasyland, storytelling at the Royal Theatre (10:45am), if no seats do a Fantasyland ride listed below to knock it off the list.

SWGE!

Lunch dining break

Head to Fantasyland

Mad Tea Party (if wait is short enough)

Storybook Canal Boats (if wait is short enough)

Dumbo the Flying Elephant

If either Tea Party or Storybook was unable to be completed, do it, otherwise Alice In Wonderland

Matterhorn single rider, dad/sister go for a bathroom break

Head to Main Street

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Head back to Fantasyland

Grab it’s a small world FPs at kiosk (probably close return time?)

Head to Critter County

Pick up Hungry Bear F! dining package at Hungry Bear

Dinner dining break at Hungry Bear, bathroom break

Exit Hungry Bear, head to Fantasyland

it’s a small world using FP

Exit it’s a small world, head to Mickey’s Toontown

Explore Mickey’s Toontown

Head to Fantasyland

Peter Pan’s Flight

Get silhouette done

Shopping

Exit Disneyland

Bathroom breaks can be substituted with ice cream breaks.

Just a question: do you have a back up plan for any of this? In all seriousness, what will you do if your plan starts to tank? DLR really isn't a place where militant planning works all that well (that works better at WDW). For the most enjoyable visits, we tell people to do their research and make their plans (you've certainly done that!), have a back up plan, then get ready to drop it all if needed and let the magic happen. Make a list of the top 3 priorities for your day (one for each person) and make sure to get those done. Then have a list of the second 3 ("would like to do") priorities -- try to do those next. The last 3 things are the "if we do these, great -- but if we don't, that's fine" list. Anything beyond that is gravy. Otherwise, if your list starts to go south and you don't get to do what you want, and your family is tired and cranky from being shuttled around all day on a tight schedule, you may not have such a magical day. Just some food for thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter