Ten Reasons Why You Should Hate Michael Eisner

Jeff in BigD

Oldschool DISer
Ok, maybe hate is a strong word, but these are reasons you should want ME replaced.

1 C’mon Baby, Gimme One More Chance - Too bad for ME that every year can’t be 1994. The guy have has time after time to try & produce & it’s like tapping a dry well now. The point is it’s time we kick the louse to the curb. He’s been fooling around (with our money) & he doesn’t bring us flowers anymore. I’m sorrys become trite & ineffectual when stocks & morale keep dropping like Bill Clinton’s pants. I hope we don’t end up as bitter as Hillary :(

2 Screw The Art, I Want The Flicks - While ME’s idea of releasing an animated feature each year may have been noble, it was foolish. They’re banking on the fact that no one else will release a kid movie, so putting lame movies on film won’t matter because it will still make money. The plot lines, character development, art styles, etc have all suffered. The last truly great movie they came out with was Lion King. Mulan was pretty good & Atlantis was decent, but I wouldn’t even wipe my shoes on Hunchback or Pocahontas. Don’t believe me? Watch a true classic like Pinnochio, then watch Hunchback & tell me if you think the two are even in the same arena. Sure you can have a mediocre team every year that may or may not make the playoffs, but I’d prefer the team who takes a few years & brings home the Cup, creating history in the process. 2 minutes for too many men on the ice.

3 Attack Of The Mini-MEs - Any internal replacement is at best an incompetent Eisner yes man. Like a king who always poisons his sons that might be a threat so his throne won’t be in jeopardy. Someone get the stick.

4 Paul Pressler - ‘Nuff said. (still upset no one gave me a little chuckle on the voodoo comment I made before)

5 Rides Become Movies - Country Bears, Haunted Mansion...what else are they gonna screw with? The thing is you know they won’t be content to make a movie & not have the ride have a movie tie-in. Remember the ulcers we all had when we heard they were going to give Paul Frees the boot & have Robin Williams record the Ghost Host dialog? The only thing that has changed is that it’s now Eddie Murphy. I need a drink.

6 Screw Consumers Rights - ME has been one of the biggest major league A’s (big time) when it’s come to the consumer’s rights with music, movies, etc. He blasted Apple’s “Rip, Mix, Burn” campaign stating that “they can create a theft if they buy this computer.” While I agree that piracy is an issue, taking away the rights of the consumer isn’t the way to do it. They’re taking this attitude that one bad apple spoils the bunch & they think by taking away the rights, the public will be pissed at the pirates, but in reality they’ll be pissed at the corporate navy. Dead men tale no tales.

7 Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better - Let’s see you have a company that is making movies that you distribute & you make money hand over fist with their products. Then you screw them in the contract renewal. Then you blast the CEO’s other company in front of Congress. Then you try to make your own product that is like the other company’s & while it’s pretty, it still sucks. Like trying to sell a Kia at a Honda dealership. I can’t drive 55.

8 Parks...We Still Have Those? - The commitment to bringing a quality product to the parks, *gasp* occasionally opening the purse strings to do so is but a distant memory. As far off the radar as WDW has been it seems like DL’s completely disappeared from consciousness. Sure, Test Track is great (when it’s running), but the last true great E-ticket ride to be built here in the states was Indy. Sure there have been some really good (though somewhat off the shelf) rides like RnR & ToT, but they are just hyped up Six Flags rides. They’re fun, but they aren’t totally unique. Oh yeah & if a ride is a lil expensive to maintain, it’s shelf life is limited. Too bad they couldn’t have found a way to bring a variation of the Disney Sea rides over. Arigato!

9 I Know My ABCs - I’m wondering if they really are using a chimp to pick their programming. What do they try to put up against Friends & Scrubs or Survivor...Dinotopia...is that a complete give-up or what? Then they take one show that really looks interesting & has a lot of buzz, Push, Nevada (which looks like a show people will have to be there from the start for) & put it right behind Dinotopia, hoping that people will flip over, dooming the show. They’re still going with America’s Funniest Home Videos, which is the only slot that it could seem to be doing ok, but seriously how many times can you watch someone get hit in the kiwis or an old ladies skirt flying up before the novelty wears off? They tout shows like the Practice, which is a poor man’s Law & Order & wonder why they don’t get Emmys (well “ME” sounds like emmy I suppose). I think they need to learn from NBC & concentrate on owning specific nights & not hoping for scraps when someone changes the channel. Hey, how come “U” doesn’t come right after “Q” in the alphabet?

10 The Head Cheese Is Made Of Limburger Because He Stinks! - I realize that not every single minute move of the company is dictated by ME, but he’s the one in charge of the overall direction of the company & he put the people into place that are making the bad choices on the minute moves. I think I may soon become lactose intolerant.

Anyway if you can read all these points & still think that Eisner is the man for the job, then I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree..I might suggest a professional help though. ;)

Well, perhaps there is no defense of Eisner but there is still hope. Afer all he is still the big cheese, he's still calling the shots and with his recent track record and all of the negative press surrounding Disney it would seem that even he'd get lucky with some decisions sooner or later. As AV said, even a chimp flipping a coin will be right 1/2 the time.

Anyway it's best to remember the 'new saying' so aptly put that says "It ain't over until your brother counts the votes"...Now in this case it may not be Eisner's biological brother but it could be his board brothers that'll be counting the (oh, so important) votes...Will all the votes be counted? ;)
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

All I have to say about the current situation at Disney is the fact that the WDW Security Guard (or rent a wanna-be to be precise) was rude to my wife for absolutely no reason yesterday. We went through the tables as we had no items to show to be inspected for knieves, so we proceeded to the gate. So, she's right up at the gate, the "security" guy tells her that this other lady is first and to move. The one who was first was no where to be seen... Oh, yes, she was at the security table having her stuff looked at and flashed a special entrance pass for whatever purpose.

We entered the park, my wife said that she's just had enough with the rude cast members, unfortunately most are simply employees now, we turned right around and left. As far as she's concerned, until things change at this company, we will no longer be visiting. We've had so many incredibly rude cast members the past several months that it's staggering. To frame the concept even more, we're beach dwellers, extremely laid back, easygoing, so I can atest to you that things are a changin' and not for the good over there.

BTW-Why we were even going to Epcot should have been the first question. :) It was after 7 and barely anything is open at that time..... Unless you like to shop or eat a their dining establishments. We're going to be sending a letter to the company about our rather lousy experiences the past few months. We are realists that for the mostpart, they could care less about what the "guest" says anylonger, but at least we'll feel better having gotten it off our chests.

:)

I was hoping for a more indepth discussion than a volley of quotes, that people discuss the points or post their own points (pro or con). *sigh* Oh well. Perhaps I should post a few quotes by a man that has been an inspiration to me?

"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards - the things we live by and teach our children - are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings."

"I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

"I believe in being an modivator."

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

"Adults are interested if you don't play down to the little 2 or 3 year olds or talk down. I don't believe in talking down to children. I don't believe in talking down to any certain segment. I like to kind of just talk in a general way to the audience. Children are always reaching."

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

"It's no secret that we were sticking just about every nickel we had on the chance that people would really be interested in something totally new and unique in the field of entertainment."

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."

"When we consider a project, we really study it--not just the surface idea, but everything about it. And when we go into that new project, we believe in it all the way. We have confidence in our ability to do it right. And we work hard to do the best possible job."

-Walt Disney
waltdisney2.jpg

Uh-oh. I've been chastised...;)

I agree with the basic points of your post. However, imho, I think you're confusing the execution with the idea in a few cases.

For example, rides being made into movies... Most Disney classics are merely adaptations of other people's stories. So there's nothing wrong with making adaptations of your own stories. The problem comes with their execution. Their execution on most movies has not been strong lately. But its not the basic ideas that are bad. Just as they could have made Reign of Fire better, they also could have made The Country Bears better.

(note- In this case, "better" equals more accepted by audiences)

Same idea with the question of more or less frequent animated films. If mgmt isn't going to attract and keep the resources necessary to produce consistently strong animated films, producing them less frequently won't make them any better.

In just a little over a year, we have seen four very successful animated films (Shrek, Monsters, Ice Age, Lilo & Sticth), so the market is there. Its just a question of who is going to produce what the audience wants. If I'm Disney, my question is why not us? But again, the execution and committment must be there.

Side note- Initially my opinion of Hunchback wasn't that high. Until it came out on DVD, I hadn't seen it since the one time in the theatre. Having watched the DVD a couple of times now, I don't think it was really a problem of quality, it just didn't "hit" with audiences. For example, I don't think Tarzan is a "better" movie than Hunchback, but it out-drew it at the box-office by a significant amount.

Sir Jeff,

In my particular case your use of a topic title with the obligatory sharp stick in the eye of The Big ME and with the body of the topic showing a total disregard for anything that was produced during the first 12 years of his watch made it clear that a DIScussion was, in fact, not what was desired.

Although I have personally been more entertained/amused/delighted by the multitude of things produced by the Disney corporation during The Big ME's tenure than by those created by the company during The Holy Walt's tenure I do recognize the simple fact that The Holy Walt actually thought his things up himself while The Big ME couldn't assemble a 48 piece Lego set without a publicist, hair stylist, and several Yes-men Vice Presidents...

I do agree that:

1) The Big ME DIScidedly needs to be replaced.

2) With the loss of the supporting cast he had for the first 12 years of his tenure he has been a major DISappointment.

Originally posted by raidermatt
For example, rides being made into movies... Most Disney classics are merely adaptations of other people's stories. So there's nothing wrong with making adaptations of your own stories. The problem comes with their execution. Their execution on most movies has not been strong lately. But its not the basic ideas that are bad. Just as they could have made Reign of Fire better, they also could have made The Country Bears better.
While I'm not thrilled with the lack luster scripts for the movies, my concern is the effects that the movies will have on the rides. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they make a movie for every single ride in the park, it's bringing changes to the rides form the movies that has me scared.

Same idea with the question of more or less frequent animated films. If mgmt isn't going to attract and keep the resources necessary to produce consistently strong animated films, producing them less frequently won't make them any better.
Agreed, but I think the pressure to get them out the door without taking the extra time to make sure they're done right is what lead the talent to apathy & want to leave. Let's say that you own for a software company. You can have the greatest workers in the world & could have turned out some great applications, but if you start demanding that the same amount of workers start turning out the products left & right, making them work twice as hard without much of a pay advance & then give them grief because of the bugs. It won't take long before they leave. After that it becomes a ciclical thing. The talent doesn't want to work because of the unrealitsic work expectations & the work suffers because the talent isn't there.

With the loss of the supporting cast he had for the first 12 years of his tenure he has been a major DISappointment.
You know. I really don’t get this type of thinking. You say, or at least imply, that Ei$ner was very, very good for those twelve years. And then suddenly, he lost it! What makes you think that he had anything, whatsoever, to do with anything that was produced under the first twelve years of his watch? Seems to me you make a very good case for the opposite. As his supporting cast left him, and he was left to make his own decisions, he SHOWED more and more of his ineptness. He SHOWED it. He didn’t suddenly BECOME it!!

There you go Jeff....
It ain't much, but it's better than just a quote!! ;)

Herr Baron,

I don't believe I ever said that The Big ME was singularly responsible for everything good that happened during the first 12 years.

It has been my observation that teams are always more successful than groups of individuals or single individuals. Primarily IMHO because individuals tend to pull in different directions and the balance provided by yoking the team members together ends up giving the team a truer direction to follow than they could have achieved by following ANY of their original individual ideas.

Disney during the reign of The Big ME + FW + JK + GW + {others I don't know} were very successful in many areas for many years.

I could chose to believe that for all those years that this success was because the others were arrayed against The Big ME, beating down - subverting - ignoring all of his horrible ideas, while simultaneously banding together to implement only their own ideas - over his objections perhaps - to achieve the phenomonal success the company enjoyed.

I chose NOT to believe that caricature.

It is clear that The Big ME lost his balance when the 'Dream' team broke up and - because of his fatal (EGO) flaw of being unable to yoke himself to a team since (the Dream team having been imposed on him from outside) - his decision making indeed has became less accurate.

OK!! Let’s play some word games!!
I don't believe I ever said that The Big ME was singularly responsible for everything good that happened during the first 12 years.
I never said you did! What I did say was:
What makes you think that he had anything, whatsoever, to do with anything that was produced under the first twelve years of his watch?
And that includes being a team player. And he question is still out there. You never answered it! So again I ask: What makes you think that he had anything, whatsoever, to do with anything that was produced under the first twelve years of his watch?
Disney during the reign of The Big ME + FW + JK + GW + {others I don't know} were very successful in many areas for many years.
I contend that you could remove “The Big ME” from the equation and the still use the equal sign. Or maybe, just maybe the “greater than” sign!!
to achieve the phenomenal success the company enjoyed.
Perhaps financial, but… I think I would have to disagree if you’re talking artistic and especially creative! Not that they didn’t enjoy success, I just question the word “phenomenal”.
I chose NOT to believe that caricature.
This is the point I don’t get. Why would you categorize my description of him, or my innuendo of his ineptitude as a caricature? Why couldn’t it at least be a working hypothesis, if not the outright truth? Why is it impossible for you to believe that this guy has been over his head since day one? And as that ‘Dream” team broke up (actually he was responsible for everyone leaving but Wells) he was able to show more and more of his inability to make a correct and/or proper decision? That’s a caricature? Why? What has he shown you he is capable of since he’s been alone? There has to be something!! What is it? Show me what you see! Please!

Herr Baron,

You would have me imagine that the same man that is so well known today as a micro-manager - who is routinely admonished for poking his nose everywhere - somehow spent his first twelve years in charge without ever pushing any of his own ideas through? That he allowed himself to be that marginalized? Not the person I know as The Big ME...

And there are indeed things that have been done since '96 that I like just fine - some we've already disagreed about - so I won't get back into it here.

You would have me imagine that the same man that is so well known today as a micro-manager - who is routinely admonished for poking his nose everywhere - somehow spent his first twelve years in charge without ever pushing any of his own ideas through? That he allowed himself to be that marginalized?
No!! Of course not!! Not always!! Just look at the failures for that time period and you’ll probably find his ‘nose-prints’ all over it!!

"You would have me imagine that the same man that is so well known today as a micro-manager - who is routinely admonished for poking his nose everywhere..."

For the first 12 years he did poke his nose into everything. Fortunetly Frank Wells had the backing of the Board to tell Michael to bugger off. It was made very clear from the beginning that Frank was in charge of the business and Michael would only deal with the "creative side". Even Eisner wasn't stupid enough to ignore Frank, Roy, Stan and the Basses.

And Eisner did poke his nose around a lot on the creative side. And he did butt heads with a lot of people. Why do you think the relationship between Eisner and Katzenberg became so bitter? Why do you think Einser manauvered around Roy to sack Dick Nunis and others as head of Attractions? It wasn't because those people argeed with Michael all the time.

So over time Eisner has gotten rid of all those people who could tell him "no". Now there's no one to filter, inturpet or block Eisner's "big ideas". And look at what's happening.

P.S. As for the parks - Eisner was really content to play with his hotels. He never cared much for the theme parks and was mostly content to let someone else run things (with an occansion play date with WDI to make Michael feel important). That hands-off attitude ended five years ago when he decided he really was the business genius he read about in his press. And again, look a what has happened.

LOL!

Great jumping horny toads! Ok, Ok...

{engage Passive agressive mode }

Everything The Big ME ever did was bad, bad, bad...

Anything good that ever happened was because of other people.

And beside that his wife dresses him funny!

:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter