Temporary Help!!

MAGGIED

Magic Creator
Hello - I am hoping this would be right the place to post this question. I have injured my knee and am requiring physical therapy 3 time a week to try and "fix" the problem. It seems I have damage the cartilidge all the way around the knee cap ( that's what I get for jumping off the top of a truck at my age!!!) and am experiencing a lot of pain while walking - sometimes the knee just gives out and I fall... anyway..I am really concerned that I will not be able to do all the walking for our trip next week. I can probably get away with half the day but not a full day... my husband suggested I try a wheel chair. We will be there for 7 nights - 8 days.

My questions are:
1. Do I need a note from my doctor to get a wheel chair
2. Can I rent one for the entire week (cost???)
3. Can I still ride on the attractions?
4. I won't need it all the time so what do I do with it when not using it?

I don't feel like I need any special treatment - just a way to be able to rest my knee and still enjoy time in the parks with my family. Thanks for your replies.

You do not need a doctor's note.

There are several options concerning wheelchairs.

If you are staying at a Disney Resort you should be able to borrow one at no charge from your resort if they have one available. You only have to leave a deposit.

A better choice would be to rent one from an off-site company such as Walker or Care. (If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it waill take you to the Index. The third item down is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent wheelchairs and ECVs.) It should run less than $50 for a week and it is a better chair.

You can also get a "length of stay" park rental; you would pay in advance using a discounted rate at the first park and you would get a set of coupons. These are date stamped and are valid at any of the disney parks.

However, unless you husband is in good physical condition for pushing you (and there are hills) you might want to consider rental of an ECV from one of the off-site locations; this would be about $200 for the week. (Again, see the "disABILITIES! FAQ".)

Yes, there is no problem in riding the attractions. All of them have a place right in the boarding area where you can leave the wheelchair (or ECV). Sometimes yo woill leave it at boarding and find it mnagically appears in the exit area. Most of the lines are wheelchair accessible; for those that are not there are clear directions. Also, each park has special booklets which are guides for guests with disabilities.

If you rent a wheelchair in a park and it vanishes all you have to do is you your dated receipt to get another. If you have an ECV you would remove the key. If you are able to borrow a wheelchair from your Resort, or you rent one from off-site, just bring a bicycle lock or large padlock along. If you park it outside a restaurant, for example, just put the lock on the wheel or lock the wheel to the frame. Do not lock the chair to anything. This will allow a CM to move it if necessary (such as straightening up a stroller parking area) but nobody will be able to actually use it.

And last, ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Thank you Cheshire Figment for your detail explanation. I did check out the link and have just a couple more questions. I think that renting off site maybe the way to go as to not take a chair away from someone who may need it full time... thanks for that info. Will I need to get one of those guest xxxx cards (I don't remember the name of it)....I think the only problem I would have if the inability to bend the knee to get on some rides - it may take me a little longer than most but I am sure I will be able to do it. ??????????????????????????

No, the Guest Assistance Card is designed for people with "invisible" disabilities. Being in a wheelchair or ECV would be sufficient for your needs. If, for example, you also had hearing or vision problems, or needed to avoid prolonged sunshine then you would need a GAC.

Don't worry about timing. When the CMs see you in a chair they will realize you have mobility problems and will assist you in any way they can.

Note that although a CM can assist with, for example holding your chair, they are prohibited from touching you in any way to assist, even if you ask them to. (This, of course, does not apply in an emergency situation.)

Cheshire Figment said:
Note that although a CM can assist with, for example holding your chair, they are prohibited from touching you in any way to assist, even if you ask them to. (This, of course, does not apply in an emergency situation.)

However, you will often find that if you are getting in/out of a moving vehicle (such as haunted mansion) they may offer you an arm for balance - NOT to take your weight - if they see that your husband/wife is trying to help children. As Cheshire Figment has said they would only offer substantial assistance if you were in actual danger but a hand or arm for minor assistance is (in my experience) often forthcoming.

from your post I do not think you would need a GAC if you are in a wheelchair/ECV as this will give the Cm's all the info they need to help you have a magical holiday.

Sue

Thanks - I think I am all set now...you have both relieved a lot of my concerns....

Cheshire Figment said:

We, as CMs, are trained that we're allowed to, on a case-by-case basis if we feel comfortable, offer an arm for the purposes of balance, but we're not allowed to lift people. As far as mobility devices, we are allowed to push wheelchairs for short distances, and assist with the steering of ECV's for the purposes of assisting guests to board an attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter