Temporary Dental Cap-Fell Out

McDISer

DIS Veteran
I searched high and low for a new dentist, when my old one quit. I found good reviews and have been going to him for about 3 years.

Last November he told me my back cap on my last tooth, has cracked and I need a new cap.

So we found out, the insurance will pay half and this Wednesday, after my cleaning, he removed my cap and put in a temporary.

Guess what it fell out today. That has never happened to me. I have at least 8 teeth capped.

I called and the office is closed today. I left a message for emergencies.

I finally called a dentist clinic in my home town and she said, I cannot be seen, because of liability issues. She told me to go to Walgreens and get dental glue or use toothpaste and put it back in.

I of course googled it, and I found out, it is not the easiest to put back in. Waiting for work to be done, so I can leave. Not a way to start my weekend.

I had a temp crown come off and my dentist old to use polygrip until I could get back into the office

That is pretty lousy that the dentist does not call back for emergencies.
Our dentist has a backup dentist from another practice to answer emergency calls if he is not going to be available to do call backs.

If using glue is a problem, you could try using dental wax (the stuff used for braces) to either cover the top of your tooth, or attach the cap temporarily.

I finally called a dentist clinic in my home town and she said, I cannot be seen, because of liability issues. She told me to go to Walgreens and get dental glue or use toothpaste and put it back in.

I hope you've solved the issue for the time being. The thing about a liability issue is weird to me. If you haven't found a solution I'd call someone else. A few months ago I had a permanent crown come loose. I was a few hours away from my regular dentist so I called another dentist nearby who saw me within an hour and glued it back on. Maybe your case is different because it's a temp crown? I hope you hear from your regular dentist too.

That is pretty lousy that the dentist does not call back for emergencies.
Our dentist has a backup dentist from another practice to answer emergency calls if he is not going to be available to do call backs.

My old Dentist's voice mail said "if you have a TRUE dental emergency call ...." My current Dentist's voice mail says if you have a dental emergency when they are closed, go to the ER.
Temporary crowns and caps fall out all the time, that is not a true dental emergency to me. It can wait until the next business day.

I've had lots of crowns/caps come off. I'll just point out that "temporary" dental cement you get to put lost crowns back on is brutal to get off. If your tooth isn't painful, I'd suggest you just keep it clean, or just use some of the dental wax (like for braces) to coat it until you can reach the dentist.

My dentist has an emergency dentist. Actually they cover each other for emergencies.

If you're not in pain, it's not an emergency. If it is, you can go to an ER, but they'll most likely just give you some painkillers to "get you through the night".

I've never heard of using toothpaste. I'm not sure how solid that would be. I know on some sensitive teeth the sugars/flavors in toothpaste can cause pain. I wouldn't do that.

I have little packets of dental glue that my dentist has given me over the years. I have had lots fall off and you just glue them back on.

My husband is a dentist, it's not uncommon for a temp to fall off. Use either polygrip or toothpaste to create a temporary vacuum grip until the dentist can get you back in. Oh, and chew on the other side of your mouth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter