"Temporarily Closed"

DLgal

DIS Veteran
This was the theme of the day yesterday. Holy cow. It was a real problem for us ALL day. Disney really needs to get a handle on this because it causes a chain reaction of issues, primarily due to Genie+ LL and "multiple experience" passes. When you have several major rides go down simultaneously and then one comes back up, the LL becomes RIDICULOUS and the Standby waits balloon to insane levels.

Disneyland also needs to figure out how to manage the increasing standby lines and the overflow in the LL when this situation arises. Some rides become complete madness, with one LONG line leading up to the ride entrance and half of the people being LL and the other half being standby and no one knows where to go so everyone ends up waiting in a line unnecessarily because there is no CM directing people where to go. This is maddening. This happened to us at Incredicoaster last night. The line went ALL the way back to the Abominable Snowman with people in it saying "this is the LL line" but as I walked back, others were saying "this is the single rider line" or "this is the standby line." I was like, this is stupid...walked back to the LL entrance and ASKED the CM standing there, "where is the back of this line, because no one seems to know." He walked with me and showed me a spot about 10 people back from the scanners, so I stood there. He then started yelling "standby to the left, LL to the right" and a flood of people walked into the (empty) standby line. I felt bad for the people all the way in the back who thought that was the LL line but Disney needs to create better signage and have CMs better managing these lines because so many of them spill out into walkways and no one knows where to go.

We also waited in the Space Mtn LL for over 30 minutes. The ride went down WHILE WE WERE IN the LL and they didn't evacuate the queue. Just told people "we're on a temporary delay." We didn't hear this until after 20 minutes and by that point they were saying it would come back online shortly so we just stayed there. They had to end up expanding the LL queue into a switchback up top. It was ridiculous. We got into the LL at 1:27. We didn't exit the ride until 2:13. We had mobile order windows at DCA that ended at 2:30 that we almost missed. We just made it, but by then my kid was HANGRY.

Get it together, Disney. The Genie+ is making everything worse, especially when rides break down. They clearly also need to have MANY more mechanics on the clock. We watched Goofys go down and sat at the tables next to it for 45 minutes. A mechanic didn't show up until well over 30 minutes after the ride went down. When it came back up an hour later, the wait was 80 minutes.

I’ve been watching the app like a hawk in preparation of our upcoming trip and have noticed the multiple LL rides going down simultaneously and I was wondering what it looked like in person. Thanks for confirming my fears. No bueno.

I agree they really need to have more guest control positions in front of attractions (think of the old Fantasmic days with CM's all around river keeping things moving)

Sadly it seems like money (G+/LL) has taken over actual guest service. IMO- they shouldn't of launched program until staffing levels and 'uptime' for attraction maintenance was greatly improved. As long as guests keep buying tickets, Disney doesn't seem to care.
All my visits since Genie Plus has launched have been awful. Standby queues don't move at all.
Same here, and kinda had a feeling that would happen since the LL line is CM's top priority even more so than old FP. Now that LL is basically pay per ride- those guests have to take priority over standby even if it's 500 to 0 ratio. I've seen standby lines stop cold for 30+ minutes if LL guests keep entering. FastPass used to at least have a merge system like 60/40, 80/20 etc... of standby vs. FP returns. Just like DLgal mentioned- add multiple downtimes to that mix and attractions end up being only truly 'open' for LL guests. Standby line is all for show so no one can claim Disney is forcing you to pay. ;)

*of course not EVERY day is that bad, but being a local Magic Key holder I have seen it more than once on many visits and ride attractions much less.

Last edited:
I don't know how Disneyland CMs translate "temporary delay," but at WDW it often means somebody got sick or had some other similar issue necessitating cleanup.

"Technical difficulties" means a ride malfunction ordinarily.

I was at the park yesterday too. It was a miserable experience. Got to the park at 8;20am and only did 6 rides across the two parks before getting frustrated and left the parks at 3:30pm

All my visits since Genie Plus has launched have been awful. Standby queues don't move at all.

I totally agree! At this point, the only standby lines we will even get into are the rides that don't have LL. We have a DAS (thankfully) and we are using it much more than we ever had to in the past, because the standby lines are just NOT an option for my son who has a hard time standing still surrounded by people. Those lines CRAWL. We used to save the DAS for rides with waits longer than 30 minutes, but at this point, every LL ride has a standby in excess of 60 minutes most of the time. The posted waits are lies.

Even with the DAS, though, we have been dealing with SUCH long LL lines like that Space Mountain one yesterday where we just stood there in the sun, not moving, for 20 minutes. My son was about to meltdown when they came up and expanded the queue and we got to start walking (which was just an illusion that the line was moving, but it tricked him enough that he was able to wait a bit longer and we entered the building shortly after).

We were in the parks for 10 hours and I think we rode 8 rides? We spent a lot of time sitting around waiting for rides to come back up or for our DAS return time to come around.

I don't know how Disneyland CMs translate "temporary delay," but at WDW it often means somebody got sick or had some other similar issue necessitating cleanup.

"Technical difficulties" means a ride malfunction ordinarily.

No, at DL they use that line for like the first 15-20 minutes after a ride breaks down before they relent and call in a mechanic/evacuate the queue. When they have to clean up a protein spill, they usually say they are "holding for a cleanup." We've experienced both situations several times. The last 3 times we ended up evacuated from a queue, they started out by using the "temporary delay" line. This was on ROTR, Toy Story, and Goofy's Sky School, all within the last month.

We haven’t been back since 2016 and that was largely due to excessive crowds during a time when we expected it to be one of the slowest periods of the year.
We were really excited to hear how the Genie Plus and $LL system was giving guests a premium experience albeit at a premium price. We don’t mind paying a premium but if it that premium product is already being watered down this soon after it’s debut, I am going to really need to temper my expectations for our trip in two weeks.

It seems like there's some combination of lack of staff, Genie+/LL patterns, maintenance issues, and perhaps lack of training or lack of procedures in place that are creating problems. It's unfortunate that Disney's formerly praised ability to manage crowds seems to have gone away.

I totally get where you're coming from.

Ride breakdowns are far too frequent. On some rides, many elements don't work. I can't remember the last time everything worked on Racers and a couple weeks ago, like half of the games on the left side of Midway Mania had no sound. I also had an experience with Autopia where it was 10 minutes posted but I waited 39 because all of a sudden, one of the tracks turned off. Some vehicles on the other track weren't working that well either and I saw a CM repeatedly kick a car that was refusing to start until finally, its motor clicked on. Thankfully, I wasn't one of the people stranded on the track that turned off but if I had known the wait would be that long before getting in line, I would have just done a few runs of Astro Blasters.

The confusing lines is another problem although not as serious as the maintenance issues. I often see the Lightning Lane for Web Slingers extend almost all the way to the entrance of Avengers Campus with many people who don't realize that isn't the standby line. Single Rider for Incredicoaster is another annoyance. They have this sign at the exit that is supposed to face one way when single rider is open and the other way when it's not but the CMs don't bother changing it. I've walked in only to have a CM come shoo me away because it's closed and you just have to take your chances when walking in.

On some days, I don't have too many problems. Other days, I hit several ride breakdowns in a row which leaves me very annoyed.

....I often see the Lightning Lane for Web Slingers extend almost all the way to the entrance of Avengers Campus with many people who don't realize that isn't the standby line. Single Rider for Incredicoaster is another annoyance. They have this sign at the exit that is supposed to face one way when single rider is open and the other way when it's not but the CMs don't bother changing it. I've walked in only to have a CM come shoo me away because it's closed and you just have to take your chances when walking in.
This all could be easily avoided by having a CM or two assigned to keep line under control. Not sure if it's lack of staff or training issue since I've seen 4 or 5 CM's literally talking to each other with hands in pockets in front of Web Slingers, ignoring the mess of line that is going along building to front of land.

I guess my view might be a little biased since I used to work at park in early 2000's leading up to (and during) the 50th anniversary. We weren't perfect however we'd never be allowed to do half the things I see go on now or allow guests to be so confused about lines. The park was also packed shoulder to shoulder yet we kept walkways moving and wait times manageable.

Last edited:
I guess my view might be a little biased since I used to work at park in early 2000's leading up to (and during) the 50th anniversary. We would NEVER be allowed to do half the things I see go on now or allow guests to be so confused about lines. The park was also packed shoulder to shoulder yet we kept walkways moving and wait times manageable.
This is so true in the current business world not just Disney!!!
Total different mind-set for sure and it continues to happen more and more.

Can't even imagine what people will be like in another 20 years.
It Is So Sad....

@DLgal I totally get what you are saying.

I saw this coming on Thursday. Not busy, but windy. Rides closed down due to weather, totally understandable. Started my day at DCA and the only area that was busy, was AC. They needed help with directing people…guests were confused about the Spider-Man show line up, Warriors show, etc.

Plenty of CMs were standing around in other areas. Someone needs to deploy staffing to the locations that need help. Before anyone chimes in about the union rules, I totally get it. I worked at The Park for several years and belonged to my area’s union. Leadership needs to do a better job of handling staffing and guest needs. They absolutely have the ability to make a difference.

I totally get it! While our visit on Monday (2/14) flowed perfectly ... the two visits prior (1/17 and 2/9) were stressful and difficult.

1/17 (RotR's 2nd b'day) was a complete wipe-out for us. The only ride we successfully completed was Rise ... having bailed on others as they went down. Lunch (soup in a bread bowl) was almost inedible ... and the crowds were insane. In all, we left early, exhausted and frustrated.

2/9 we returned for the ESPN activities leading into SuperBowl weekend and to search out the "Magic Key MONTH" activities. The setup in DCA was kinda cool to watch (briefly) ... but again, we seemed to hit too many "brick walls" to call the day fun. Mobile ordering was failing as was the payment process at the order locations. CMs seemed overwhelmed and lacking data to give good answers ... everything seemed "off." We left with that queasy feelings of "something isn't right" but no clear picture of what was broken or how to fix it ???

We had park reservations for today (2/19) for the Gospel shows ... but cancelled midweek. We'll listen to some gospel music today around the house and "call it good." (Not up for the drive up/back just to watch a music set. Nope. Not gonna do it. Just can't muster the enthusiasm.)

This all could be easily avoided by having a CM or two assigned to keep line under control…
I just got back from WDW and anytime the line starts pouring out of a ride a CM is sent out with a sign “X Ride Line Starts Here” and sometimes it even has an estimated wait time that the CMs update as the line moves. And if the LL stretches out “X LL Starts Here”. There is basically zero line confusion. So, this absolutely does not need to be a problem. Disney has experience with handling it, they are just choosing not to in their CA park 😔

@DLgal
Plenty of CMs were standing around in other areas. Someone needs to deploy staffing to the locations that need help. Before anyone chimes in about the union rules, I totally get it. I worked at The Park for several years and belonged to my area’s union. Leadership needs to do a better job of handling staffing and guest needs. They absolutely have the ability to make a difference.
*facepalm*

I totally get where you're coming from.

Ride breakdowns are far too frequent. On some rides, many elements don't work. I can't remember the last time everything worked on Racers and a couple weeks ago, like half of the games on the left side of Midway Mania had no sound. I also had an experience with Autopia where it was 10 minutes posted but I waited 39 because all of a sudden, one of the tracks turned off. Some vehicles on the other track weren't working that well either and I saw a CM repeatedly kick a car that was refusing to start until finally, its motor clicked on. Thankfully, I wasn't one of the people stranded on the track that turned off but if I had known the wait would be that long before getting in line, I would have just done a few runs of Astro Blasters.

The confusing lines is another problem although not as serious as the maintenance issues. I often see the Lightning Lane for Web Slingers extend almost all the way to the entrance of Avengers Campus with many people who don't realize that isn't the standby line. Single Rider for Incredicoaster is another annoyance. They have this sign at the exit that is supposed to face one way when single rider is open and the other way when it's not but the CMs don't bother changing it. I've walked in only to have a CM come shoo me away because it's closed and you just have to take your chances when walking in.

On some days, I don't have too many problems. Other days, I hit several ride breakdowns in a row which leaves me very annoyed.

This really bothered me on my trip earlier this month. We rode HM twice and the hitchhiking ghosts weren’t on the mirror either time (and I was with someone riding for the first time). On RSR Mater didn’t come forward and the curtain didn’t open to show the new tires. On Indiana Jones the snake didn’t move. We rode TSM 3 times and twice my cannon only worked 50% of the time causing me to get low very scores. Some people might not notice, but for me it really hurts the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter