Temp in Dec...Water rides???

D L and K's Mom

<font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<
Well, we did it. We made our ressies for next Dec. Now I have a few questions...I know that the weather can change daily (hourly) but, for the most part will we be able to enjoy the pools, Are they heated?? Will we ba able to enjoy the water rides (Kali etc) without freezing?? We were there a few years ago in Nov and had unseasonably COLD (we bought sweatshirts and towels at Fantasmic to wear over our long sleeved shirts) I know that the weather is unpredictable but I am just wondering for the most part what was your experiences when you were there in Dec. Thanks in advance.

D and Ls Mom-
Congratulations on making your ressies! :D
DH and I were there in December and our first day was the coolest at 53 degrees when we landed at MCO around 1 PM. The other four days we were in WDW were in the upper 60s to mid 70s I'd say. The warmest day was our Animal Kingdom day so it was perfect for the Kali and we actually went on two times in a row since there were no lines! We were soaked but the warm sun prevented us from freezing.

As for the pools, they are heated but the one day we went swimming was late in the day so although the water was fine, we were a bit chilly went we got out. If you don't mind being chilled for a few moments while you make it back indoors then it should be fine! I just wanted to be able to say I went swimming in December since I certainly can't do that up here in Mass.!

All in all, I think we had great weather because it wasn't too hot to do all that walking yet it was warm enough to be in short sleeves during the day and sweatshirts at night. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I was there in December, and it was very cold most of the week. In the 50's at best. The day we went to the Animal Kingdom, it was about 50 (and eventually raining). I opted not to go on Kali because I didn't want to get soaked, but my cousin and her son went on three times right before they left, and they were soaked from the ride and the rain.

As for Splash Mountain, the lines were non-existent most of the week. When got off the ride after riding it three times in a row without getting out, a cast member said, "You must be from up north. We only get northerners riding on this ride this time of year." We definitely got wet and were a little chilly, but not bone drenched like on Kali.

As for the pools, I didn't swim at all while we were there. I like it to be really hot when I go swimming. My cousin and her son went swimming almost every day, but most kids would go swimming in any weather. The pools are heated, and if my cousin and her son got too cold, they would jump into the hot tub to warm up.

Karen

We were there Dec 7-14 and had no problems on splash mountain but then again we didn't get soaked. Didn't try Kali b/c it wasn't warm enough the day we went to AK for me to want to risk walking around in wet cold clothing. Unfortunately it rained most of the week so we only got to enjoy the pool 1 evening. It was heated and the night was somewhat mild so we enjoyed the relaxing time (only 5 other people in the pool). There were days that were really cold and I wouldn't have gone in the pool even if heated.

you just never know - first or second week in Dec in 1998 - Hot, 2000 cold then warmer, 2001 perfect.

You really need to watch the weather reports for Florida before you go. In Dec. '99 it was shortsleeves and shorts, this past Dec. '02 it was sweatshirts and jackets. We had dinner at the Rose and Crown one night and they put us on the patio. We nearly froze to death with the wind off the Lagoon and no heater nearby.

We've been several times in December and the temperature has varied widely. It doesn't rain much usually. Most of the time it's sunny and cool in the am and chilly after dark. I've seen people swimming every time. Even this past January when we were walking around in jackets there were people in the pool. You should be safe if you bring clothes you can layer and just take off what you don't need in the afternoon when it warms up then put it back on when the sun goes down. It's usually a great time to go!

We were at WDW this past christmas, and as other have posted SM was empty at 10 PM we went on 3 times with no line. It was cold, the water was not bad ,but the air was cold and it was not fun . DS 6 did not seem to mine, but I was not happy. The park was open till 11 that night and he would have ridden Sm till closing if I had let him.

We have been to WDW 4 times over christmas and it is usually 70's day time and 50's night, but one year it was in the 80's.

December is a fun time and you should have a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter