• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me why you love the Boardwalk

PamNC

DIS Veteran
Hi there. I have the Poly booked with a AAA rate of $275 a night in July. Given the AP rates at the select resorts, I'm thinking I should switch to the BW and save some $$$.

For those who love the Boardwalk. Tell me why.

We really have our heart set on the Polynesian this year. It's our favorite resort and we haven't stayed there since 2004. At first, when the AP rates came out for OKW, SS, YC, BC and BW - I said "nope, I want to stay at the Poly."

And I do want the Poly - BUT it will save me $770.00 if I switch to the BW. I LOVE YC/BC (they are my second fave) but those were not available. I guess I could keep checking.

I'm toying with what to do but I know I have to act quick because the discounts will be gone soon. We've never stayed at the BW, so I need to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Not just the good.

If the YC/BC were available, I think I would go ahead and make the switch.

All in all, I really want the Poly but $770 is nothing to sneeze at.

What do ya'll think?

PamNC

the BWV is not my favorite - prefer OKW - quieter.

that say - it is a lovely resort. the only other big problem I have with it - is no restuarant, court food or snack bar inside the resort. You must go outside along the BW to eat - unless you can get room service.

the only elevators (in both parts) are located close to the lobby.

some people have reported mold problems in the BWI part. BWV doesn't have this problem.

the good things - it has one of the best locations - between Studio and Epcot you can walk to both (or ride the boat). the BW at night can be fun!!!

BWI is a beautiful hotel. I have always found the CM's there to be wonderful and the location is just perfect. I would have no problem at all staying there, in fact, I would choose it over the Poly. That being said, if you and your family have your heart set on the Poly, I would stay there. In the long run, is it worth $700 not to stay there? If you have been dreaming about staying at the Poly for 3 years, than go for it. Have a great time with your family and enjoy!:thumbsup2

I loved the location...it was great for park hopping and we had a great view of the fireworks at EPCOT and MK from our balcony...plus the cheesecake at the bakery is fablous! That being said we did fine the resort a little dated but not to bad. We never stayed at the Poly but I bet it's nice there too.

Have fun!

I must qualify that I've only stayed at the Villas and not the Inn, so I can't speak to Inn rooms.

Location is fabulous. Walk to MGM and Epcot (much quicker than bus transport), you can rent a bicycle to ride around the boardwalk and beach club loop, lots of activities on the boardwalk to entertain.

While there is not a Boardwalk restaurant per se, you are right at ESPN Zone, Spoodles, Flying Fish, a GREAT bakery and a brew pub type restaurant. Lots of TS choices.

If you want to get to MK you can easily bus or walk to Epcot for the monorail (keep in mind that's a long walk just for the monorail, but if you park hop you can easily get back and forth.

Things to consider on the negative side:
bus transportation is sometimes shared between the Epcot resorts, so multiple stops.
One main elevator lobby and the hotel is wings off of that, so you can end up quite a ways from the lobby and elevators. Doesn't bother us because we just use the stairs anyway.

Love it though...

I'd change to BW in a second if I were you. The savings look great. AND Boardwalk is a favorite of ours. The quietest, prettiest room we've ever stayed in at WDW was at the BWI. We requested a high floor looking at the courtyard and had a lovely view on the fifth floor not too far from the elevator. We could see the back of France from our window and watched the high fireworks from our room the first night.

There is nothing like walking to MGM and Epcot whenever you want without waiting on a bus. Very pretty and pleasant walks too.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm still trying to decide what to do. We love the Epcot Resort area so I know I'll be happy with that. We often stay at the YC/BC. As far as restaurants, I'm fine with having to walk out on the boardwalk....that doesn't bother me. Nor does the bus situation as we will have a car. It's just the fact that I have my heart set on the Poly. But, we can always stay there the next time.

I dunno' - still on the fence.

I wonder if they will let me book 2 reservations. I could keep the Poly, book the BW and then I would have some time to decide. Has anyone ever done that??? Will they even allow such a thing?

One more question: how is the pool???

PamNC

Our kids (9 and 11) love the BW pool. It's their favorite slide of the ones we've tried so far (and that includes the Poly!) We love the BWV, but I understand your dilemma. The Poly is fabulous too. Good luck with your decision.

Well, I will put in a vote for the Boardwalk. It is our favorte resort. I know what you mean about having your heart set on something though. We were that way in 2004. We stayed at the WL in 04 to because DH wanted to try something different and to save a little $$. I was homesick for the Boardwalk the whole time.:sad1: I don't think you will be disappointed with BWI as a resort. It is a great place. We love the Boardwalk at night. The Boardwalk view is great. We love sitting on the balcony at night and watching the happenings below. The restaurants are great too! All I say is do what will make you happy. I know it seems silly to some but part of Disney is staying at the Boardwalk to us!:cloud9:

I love the bw it is my favorite hotel and hard to stay anywhere else. I love the whole ambiance of the hotel. I enjoy waking up in the morning and opening the balcony doors to hear the old jazz music as I get ready. I like watching all the excitement on the bw, the carnival games and streetperformers. I really enjoy that the restaurants are all outdoors it makes it seem more eventful to go to eat. The staff there is wonderful and the rooms are immaculate. If you have a boardwalk view you can see illuminations and mk fireworks froma distance. You absolutely cant beat the location and accessibility to 2 parks. Poly was my favorite before staying in bw for the first time. Give it a try and then spend the money you'll be saving on special things your family can do together.

We have stayed at the Poly many times and have decided to head back to an Epcot resort for our 4/08 trip. I currently have a reservation at the YC and would change over to the BWI for a ''good" deal. From anyone's past experiences where the discounts better at the BWI as compaired to the YC/BC?? I have been always very lucky to grab a discounted room once the discounts were released.

We did our honeymoon in 95 & 10th anniv. in 05 at the Poly- we love it! The monorail, the beach, everything is great.... BUT we tried the BW (twice: once hotel and once villas) and it is awesome! The monorail at the Poly is convenient, but you can't beat walking into EPCOT's backdoor from BW. Walk through EPCOT and hop the monrail to MK. Or walk/boat over to MGM. At this point anything to avoid the buses (or at least option for other transport- and walking is amazing! You own pace, no waiting for the bus or boat or monorail). The pool at BW is really nice with waterslide. The resort itself is beautiful and the rooms are really nicely done. Lots of space and relaxation. Restauant options are better than at the Poly. All in all- as much as I love the Poly- the BW is so much better. (BC & YC also have all the same great things as BW- but geared more toward kids with the dining options and pool). Good luck!

BWI is our favorite. We've stayed there three times. We really like the theming and atmosphere of the BWI. As you know, the location can't be beat. We really like being able to walk over to EPCOT anytime and it's really great to be able to enjoy Illuminations and walk back to the hotel. No worries about crowded busses or traffic.

I can highly recommend the BWI. It's a beautiful resort. We always ask for a room facing the courtyard and have been able to watch the high fireworks from our balcony. On one visit, we were given a free upgrade to Concierge and it was fantastic.

Have fun whatever you decide.

We really loved BWV when we were there in November. If you really have your heart set on the Poly, but want to save some money, why not do a night or 2 a the Poly and the rest at the BWI. We are doing this next month. I have always wanted to try the Poly, but can't justify the price over the great teacher rate of $149 we have at the Swan. So we are staying at the Poly for 1 night and then moving to the Swan.

The question I'd be asking myself would be "Which would I regret more, the loss of $770 or the opportunity to stay at the resort I love?"

Some things are priceless.

I've stayed at the Poly and loved being able to walk to the TTC, but we always felt like we stepped back in the '70's.

Walking to Epcot is much better than having the monrail available. We paid extra for the water view at the Poly because I was so excited to watch the fireworks from my balcony while the kids slept. We were able to schedule that in twice but made it only once,:sad2: being stuck on the monorail for 45 minutes.

Boardwalk is one of my favorite resorts of all. :goodvibes I fell in love with it the first time I stayed their in 2000 and have tried to get back to it several times since. What I like is the theme of the resort. It is elegant, yet very comfortable. I have always found the cm's to be very friendly. I have stayed in both the Inn and the DVC section and have been very happy with both sides. My family loves the pool and the proximity to the parks just can't be beat. We are staying at the Beach Club this June since we stayed their during our honeymoon 15 years ago. I really think you can't go wrong with any of the Epcot resorts. To me, they are interchangeable. I would save the $700 and stay at BWI. You will still have a fantastic time. :thumbsup2 Good luck with your decision. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter