Tell me what you can NOT do without!

Pig Pen

To all who have come to this happy place...welcome
We will be in a 2 bedroom, all adults, for 9 nights (split stay). I have only stayed in a studio before.

This weekend I am driving 2 hours to a real city to buy supplies for the trip. The following week DH and I are driving to Florida where we will buy food when we arrive.

Any suggestions of "can't do without" items that I should pick up?

Bath bombs from Basin in DTD. They are wonderful in the whirpool tubs. I took a bath EVERY night during our last visit. It's a great way to end a day at the parks.

Lemonaide mix, microwave popcorn and good doughnuts.

I don't know about the studios but the one bedrooms and larger have 2 quart pitchers so you can make lemonaide or kool-aid. I don't like to drink lots of soda and I can only take just so much plain water. The popcorn's great for a quick snack and when watching a Disney DVD with the kids.

I'm a doughnut kind of guy so when I'm on vacation that's what I've got to have first thing in the morning. I've been spoiled growing up in a small town with a great bakery. I once had them ship a dozen down for a treat for myself! :hyper: YUM!

Cheap $1 Ponchos would also be nice to have. They come folded up very tight and take up very little space. I'd hate to have to pay Disney prices for one during a rain storm.

leanne, I agree that bath bombs are a definite MUST!! No matter how bad something is, a bath bomb makes it all go away! My kids had bath bombs waiting when I checked in a couple weeks ago, after the plane trip from H*** so I turned into a happy camper on my first soak!! Of course, it mayall be in the name, since I am a Leeann, too!:p

If it helps:

I always take coffee filters - something you can get in Orlando, but, if you forget them you hate to run out at 6:00 am and try and find some. Maybe treat everyone to a bag of Starbucks coffee as well!

We also always take extra detergent for the washer. I think they will give you more free if you ask - but - I never ask - I would rather have it when I need it. You may remember to ask for more when you check in.

With 9 adults, I would certainly take alka celtzer, aspirin and maybe some ben gay!

I always find that sun block is always cheaper when you are not in FLA.

My friends always take binoculers for viewing birds from the deck.

A phone card, my cell phone never seems to work when in WDW (fades out constantly).

A recent copy of the Unofficial WDW guide is always helpful in gaining consensus on where dinner should be.

Lastly, remember a few deck of cards.

We, too, take extra detergent. Also some softner sheets.

As far as supplies, bottled water, pop (or soda depending on where you are from), and some snacks. Maybe some alcoholic beverages?

C.

When grocery shopping, pick up a couple of those huge water jugs. I cannot stand to drink the water there. We also get water bottles and water bottle bags for everyone. Fill them half-way in the evening and put them in the freezer. Fill them the rest of the way in the morning with the refrigerated water. They'll stay nice and cold for a lot longer and you'll save a BUNCH of money by not buying water bottles in the parks.

Filled salt and pepper shakers. DVC previously supplied these, but no longer do.

Could someone please tell me what kind of coffee filters we need - cone or flat??? That's definitely something we don't want to run out of.

We've rented points and are really looking forward to making our first trip to a DVC property - OKW - in May. Sure envy all you owners!

RE: MICROWAVE POPCORN
A tip I just learned a couple of months ago and have been using constantly ever since - You can pop regular popcorn in a lunch sack instead of buying microwave popcorn!!!! (Well, it was exciting to me.) Just buy a bag of plain ordinary popcorn and a supply of lunch bags - the kind you would use for your child's lunch. Put about 1/3 of a cup of popcorn in the bag (no oil or anything), and fold the top down securely.

Put in the microwave as usual, and listen for the popping to slow down - usually takes between 2 and 3 mins in my microwave. Pour real melted butter on it, sprinkle it with real salt, and that's it - real popcorn without that chemically taste, and so cheap it's practically free. We're never going back at our house.
::MinnieMo

Like I tell my wife every time we go, that is we are not leaving to go to the Congo, Orlando has everything we will need. You might want to take some pillows along, Also, since you are driving in the summer, take some Windex and paper towels to clean your windows, the bug kill can be a problem at times on your car windows. I live in Connecticut and must tell you to leave VT for your trip so you miss the AM traffic to N Y. city. We leave before 4 AM and we live less than 2 hours from the city. You made me laugh when you said you are driving to a real city to get supplies, people are going to think that living in Vermont is like living in the Congo.;) :wave:

I would swear they use the flat coffee filters - but - because that is all we ever take. But, for the life of me I cannot remember!

Keep in mind that with a timeshare, shampoo, soap, etc. is not replenished. We always bring a bottle of shampoo/conditioner for each of the two bathrooms. (You don't need to worry about paper products as they'll have extras in the unit and they will replace those as needed.)

I pack extra washcloths. I don't like reusing them if I don't have a chance to wash the towels that day.

Speaking of laundry, I like to bring a stain stick as well as detergent/softener.

I can't think of anything else that we bring other than drinks and snacks.

Could someone please tell me what kind of coffee filters we need - cone or flat??? That's definitely something we don't want to run out of.

NOT the cone kind. Bring the fluted basket style.

I agree, you aren't going to the congo. You can get almost everything you need right there.

But, if you are stopping, its cheaper to get things offsite and your selection is better.

Coffee Filters (basket kind) Buy a box at home and pack a dozen.
Good coffee, ground.
Half and Half (if you use it)

Bottled water, pop, booze, etc (if you need it)

Laundry detergent.

A lot of people like breakfast in their room. Eggs, bagels, bread for toast, cereal, milk.

Something for snacking in the evening. (Chips, popcorn, nuts)

Something that makes for a quick park snack (our kids are little, so fruit snacks, granola bars).

Food for any meals you plan on eating in.

Something you can make and eat quickly for a meal you don't plan (tuna fish or peanut butter). This comes in handy for the "we want to get food into the kids but they want to go to the pool" days.

Originally posted by Pa@okw95
Like I tell my wife every time we go, that is we are not leaving to go to the Congo, Orlando has everything we will need. You might want to take some pillows along, Also, since you are driving in the summer, take some Windex and paper towels to clean your windows, the bug kill can be a problem at times on your car windows. I live in Connecticut and must tell you to leave VT for your trip so you miss the AM traffic to N Y. city. We leave before 4 AM and we live less than 2 hours from the city. You made me laugh when you said you are driving to a real city to get supplies, people are going to think that living in Vermont is like living in the Congo.;) :wave:

Ha! My DD and Dsister are heading down to Nashua for the weekend. Have you ever shopped in Burlington VT? We have one Walmart and one mall. Everyone within 100 miles shops there and the stores always look like a bomb has gone off in them. There is NO SELECTION at all.

We are leaving Friday night after I get off work. DH is a night-shifter and will be wide awake. He wants to drive straight through, maybe stopping on Sat afternoon if we are close enough. We try to get thru Washington DC by 5:00 am.

Yes after work should be great time to leave. You might be able to get to Washington before the traffic gets too bad. The paper towels and Windex are for the drive down and back. You will get through NY at a good hour. You can go around NY by going over the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State then connect to Jersey Pike later. No, I never shopped in Burlington. I used to ski a lot at Killington and Mt Snow, never thought Vermont was like the Congo though. I guess you have to live there.:p :p

A pile of ziploc-type bags in all sizes! I use these like crazy. I get fussy if I forget just one size... I use them to store snacks, pressed pennies, and a clean washcloth in my bag. We put souvenirs in them, wet pool clothes, yukky shoes for travel home. I carry quarters and pennies for the machines and little candy bars for the kids. Can't live without my ziplocs! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter