Tell me more about the Magical Express

mplsmom1

Mouseketeer
This is new since my last visit. I think I understand the luggage thing, but how "fast" is the service? Is it available 24/7? What if you are getting into Orlando fairly late? We have usually gotten a town car, but as prices have gone up would like to save some $$. Opinions?

ME (with or without luggage) runs 24/7. How fast the luggage delivery is depends on luck apparently. Some people report getting it fairly quickly (ie a couple of hours) while some report long waits - longer than 3 hours after they arrive at the resort.

Thanks! Still trying to decide then, as we get in about 10:30 PM - I don't know if I want luggage delivered at 2 AM :scared1:

I haven't used Magical Express, but I've been doing a lot of research for our May trip.

If you don't want them to deliver your luggage, you can just not put on the yellow tags, and grab your bags yourself from the baggage claim. Bring them with you to the bus, and they'll store them underneath and give them to you when you get off at your resort.

I'm debating doing this since our flight lands at 6:30 and with kids, I don't want someone knocking on the door late at night.

Your other option is to pack a night bag to bring as a carry-on, and then let the people know at your resort's bell services area, and they'll hold it for you until the next morning.

If you want your luggage right away, do as the poster above suggested. Do not put the tags on your bags, get them yourselves. Take them to ME with you, the driver will load them and take them off (from below) and then Bell Services can take them to your room when you arrive.
I really like ME but the luggage delivery can be slow.....

Magical Express-delivered luggage may take up to three hours after you check in to your resort, to appear in your room.

If you are arriving late and do not want to be disturbed in the middle of the night, let the Front Desk CM know that; call Bell Services from your room and reiterate; and insert the "Privacy Please" card in your door's key slot.

No matter WHAT you decide to do about your luggage, a practical air traveler includes in her/his carry-on luggage whatever items will be needed for the first 24 hours at the destination. Airlines misdirect over three million pieces of luggage annually.

Guests who choose to pick up their own luggage and bring it to the Magical Express bus for the driver and then Bell Services to handle should remember (a) it is customary to tip any service person who handles your luggage ($1-$2 per bag but not less than $2 total), including bus drivers and bellhops, and (b) while Magical Express takes care of the Bell Services tip for ME delivered luggage, that is not true of Guest-handled bags.

Thanks! Still trying to decide then, as we get in about 10:30 PM - I don't know if I want luggage delivered at 2 AM :scared1:
For me, for my tastes, a late-night arrival is the BEST reason to rely on DME to deliver my luggage.

I've had a long day. And traveling late in the day just makes me that much more tired. I'm happiest to get to my room ASAP. If I have the option, I DON'T want to delay myself by even 20 minutes (or more) and stop and wait at baggage claim. I just want to be on my way ASAP.

So I let DME handle my bags. I have well-stocked carry-ons. I ask at the resort to have my bags held 'til morning. I get a good night's sleep, I call for my bags in the morning, and my WDW vacation starts wonderfully.

When traveling with children, the "get to the room and get to bed ASAP" thing is even more crucial, obviously.

If you decide to leave the luggage tags off and retrieve your bags yourself, you need to be aware that the bus driver will expect a tip for stowing, and unstowing, your bags. Yes, gratuities are included when you use DME, but they are included only if you use it the way Disney asks that it be used..with luggage tags. If you get your own bags, you need to plan on tipping.

If I were to arrive late, after 8 or so, I would still tag my bags, but I would have packed my clothes for the evening in my carryon bag, as well as clothes for the next morning.....just in case. I don't worry about DME messing up the bags but the airlines! They do sometimes misdirect bags.
Then, I would be sure I tell the front desk I want the bags held until morning, then stop at Bell Services and tell them the same thing, then put out the 'do not disturb' sign on the door before bed.

So - I think I will have ME handle my luggage and tell the front desk to hold it until morning (kaytieeldr - good point to reiteriate with Bell services). And thanks to several that pointed out with using the tags, gratuities are already included. and to bring personal items/clothing in my carry on -- I learned the carry on lesson (the hard way) many years ago! Thanks DIS'ers for the help - I'm so excited to get to go back to my very favorite place ! :love:

If we get to the resort & our room is not ready....what do we do with our carryon? I don't want to head off to the parks rolling it behind me? Can they store it until your room is ready???

If we get to the resort & our room is not ready....what do we do with our carryon? I don't want to head off to the parks rolling it behind me? Can they store it until your room is ready???

Bell services will happily do this for you.

I have a question. My husband usually carries on his laptop. Our flight gets in at 10:30 am and once we check into Pop we want to go to Downtown Disney. I doubt that our room will be ready and my husband will not necessarily be comfortable leaving his laptop with Bell Services. Thoughts?

Maggie

I have a question. My husband usually carries on his laptop. Our flight gets in at 10:30 am and once we check into Pop we want to go to Downtown Disney. I doubt that our room will be ready and my husband will not necessarily be comfortable leaving his laptop with Bell Services. Thoughts?

Maggie

If you will have a car, then leave it locked in the trunk. Otherwise, you're pretty much out of options.

Your room may very well be ready at that time. If not, check at the front desk. The resorts have the ability to store valuables for their guests.

Your room may very well be ready at that time. If not, check at the front desk. The resorts have the ability to store valuables for their guests.

There is secure storage at the front desk, and bell services has a locked cage in their storage room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter