Tell me about Spirit Airlines, found a great fare

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
Found a low price fare for Spirit Airlines. Did see that they are charging for carry-ons and checked baggage. How are they on the whole?

Many people do not like Spirit but we love them. They usually have great rates but don't expect any extras. They do charge for drinks or snacks but we don't mind since we bring our own snacks. There is no charge for carry-ons if they fit under your seat and checked baggage is only for 40 lbs each so make sure you weigh your luggage. We have flown with them at least 50 times and I think our flight has only been late once for a weather delay.

I would love to tell you about Spirit Airlines, but I'm afraid I would end up being charged a fee. :rotfl: Be prepared to be nickled and dimed for everything if you book with them. I think their latest is a $5 fee per ticket for booking on their web site. Give me a break!

Spirit is the public transit of airlines. if you go in with low expectations you wont be disappointed. :thumbsup2 We've flown them a few times, some good, some really bad. And bad being filthy planes and complaining flight attendants. However, our flights were on time and the price is right.
To fly out of Toronto for us is $1900 for three people. Spirit out of Detroit will be $1200. Crazy! Our flight is less than 2 hours so I'll suck it up to save that kind of cash. And that included premium seats.

It all depends on your expectations. We flew spirit last summer, and although I think the $1,000 in savings is well worth it, my husband will never fly Spirit again.

They do charge you for every little thing (checking bags, booking seats online, onboard snacks. etc.) Also, it is very hard to find someone who speaks good English, sometimes it can be frustrating when calling about your flight (plus there's always a long wait.)

The seats are very close to each other, and we found our plane to be filthy.

HOWEVER, if you go in expecting it to not be wonderful...I think that the money saved is well worth it.

We have flown Spirit a few times. It is far from my choice airline for numerous reasons. Price has to be SIGNIFICANTLY lower to justify flying them and you need to know and figure in ALL of the fees!! If you have small kids and don't want to chance them sitting alone, you must pay ahead for an assigned seat - starts at $10 per seat each way. Checked luggage must be less than 40 pounds (industry standard is $50) so add in the cost of possibly an extra suitcase if you flying a family PLUS the possible cost of a larger rental car if needed to accommodate the extra luggage. Carry-ons cost more than the checked bag, so not worth it. Plan on printing your boarding pass before getting to the airport (both directions), or you will pay for that. Seats have the LEAST leg room in the industry, so if you are tall or have a long flight, you may want to consider paying a premium for the BIG FRONT seat.

As long as everything goes as planned, SPirit is fine. If you need to change a flight, be prepared for some aggrevation and big change fees. Customer service is not very helpful. If you miss a flight (or connecting flight) or your plane is delayed, that is where big trouble occurs. Spirit does not play well with other airlines. They have limited flights and you may not be on a plane for the next day or two (depending if next flight has room or not). Seems they would rather refund your money rather than help you get home or off to your vacation. There are some people who have really horrible experiences on Spirit.

Glad we are flying Jet BLue next trip (actually cheaper than SPirit!!) $1000 is a lot of money - probably worth the chance to try SPirit. Just remember - low expectation = low regrets.

I found some reviews and I am definitely going to pass. I'll spend a little more to fly Delta or another carrier.

Found a low price fare for Spirit Airlines. Did see that they are charging for carry-ons and checked baggage. How are they on the whole?

We flew Spirit recently ( did the 1 more day 2/29) because I got (what I thought) an awesome deal. Basically, it was $440 round-trip for 4 people. What I didn't take into consideration was the bags. They are very strict w/ the 40 lb and will charge additional for over that weight. They even charge for a carry-on bag, as a matter of fact they charge more.

That being said, I was happy w/ it, but I didn't get the deal I was all excited for. Plus I did pay extra to insure I sat next to my kids. I thought it strange to not have you would have to pay to insure sitting next to your child.

Next time I will compare total price (bags, seat assignments, etc) before booking w/ them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter