Tell me about Ohana's Dinner

peainapod

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for a family trip in a few days and just happen to be celebrating our 1st anniversary while we are there.

Tell me about Ohana for dinner?

It's about the LAST place I'd pick for an Anniversary:)

Loud, children running around all over the place.

We are leaving for a family trip in a few days and just happen to be celebrating our 1st anniversary while we are there.

Tell me about Ohana for dinner?

As the PP said, it will be loud! :goodvibes

Ohana dinner will start off with bread, salad, potstickers, wings, noodles and broccoli. All were pretty good when we we there, though the wings weren't my favorite, and I really love wings. They were kind of soggy...

Then comes the meats, chicken, beef, pork, shrimp...on skewers. We found the meats to be good. Nothing mind blowing but tasty.

Then dessert is bread pudding and ice cream. That was pretty yummy!! I had never had bread pudding before and this was good.

Everything is served family style and you can have as much as you want.

We were there in July and celebrating our 10th anniversary and my birthday during that trip and if we wanted to, we could have gone up and gotten recognized for our celebrations, but I was all set with that. :laughing:

We had a good experience there, though I would chose a different place to celebrate an anniversary. We had our anniversary dinner and Artist Point which was really nice.

You will have fun though!! :goodvibes

Thanks. Would The Wave be better for just the two of us? Since we don't have a car, I wanted something on the MK monorail line. Both of us aren't really fancy food eaters LOL. The Wave's menu looked good.

I LOVE Ohana for dinner! Love love love it!

It's not the quietest or most romantic place for an anniversary but it's really fun and if you go on a night when Wishes is on you can see it from the restaurant and they pipe the music in. It's a must do for us.

I love the food - sooo yummy! I actually dream about the pot stickers and the noodles! And the MEAT! Scrummy.

It's about the LAST place I'd pick for an Anniversary:)

Loud, children running around all over the place.

I agree with this. Its definitely the last place i'd pick for an anniversary. Not only cause of the noise and such, but the food isnt great. Slimy wings, dry noodles, potstickers, and meat. The only meat i cared for was the chicken. The salad and bread were good too, so was dessert. But everything else was awful. I would not be going back nor would i recommend it to any one who asks.

The Wave is a better idea. Not sure if you like the Kona menu, or GF cafe. Check out the menu and see which you like best. Out of the two i'd probably go with GF cafe.

Go with whichever menu appeals to you most because your personal tastes should be the final deciding factor.

But for what it's worth, DH and I have celebrated an anniversary at 'Ohana and have eaten there several times over the years, and plan to have dinner there again on our next trip. I can't speak about the wings because for the apps I'm too busy eating the pot stickers. I liked the noodles and veggies very much, and enjoyed the selection of meats as well. It can be noisy, but you're in WDW, and the theming is lovely.

The Wave, to me, is just such a boring space: no windows, no theming, no particular decor. It doesn't say "celebration" to me at all. It just says "food in a conference center in an unidentified hotel in an unidentified place".

I know a lot of people love Ohana, but my husband got ill eating there and we will never go back. He typically has a rock gut but that did him in. We even had the Character Breakfast there the next morning and he stayed in the room because he was so sick and would not go back.

Now this was 5 years ago but you know once you have a bad experience.:sad2:

Like everyone else said its not quiet or the most romantic setting but you will enjoy it.

We went for the first time on our trip last month, my Dad and I really enjoyed it, but my Mum and my brother not so much. I felt like we were a little rushed - it is a lot of food! If you can maybe request a table by the window at the right time so you can see Wishes, that might make it more romantic :)

I'm with Uncleromulus on this (as I usually am). 'Ohana is not a great place if you are looking for a romantic way to celebrate your first anniversary.

IMHO, 'Ohana is not really a great dining experience to start with. We've been several times and finally had enough of dried out, over cooked food in endless supply. The games are entertaining for a while, but after a bit you really begin to appreciate the quiet that follows them.

Suggestions for a non-fancy restaurants nearby: Kona, Narcoossee's or Artist Point. AP being the most romantic of the three.

We have always had great experiences at 'Ohana over the past 12 years, but it IS very loud! The food has been consistent for us, and my kids call it a do-not-miss restaurant. ;)
It may not be romantic, but 'Ohana is a fun atmosphere with amazing food! :thumbsup2

OP, if you're looking for something not too terribly fancy but located on the monorail, The Grand Floridian Cafe is a great location. It's often overlooked but it has a great menu. Check it out!

I like Ohana but not in this context.
I will also point out that smaller parties seem to get the short end of the stick at Ohana. The servers are so busy with giant tables that you end up being a lower priority. I have never seen more as many big annoying groups eating anywhere else at WDW.
I'll stick up for the Wave. I like the menu and the service. I like the fact that it is tucked away. To me it is a nice change of pace from the typical WDW dining experience. I think it would be a very good choice, and you can always hop the monorail to Poly for an after dinner drink and fireworks on the beach.

Thanks. Would The Wave be better for just the two of us? Since we don't have a car, I wanted something on the MK monorail line. Both of us aren't really fancy food eaters LOL. The Wave's menu looked good.

GFC is a really nice quiet place. Food is good and you can get it plain or sub for sides if you want too. Something I found not so much at Wave. It is a pretty place and hopefully you can get a table by the windows for a great view. The Wave doesn't have windows. I feel like it is kinda cavelike. Lol! Although the lounge is cool!

We all *want* to love 'Ohana, and obviously some do. The quality of the food and the service is inconsistent at best. That means the people here who say it was their favorite meal, best meal ever, etc are absolutely sincere. But so are the people who say the place is noisy, the food overcooked, and the server inattententive. I think the certainties are that it will be crowded, and somewhat noisy. Otherwise, anything is possible. Happy Anniversary:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter