• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

teens going door to door to practice public speaking????

mtemm

<font color=teal>Doubly blessed<br><font color=dar
we have had several teens (2 at a time) come over the past few weeks to ask to practice public speaking. I don't recognize any of them, and can't imagine what it is all about. I vaguely remember reading about something like this on here but can't seem to find it. any ideas what this is all about? for some reason they remind me of the kids who try to sell magazines door to door (not for a local high school or group organization).

anyone know?

Very weird. Never heard of that and as much as I like when kids are practicing skills--I am not a fan of being their audience.

No weirder than what we use to do in our drama class. We would go to the 24 hour grocery store around midnight and put on our performance in front of the people buying their groceries.

The people in the store always thought it was funny and it gave us good experience preforming in front of strangers.

Do you ask for more details...ie. which school they go to, name of the teacher, whether or not they live in the neighborhood? Without good answers I'd think they were casing the joint. (or maybe it's really all for a psych project!!!)

ETA: isn't school out of session right now? Then I'd really be suspicious!

Did you let them engage you? I'm pretty sure they were probably selling magazines and that's just their entry line.

I’d be a little suspicious that they were staking out my house to see what I had inside. Also people have been known to distract a home owner at their front door while another person is breaking into the back of the house. Yes I’m a paranoid person. I never answer my door to people I don’t know. I just let the dog bark.

I used to get those in MN. I learned to "not be home" when they came knocking. They tried to sell magazines.

Sounds fishy to me too! Anytime we have any fundraiser at our schools the first rule is DO NOT GO DOOR TO DOOR. Most likely these kids were casing your house. Unfortunately I work in criminal defense and we represent an 18 year old who tried to break into a woman's house posing as the gas man.

No weirder than what we use to do in our drama class. We would go to the 24 hour grocery store around midnight and put on our performance in front of the people buying their groceries.

The people in the store always thought it was funny and it gave us good experience preforming in front of strangers.

There is a huge difference between a performance of any kind in a public venue (where one assumes you have permission to be on the property
to do that...but even if you didn't)...

Than going door to door on private property and actively soliciting an audience.

No issues with the practice or the performance.
Just the venue should not be my doorstep without an invitation.

so it does sound like it might be connected to the magazine sales. I almost wish I had let them talk a bit to see what their "subject" was. I just said I wasn't interested and sent them on their way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter