Teens and Money

suzymac

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! Taking my first Disney cruise on 4/16 with DS14 and DS9. What kind of spending money will I need to set aside for them? If my teenager is spending time in the teens club, will he need money for extras while he's there? I have nightmares about checking out and learning that he's spent hundreds on smoothies and the internet.

:welcome: to the DIS boards!

From some reports you have valid concerns. You can revoke charging privilages for the kid's cards. There is truely no reason I can think of for a 14yo to have charging privs. They can get free food and drink almost any time of the day on deck 9. That should keep them happy. :)

Hi everyone! Taking my first Disney cruise on 4/16 with DS14 and DS9. What kind of spending money will I need to set aside for them? If my teenager is spending time in the teens club, will he need money for extras while he's there? I have nightmares about checking out and learning that he's spent hundreds on smoothies and the internet.

We have always let our Daughter have charging privileges as she is very responsible, if she was not trustworthy I would say no way. You know your kids the best:thumbsup2 set up the ground rules ahead of time and monitor your account.

Rob

Unfortunately, the charging priviledges are all or nothing. You are unable to set a dollar limit on your child's card and everything on the ship is cashless. But you are able to go to Guest Services as often as you like and have them print out your room charges.

We bought our 11 year old an arcade card with $10. on it. But they have the wii and other video games in clubs so they should be fine.

They can have all the soda (coke products) hot chocolate etc at the drinking station on deck 9. I will only cost you something if you get smoothies that they sell in the theater or any soda from the bars. Room service as well charges but they do not charge for chocolate milk and cookie for a late night snack. :thumbsup2 Only a tip.

The internet you have to purchase a package...I believe. We don't do this because Hubby thought it was too much money and we are on vacation.

Personally? I do no charges for my kids.. even the oldest. if they want something- they can come get me. :lmao:

I will tell you though that if you have an internet package and tell them the password- they can still add up minutes on that... that has nothing to do with charging privileges though (unless your concern was them BUYING an internet package- but as for running up time on internet that is only if you have a pkg and they know the password to it).

Also in the teen stack if they have "smoothie time" it's free. I found that out on the last cruise- if it's the activity in the teen stack there is no charge- anywhere else the smoothies would cost.

My DD was 14 on the last cruise- first time in the stack- and she never needed spending money. Now there were a few times we asked where she'd been/what she'd done and she said she had gone with friends who wanted to do things (including shopping in the gift shops) but she didn't ask for anything until WE were shopping with her. So that part only depends on your child-if she wants to have money to buy stuff when others are?

Only you know your kids and their level of responsibility.

We've done three cruises with our kids. One HAL, one Disney and One NCL America. They were 11 and 15, 12 and 16 and 16 and 20 on each cruise. Never restricted their charges. Total charges for both kids for three cruises...$6. My son spilled food on his tie on the Magic and had to have it dry cleaned.
We cruised on the Magic before free soda, but Topsiders was always open when they wanted a glass of fruit punch. And DS drinks more milk than you can believe, which was free on two of the three cruises. We did get a soda card on HAL because the only free beverages they had were iced tea, hot tea and coffee. They just never found anything they wanted to due or drink that cost extra.

The teens NEED nothing in The Stack. The only thing they can purchase there is a smoothie (free during "smoothie party" on the Navigator, charged at other times). I tell mine to take her rear end to the beverage station and get a coke! But I'm mean and cheap.

I give DD a $50 budget for a 7 day cruise and tell her that anything she doesn't spend on the ship, she will get in cash after the cruise. That way, if she wants a smoothie or t-shirt, she can get it. I've never had her exceed her limit.

As above, you cannot limit charging on the ship--it is all or none. However, you can set a limit for your child, and they can be responsible. You/they can check the status of their account at any time by going to Guest Services.

My DD wants charging privileges and I think she is responsible, I just do not see the reason why she needs it. As mentioned previously, if she wants something, she can find me. I have more of a fear of her card lost of stolen and charges are made before reported stolen. :confused3

In my 19 cruises, we've never been able to check charges on the TA....this is current as of Feb. 15, 2009 (B2B Wonder). If it's changed, that's great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter